1986 Pontiac Grand Prix LE video

Old timers around here know, my second car was an '81 Grand Prix, silver with black landau top and dark red vinyl bucket seat interior... and the pathetic 231 V6.  On top of that, it was the first year of Computer Command Control for these cars... the ECM that has seemingly become essential since then... but it was full of bugs.  It was breathless, it suffered from "run-on", it would try to keep running after the key was shut off.  It was a good looking car, no doubt, even on its skinny whitewalls and alt design Rallye rims.  This is pretty much what it looked like:

005.jpg

Except I think mine had a narrow rocker molding that only extended between the wheels.  ANYHOO, I wish it had been a good running car, but it wasn't.

Edited by ocnblu

• 2 weeks later...

My mom had a maroon with dark red vinyl top and dark red velour cloth buckets '83 GP LJ that had a 3.8L V6. My mom owned the car 10 years and put 80k on it. It was the car I learned how to drive in and happy many happy childhood memories with. I was saddened when she drove her new '93 Plymouth Sundance home and traded the GP in without telling me.

I still keep my eye on that dealer-owned '87 LE (former Pontiac-Cadillac dealership, now an AC Delco repair shop) and found a couple '81-'86 GPs on Craigslist today ;-)

• 5 months later...

Old timers around here know, my second car was an '81 Grand Prix, silver with black landau top and dark red vinyl bucket seat interior... and the pathetic 231 V6.  On top of that, it was the first year of Computer Command Control for these cars... the ECM that has seemingly become essential since then... but it was full of bugs.  It was breathless, it suffered from "run-on", it would try to keep running after the key was shut off.  It was a good looking car, no doubt, even on its skinny whitewalls and alt design Rallye rims.  This is pretty much what it looked like:

005.jpg

Except I think mine had a narrow rocker molding that only extended between the wheels.  ANYHOO, I wish it had been a good running car, but it wasn't.

I had this exact same year car but it was white with a light green bench seat interior. The difference was that it had the far better Pontiac 4.3 liter 265 V8 option. On paper this little V8 only made a mere 10 more horses and 15 additional torque but mine had the 129.00 optional trailer towing package which included 2.93:1 rear gears in place of the lame 2.29's. With the smoother V8 and better gearing this car had little trouble moving out and keeping up with fast moving traffic for the time and always seemed to run good well over 100K miles.

• Upvote 1