NG Malibu

OC, I have to agree with every one of your criticisms of the current Malibu and the GM interior design failures. My biggest complaints in so many of their vehicles is the lack of innovation in the center stacks and how they just seem to cheapen out the console as much as they possibly can. It's lame as hell, these are crucial parts people come into contact with on a daily basis, there is no damn reason for the console of the G6 to be as cheap as it is.

The MAlibu is the biggest ugly duckling out there right now. Well, one of the biggest. You are right sir, the exterior needs a complete renovation. Thankfully, that probably will happen, and it won't be a mild refresh like some are indicating. The exterior does not belong in the same class as the new Camry, Altima, Sonata, or even current Accord. It looks like the rental car it is. The car will need more passion and excitement to get attention.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OC, I have to agree with every one of your criticisms of the current Malibu and the GM interior design failures. My biggest complaints in so many of their vehicles is the lack of innovation in the center stacks and how they just seem to cheapen out the console as much as they possibly can. It's lame as hell, these are crucial parts people come into contact with on a daily basis, there is no damn reason for the console of the G6 to be as cheap as it is.

The MAlibu is the biggest ugly duckling out there right now. Well, one of the biggest. You are right sir, the exterior needs a complete renovation. Thankfully, that probably will happen, and it won't be a mild refresh like some are indicating. The exterior does not belong in the same class as the new Camry, Altima, Sonata, or even current Accord. It looks like the rental car it is. The car will need more passion and excitement to get attention.

Don't feel bad, years ago I was on the protoype build floor when the GMX380s were being built up. I had to take a double take and verify that the vehicles were not true mules.

Mules meaning P-90 bodys on an EPS platform.

I just shook my head and said this company will never learn!

And sure enough they might not have been mule builds but what GM did build for production were certainly mules as far as the public was concerned.

Edited by evok

I still disagree. Refresh the front fascia into more of the horse-collar grille look (like the MAXX concept from a few years ago) that will complement the Camaro and other Chevrolets better. The profile just needs to lose those weird trailing creases from the wheel wells. The rear is just a big old mess. Really, the rear and interior are the areas in need of the most help. The front just needs another grille/bumper. MCE.

I'd love for GM to prove me wrong, though...but this is a cash-strapped organization here. Reality is your friend.

And guess what? I'm younger than either one of you.

No you're not...? I'm pretty sure I'm younger than you, but not by much.

Oh, and for the clarification of the newbies...I'm a business major, and last I checked I was talking about the business/product decisions of GM...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK TO THE MALIBU

I think the real question is what GM is going to do regarding the MAXX or a MAXX-like vehicle. They need a wagon of some kind, whether it be a Chevrolet or a Saturn. My vote goes to Saturn, since VW sells 'em.

Fly is 21, according to his profile.  I'm 2 months away from 23, and older than all three of you.  So there.  ^_^

sounds like we're close in age

hoping the bu is as good as the select press, that got to see it, liked it when shown.

I am still of the opinion that if they ditch the HORENDUS headlight assembly and upgrade the interior this little workhorse will sell very well. The character lines are right from chevy of the past( i.e. late 50s early 60s ) I do think they could soften the creases and make it less edgy, like the PM sketches(only more realistic).

8)

I have to admit, I'm not extremely impressed with that interior shot.. if that is, in fact, the final look for it. It looks good but like other people have said, it needs to feel like a quality interior.

I'll still wait to see the final product but lets use a different radio GM!

I have a feeling that I'll be complaining about that for most of the new GM vehicles.

if the Malibu had the best damn interior on the planet, how would GM get people to stop walking into the Accord and Camry dealerships?

if you build it, they will come is only part of the equation.

GM's biggest hurdle (let's assume that they've got the product sorted out) is mindshare and public perception. that is going to take years to fix.

if the Malibu had the best damn interior on the planet, how would GM get people to stop walking into the Accord and Camry dealerships?

GM's biggest hurdle (let's assume that they've got the product sorted out) is mindshare and public perception.  that is going to take years to fix.

I agree it will take years to change perceptions, but that doesn't make the "lets settle for a base instead of a home-run" mentality right.

I think the real question is what GM is going to do regarding the MAXX or a MAXX-like vehicle.  They need a wagon of some kind, whether it be a Chevrolet or a Saturn.  My vote goes to Saturn, since VW sells 'em.

Great point there. The wagon market is starting to get big again (although they don't call them wagons these days). Just look at the success of the HHR. GM definetely needs a midsized wagon in their lineup, and the existing MAXX just isn't doing it. IMO, there are two possible courses of action here:

- Make a next-generation MAXX that will be competitive in the marketplace, and not as weird and fugly

- Bring this thing back on Zeta:

Posted Image

GM's biggest hurdle (let's assume that they've got the product sorted out) is mindshare and public perception.  that is going to take years to fix.

But I'm afraid that GM people who make the decision will try to use cheap material to cut cost. Discussion at the decision table:

- Hey why using this expensive plastic for the interior, if we use the same as the G6's, we gonna save 200$ per car.

- Oh yeah, you're right, we need to save all the money we can. And about the breaks. Do we use better rotors than what we used before?

- No just put our cheapest ones so we can save 100$ per car. Customers won't see the difference.

- I see, good idea.

