js85

So, what do you think of the new Ford GT?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/ford-gt-detroit-motor-show-2015-01-12 

And gone is the supercharged V8 of old, replaced by an Ecoboost engine. Fear not, though, as it still packs a proper amount of cylinders. A twin-turbo 3.5-litre V6 engine drives the rear wheels with ‘more than' 600bhp, and with motorsport development behind it, Ford is claiming great efficiency.

Of course, it's performance we care about. Nothing's confirmed in that area just yet, but a 0-60mph time close to 3.0secs and a top speed north of 200mph ought to be very feasible targets.

I'm pretty pleased with the looks, it's pretty McLaren inspired. I wouldn't mind a more unique Ford look, but who can turn down the likes of a McLaren.

Any opinions? On the looks or specs? 

It will be interesting to see how people take to the engine. There are those who count cylinders and those who count HP and Torque. Being an American car they are normally expected to give 8 cylinders and that may be a problem for some buyers. I hope they can over come this mental issue.

the car has a number of cues from several cars. GT40, NSX, McLaren, 918 and Miura.  These are not bad things but I hope it does not detract some. I am sure the car will sell out but I hope it is accepted well enough to continue vs. the last GT as this will help GM engineer to get what they need to make the new C8 even better. Competition is a good thing even off the track..

I expect the HP to be a starting point as this car will need more to compete going into the future.

It looks exactly like you'd expect a Ford GT to look like and I very much like it. I would definitely buy one of these I could afford it. What's their price tag, I wonder? Is there any info on how many they plan to produce? They usually only make a handful of them, though, to be fair, there aren't exactly a lot of people that can afford to buy one of them in the first place.

All in all, I love it.

I love the style / Look of the new GT. I am not a Fan of the Turbo'd V6 engines or any Turbo'd engine for that matter. My personal experience has not been good as Turbo'd engines do not last for the most part. Subaru being an exception to this, but most auto companies have not been able to build a solid Turbo'd engine and the MPG does not seem to live up to the hype.

Most forums have shown that Fords Turbo'd V6 in the F150 does not deliver the MPG they advertised. Yet engineering has shown that Pushrod V8's can and do just look at the Corvette.

With that said, I think FORD FAILED on the Powertrain for the GT. As I have written about there are powerful Electric Engines. They so could have gone with a Hybrid Powertrain that would have delivered if not exceeded these HP / Torque numbers and given a better experience.

EVWEST Built a BMW that broke records at Pikes Peak with 1000 lb/Torque and 600+ HP pure electric and yet they also could have still done it with a bit less on both and added a generator for long distance driving.

Car Design Language is a WIN

Car Powertrain is a FAILURE.

i want to also say that we need to get Marketing to stop pushing HP is the focus number. We all know that HP is important but you also need the Torque as that is what gets an auto moving and allows it to truly move even more when pushed by the HP.

I am tired of all the over rated supercars of Europe with crazy V8 and V12 engines putting out 600HP but only 300 lbs/Torque. These are a joke compared to American V8's with 500HP and 500+ lb/torque.

It is a good looking iteration to the GT family. The car looks awesome and I'm sure will drive awesome too. I just hope that it doesn't have the obvious shortcomings of the older Ford GT which seemed to be fairly useless at anything but being looked at because of the terrible fuel consumption and reliability.

Still, people don't look at ford as a performance manufacturer nowadays because of all the ecoboxes they make (at least in Europe).

It is a good looking iteration to the GT family. The car looks awesome and I'm sure will drive awesome too. I just hope that it doesn't have the obvious shortcomings of the older Ford GT which seemed to be fairly useless at anything but being looked at because of the terrible fuel consumption and reliability.

Still, people don't look at ford as a performance manufacturer nowadays because of all the ecoboxes they make (at least in Europe).

Yup blame the idiots of Europe who want to tax engine size.

Being from the UK, I apologize for our idiotic and green outlook to cars and the general stupidity of the EU when it comes to making silly laws because of emissions. I don't have a problem with hybrid technology being utilized to a higher degree but some cars like the prius are just...well...not great.

Edited by kestas57

I am let down by the engine in the new GT.  I feel it should have been something like what's in the new GT350.  Just the sound of the V6 alone would turn me off big time.

Being from the UK, I apologize for our idiotic and green outlook to cars and the general stupidity of the EU when it comes to making silly laws because of emissions. I don't have a problem with hybrid technology being utilized to a higher degree but some cars like the prius are just...well...not great.

I don't mind a green outlook in cars, but taxing based on engine displacement isn't a tax that makes sense.  In the US a few years back we had a 2003 Chevrolet Malibu with a 3.4 liter V6 that got better fuel economy than a Toyota Camry with a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder. Both were low emissions vehicles at the time.  The 6.2 liter Corvette easily out performs its smaller displacement rivals in the fuel economy department and has done so for year.

I understand the idea is to reduce fuel usage and carbon emissions, but limiting the size of the engine via taxes isn't the way to do it because it also limits innovation. 

Something is missing in that car. It does not evoke emotions in me as the previous one or the original one did.

• Upvote 1

Something is missing in that car. It does not evoke emotions in me as the previous one or the original one did.

I disagree Z, I find this even better than the first remake of the Original GT. I love the lines and the smoothness of this car. It truly looks like a supercar and the Italians should be scared.

post-12-0-33863000-1422632233_thumb.jpg

I like everything about it, including the powertrain.  Nobody scoffs at Porsche for having 6-cyl engines. I love a big ol' 'mercun V8 as much as anyone on here, but frankly I could care less how my engine makes 600+ horsepower as long as it pushes me back in the seat reliably.  

Love the fusion (no pun intended) of heritage and forward-looking technology advances here.

-RBB

I disagree Z, I find this even better than the first remake of the Original GT. I love the lines and the smoothness of this car. It truly looks like a supercar and the Italians should be scared.

attachicon.gif150112100150-2015-naias-ford-gt-620xa.jpg

You know my emotions and the missing part?

I think that the new Ford GT looks great. They managed to keep the elements and the shape of the original Ford GT, but they updated them to present. I agree, that V6 will have to be great, because I think everyone wanted at least a V8 in this beautiful car. In terms of performance, I don't think it will raise some problems for its competitors.

Edited by rares209

attachicon.gif150112100150-2015-naias-ford-gt-620xa.jpg

You know my emotions and the missing part?

I think I might but why not list it for all to know! :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook