Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Industry News: Average Age Of A Vehicle Stands At 11.4 Years

A new report from IHS Automotive says the average age of a vehicle on the road stands at 11.4 years, the same age as last year. This is change from the past few years where the age was climbing steadily.

"In our history of tracking, we have seen a gradual increase in the average age of vehicles on the road. This year, we're seeing somewhat of a plateau in the market, and expect it to remain over the next few years, without a major change in either direction. We attribute this to a number of factors, including the economy and the increasing quality of today's automobiles," said Mark Seng, director, aftermarket solutions and global aftermarket practice leader at IHS Automotive.

But IHS is predicting that the average age will creep up to 11.5 year by 2017, and up to 11.7 by 2019.

IHS also reports that at the end of 2013, there were 252.7 million light vehicles operating U.S. roads. This is up by 3.7 million vehicles when compared to 2012.

Source: IHS Automotive

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

A bit ashamed to report I am only at 10 yrs old on my DD. In the past It's been 29 and 28.

Still hopefully on track to add a 74 yr old vehicle to the road this year.

40COE_zps90815d49.jpg

Edited by balthazar

Cars are more reliable and last longer now. Plus, cars are rather expensive also. I would imagine a lot of people can't afford to buy a new car every 5 years or so, so they hold on to them for 10 years.

I love my 94 GMC LTE Suburban, not letting that go any time soon.

It's been almost 10 years since I bought a new vehicle, and my 3 vehicles average out to 14.5 years old. I may be replacing a vehicle later this year, so the average age may go down for me.

Too bad I had to replace the 99 Park Avenue Ultra for the 08 Lucerne. I really like the Lucerne, admittedly more than the PA. Then again, I will probably hang onto the Lucerne for at least 5-7 years.

If today's new cars were priced as if it was 1980, then the average age of cars would drop like a stone. Reliability and cheaper/easier to fix are the best reasons to hang onto older models.

Just realized my average age for all my auto's is 12.25. Not bad, Not bad at all! :P

^ If I go that way on currently-owned vehicles, my number is 47.8 (tho only the 10-yr old job is registered).

Of the 22 vehicles I've owned, the average model year is 1965.

^ If I go that way on currently-owned vehicles, my number is 47.8 (tho only the 10-yr old job is registered).

Of the 22 vehicles I've owned, the average model year is 1965.

All of mine are still registered / licensed. So I be good with it. Though I do love driving my 94 suburban the most. Cannot wait till I finish the conversion to CNG so I can drive it all the time.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook