NG Malibu

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it, actually.  They will likely be the same corporate units.  C'mon Chevy...prove me wrong!

Well, unlike the Aura's radio and HVAC controls, the ones in evok posted don't seem to have been simply rammed into the dashboard.

Thanks for the pic Evok!

Not to change the subject, but with Pontiac not having an EPII planned for a G6 replacement... and Hudson stating that there isn't a RWD vehicle planned for production in NA for Pontiac:

I don't know what YOUR source is, but MY source (General Motors) doesn't have a Pontiac in the plan for production in North America and doesn't have a Camaro ready for the 2008 model year.

Where does that leave Pontiac when EPI & W-Body end? Theta is going to GMC or Buick. Lambda went to GMC & Buick. True, a limited production GTO could be imported from AU again... but for what reason if there isn't any other product but Kappa?

Thanks for the pic Evok!

Not to change the subject, but with Pontiac not having an EPII planned for a G6 replacement... and Hudson stating that there isn't a RWD vehicle planned for production in NA for Pontiac:

Where does that leave Pontiac when EPI & W-Body end? Theta is going to GMC or Buick. Lambda went to GMC & Buick. True, a limited production GTO could be imported from AU again... but for what reason if there isn't any other product but Kappa?

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but to me it's the end of Pontiac. So GM could close Orion.

Where does that leave Pontiac when EPI & W-Body end?

In the... dumpster?...

I hope that's not the case, as I see Pontiac having potential as a youthful 'excitement' brand if things are done right.

No it is just some CAD work that Vineet Maheshwari has contributed to the GMX-386 Malibu Interior in Prune, India.

I think he does good work.  I wonder what GM thinks?

I think his colorization is completely f*cked up and ruins the image of what it really

looks like. It might be wise to edit that image out asap- It doesn't belong to you!

It's not yours to share....What your'e doing hurts GM

Edited by mightymouse

I think his colorization is completely f*cked up and ruins the image of what it really

looks like. It might be wise to edit that image out asap- It doesn't belong to you!

You stole it. You are not part of the solution, what your'e doing hurts GM

Get with the program. In do time and on my schedule I will show everyone the source. With a little bit of effort you can find it also.

BTW watch what you say and do not accuse me of stealing anything. This info is in the public domain already. I just happened to find it. And I can assure you and all that it was not found on a GM website, an affiliate or supplier website.

Let me put it this way, GM just paid a price for globalization. They need to get their global security in order. Hell I even posted the name of the source of the picture above.

Edited by evok

Get with the program.  In do time and on my schedule I will show everyone the source.  With a little bit of effort you can find it also. 

BTW watch what you say and do not accuse me of stealing anything.  This info is in the public domain already.  I just happened to find it.  And I can assure you and all that it was not found on a GM website, an affiliate or supplier website.

Let me put it this way, GM just paid a price for globalization.  They need to get their global security in order.  Hell I even posted the name of the source of the picture above.

Sorry - I know you did not steal it. You still aren't helping.

I am pissed for reasons mentioned in the PM I sent...

Sorry - I know you did not steal it. You still aren't helping.

I am pissed for reasons mentioned in the PM I sent...

CK your PM. I understand where you are coming from. Now you should understand where I am coming from also.

Edited by evok

Since it was me who was tarred & feathered for initially suggesting some time back that the GMX386 program as it then stood had come into jeopardy (downscaled, delayed, cancelled, altered in a fundamental way?) and that it was part of a larger rethink of the Epsilon2 architecture, I'll chime in.

To preface, I don't know the absolute truth and don't want to convey in any way that I do. Here's my current thinking, however, based upon the latest data available to me:

A new Chevrolet Malibu will indeed launch in the fourth quarter of 2007, consistent with the schedule it has been on for some time now (was previously planned for a second quarter launch in 2008. The vehicle will be a 2008MY.

The program was rescaled and it will not be a true "EPSILON2" vehicle. Instead, it will ride on a slightly altered EPSILON platform. Wheelbase will stretch ever-so-slightly, overall dimensions grow incrementally, that kind of thing.

I'm expecting the 2.4L (with available BAS hybrid), 3.5L (standard AFM), and 3.9L (standard AFM). 6-speed automatic transmission.

Because this isn't EPSILON2, AWD is not possible. It had previously been planned for the program. The move away from EPSILON2 is in part cost-related.

Malibu likely won't ride on the EPSILON2 platform until 2012.

isnt this all cost related and it wont be until after 07 at least that programs can officially get back on the books, so to speak.

?

No.

There is no magical transformation occurring 1 January 2007 that suddenly allows all these programs to exist. This is the reality for the next 5 or so years. GM is finally learning to efficiently allocate their cash resources.

contracts, buyouts, strike threats?

isnt that continuing through this and next year?

granted it does appear they have a better idea about suppliers and more

efficient ways of money managing as of late.

also, it was the delphi and union costs that originally had them rethink their cash investments--prob going back to the unloading of subaru/fuji investment and thus the zeta development.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

No.  This will likely be an interior refresh and a slight exterior refresh if anything.  If the exterior is changed, it will likely be the rear since that wasn't changed with the initial refresh.

Are you being serious?

Are you being serious?

Why wouldn't I be? This was a redesign that was scaled back. I will be surprised (in a good way) if it is more than what I outlined above, especially given its 3-yr cycle. Just no point in committing that much money to a glorified MCE.

I actually find that interior rather bland, derivative, and outdated. Stylewise, it falls in line with the current Accord and Sonata. Really no innovation, weak dual cockpit execution...This should have been the interior on the 2004 Malibu, IMO.

Guest Josh

Croc is being fed a line of bull$h!. The kid has no idea with what he's been "told" is right or wrong.

As far as the picture. It stays because well, GM f@#ked up again.....this time legal can't say $h! about it unless they realize it will leak and we will allow it to be posted. Legally.

Croc is being fed a line of bull$h!. The kid has no idea with what he's been "told" is right or wrong.

Yea...GM internal documents are all a load of bull$h! :rolleyes:

Believe what you want; I really couldn't care less. As always, we will see who is right and who is not in a few short months :AH-HA_wink:

Then again, the LaCrosse's immediate predecessor (Century/Regal) had an 8 yr run with the W-body and minimal changes...

LaCrosse, GP, and Impala are ALL on the same basic architecture that arrived in 1988 (18 years ago) on the new GM-10/W-Body coupes. The 1997 W-bodies were a refresh of the '88 generation....and the current cars are a refresh of the '97's.

It was stretched a bit for the arrival of the Lumina coupe, but other than that, they have the same architecture. That's a LONG run.....

Sure exteriors and interiors have been changed, but the basic structure/chassis/architecture IS 18 years old. Just look at the long front-and-rear overhangs.......

Oh shut up, you haven't seen anything.  The Malibu just needs a better interior really.  If it had a first-rate interior, it would be selling quite well.

Interior AND exterior.

Even with the recent refresh, the car is still incredibly dumpy and not something that looks like it should compete with Camry/Accord/Altima/Mazda6/Fusion, etc....

The basic Epsilon chassis is solid but I think GM needs to take a closer look at suspension tuning in the '08 MCE as all the Malibus I've ever driven have been quite unimpressive from a driving standpoint compared to most of its competitiors......even though the basic architecture is very solid. It speaks of GM "dumbing down" the chassis tuning on the Malibus to make it appeal to "traditional" domestic consumers....?

Then again, I've heard good things on the SS package setup....so whatever they did there, maybe they ought to make those suspension changes (and the hydraulic steering rack) standard on all Malibus.....

Interior AND exterior.

Even with the recent refresh, the car is still incredibly dumpy and not something that looks like it should compete with Camry/Accord/Altima/Mazda6/Fusion, etc....

The basic Epsilon chassis is solid but I think GM needs to take a closer look at suspension tuning in the '08 MCE as all the Malibus I've ever driven have been quite unimpressive from a driving standpoint compared to most of its competitiors......even though the basic architecture is very solid.  It speaks of GM "dumbing down" the chassis tuning on the Malibus to make it appeal to "traditional" domestic consumers....?

Then again, I've heard good things on the SS package setup....so whatever they did there, maybe they ought to make those suspension changes (and the hydraulic steering rack) standard on all Malibus.....

In fact, that seems to be GM's "modus-operandi" when it comes to suspension/chassis tuning on its vehicles......even TODAY....!

GM's top "sport" packages, a la Chevy SS models, Pontiac GXP models, Buick CXS models, only really come close to giving the feedback, response, and body control that mostly "base" imports have.....

In other words, tire choices aside, a BASE Accord or Mazda6 has a comparable level of body and roll control and suspension firmness that a Malibu SS model or Pontiac G6 GTP has.

It takes a CXS LaCrosse to match the overall refinement of, say, a base Lexus ES....or an automatic Acura TL (which has slighter softer settings than the manual)....or even a Ford 500 and Chrysler 300.

Base GM packages always seem to be sloppier, looser, floatier, and less controlled. I don't understand why they do that. I don't believe there are enough consumers that like those sloppy ride motions enough to counteract the fact that most all OTHER consumers in the marketplace are gravitating to car companies that put alot more effort into fine-tuning the handling and ride quality of ALL their models (not just their sport models.)

LaCrosse, GP, and Impala are ALL on the same basic architecture that arrived in 1988 (18 years ago) on the new GM-10/W-Body coupes.  The 1997 W-bodies were a refresh of the '88 generation....and the current cars are a refresh of the '97's.

It was stretched a bit for the arrival of the Lumina coupe, but other than that, they have the same architecture.  That's a LONG run.....

Sure exteriors and interiors have been changed, but the basic structure/chassis/architecture IS 18 years old.  Just look at the long front-and-rear overhangs.......

Don't foget the 95 refresh of the Chevy W-bodies before the 98 refresh of the Buick, Pontiac, and Olds versions. And the 00 Chevy refresh was based on the 98 refresh. Then the 04 GP refresh followed by the 05 Lacross followed by the 04 Impala/MC.

The W-body has had more lives than any other chassis out there, save maybe the Ford Fox chassis.

Posted Image

Okay....now SOMEONE ask me why we didn't have this symmetrical and attractive of an interior in the Malibu in 2003????????????????????????????

This looks nice....and much better than the AURA interior.......or the G6 interior....and most CERTAINLY the current Malibu interior....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmm.... a giant leap forward for a 3/4yr old vehicle. Looks good.  :thumbsup:

270hp 3.9l w/6 speed auto wouldn't be bad either.  :thumbsup:

These two pics show EXACTLY what I complain about in many GM products compared to the competition.

Look at how in the current Malibu interior, it doesn't even look like the same interior team designed the dash/center stack versus the console. They don't match up, and in fact, they don't even LOOK like they were designed to match up.

The "new Malibu" interior below shows how it can be done with WAY more class....

:pokeowned:

Okay....now SOMEONE ask me why we didn't have this symmetrical and attractive of an interior in the Malibu in 2003????????????????????????????

This looks nice....and much better than the AURA interior.......or the G6 interior....and most CERTAINLY the current Malibu interior....

I'm telling you right now, that interior would be a definite winner if built solid and with some high quality materials.

And Croc, as for the Malibu's exterior, in my opinion, UGLY. I do NOT see it possible as a great seller with the current exterior (and I'm even including the refresh). If it had a phenominal interior, the exterior might be excused. It's boxy, blocky and unimaginative.

Amen. It's nice that they ditched the crappy electric steering on all V6 models of the '07 G6 and Aura, but why not eliminate it from all Epsilons? Yes, I'm sure that the bean counters love the electric P.S. because it's undoubtedly cheaper. Great, GM saves $50 per car or whatever. Meanwhile, how many sales have been lost because anyone who craves any steering-feel at all is going to be disappointed by an E.P.S.-equipped Malibu or G6?

The old saying "penny wise, pound foolish" applies to a lot of GM's actions. In the effort to shave off a few bucks here and there, they end up making cars that don't appeal to a majority of buyers.

I'm telling you right now, that interior would be a definite winner if built solid and with some high quality materials.

And Croc, as for the Malibu's exterior, in my opinion, UGLY.  I do NOT see it possible as a great seller with the current exterior (and I'm even including the refresh).  If it had a phenominal interior, the exterior might be excused.  It's boxy, blocky and unimaginative.

Yep, easily the worst exterior in the current GM lineup, and almost every car in the US

And Croc, as for the Malibu's exterior, in my opinion, UGLY.  I do NOT see it possible as a great seller with the current exterior (and I'm even including the refresh).  If it had a phenominal interior, the exterior might be excused.  It's boxy, blocky and unimaginative.

I don't think it's that bad. Is it a beauty queen? No, but it's decent. Again, though, interiors carry more weight with consumers than exteriors. Look at Camry sales as proof.