William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Ford Explorer, Lincoln Crossover To Go Rear Drive

31 posts in this topic

The Truth About Cars has learned that Ford is working on a new rear-drive vehicle, but it isn't a sedan. Sources tell TTAC that it happens to be crossover that Ford and Lincoln will get. Ford's version will wear the Explorer name, while Lincoln's version is currently un-named.

So why a crossover and not sedan? The Truth About Cars says that the full-size market is shrinking, due to the popularity of crossovers. Also, the next Ford Taurus is reportedly canned for the U.S., thus making the case for a rear-drive sedan is out of the question for the moment.

Adding more fuel to this fire is police car sales. Year-to-date, the Police Interceptor Utility are 52 percent while the Police Interceptor is down 7 percent. Also, the Police Interceptor Utility is outselling the Police Interceptor by 2:1.

Doing a rear-drive crossover could give Ford an good base to build a pursuit ready vehicle to take on the Chevrolet Tahoe PPV.

Source: The Truth About Cars

Click here to view the article

I can actually see it happening. The increase in GM SUV Police Chasers is huge and police want more and more of them. As long as the political morons in Cities think they have to have SUV's and the public does not force them to justify it, they will be buying them. Ford wants a part of this billion dollar business.

I am all about the benefits of a RWD chassis.

The Taurus being canceled makes no sense....that would negatively affect so many other vehicles in the Ford lineup.

I could see the new crossover going RWD as it would allow for more powertrain sharing with Mustang, Expedition, and Navigator.

More than likely, Lincoln feels that the MKX (or a slightly larger supplement to it) needs to go RWD to compete, but in order to do that, it needs a RWD Ford platform to build it on, thus the Explorer moving RWD.

Also a factor, Explorer sales have never been as good as they were before the switch.

i doubt the Taurus will be discontinued. That brings much of the other things into doubt.

Why? If they can use the Explorer, they could use anything in the ford lineup....

Everyone forgot about Europe?

Maybe they want to replace the Expedition and Navigator with a unibody RWD SUV that weighs less and get get better fuel economy.   The current large SUVs are so dated, and if you are trying to sell a luxury SUV why base it off a pick up truck.  They could probably get better ride/handling from a rwd unibody and use the 2.7 Ecoboost V6 and have adequate power.  If you had 2 versions of the platform one could be a shorter wheelbase for the Explorer, a longer wheelbase and wider track for Expedition.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand what you mean. Ford will not kill their only large car.

Many parts of Europe use small cars/vans/cuvs as police cars....does not require large cars. 

Second question: Why not the Fusion?

The Fusion has a larger interior than the Taurus, but the Taurus has a larger trunk, making it a full size car.

I could see some justification for a RWD crossover platform if it mirrored what Mercedes does with the ML, stretching it for the GL. A RWD Explorer/Aviator could be stretched for a Expedition/Navigator.

The Fusion has a larger interior than the Taurus, but the Taurus has a larger trunk, making it a full size car.

I could see some justification for a RWD crossover platform if it mirrored what Mercedes does with the ML, stretching it for the GL. A RWD Explorer/Aviator could be stretched for a Expedition/Navigator.

That is what I was thinking, and it might give them an advantage over the Tahoe/Escalade and Armada/QX80 that are pick up truck based.   The Exedition and Navigator are not competitive, and how often do you see this big luxury SUVs towing.  A unibody SUV could still tow 6,000 lbs no problem, that is enough for 99% of Navigator buyers I'd imagine. 

Since Lincoln has the MKC now, if they keep the MKX as and Edge clone, it would make sense to dump the awkward MKT and use this new platform to replace it.

• Upvote 1

Many parts of Europe use small cars/vans/cuvs as police cars....does not require large cars. 

Oh, ok. I wasn't talking about police usage, I meant that this is America and you sell large cars here. Dodge, Chevy, even Toyota.

Oh, ok. I wasn't talking about police usage, I meant that this is America and you sell large cars here. Dodge, Chevy, even Toyota.

and Hyundai Azera, Kia Amanti, VW Passat, Nissan Maxima (though at widely different price points)

Gotcha. You're fine. Not as worried about the large cars part, as it seems the crossovers are taking them over......

and Hyundai Azera, Kia Amanti, VW Passat, Nissan Maxima (though at widely different price points)

Sorry, just laughing at the thought of a police Kia......lol.....

Japan and Korea use their own cars also.

post-12-0-06877500-1413920194_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-82998400-1413920196_thumb.jpg

It wouldn't surprise if Ford dropped the Taurus. Sales must be pretty low, I rarely see them. As far as CUVs go, Ford seems to have a lot of overlap between Edge, Explorer, and Flax.

Taurus was pretty popular at the Seattle Autoshow. Course they were showing off the SHO version.

I don't think the new Impala is selling well either, although I don't think GM reports sales of Epsilon Impalas separate from Impala Limiteds.

I'm sure there are regional variations, but I see very few Tauruses around the Phoenix area...can count on one hand the number of ones since the MCE a couple years ago. .I've seen a number of new Impalas around..I really like the look of the impala, but in profile it can look odd--the high ride height, large wheels and long overhangs seem to emphasize the short wheelbase...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.