did it again

The Terrain is her choice if I go for a new vehicle, and the Canyon is mine. All 3 posted pictures are actual vehicles I've located, none of which my B-G dealer does not have on his lot. I'm going Monday to get #s, appraise my trade, and see if any of these three are still available for dealer trade.

Got to the dealer tonight just in time for a first sighting before closing... WOW.  I was speechless for a minute!  SO EXCITED after seeing it, can't wait to get behind the wheel.

Only thing I dislike about these trucks is the chin dragging air dam on the front bumper.  Good thing I asked them to remove it.  They did it without charge, and it instantly toughened up the looks considerably.  I am PSYCHED!

I will try to post photos at some point, from my traditional location at the covered bridge.

Glad you got a peek tonight, Bill. I can't wait to see pics of your new rig. GMC had a Canyon in Cyber Gray Metallic on display at the Philly Auto Show and my wife fell in love with that color. That's my 2nd choice behind Emerald Green Metallic. I thought finding a Canyon in green was hard, I've found only one gray that's $2k higher than the green one I'm interested in (it has the LPO rims added).

I knew he was considering Impala and Sierra also, that is why I couldn't narrow the three. But given he is pro-Buick and GMC and estrogen pulling some strings, I should have known. :)

The wife was willing to let me get a Sierra, but they're just too darn expensive. Plus her G6 won't last forever and when we need to add a 2nd payment the Sierra would really stress our finances with another loan added. I still like the Impala but know 3-4 months after purchasing I won't be truly satisfied. If I let the wife get her Buick now the only thing standing in the way of a new GMC in '16 would be our finances :lol: but I'm not sure I want to see my driveway empty of a GMC just yet. Monday will tell for sure!

Saw pictures of Bill's new truck on Facebook.  That's one sharp looking Colorado and it looks sweet without the air dam in place.  Looking forward to some pictures showing up here (I see he added it to the garage already).

As always, my standard congratulatory saying:

head.jpg

Edited by GMTruckGuy74
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a little over a month, and I have to give a status report.  First off, I am very pleased with the ride, handling and braking this truck offers.  It also feels extremely solid while driving.  It definitely gives a feeling of safety on the road that none of my little cars have provided.  The back-up camera (that I have bitched about in years past on this website) has me spoiled.  I can back into a parking spot perfectly, the first time.  If it remains reliable, I will be glad to have it there.  With my current, suburban commute, I've been averaging about 18.8 MPG, a bit better than the city rating of 17.  I did take a road trip to MD a couple of weeks ago, and I filled the tank down there for the ride home.  Over the first 85 miles, I averaged 25.4 MPG (against a rating of 24), which I feel is stellar for a 305-hp 4WD pickup truck without an airdam ;) .  It feels at once familiar and comfortable like a Chevy truck, with a host of welcome refinements.

It is not a perfect machine though.  If I don't make sure the rear doors are shut, (they require a good strong arm) the "door is open" message appears in the DIC (this issue has been solved with diligence).  The truck is vault-like quiet, which makes my ears wander to pick up any noise.  The door lock plunger rattles quietly in its hole, and there is an itch in the steering wheel when turning.  I have an area of thin paint inside the rear wheelwells.  Apparently, Cyber Gray has some underlying green in it (the underhood color is green).  My 2010 Colorado had the same paint issue in the same area.  It is covered with some paint and protected with clearcoat, and someone who doesn't work in auto body might not notice it.  I had occasion to pin the accelerator to the floor once to pass a geezer, and the 3.6 sounds like it is going to explode under full throttle, very tinny and high-pitched, but it provides good high-end power.  I might be one of those that laments the fact that the new 4.3 is not in these trucks, but that is a minor concern.  Oh, and the transmission is very slow to downshift, probably in the interest of fuel economy, at the expense of instant gratification.  The radio antenna was too tall to allow the truck into my garage.  The short one I bought over the internet does not give the same quality reception, but I don't want to jump in and out of the bed to remove and install every time I want to go somewhere.

Over on the Colorado/Canyon forums, some of those guys are whining and complaining about the issues I have described above, and they are running their trucks back to the dealer to demand warranty repairs.  To me, I have not encountered a problem yet that is serious enough to mention it to the dealer.  Overall, this is a typical Chevrolet pickup with welcome refinements, and I am a happy owner so far.  I will stick with what I like, with the understanding that every vehicle has its own quirks.  Overall, kudos to GM for taking a chance on a midsize truck in America once again, it's like you were listening to my very own prayers.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was an excellent car.  I would recommend one.  If I were doing it all again in March of 2013, I would go with a Golf 3-door TDi for the extra utility and to be a little more above constant suspicion.

• Agree 1

It was an excellent car.  I would recommend one.  If I were doing it all again in March of 2013, I would go with a Golf 3-door TDi for the extra utility and to be a little more above constant suspicion. 

