Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Cadillac News: Cadillac Releases Details on New V6 Engine Family

Formula 1 is the highest form or Motorsport and Mercedes is the best at it right now although Ferrari got a win over them today.

But the point was made how the torque is more usable on the 2.0T engine, all I am saying is you can tune a naturally aspirated V6 to make peak torque in the 3000-3500 rpm range. BMW non turbo engines used to be pretty good at that. I would think Cadillac could get more usable torque from the V6 than they can get from the 2.0t if they wanted to. Thus no need for the 2.0t CTS.

While the basics of your statement are correct the torque range being flat and wide on the 2 is due to the combination of VVT, DI and a Turbocharger. The V6 engine will be closer to this but still not as low in the RPM.

Racing means little here today than in the past as most racing engine while based on a OE concept some of the time are mostly made up of specialized parts or aftermarket parts. The reason people use them is they are paid. 

I have seen where Yugo races at one point but it was because they paid someone to compete.

Generally most factory racing is all propose built and just not what it used to be.

Case in point Cadillac would be no where with out Pratt and Miller just as Benz would have never gotten anywhere without Sauber. Porsche is one of the few in house team but even they relied on Penske, Hobert and other private teams for even more development work.

Ferrari is one of the few in house deals left in F1 but even their road race cars have relied on the private teams.

Edited by hyperv6

Yes the new engines are on the way but were only approved last summer. These will be their own deals and we should see some very advanced system.

The V6 really is not even the first one it was just what was planned here. We should see even advanced and changes with the 6 at some point. In the mean time these engines will keep them going till their own stuff is ready.

Regardless, I do not think the N/A should be the engine of choice for non-hybrid applications when almost all competitors are force induced at that power level. There should be two tunes of the 3.0T to simplify the costs.

You channeling a bit of SMK there?  :AH-HA: ...   3 of the competitors have Forced Induction... the rest are Naturally Aspirated.

"At these power levels"

Jaguar, BMW, and Audi have forced induction.

Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, M-B, Hyundai Genesis, Kia K900, 300C V6... and if you want to be nice and include Lincoln are all naturally aspirated.

The key is the "at these power levels".  If you want more power, you need to go either to a V8 or a Turbo-6... which Cadillac will be offering as well.  It should be noted that a number of these competitors offer  less powerful base engines...  So if Cadillac is offering this 3.6 as the base engine, it will instantly have a an advantage.

May be I should I have said it better, "are or will be force induced". Yes, number of them offer less powerful base engines, but so will Cadillac in the form of 2.0T or 2.5 depending on the application.

So let's get back to your list.

1. M-B does/will too with the 400 and 450 or whatever the heck they are going to name the 3.0L on one bright morning.
  2. Infiniti has forced induction lying in the wings as you saw at the Detroit release.
  3. Lincoln/Ford has the ecoboost 2.3, 2.7 and 3.5 engines. All the company has to do is plug one in a Lincoln.
  4. New - And Volvo is F-I too.
  5. So the only manufacturers remaining are Lexus and Acura, which to my understanding Lexus will have one soon.
  6. I do not consider Kia and Hyundai in this league because they do not offer multiple sausage lengths of "luxury" vehicles.

Hence, non forced induced vehicles are or soon to be in minority. Back to my premise, GM has no F-I motor in 300 - 375 hp range like its competitors and to me that is a drawback especially since these engines started with clean slate. And no matter how much you look at the torque curve of a N/A motor producing 80% of torque of F-I motor, it will not match the F-I jolt.

So no your perception of me being SMK is incorrect. I seldom make comments without looking at things comprehensively. :P

Again, I go back to "at these power levels".  The M-B 3.0TT will likely be more in line with the new Cadillac 3.0TT terms of power.. basically around 400 hp rather than 335 horsepower.   The Infiniti turbo with be a Turbo-4 not a Turbo V6.  Lincoln has Ecoboost, but is still offering the N/A V6.   Lexus's turbo will be a Turbo-4.   All of these will be either optional step up engines with the Turbo V6 or base engines with a Turbo-4.  As nice as turbos are, a 335Hp N/A V6 is still > 240~280hp Turbo-4

Drew, MW C350 has 329 hp, C400 has 360 hp. While Germans underrate their engines, they are not closer to 400hp. Also, Infiniti will have turbo 6.

Like that German triad, the Q60 will offer a choice of turbocharged four- and six-cylinder engines. The four will be nearly identical to the 241-hp 2.0-liter found in the C-class, as this product of the partnership between Daimler and Nissan-Renault will be built on Nissan’s engine line in Decherd, Tennessee, which is already shipping engines to the Mercedes plant near Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Again, Lincoln has a Turbo 6, all it needs is to start putting into a vehicle. Don't talk about optional or step up. GM has a turbo 4 competing with the ~240hp turbo 4s of the competitors. There is no F-I engine from GM to compete with the competitors' offerings in the 300 to 375 hp range, period. 3.6 is not a Cadillac but GM's parts and bins engine that was released as a Cadillac first, which is just cheeky on GM's part.

So engineer the V6 to make peak torque at 3,500-5,300 rpm, as the Mercedes V6 does. {Problem is that Cadillac} set their engines to make max power at 7,000 rpm and max torque over 5,000.

See, you want to argue, but you use completely fabricated 'facts'.

Cadillac CTS-VSport already does what you are asking for; HP peak is about 5400 (Cadillac rates it at 5750), TRQ peak is 3500. VSport develops between 400-435 TRQ from 3000-5000 RPM.

Try again. 

Edited by balthazar