Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

your list

3.8L in my old '92 Regal probably lasted about 250K+. I'm not sure, because the odometer didn't last as long as the engine...

4.?L in my dad's old '92 GMC Sierra 1500 that lasted 340K+, only repair done in the engine (maintenance like plugs aside) was timing chain/gear replacement, and that didn't happen until about 300K miles.

NOT my 3.8

55,000 miles on it and it may already have a spun connecting rod bearing..

I told ya you should have just traded for an LS1 :P

So far, my LS1 has been flawless except that it needed new spark plugs when we first got it (which probably had something to do with sitting for 6 months). The CEL has come on once or twice, but that's because the computer gets confused sometimes and thinks there is a problem because of the performance camshaft.

Non-M BMW inline-sixes have been really reliable, too... I haven't heard any stories of sludge, blown engines, or anything like that. The thermostat and other bits attached to them, on the other hand...

3.8L in my old '92 Regal probably lasted about 250K+.  I'm not sure, because the odometer didn't last as long as the engine...

Right you are. I currently have a 92 Regal coupe with the 3800 V6. It is nudging 225,000 hassle free miles and not burning ANY oil in between changes, extremely quiet and returning the EPA sticker mileage to this day.

Therefore, best engines, in my mind / experience:

1. Buick 3800 V6 engine

2. Oldsmobile Rocket 350 c.i. and 260 c.i. V8s

(we had these in 2 Oldsmobiles, though only the former in the one I drove)

3. Chevrolet in-line 250 c.i. L-6

(my Dad had this in a Pontiac LeMans early 70s coupe which he kept as a

second car that was the only one the dog could ride in)

Edited by trinacriabob

the 2.2 motor in the J-bodys will last quite a while, and take abuse well...

Really? I always wondered about 2.2 Ecotecs? What kind of mileage have they racked up? Any problems?

Olds 307

That engine is sort of the midpoint between the 350 and the 260 and I am almost sure is hewn out of the same block (different bore). It, too, is super long-lived though I have never owned one.

That engine is sort of the midpoint between the 350 and the 260 and I am almost sure is hewn out of the same block (different bore).  It, too, is super long-lived though I have never owned one.

263,000 miles on mine before the car was stolen. The engine itself was fine... but the radiator and heater core went bad, with the water pump following not long after.

Really?  I always wondered about 2.2 Ecotecs?  What kind of mileage have they racked up?  Any problems?

Yes, so far the Eco 2.2 are doing quite good so far...a friend has a 03 Cav sedan

(which he uses for work) now has a little over 200k on it now...I think it only needed a fuel pump so far...

The old 2.2s were is many different cars, but I've seen lot of success with 91-02

J-body line.

It's hard to find a 91-94 Cav or sunbird with it because they are cheap and are very hard to kill...

My wife's grandparents have a 91 Sunbird with almost 200k miles on it now..

1. Small Block Chevy

2. Any non-SBC pushrod V8 built by GM from the 40s to today.*

3. Chevy "stovebolt" Inline Six

4. Buick 3800

5. VW "pancake" flat four

6. Northstar V8

7. Datsun/Nissan inline-six motors of yesteryear

* with the exception of the 267 and a select few others

*4300 V6 in my Sonoma

all of the 350 engines (maybe not the diesels...)

*3800 V6 (my grandma's '86 Olds 98 has over 400,000 miles with no mechanical troubles)

*Northstar V8s (aunt's '96 Seville had 247 K miles before she turned it in for a new STS)

*4.0L V6 in my dad's '91 Explorer (477,000 and change before donated to Purple Heart)

*5.0L V8 in my grandad's '86 El Camino (after 500,000 miles, it is finally starting to die...)

The older Chrysler 318 V-8. My first car had one and with 110,000 miles on a 12 year old engine, it would still burn rubber! Earlier versions of the engine were Chryslers's maintstay for many years.

The old slant 6 wasn't bad either.

The 2.2 that everybody is talking about is the Iron Duke right?

Add to the list:

Two-cycle GM/Detroit Diesels

6.5 GM diesel thats powering all the Humvees in Iraq

Detroit Diesel 60 Series (1st engine to be considered a "million mile motor" as far as overhauls)

Add to the list:

Detroit Diesel 60 Series (1st engine to be considered a "million mile motor" as far as overhauls)

Hmm..that is a good question....

I know there was a few 2.2s out there..

I thought the 2.5 was the iron duke?

The 1.9 liter I-4 in my Saturn is still as peppy as day one.

The breeze is underpowered so...

And I also think that my Aunt's 93 Lumina had a great engine....I think it was a 3.1 liter V6.

Yep, I still see quite a few 92-00 saturns that are still kicking...

A friend of mine has a 92 SC1....sold it with 185k....to his friend...still going at 256k....Still has the original Clutch!

GM's 2.8V6 I had one and it lasted FOREVER

GM's 350 SB

GM's 4.3 V6

Duramax engines

Ford 351 Cleveland block engines

Ford 351 Windsor block engines

Cummin's diesel engines

John Deere diesel motors. I dont know who makes them but my father has had a lot of John Deere's and we have worked the hell out of them on the farm. You are more likely to destroy the pto shaft or split the tractor in half before something happens to the engine.

Add to the list:

LN2 Vortec? That was the one in my Cavalier. It is an OK engine, but rather bad on gas.

If it was a six cylinder it was a 4.3 Liter. It's a 350 with two cylinders lopped off. Aside from leaky rear main seals another durable and torquey engine.  :thumbsup:

Hey your using my sig from GMi i made. Cool! 8) Edited by fordrules

Yep, I still see quite a few 92-00 saturns that are still kicking...

A friend  of mine has a 92 SC1....sold it with 185k....to his friend...still going at 256k....Still has the original Clutch!

Yep...thats the problem with trying to depart with it...It's a featurless car...but the engine is so reliable....