Chevrolet News:GM Isn't Planning To Compete With The Ford Raptor... Directly

Last month, speculation was going around after an trademark application was filed by GM for 'Badlands' to be used on a future model. The speculation was this was going to be used on the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra as competitors to the Ford Raptor. But according to Edmunds, GM has no plans for a direct Raptor competitor.

"We have a lot of priorities. Capital is not endless. That is not one of our highest priorities in terms of spending capital right now," said Mark Reuss, GM's executive vice president of global product development.

However, Reuss isn't fully against a performance off-road monster. He points toward the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 concept shown at LA Auto Show which boasts a number of changes such as off-road shocks, front-and-rear locking differentials, and 35-inch off-road tires

"We showed the ZR2 and said we would like to do that," said Reuss.

Source: Edmunds

View full article

When I 1st heard about this, I thought, 'Well, this'll piss off die-hard GM truck fans'.  But, then, they might've been even more pissed off had the GM version not been "up to par" with the Raptor.  I may be mistaken, but seems to me I remember several of my die-hard FMC fans not being all that thrilled with the Mercury Marauder of a few years ago, the one that tried to duplicate the success of the mid-1990s impala ss.

*shrugs*

So, I agree ... good move all the way around.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"A heart that's hopeful" __ Michael W Smith __ 'Place In This World'
  • Agree 1

I think they are laying the groundwork for more of a crawler here than a Raptor competitor.   The Raptor is built for blasting through the desert at 60mph... but you really wouldn't do that in a Wrangler, a Wrangler doesn't have that kind of stability.

At the same time, you wouldn't go rock crawling in a Raptor. The wheelbase is too long and you'll get high centered pretty quickly. 

The Canyon though... on the short wheelbase versions, would split the ability of the Raptor and the Wrangler right down the middle. 90% of Raptor's capability at speed and 90% of the Wrangler's capability over the rocks could make for a very interesting middle road. 

I think they are laying the groundwork for more of a crawler here than a Raptor competitor.   The Raptor is built for blasting through the desert at 60mph... but you really wouldn't do that in a Wrangler, a Wrangler doesn't have that kind of stability.

At the same time, you wouldn't go rock crawling in a Raptor. The wheelbase is too long and you'll get high centered pretty quickly. 

The Canyon though... on the short wheelbase versions, would split the ability of the Raptor and the Wrangler right down the middle. 90% of Raptor's capability at speed and 90% of the Wrangler's capability over the rocks could make for a very interesting middle road. 

That would leave me with the Feeling that GM could be looking at the Hx Hummer Concept as a decent competitor for the GMC label while giving the equal part in the smaller Pickup family to Chevy.