Will the 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Give General Motors a Chance Against Toyota and Ford?

rares209

General Motors might not be quite as dominant in the U.S. auto market as it once was, but it's still the leader. That's not likely to change anytime soon.

And for all of the (well-deserved) knocks on Old GM's low quality, post-bankruptcy GM has made huge strides. By some important measures, GM's quality now rivals Toyota's.

But there's one very important area in which GM remains well behind Toyota -- not to mention HondaNissan, and old rival Ford : in America's best-selling category of cars, midsize sedans.

Now, GM is stepping up with an all-new Chevy Malibu for 2016. The automaker will show us the car at the New York International Auto Show early next month. 

Will this be the Malibu that finally puts Chevy back in the family sedan race?

2014-chevrolet-impala-ltz-063-medium_lar

An all-new Malibu from scratch, just three model years after the current car's debut
We don't know a lot about the new Malibu yet. But we do know this: GM appears to have started over from scratch.

General Motors said in a statement that its engineers started with a "blank slate," an all-new vehicle architecture. That architecture is called "E2XX" in GM-speak, and it will replace the (mostly well-regarded) Epsilon 2 architecture that underpins the current Malibu and many other GM models around the world.

midsize-sedan-sales-in-2014_large.jpg

Source: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/08/will-the-2016-chevrolet-malibu-give-general-motors.aspx?

This car will be closely watched by many and it will be interesting to see how the auto rags talk about it when it is introduced. I really hope for GM that they pushed beyond just equaling the competition but went to lead them with this new introduction.

Very excited to see what they offer and show.

• Upvote 1

I think the next Impala should go RWD/AWD and take the place of the current SS.

I'm pretty sure they thought about it too  :lol: , because it seems the right thing to do, considering that most of us would say those car have a lot in common and I don't think it's a good idea of keeping both of them in production looking from the economical side.

The current Malibu was unfortunate enough to go up against the well-received Ford Fusion, and lacked the Hyundai Sonata's panache.

Done properly, an 'Impala-bu' could be a hit, as the Sonata's no longer a design darling and the Fusion's sheen is being stolen by Chrysler's 200. Unlike the Chrysler, Chevy won't be saddled with poor reliability perceptions. 

My question to thoughts of Impala going RWD - how does Toyota manage space and packaging and saleability of Camry and Avalon?

The Camry is for slightly old people.  The Avalon is for really old people.  That is the difference.

Go back to the drawing board. Both are being driven by older and younger ones alike.

The current Malibu was unfortunate enough to go up against the well-received Ford Fusion, and lacked the Hyundai Sonata's panache.

Done properly, an 'Impala-bu' could be a hit, as the Sonata's no longer a design darling and the Fusion's sheen is being stolen by Chrysler's 200. Unlike the Chrysler, Chevy won't be saddled with poor reliability perceptions. 

So are you saying to merge them into one vehicle? My question is what does it need to take that both can be existence just like the Toyota twins.

My question to thoughts of Impala going RWD - how does Toyota manage space and packaging and saleability of Camry and Avalon?

The Camry is for slightly old people.  The Avalon is for really old people.  That is the difference.

Go back to the drawing board. Both are being driven by older and younger ones alike.

So are you saying to merge them into one vehicle? My question is what does it need to take that both can be existence just like the Toyota twins.

Impala always came across as the sporty more aggressive driving machine and Malibu was the more laid back relaxed driving machine. I think you can clearly have both auto's co-exist as long as you define the style and drive of each to be specific and not have them match.