Buick News: Buick Envision Teased, Premieres In China Later This Year

The Buick lineup is currently has two crossover, the small Encore and the large Enclave. There's a large gap for midsize crossover to fill that gap and Buick appears to being doing just that. Well for China at least.

Buick has revealed a teaser for the upcoming Envision Crossover lwhich happens to be cloaked and parked in between the Encore and Enclave. The brand says the model was inspired by the Envision concept and will feature "dynamic and assertive styling."

The Envision Crossover will debut sometime later this year in China. No word if this model will go to the U.S. or not.

Source: Buick

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected]or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

Press Release is on Page 2

All-New Buick Envision to Make Premiere in China

New model will set benchmark for high-end midsize SUVs

2014-07-01

SHANGHAI – Shanghai GM today announced that its all-new high-end midsize SUV, the Buick Envision, will make its premiere in China later this year.

Inspired by the Buick Envision concept vehicle, the newest member of the Buick SUV family has dynamic and assertive styling. It fuses iconic Buick design cues with the brand's new high-end, refined global design concepts.

The Envision adopts a new-generation powertrain along with GM's new all-wheel-drive technology. The fuel-saving start/stop technology will come standard across the line. The model is destined to set a new benchmark in China's high-end midsize SUV segment for space, safety, performance and specifications.

The new model will complement the Encore and new Enclave in Buick's China SUV portfolio, providing a range of choices for SUV buyers.

View full article

I am guessing this will share the same platform as the Chevrolet Equinox/Cadillac SRX/GMC Terrain offerings.

From another article I've read it's built on Delta or a modified Delta platform..probably what the NG Equinox/etc will be on.

Customers do love them, but at Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc the top sellers are still sedans.

So why don't all those traditionally-car-only companies stick with cars only??

Because they go where the money is...CUVs and SUVs are profit centers...not that there is anything new or surprising about these brands having CUVs or SUVs--they've had them for 10-15 years or more now.  Nothing new.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly I wish GM stays away from Same Sausage Different Dimensions strategy Germans have been working with with no design creativity. But guised under "Brand Recognition", is cost cutting.

I support a lasting family resemblance, something the Asian manufacturers are clueless about.  What I do not care for is the Opel-esque hockeystick bodyline on a Buick.  It needs a Sweepspear.  We've seen the spy shots of the new Verano, which, happily, has gained some more Buick DNA with its Sweepspear.

I read this thing is about 183 inches long, this could produce a Cadillac to go below the SRX, although the SRX bases around $35k, I'd imagine Buick is looking to price the Envision around $30k to split the difference between Encore and Enclave.  But Cadillac's new boss wanted to take Infiniti into the small and compact area, I bet he will want to do the same somehow with Cadillac.  Tough though with Buick and GMC there.

I read this thing is about 183 inches long, this could produce a Cadillac to go below the SRX, although the SRX bases around $35k, I'd imagine Buick is looking to price the Envision around $30k to split the difference between Encore and Enclave.  But Cadillac's new boss wanted to take Infiniti into the small and compact area, I bet he will want to do the same somehow with Cadillac.  Tough though with Buick and GMC there.

If he does this he needs to be fired, only an idiot will go luxury compact or luxury subcompact. So far the companies that have done that have failed. Just look at the hideous ugly rebadge scion that Aston Martin did called the sygnet.

It looks like a properly restyled Vue/Captiva (which is 180.1" in overall length) with enough makeup on to hide that fact from the general public.   As long as the interior is similarly restyled, I don't have a problem with this. 

Though I have my doubts as to this exact design model coming to the U.S., I suppose it is possible. 

I bet it comes to the USA, because the Encore is really little, and the Enclave is over 200 inches long and has 3 rows of seats.  It would be like Chevy selling a Sonic and Impala with nothing in between.  But as they continue to fill the Buick-GMC showrooms with Buick SUVs, what does that do to GMC?  At one point Buick was cars, GMC was trucks, sort of like Jaguar-Land Rover.  But if Buick has 3 crossovers, and Chevy makes the same stuff GMC makes, does GMC really need to exist, unless GMC was going to be a work truck brand like Ram sort of is.

I think Cadillac should make a crossover off the CTS, but I can see the bean counters saying that costs too much, lets turn this Buick into a Cadillac to compete with the GLA, Q3, X1, X3, and the Lincoln Escape.

I can see this coming to America, a butch upped wagon as a CUV with higher seating position. The interior is lovely and the exterior actually is very pleasing. I can see this in America on the roads here in AWD form. :D

Interesting Engine Spec's

Envision will be powered by a 2.0 turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine with 260hp and 353nm or 260Lb-Ft or torque, sending power all four wheels via a 6-speed automatic transmission.

It looks good, but it's really just a restyled Captiva with a Regal powertrain. 

The interior could carry over... I see the lower HVAC controls are lifted directly out of the Regal as well and the instrument panel is from the Lacrosse. 

I do think the exterior will get more tweaks for the US.

GMC Buick will now have 2 overlapping vehicles with not many dissimilarities in the same showroom. If that is the case why didn't the GMC Granite get approved? At least it was a good concept that was well received. Small CUVs are the next battleground and it would be ideal for GM to prop that segment with three flavors and make money.