William Maley

Mitsubishi News: New York Auto Show: 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander

Mitsubishi is putting on a bold face with the introduction of the 2016 Outlander at the New York Auto Show.

The Outlander boast over 100 changes with the hope of improving where it stands in the marketplace. The most noticeable change is the front end as it adds a black and chrome grille, along with LED position lights. New 18-inch wheels, rear bumper, and LED taillights finish off the exterior.

Inside, Mitsubishi changed out the steering wheel, added new seating surfaces, display audio system and a new auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink for the GT model.

Power will come from a 2.4L four-cylinder with 166 horsepower for most of the lineup. A 3.0L V6 with 215 horsepower is standard on the GT model. Front-wheel drive is standard, while the automaker's Super All Wheel Control - S-AWC - is optional. Mechanical changes include a redesigned suspension, revised electric power steering system, and changes to the CVT.

Source: Mitsubishi

Press Release is on Page 2

MITSUBISHI MOTORS NEW 2016 OUTLANDER MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT THE 2015 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

• The 2016 Outlander showcases Mitsubishi's new design language for the first time on a production vehicle
  • The new Outlander features over 100 engineering and design improvements
  • The 2016 Outlander marks a new era for the Mitsubishi brand relating to style, refinement and overall driving experience

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) today unveiled the new 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander seven-passenger crossover at the 2015 New York International Auto Show. The 2016 Outlander is the first Mitsubishi production vehicle to showcase the brand's new design language. The 2016 Outlander is not just a cosmetic "refreshing," however, and features an unprecedented number of important engineering and design improvements that increase the level of refinement and overall driving experience. The 2016 Outlander is a segment-leading vehicle that will appeal to buyers wanting value, quality and safety.

"The 2016 Outlander has an eye-catching new design aesthetic inside and out, and with its long list of engineering upgrades, the new Outlander literally looks, drives and feels like an entirely new vehicle, making it an even more compelling value than before," said MMNA Executive Vice President, Don Swearingen. "Mitsubishi's outstanding sales momentum is carrying into the new-year and with the arrival of the 2016 Outlander crossover we are well positioned to sustain our growth."

The 2016 Outlander features Mitsubishi's new front design concept, "Dynamic Shield." This feature is inherited from the bumper side protection seen on generations of the Montero, providing unique protection for both the people and car.

Numerous design and engineering improvements have been made to the chassis of the 2016 Outlander, including increased body and suspension structural rigidity, redesigned suspension and Electric Power Steering, noise-isolating windshield and rear door glass, more sound insulation throughout the vehicle, new dynamic front suspension and rear differential dampers, improved weather stripping and engine compartment trim (all models). Additionally, the new generation continuously-variable transmission offers improved acceleration, performance, shift feel and torque delivery (all CVT-equipped models).

The exterior design features of the 2016 Outlander include a redesigned front fascia, front fenders, halogen headlights, LED position lights, lower door sections, 18-in. alloy wheels, rear fascia and LED taillights (all models); and power-folding side mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer and LED headlights (GT model). The reconfigured interior includes a redesigned steering wheel, seating surfaces, accent trim, rear folding seat, headliner, display audio system (all models) and auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink® (GT model).

Mitsubishi's advanced safety systems including Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) are now available for the SEL and GT Models.

View full article

Is it me or does that front end have a bit of Lexus Predator Mouth on it? ;) Me think so!

Far more tasteful than that, but I see what you're seeing.  I see a bit of previous Ford Edge Sport in there too. 

shame about that 4-cylinder though... would be nice if they could come up with something with a bit more go...

shame about that 4-cylinder though... would be nice if they could come up with something with a bit more go...

Well they do have a 3.0L V6 available on the GT.

Well they do have a 3.0L V6 available on the GT.

yes but this 4 cylinder is rather outclassed by most other engines for vehicles this size.

The Outlander fills a mostly abandoned niche though, it feels about the same size as the old Pathfinder and old old Chevy Blazer. It feels more "traditional SUV" than the new Crossovers do since the new crossovers have a decidedly more Mommy-Van feel to them these days.

Would be nice if they had a perky Turbo 4, Diesel and Hybrid for this auto. Your right I see what you mean about the Ford Edge Sport also.

People aren't aware of how inexpensive these are to buy. And if you check, the mpg is not bad. It also has a 3rd row and a sliding second row so the cargo area is large and versatile.

Sure the engine is not bleeding edge or tire smoking.....but now that we are seeing tiny overstressed motors all over these throwbacks may be attractive to those that just want to get around and enjoy the 5/60 BTB and 10-100 Pto warranties that go with it.

For the right price and equipment level I would have no problem with one as daily transport as opposed to a midsize sedan. ....local dealer was selling new front drivers for about 19,500.....think of families on a budget that can't afford say, a loaded Highlander. With the good mpg , space , warranty, and general user friendliness, it's hard to get too judgmental about this type of thing not trying to be cutting edge.

Compare this to an Equinox for example. Less money, third row, more warranty....

