• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

rares209

1969 Ford GT40 Mk III shown at Geneva

Alongside its new GT at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show, Ford also brought along the car that inspired it; a legendary racer with a remarkable back story and one that dominated Le Mans. It is, of course, the Ford GT40, so named because it stood at just 40.5 inches (1,029 mm) tall.

We’ve all heard of the story – in 1963, Henry Ford II reportedly wanted to buy over Ferrari to compete at Le Mans, spending several million in audits and negotiations, only to have Enzo Ferrari pull out at the last minute. This was said to have incensed Henry so much that he was determined to beat Maranello at its own game. He did, of course – the GT40 won the 24 Hours of Le Mans four consecutive times from 1966 to 1969.

This particular GT40 is the road-going Mk III, only seven of which have been built. Compared to the previous Mk I and Mk II racers, this has four headlights, a wider rear end to make room for luggage, softer dampers and a 4.7 litre V8 engine that has been detuned to 335 hp.

The new Ford GT will go into production late next year, just in time to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the GT40’s first Le Mans win. The carbon fibre-bodied supercar will be powered by a mid-mounted 3.5 litre twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 producing over 600 hp, sent to the rear wheels through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.

Ford-GT40-Geneva-Live-4.jpg

Source: http://paultan.org/2015/03/07/gallery-1969-ford-gt40-mk-iii-shown-at-geneva/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Paultanorg+%28paultan.org+-+The+Automotive+Industry%3A+Cars%2C+News%2CTechnology%2C+Test+Drive+Reports%29

No mater how bad this car handles in comparison to today's auto's, I have to still say there is something very sexy about it.

No mater how bad this car handles in comparison to today's auto's, I have to still say there is something very sexy about it.

Right? When I first saw the article, the only thing that I wanted to do id finding more pictures of this beauty. Yes, the new model looks very similar to the original and I think this is a great thing. But, I don't know why, if I have to chose between these two models, I think I would chose the Mk III no matter how stupid people would consider me.  :lol:

Hmmm ... I don't think that choice to be crazy!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Has time re-written every line?" __ Barbara Streisand __ 'The Way We Were'

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook