a significant American Architectural landmark

Possibly 30 years later and after a remodel?  The floorplan doesn't seem to match the exterior.

I thought about that...but the things changed don't make sense. Like why was the 2nd story window removed (under the pointed roof)? Why were windows ADDED by the front door? Why was the chimney moved?

I can see the windows added, but not any of the other things. Especially the chimney. Just doesn't make sense.

Edited by Croc

I read somewhere the floorplan was strictly a set...the real house didn't have the same layout....it was used for exteriors only.

I think those two photos are probably of the same house, 30+ years apart..isn't it in some LA suburb?

Edited by moltar

Actually railing spindles have to be close enough to prevent a child's head from fitting thru (whatever measurement that may be).

RE: Chimney - in first shot it's an elevated view. Chimney looks to be on the back half of the roof and it's merely not visible in the street-level angle of the newer shot.

Looks like the same house to me.

Rails need to be close enough to prevent children from falling.

Clear spacing is not to exceed 4" - a 4" sphere cannot pass through two balusters.

By the way, what neighborhood is the Brady house in? I've often heard Chatsworth. I'd sure like to know.

RE: chimneys...naw, the one in the original house is high enough you'd see it...but in the original pic there clearly is no chimney where the one in the "today" pic is...and why would they get rid of a front-facing bedroom window?

I think it is a similar house, but not the same. A lot of late 60s/early 70s houses were cookie cutter...

OK in the links Bobo posted, it's clear the "white chimney" isn't a chimney, but a portion of a retaining wall...that said, the other chimney is clearly visible.

I still wanna know where the bedroom window went, though.

Looks like the same house.... look at the back ground and that hill. Other than looking at it from different angles, it's in the same location. Too much of a coincidence for it to be a different house. Even though the subtle differences are questionable, like Croc pointed out...

It's in Burbank ??? It screamed West Valley. I don't really like it. The nasty stone and the vertical board and batten....I don't think so. I always liked the "Bewitched" house better. It looked more substantial with all the brick.

The house is located at 11222 Dilling Street in Studio City.

Interesting, Bobo. Just like the Beverly Hillbillies Mansion was at 701 Bel Air Road and, guess what, I think that it has been torn down or modified extensively because you can't see it anymore as you once could. I tried to show it to my cousin who was visiting in summer of 2004.

At any rate, something tipped me off that the Brady House was NOT at a Burbank address. The street signs would have been forest green if it was in Burbank. Instead, they were mostly dark blue with some white - standard City of L.A. graphics, of which Studio City is a "neighborhood." I'll go look at it next time I'm down there.

Edited by trinacriabob

Brady Bunch house

It may not look exactly the same - the trees have grown and its owner of 20 years put in a fence to keep tourists from peeking in her windows. Also, the "Brady" producers temporarily installed a fake window on the roof to make the split level home appear to be a full two stories. (By the way, the Brady's fictitious address on the show was 4222 Clinton Way, and their phone number for the Brady house was 555-6161.)

Here's a Brady Bunch-related anecdote:

20 years ago I was working at a food place on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the L.A. South Bay, and Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) comes in and orders a Diet Pepsi, which I served her. She supposedly lived in Rolling Hills behind-the-gates.

Here's a Brady Bunch-related anecdote:

20 years ago I was working at a food place on the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the L.A. South Bay, and Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady) comes in and orders a Diet Pepsi, which I served her.  She supposedly lived in Rolling Hills behind-the-gates.

That's hilarious. But where is she now? And where is Linda Blair now? Is there some web site or other place that tells what stars who were top billed are now doing?

Here's a funny one (along the same lines):

About 3 years ago, I wanted to ride the new subway in LA. So I went downtown and took the Red Line out to Wilshire/Western. I was the only non-minority in the train car. I wasn't uncomfortable, but it was kind of weird. At any rate, I thought I should take a picture of the subway car (which I didn't do), sort of National Geographic style and the caption ought to have read: "Where have you gone, Maureen McCormick"?