• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1979 Cadillac Eldorado test drive video

Wait, the 350 in this was fuel injected? Was that an olds engine? Was the 350 in the Toronado and Riv in this year fuel injected?

The Olds 350 with Cadillac-specific, port injection, analogue EFI was standard equipment.  The Toronado/Riviera came with a QuadraJet; the only fuel injected option would be the diesel.

Edited by KevinW

The Olds 350 with Cadillac-specific, port injection, analogue EFI was standard equipment. The Toronado/Riviera came with a QuadraJet; the only fuel injected option would be the diesel.

Darn, would love to have a fuel injected toronado.

Those prices are CRAZY.  Plus, dude said Eldorado was "always" FWD... not true.  A very good looking car, and I feel these E-bodies were sufficiently differentiated from one another, especially the Riv from the other two, due to its undulating beltline.

"... although this is not a big car by any standards...."

HA

When people say to me "Why do you drive such a big car?" referring to my '81, I always say "It's not too bad for a compact".

Yet it is as long on the outside as a modern Mercedes S-Class.

S-class is small for a top-line sedan, it's not a true full-size. Town Car L was 221" when the s-class L was just over 200". That's at least 3 size classes apart.

Eldorado is a personal lux car, and (this generation forward at least) is not full-size either @ 204". The '79 Fleetwood & Devilles were 221" at the same time.

- - - - -

Ironically, back in the day trucks weren't any longer than full-size cars. '79 F-100 long bed would be right around 215".

Now the trucks are commonly longer; current Silverado RC/LB is 225", more common crew cab standard box is 240". '79 Cadillac Fleetwood limos were 244".

Even the '96 Broughams were 225".

EPA-dictated interior cubic volume is a meaningless metric. You don't ponder interior cubic volume when parking in a tight 1-car garage.

We're in an age where 4" difference in length is a whole 'nuther size class according to some. Remember the flap of the 2nd gen CTS being a "tweener" when  it was 5" longer than a 3-series, or whatever the exact charge was? 

I love the Eldorado this car to me has all the features one would want. Sporty for sure no to mention the fact it's a luxury ride. I have always been impressed with how this car can represent both Speed, and elegance a win, win.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.