did it again

Yeah I am still not big on turbo engines over the long haul, but then I tend to be not about the long haul when it comes to vehicles.

'00 GTI 1.8t, traded at about 30k miles

'12 Cruze 1.4t, traded at about 6k miles

'13 Beetle 2.0 TDi, traded at about 32k miles

You've also said you are leery of turbos.

Yeah I am still not big on turbo engines over the long haul, but then I tend to be not about the long haul when it comes to vehicles.

Not on reliability.  They have their place and purpose.  What I'm leary of is some rather dubious fuel economy advantage claims certain manufacturers make over larger displacement non-turbo engines. I have no qualms with a turbo engine in of itself, but I remain unconvinced that it is inherently superior to an engine of larger cylinder count and/or displacement in terms of fuel economy.  

• Agree 1

To bring it back to the topic.... if stop/start were an issue, we'd have been hearing widespread reports about it since it came out on the Malibu hybrid in 2008, or any of the eAssist cars, or the Honda IMA. 

And when you look into it.... it's virtually nothing. More people have their driver's door handle break on a Malibu than have problems with start/stop.

Not on reliability.  They have their place and purpose.  What I'm leary of is some rather dubious fuel economy advantage claims certain manufacturers make over larger displacement non-turbo engines. I have no qualms with a turbo engine in of itself, but I remain unconvinced that it is inherently superior to an engine of larger cylinder count and/or displacement in terms of fuel economy.  

I totally agree with you on this point! :metal:

To bring it back to the topic.... if stop/start were an issue, we'd have been hearing widespread reports about it since it came out on the Malibu hybrid in 2008, or any of the eAssist cars, or the Honda IMA. 

And when you look into it.... it's virtually nothing. More people have their driver's door handle break on a Malibu than have problems with start/stop.

Would love to hear from people who live in hilly areas like San Francisco, Seattle, etc. Would be interesting to hear how the start / stop works on the hills and if there is more roll back or not?

Very good point.  I did not know the door handle on a Malibu was directly connected to the stop/start circuitry.  This means I would need to enter the car like Luke Duke in those jeans, and push the clutch in to ease it out of gear at, say, 25 MPH and let it coast the last hundred yards to a red light to defeat the stop/start.  Complicated list of instructions, but I think I can eventually learn them.

Side note:  this tank, 464 miles, filled him up with 19.151 gallons of high test gas, 24.228499 MPG.  Totally not bad for a 305 hp, 3.6L V6 4WD pickup truck of a certain heft.  AND... I do not drive like your grand mammy.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

Very good point.  I did not know the door handle on a Malibu was directly connected to the stop/start circuitry. 

The point is that the door handle on a Malibu MAY BE an issue for Malibu owners but the stop/start circuitry is RELIABLE.

YOU want to believe that a problem exists in your head where a problem DOES NOT exist...

You are full of phobias my dear friend..

They sell pills for that and you will feel much better afterwards....

PS: stop/start circuitry is a no go for me too!

No phobia for me, but the minimal gain of fuel efficiency sounds stupid to me...

Edited by oldshurst442

OMG YOU ARE SO PLIABLE.  My tongue was SO far into my cheek on that one.  How are those yoga classes going?  I want to find a naked yoga class near me.  Non co-ed.

Yup you just want a Sausage Fest! :P Bratwurst, Ballpark, Kosher, etc...  :P

OMG YOU ARE SO PLIABLE.  My tongue was SO far into my cheek on that one.  How are those yoga classes going?  I want to find a naked yoga class near me.  Non co-ed.

Yup you just want a Sausage Fest! :P Bratwurst, Ballpark, Kosher, etc...   :P

To be honest.

I like my sausages THICK.

Minimum 1 foot long....

For me its Costco's Kirkland sausages....

CT367352_n1.jpg

Just in case you missed on the homo-erotic sexual undertones because TV Screen...

Here is another:

Its hard to stay excited with all this "start/stop" technology to save a few bucks on fuel when its such a small advantage.

Edited by oldshurst442

Yup you just want a Sausage Fest! :P Bratwurst, Ballpark, Kosher, etc...   :P

To be honest.

I like my sausages THICK.

Minimum 1 foot long....

For me its Costco's Kirkland sausages....

CT367352_n1.jpg

Just in case you missed on the homo-erotic sexual undertones because TV Screen...

