Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Aura Doesn't Measure Up to "Expectations"

Buick is in China...time to put on the thinking cap.

OK so a Camaro, an Impala and a Buick Statesman imported from China? Am I getting close?

Sounds logical, but wouldnt it be ironic if the oldest American brand became the first china built vehicle to land in the US?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all- thanks for moving this for me. :thumbsup: Sometimes I'm in a hurry.

I am tired of waiting too.

If Saturn is to be transformed, it should have either waited for the new Opel products and allowed all of this cash flow to be put into Buick/Pontiac (even SAAB) first, and then change Saturn, maybe we wouldn't be stuck with second-rate as opposed to what everyone else gets.

Because, if GM "promised" that these new Saturns will only differ in "minor detail" compared to Opels, why aren't/don't they?

A 3.5L OHV V6 is not a "minor difference" compared to the powertrain options available in the Vectra, nor is a four-speed automatic coupled with this engine. I admit that the 3.6L is available with the new 6-speed, but that is NOT the point here.

Some Vectra selections? 1.8 I4/2.2 I4/3.2L V6 ECOTEC, and the diesels in addition to the new 2.8L TURBO V6.

Sorry, I give Saturn one more product cycle.

If GM's claims do not measure up, I will hold my breath for them no more.

Edited by MyerShift

I'm guessing they'll watch very closely the relative sales of G6 vs Aura, and if Aura does well then Pontiac will gracefully fade away.

GM will probably concentrate its (limited) resources on Chevy, Opel (which would = Saturn from Astra/Ion onwards) and Cadillac.  Buick / GMC stays as a limited US-only sales channel selling moderately gussied up Chevy cars and trucks respectively.

I don't think they'll fade away. I think GM may move Pontiac away from a volume sales division to more of a sporty niche division.

• 2 months later...

When does the first Aura go on sale? I'd love to see some and get a brochure on it (a full one-I got an Aura/Outlook double-feature a couple weekends back), and it looks like a great car, but....its about as revolutionary as the Ford Fusion-a likewise nice car with decent styling but not as inspired as it could be, but hopefully come 2010, that'll change.

There's only two cars I think I could recommend with the least faults: Ford Fusion-and this one!

Sorry everyone, it's just that I can't wait until Saturn really mirrors Opel- with turbocharged powerplants, and diesels, and all that good stuff...Xenon lights.

I'll wait, because it looks so good.

I can't wait for the Astra!

And, let's get some bright, hot colours for the Aura.

When I see the current Chrysler Sebring sedans on the road...I think, man that looks very similar to the new Aura.

169406[/snapback]

Just wait until you see an Aura on the road. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Trust me on this.

In other words it's Pontiac G6 modified to look startilingly like a Opel Vectra?? I don't get it.

132324[/snapback]

Yes....of the time I spent sitting in Vectras in Frankfurt....and all the scanning I do of Vectra tests in the British mags....the AURA only resembles the Vectra in the headlight clusters. The interiors are totally 100% different-looking.

Except that it's also a version of the Saab, which handles pretty well for a front driver.

133715[/snapback]

Saab 9-3 shares WAY more with Vectra than G6.

In THIS instance, AURA is a gussied-up G6 as opposed to a gussied-up 9-3.

I'm afraid that AURA also is saddled with G6's high curb weight also....with curb weights being around 3,500-3,600lbs.

It's been decently highly regarded.

The British mags like it.....but agree it's not as good as the class-leaders.

171274[/snapback]

Ehhh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7PIIzLu50w

"This has to be one of the worst chassis I've ever ever come across. There's only one word to describe this car. It begins in S, ends in T, and it isn't soot."

And Car and Driver on the 9-3 Aero:

"A steering rack with less friction and more feedback would heighten our enjoyment. Body roll and structure flex distracted us with vibrations through the seats and floorboards. Over bumps the 9-3 stepped heavily with hard impacts that sent quivers through the body."

Ehhh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7PIIzLu50w

"This has to be one of the worst chassis I've ever ever come across. There's only one word to describe this car. It begins in S, ends in T, and it isn't soot."

And Car and Driver on the 9-3 Aero:

"A steering rack with less friction and more feedback would heighten our enjoyment. Body roll and structure flex distracted us with vibrations through the seats and floorboards. Over bumps the 9-3 stepped heavily with hard impacts that sent quivers through the body."

171322[/snapback]

Well most of them I've read in the mags have been decently positive....what can I say....

The interiors are totally 100% different-looking.

171265[/snapback]

And not in a good way. Granted the Vectra exterior styling is getting old and tired but the interior is first class.

The Aura would have been about perfect in the styling department as a total package if it were to have shared the Vectra's interior.