The reason I inquired is my sister is thinking about a Beetle as her next car..she likes the Fiat 500 and Mini also, but i figure the Beetle would be the most reliable.. she's had enough of old Mercedes and Cadillacs and their upkeep.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking a new route to work, it is a two-lane with a maximum speed limit of 45 mph.  Some areas are as slow as 30 mph, through a few small towns.  The 4-lane that I used to run is a destroyer of paint (Beetle had myriad chips on the front end when I traded it, but no rust spots... VW metal is excellent in that regard) and I don't want my new truck chipped up.

I am taking a new route to work, it is a two-lane with a maximum speed limit of 45 mph.  Some areas are as slow as 30 mph, through a few small towns.  The 4-lane that I used to run is a destroyer of paint (Beetle had myriad chips on the front end when I traded it, but no rust spots... VW metal is excellent in that regard) and I don't want my new truck chipped up.

Suggest you get the 3M protective cover on the Nose of that beauty. I have them on all my auto's and they are chip free even after 10 years. :)

• Agree 2

That is a good suggestion, Mr. dfelt!

Plus makes dried on Bug goo easy to clean off after a nasty summer of bug squashing and drying from a road trip. I really think even if you do only hold an auto for a couple years, the investment in the 3M nose cover that stays with the auto for life is worth it as it keeps the resell of the auto higher due to being chip free.

http://clearmask.com/

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin/products_ip/browser.cgi?prevtype=Automobiles+and+light+trucks&prevyear=2015&prevmake=CHEVROLET&prevmodel=COLORADO&prevsubmodel=&prevseries=&type=Automobiles+and+light+trucks&year=2015&make=CHEVROLET&model=COLORADO&submodel=LT

Either one of these sites can handle that beauty of yours. Course I am sure your dealership could also do this for a fee as I do hear the labor is the hardest part of getting it on. Your truck besides the bumper, headlamps, hood, in otherwords the whole nose can also have the a pillars and top of cab done too. Very cool

• Agree 1

Made a run down to Ocean City, MD to meet up w/family and experience the Cruisin' Ocean City car show and cruise.  426.7 miles, 17.409 gallons.  24.51 mpg running 65-75 MPH, then down to a crawl in crowded beach towns.  Tickled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What's your average driving speed?  I'm averaging about 20 MPG with my Canyon, but I tend to have a heavy foot and drive between 70 & 80 MPH on the highway (where I do a majority of my driving with the Canyon).  I've only once seen above 20 but I was driving like an old man at the time :lol:

Well my commute consists of about 25 miles each way through a series of small towns.  Speeds range from 30-50 mph, with traffic lights scattered throughout.  Since I went back to working in York, I have stopped traveling the four-lane Rt 30 (where I used to drive 70-75 mph daily) to save my blood pressure and a myriad stone chips on my truck.  I have a happier, more serene commute these days.  Ohhhhhmmmmm.... :AH-HA:

Edited by ocnblu

• 6 months later...

Update:  my fuel mileage has gone down a bit with winter fuel.  I've been getting around 22.5 the last few tanks.  And an uncle of mine ordered his own 2016 Colorado back in October (surprise!) and took delivery on Xmas Eve.  His is a WT extended cab 4X4 in silver with the light gray interior and the decor package, with 3.6L, trailering package and G80 positraction.  He traded in his '92 Silverado he's had since new.  He's tickled with it so far.  :AH-HA:

Meanwhile I've turned over 15,500 miles on mine, with no visits to the dealer for warranty work.  It is breaking in beautifully and I love it.  I did need to have it checked for loose seat mounting bolts, but mine was torqued to spec, no need for adjustment.

Edited by ocnblu

Update:  my fuel mileage has gone down a bit with winter fuel.  I've been getting around 22.5 the last few tanks.  And an uncle of mine ordered his own 2016 Colorado back in October (surprise!) and took delivery on Xmas Eve.  His is a WT extended cab 4X4 in silver with the light gray interior and the decor package, with 3.6L, trailering package and G80 positraction.  He traded in his '92 Silverado he's had since new.  He's tickled with it so far.  :AH-HA:

Meanwhile I've turned over 15,500 miles on mine, with no visits to the dealer for warranty work.  It is breaking in beautifully and I love it.  I did need to have it checked for loose seat mounting bolts, but mine was torqued to spec, no need for adjustment.

Sounds like how I would order mine.... :thumbsup:

• Agree 1

He showed me the window sticker, $30,900 MSRP.  Mine was $32,520... there's not much of a difference in substance between our two trucks... foglamps are now available in a kit if he so desires for $300 (he could install them himself, I think)... he also had chrome door handles put on.  It's a real nice rig he's got!

Edited by ocnblu

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Moltie.  We haven't had any real, measurable snow yet this season, although the long range forecast for next weekend is promising... as of now, they're predicting up to 8".

Edited by ocnblu