Here is another:

Its hard to stay excited with all this "start/stop" technology to save a few bucks on fuel when its such a small advantage.

We'll at least you went Kosher!, After all Hebrew Nation makes Kirkland Signature Beef Dinner Franks! :P

I do agree, sucks to have to start n stop. Rather just rev the V8 to the finish line and win like all American Pushrods do! ;)

• 6 months later...

Well I have 37,300+ miles on the truck.  Winter doldrums have me at about 19.6-20 MPG per tank these days.  Since I have a new toy ordered, I went over onto the NADA website to look up the value of my truck.  NADA is saying it is still worth about $25,150, after taking a deduction of $225 for the mileage, which is on the high side for its age.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd been thinking of supporting my employer by going with a small affordable crossover.  We sell the Tucson, CX-3, CX-5, Encore, Renegade and new Compass.  For various reasons, I decided on a new bodystyle 2017 Compass Latitude 4X4 with six speed manual transmission in Olive Green Pearl.  It was ordered on February 28th, and the last production phase update I got was that my vehicle is in "trim".  I am not certain what that means, whether the factory is lining up parts for the interior, or whether it is currently having the interior/exterior trim installed... if anyone knows exactly what happens during Chrysler production phase "G", I would appreciate some enlightenment.

So anyhow, yup, I am going with another small green Jeep CUV.  All the online reviews I've read have been positive.  So I am psyched!

• Agree 1

Well I have news.  I called the sales manager at our Jeep store this afternoon... he said the vehicle has been built and is either in QC or it has been sent to a holding yard for shipment!  That is super fast, having only been ordered on Feb 28th... hopefully that is a good thing, and any new-vehicle glitches were ironed out at the Brazil plant before North American production began.  Not sure how long it takes to get here from Toluca, or how it will come.

And, RIGHT ON CUE... my reverse camera has not worked on the truck at all today... and it is out of warranty by 1800 miles... YAY.

Well I was dubious at first but then I was like... this is handy.  Anyhow, it is a federally-mandated thing either now or soon.  I'm mad because this will likely affect trade-in value.  It would go out but then start working if I rowed the gear shifter before on occasion, but today, it did not work at all, no matter how many times I tried it.  :angry:

Haha, what do you know... I took a square shovel and two bags of gravel out of my truck bed this morning... which means I had to open and close the tailgate... and the camera worked all day!  Perhaps there is a loose connection somewhere.  Or a loose nut behind the wheel?

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, it fits me very well.  My name is on the MSRP label!  "This vehicle specially built for ocnblu"!  It came in this morning.  I went over to our Jeep store at lunch time to give them some pertinent info and have them appraise my truck.  I need at least $1k more than what they offered me.  The Jeep looks great!  I am excited!  It still needs to be prepped, etc.  I have an appointment tomorrow @ lunch time to do the paperwork... I really hope we can come to an agreement on trade-in value.  :)

Also, that stupid camera was out again for like 4 days, I was scared to death it would not work when they appraised it... but it is currently working..... *WHEW*

Edited by ocnblu

On 12/6/2014 at 7:03 PM, ocnblu said:

Well if it's another $3k higher than the 3.6, I could not justify it.

I looked at a leftover 16 at 30K a few months ago at a local GMC dealer....they are nice trucks...

On 8/18/2016 at 5:57 AM, ocnblu said:

...and I have a bunch of friends with TDI VW's with 300 and 400K on them on the original Turbo...

• Agree 1

On 8/18/2016 at 11:35 AM, Cory Wolfe said:

The turbocharger has probably been the most reliable part in my GTI's engine. :P

...and I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2017 GTI to replace my departed TDI Jetta...hmmm...

Be interesting to see the Jeep it things work out for you!

• Agree 1

Thanks!  I brought it home tonight.  I got what I asked for in trade amount.  We're having ugly weather.  I will start a new thread with my traditional set of photos this weekend, hopefully, if the weather clears.

• Agree 2

On 4/25/2017 at 7:52 PM, ocnblu said:

Thanks!  I brought it home tonight.  I got what I asked for in trade amount.  We're having ugly weather.  I will start a new thread with my traditional set of photos this weekend, hopefully, if the weather clears.

"it pays to buy at the end of the month" :)

• Agree 1