Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Buick News: Rumorpile: Buick Envision Coming To U.S. In 2015

While you do make a good point, GM needs to go with what is best for each brand, not just more "space fillers" just because they need it. And they need to make sure the current product is up snuff as well. If you have to push other stuff back to update stuff (think trucks and small cars for example), then you have too much product. Chevy get get away with a little extra product, because it is the bread and butter brand....

Keep in mind we have not forgotten the gas prices...while some may jump on a truck (or CUV), they still might think twice. Plus, with the ELR here, I think they are good at the moment.

In honestly, this "buick" might have a better chance as a GMC....

Very different buyers.  I agree that the Terrain needs to butch up more, but at the same time, Buick needs something between the Encore and Enclave. A little bit bigger than the Lincoln MKC would be just about perfect and would drive a gigantic nail into the sidewalls of the Lexus RX.

It would also serve to continue Buick's march upwards in status.

A shakeup of the current line up would help first....short of the Regal and Encore, the rest of the line up could use some ID'ing......

Now if Hummer would have been more Jeep like, I think it would have had a chance....could have given Jeep a run for it's money.

Instead it became an image machine for people, which GM did not bother to fight......

NO. The image was fine for the first part of the decade. But unfortunately.. by the time Bush and Cheney drained our coffers in late '07... we  were living in a country of whiners and politically correct flag waivers. The H2 was the epitome of IN YOUR EFFIN FACE I NOT ONLY HAVE MOBEY TO BUY THIS TRUCK.. I GOT MONEY TO LITERALLY BURN (in the gas tank)!!! Some one driving a sissy ass Corolla just couldn't deal with it. 

And GM did nothing about it.....I liked the H3 and the truck.....could have been so more.....seen a few of those "jeepin'" off road......

You guys are forgetting something here....GM needs to build these nameplates up first.....you can't just keep throwing new models out new members for the family without taken are of those there already there. Don't want the kids to fight, do ya? ;-)

Buick did a great thing with the Regal....the GS. Balls sporty from the past. Needs to rub that to the other other two.  Keep the lux, but make them faster with a nod to the past.

Encore was a good into into the buick brand. Priced right as well. Could get me into a buick! That other one, short of the nose, gets lost with those other large SUVs.

What I want to know is where is this middle buick going to go?  This can't be old school GM....can't have a model for every brand just because. They already failed with that. Each model has to have a true purpose....

Maybe get rid rid of the enclave? Make this new model top SUV, and that could work......

Accord, CRV...Camry....you know these right away. Impy? Malibu? yep! Buick needs to make these nameplates a household names.......the regal is a good start!

I'll stop my rambling now.....

With the Envision Buick would have a 3 SUV lineup and I think they would be in good shape. The Terrain needs to be a bit bigger than the Envision and at least seem a little bit off road worthy. Then in a sense the Encore and Envision are compact and small, the Terrain can be mid size and you don't have overlap aside from Acadia and Enclave.

The Enclave sells really well in its segment and at very high average transaction prices... rarely do they sell as base models. When you consider that the Enclave has a base price of $38,890, that means that most of them are moving for around close to $50k or better.

It's main competition is the Lexus RX and the Acura MDX. The Germans do overlap a bit at the higher end of the price scale.

Buick uses the offer of being a 3-row to a sales advantage.

YTD the Enclave has sold 46k, the RX has sold 76k, the MDX (which is the newest vehicle in the class) has sold 48k. The M-Class has sold 32k. The X5 has sold 33k.

It's not getting lost anywhere.

The Enclave sells really well in its segment and at very high average transaction prices... rarely do they sell as base models. When you consider that the Enclave has a base price of $38,890, that means that most of them are moving for around close to $50k or better.

It's main competition is the Lexus RX and the Acura MDX. The Germans do overlap a bit at the higher end of the price scale.

YTD the Enclave has sold 46k, the RX has sold 76k, the MDX (which is the newest vehicle in the class) has sold 48k. The M-Class has sold 32k. The X5 has sold 33k.

What brings it home is that in the same dealership the Acadia has sold over 64K. GM did that much differentiation in the vehicles to elicit the additional sales selling at an almost identical price point. That's over 110K sold of this platform in the same showroom. Add in the Traverse's 80K.. and WOW

What brings it home is that in the same dealership the Acadia has sold over 64K. GM did that much differentiation in the vehicles to elicit the additional sales selling at an almost identical price point. That's over 110K sold of this platform in the same showroom. Add in the Traverse's 80K.. and WOW

But Buick is not GMC....a new SUV will eat into it's sales.......

And 20% - 25% of those Acadias are apparently Denalis  (I don't remember the exact number, but no GMC model with a Denali version sells less than that percentage of Denalis)

GM states quite clearly that there is a strong like/dislike between the GMC and the Buick cousin.  People who like one are rarely amiable to buying the other.  Thus, canceling one or the other would be a net loss for GM as those customers would not likely stay in the showroom.

There is a substantial size difference between the Envision and the Enclave. I don't think there will be any cannibalization between these two models. If it will hurt any model right now it will be the Terrain. The Terrain is in the same size class as the Envision and is getting rather dated at this point.  I know a refresh is coming, but I think the Envision will be here sooner than the new Terrain.

And 20% - 25% of those Acadias are apparently Denalis  (I don't remember the exact number, but no GMC model with a Denali version sells less than that percentage of Denalis)

GM states quite clearly that there is a strong like/dislike between the GMC and the Buick cousin.  People who like one are rarely amiable to buying the other.  Thus, canceling one or the other would be a net loss for GM as those customers would not likely stay in the showroom.

There is a substantial size difference between the Envision and the Enclave. I don't think there will be any cannibalization between these two models. If it will hurt any model right now it will be the Terrain. The Terrain is in the same size class as the Envision and is getting rather dated at this point.  I know a refresh is coming, but I think the Envision will be here sooner than the new Terrain.

While true, GMC can have a fuller lineup of SUVs....because trucks are what they do. Buick still does cars too, and it might turn into more models needed. If this is what Buick really wants to do, that's fine. Then GMC is going to need some new stuff......

While true, GMC can have a fuller lineup of SUVs....because trucks are what they do. Buick still does cars too, and it might turn into more models needed. If this is what Buick really wants to do, that's fine. Then GMC is going to need some new stuff......

GMC is getting a refresh Terrain. They're getting the Canyon back.  The big trucks and SUVs are pretty much brand new.  GMC is doing ok.

After the Envision, I don't see any further room for Buick crossovers.