Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Hell has frozen over: Fusion Marches Past Camry

89 posts in this topic

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...30329/1121/AUTO

Summary

Considering the $1,384 price difference between our two test vehicles, the Fusion SLE seemed to offer so much more than the Camry LE, in terms of engine size and performance, as well as creature comforts and -- most surprising of all -- assembly quality.

Overall Winner: Ford Fusion

And so my the bands at Ford march once more!

What a surprise this was...especially this part:

Moreover, we were startled, and disappointed, by the less-than-sterling assembly quality on our test Camry, which was actually built in Japan, and not in Toyota's huge assembly plant in Georgetown, Ky. Regardless of location, there is no excuse for the poor trim fits we encountered inside our test vehicle -- especially not in a segment that's as competitive as this, and certainly not with the golden reputation for quality that Toyota has enjoyed for so many years.

The Fusion, on the other hand, proved to be a pleasant surprise, with an upscale cabin upholstered in rich perforated leather, with handsome piano-black trim. The pieces fit together neatly (the Fusion is assembled in Mexico), and there were enough standard and optional features to give you the impression of driving a near-luxury vehicle

Edited by Dodgefan

The Charcoal black interior is the only one that looks good. The other two (Camel and Medium Light Stone) dont have the piano black finish or the little clock that the Charcoal has.

Weren't the Lienerts supposed to be.... uh.... biased? :P

Seriously, I think the Fusion is a very nice car. One I'd consider if I lived in the US. Off topic but just for the fun of it, here's a picture of the European Fusion which, fortunately to Americans, shares only its name with the US car:

Posted Image

Edited by ZL-1

ROCK ON!

Wow... the Fusion is the FIRST Ford in over a decade I can actually see myself driving and owning.

Doesn't anyone see this as kind of a hollow victory? They tested a four-cylinder one-step-above-base trim Camry aganist a V6 top-of-the-line Fusion. Not exactly a fair fight, IMO.

Hilarious. I wonder how many more reviews/comparisons will end like this? Everyone has one guess...

Edit: If Ford raised the price of the Fusion to compete with other cars in the segment it would not be as popular as it is. They have to Korean the price or else they cannot compete in the minds of consumers.

Edited by sciguy_0504

Wow... the Fusion is the FIRST Ford in over a decade I can actually see myself driving and owning.

Sit inside one and you'll be even more in love. Smooshy dash plastic, upper and lower, super comfy seats, great looking gauges, and a 220hp V6.

Hilarious.  I wonder how many more reviews/comparisons will end like this?  Everyone has one guess...

Edit:  If Ford raised the price of the Fusion to compete with other cars in the segment it would not be as popular as it is.  They have to Korean the price or else they cannot compete in the minds of consumers.

The Japanese did it to get into the market, Ford and GM can do it to get BACK into the market.

Doesn't anyone see this as kind of a hollow victory? They tested a four-cylinder one-step-above-base trim Camry aganist a V6 top-of-the-line Fusion. Not exactly a fair fight, IMO.

Price is the only fair way to test vehicles.

Especially with that $1,300 difference in price! That'll buy a heck of a lot of gas for that "thirstier" V-6.

The fusion was the more expensive one

LOL! I dont care for Ford to much but the Fusion is nice and its a lot better than that piece of crap Toyota! At least the better car won!

The Japanese did it to get into the market, Ford and GM can do it to get BACK into the market.

Exactly. That should have been done years ago.

I wonder if the Camry SE is sportier than the Fusion? I am sure the $1,300 difference could have been made up that way.

Especially with that $1,300 difference in price!  That'll buy a heck of a lot of gas for that "thirstier" V-6.

Toyota Camry LE 4-Cyl - 24/33

Camry 4-cyl come with 5-speed Automatics

Ford Fusion SEL V6 - 21/29

Ford Fusion 4 & 6 cyl come with 6-speed automatics

Not really that big of a difference considering the improved performance.

Powertrain

Between our two test vehicles, the Fusion was the clear winner in this department, by virtue of the fact that it offered two more cylinders, one more transmission gear and 63 more horsepower, for not much more money.

While a DOHC 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine is standard in the base model, our range-topping Fusion SEL was equipped with a responsive twin-cam 3.0-liter V-6 that delivers an ample 221 horsepower and comes mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

In comparison, our Camry LE was fitted with a very sturdy DOHC 2.4-liter I-4 and smooth-shifting five-speed automatic. The Toyota four-cylinder engine makes 158 horsepower -- perfectly adequate for everyday driving, but nowhere near as quick and powerful as the Ford V-6.

Moreover, the Camry's fuel economy isn't much better than the Fusion's. The EPA ratings on our test Camry LE were 24 mpg in city driving and 33 on the highway; the Fusion SEL was rated at 21 and 29 -- very respectable figures for a V-6 with automatic.

Winner: Fusion

I don't understand why everyone loves the Fusion interior. It's a horribly boring design.

No it isn't. It is quite nice, definitely a very well-done interior.

say what you will about the 500 but the interior of that car is very nicely put together. the seats are high up and comfy and it has a very clean look to it.

quality materials and the like too. maybe not super exciting but well done.

the only thing i cant stand about the damn car is the beepin when you dont imediately put your seatbelt on...its the high pitched shrill that antogonizes you until you click it.

but that aside its a ok. id imagine the fusion is similar.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this