- Thanks. I save GM 300$ per car. I feel great about myself. :nono::banghead:

- Oh yeah, you're right, we need to save all the money we can. And about the breaks. Do we use better rotors than what we used before?

- Brakes? Who the hell needs brakes?! Just put two foot holds in the floor panel and they can stop with their feet. We should save like 50 bucks that way (200 savings on brakes, 150 bucks to cut the wholes)

Customers = Avis, Alamo-National, Budget...

Malibu LS V6 is a great GM program car. I sell tons of them and they are a great value for younger drivers, newer families and commuters.Real safe,great mileage and dependable. I dont care what you say, I think the Bu is a great car. even the quirkie 05 front end grows on you. It's just those terrible f#%@ing headlight assemblies. They kill it and make them look more in the lines of the cobalt and it will look better 10 fold. :thumbsup:

Edited by prototype66

Malibu LS V6 is a great GM program car. I sell tons of them and they are a great value for younger drivers, newer families and commuters.

They are a great buy for older drivers also. The instruement panel is ergonomicaly friendly to us older drivers.

Great point there. The wagon market is starting to get big again (although they don't call them wagons these days). Just look at the success of the HHR. GM definetely needs a midsized wagon in their lineup, and the existing MAXX just isn't doing it. IMO, there are two possible courses of action here:

- Make a next-generation MAXX that will be competitive in the marketplace, and not as weird and fugly

- Bring this thing back on Zeta:

Posted Image

I say make the Malibu Maxx a full blown wagon with a more utilitarian/boxy roofline to maxximize cargo room:

Posted Image

While giving Saturn Aura a wagon with a fastback roofline similar to the Mercedes C-class wagon:

Posted Image

I say make the Malibu Maxx a full blown wagon with a more utilitarian/boxy roofline to maxximize cargo room:

Posted Image

While giving Saturn Aura a wagon with a fastback roofline similar to the Mercedes C-class wagon:

Posted Image

not bad idea at all. unless wagons are coming out on zeta...then....?

Well, if GM could get some Accord and Camry buyers to come in, maybe they'd spread the word. It might not make a huge difference, but a few buyers here and a few buyers there, and pretty soon you have import owners telling fellow import owners how great their new Chevrolet is.

However, it's going to take a couple generations of vehicles. GM is going to have to put the best or close to the best interior out there, or they will never gain any share back. If they don't they aren't giving themselves a chance to take share back.

The Signum and Maxx are basically the same thing - extended sedans. The Signum doesn't offer any extra cargo-carrying capability vs. the Vectra unless you're putting something pretty long in it. The Signum may actually be less of a wagon than the Maxx except in styling. It's really a hatchback with the rear seat basically at the end of the car.

One has class, the other looks like ass.

Yet you're apparently of the opinion that the Malibu's exterior isn't in need of a complete overhaul. :huh:

I don't see it much...

Posted Image

Posted Image

One has class, the other looks like ass.

They both have three window designs with a slightly sloped hatchback rear... As Northstar stated, they're both extended sedans. Same idea, yet the Opel comes off more refined, but no more attractive.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Mercedes C-Class Wagon Fastback roofline would be much more appropriate for the segment that Opel & Saturn are competing in.

See, I think the Opel is much more attractive.

Bimmer: I think the Malibu sedan is generally OK. I do think the MAXX is odd, though, with its boxy roofline and very canted windshield...the signum is much more upright in rear and uses smoother, less vulgar shapes for its roofline and greenhouse.

As for the Malibu: take out the rubstrip, and restyle the rear so the rear wheelwell character line continues and integrates into a heritage-inspired rear...and of course refresh the front fascia...I think it could work.

the way the lights the grill and the air dam line up is all american and all chevy.

there is a continuity in the cars. they all have that face. check some pics of the c6 youll probally recognize a similar theme.

personally, i like the maxx...could they tweak it? yeah sure, tell me a car that cant be tweaked in some way.

i know there are some...its rhetorical.

What I mean is a lack of molding on cars with higher beltlines and lower greenhouses give the flanks alot of vertical heft, something I at least find very unattractive. The G35 coupe suffers from this as do Monte Carlos without door molding.

I happen to think the Malibu and Maxx with the new front end are very handsome cars. The interior is acceptable in the new black option, but looks pretty bad in grey and beige. If I needed basic transportation it would be my car considering the price and size, and you get amazing economy. But I don't need basic transportation yet, i'm in my nonpractical two door phase of life! A manual transmission would go a long way to make the base car more palitable for people looking for a cheap ride, there are a lot of cars i would consider if they had a manual option, but are just too bland with an automatic (like any compact).

The thing that worries me about all this is that the Malibu needs to not just hold its own, but pick up some of Impala's volume if / when Impala goes RWD. If the new Impala is in anyway related to the Aussie Commodore then it's going to be a heavy car and probably priced a bit above the Camcord.

Malibu MUST be the corporation's bullseye Camcord fighter, especially as Pontiac has an uncertain future and Saturn is chasing VW (no 4 cylinder). But a 2008 Malibu on EP1, even if it's good looking, will surely lack some perceived size compared to Camcord.

If Pontiac could go pure rear wheel drive, then it would make sense.

Let each division not only stand out in the market place by class level, but also their own way of expressing driving perfection. Maybe that's why we havn't heard of a G6 replacement, as they are considering rear wheel drive (or so we can only dream of).