Interesting tidbit. The outlander is larger than the outlander sport but they share a platform and wheelbase. The outlander has always had the 2.4. They just finally added the 2.4 to the outlander sport option sheet. But in the outlander sport, the 2.4 gets noticeably less mpg than it does in the outlander for the sams powertrain more or less.....go figure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV was originally supposed to arrive in the U.S. a few years back. But the launch would be pushed back as the model would prove to be quite popular in Europe, causing Mitsubishi to reallocate supplies. Now, Mitsubishi has finally started selling the Outlander PHEV in the U.S. Was it worth the wait?
      Much like the Eclipse Cross I posted a couple of weeks back, this first drive of the Outlander PHEV was quite brief. I only had about 15 to 20 miles of driving under my belt, while the rest saw me sitting in the passenger seat. Hopefully, in the near future, I’ll be able to spend some more time to give an overall impression.
      The Outlander PHEV wants everyone to know that it is a plug-in hybrid vehicle with PHEV decals on the rear doors and badges on the front fenders. Most people will find it to be a bit much. Otherwise, I like the Outlander’s shape with a boxy profile and slightly bold front end. The interior design is a bit plain, but most controls are within easy reach. The top-line GT I drove featured leather surfaces and plenty of soft-touch materials. I would have liked to see less piano black plastic used throughout as it becomes a fingerprint magnet. One issue with the Outlander PHEV’s interior is the placement of the Park button. Due to the location of the gear selector, it isn’t easy to find the button. My drive partner spent a few moments wondering where the button was before I pointed it out. Not the most user-friendly setup. Unlike the standard Outlander which offers three-rows of seating, the PHEV makes do with two. This is due to the placement of the battery pack in the back. I’m ok with this sacrifice as the third-row in the regular Outlander should only be used for emergencies due to the limited amount of space and uncomfortable seats. Powering the Outlander PHEV are two 80 horsepower electric motors. The one on the front axle produces 101 pound-feet and the one on the rear makes 144 pound-feet. A 2.0L DOHC four-cylinder with 117 horsepower and 137 lb-ft acts as the generator. There are three different driving modes on the Outlander PHEV: EV Mode, Series Hybrid mode (gas engine provides energy for electric motors for extra power and charges the battery), and Parallel Hybrid mode (gas engine power the wheels and electric motors). The plug-in hybrid system is very responsive in EV mode thanks to the instantaneous torque available from the two electric motors. In the Series Hybrid mode, the gas engine, for the most part, is muted and doesn’t intrude. Only during hard acceleration does the engine begin to make some racket. Transitions between the electric to the hybrid powertrain is very seamless. One disappointment is the range. Mitsubishi says the Outlander PHEV can travel up to 22 miles on a full charge. Chrysler’s bigger Pacifica Hybrid can go 32 miles on a full charge. A lot of this comes down to the Pacifica using a larger battery pack. Mitsubishi has introduced an updated Outlander PHEV for Japan and Europe that introduces larger battery pack and engine. The overall electric range has increased to 28 miles on the WLTP testing cycle. We’re wondering when this updated powertrain will arrive in the U.S. (2020?) Mitsubishi offers three different charging options for the Outlander PHEV - 120V, 240V, and a DC fast-charging through a CHAdeMO port. Charging times are eight hours with the 120V charger, 3.5 hours on the 240V, and 25 minutes for an 80 percent charge on the DC fast-charger. Six-levels of regenerative braking from B0 to B5 can be selected through a pair of paddles behind the wheel. I left the vehicle in B3 and found it to be a nice balance of regeneration without slowing the vehicle down too much. Handling is about what you might expect with a crossover. There is a fair amount of body roll when cornering and the steering feels somewhat light. Ride quality is quite nice as most bumps and imperfections are ironed out. The 2018 Outlander PHEV begins at $34,595 for the SEL S-AWC and $40,295 for the GT S-AWC. There is a tax credit available for the model, but be aware that only comes into play when you do your taxes. You cannot use it to help drop the price of the Outlander PHEV. Disclaimer: Mitsubishi provided breakfast, a quick snack, and the Outlander PHEV for this first drive event.
      Year: 2018
      Make: Mitsubishi
      Model: Outlander PHEV
      Engine: 2.0L MIVEC DOHC, 16-valve Inline-Four (Gas Generator); Twin AC synchronous permanent magnetic motors
      Driveline: Single-Speed Transmission, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 117 @ 4,500 (Gas); 80 @ 0 (Electric Motors)
      Torque @ RPM: 137 @ 4,500 (Gas); 101 @ 0 (Front Electric Motor); 144 @ 0 (Rear Electric Motor)
      Fuel Economy: Gas+Electric Combined/Combined - 74/25
      Curb Weight: 4,178 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $34,595 (SEL S-AWC), $40,295 (GT S-AWC)
    • By William Maley
      The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV was originally supposed to arrive in the U.S. a few years back. But the launch would be pushed back as the model would prove to be quite popular in Europe, causing Mitsubishi to reallocate supplies. Now, Mitsubishi has finally started selling the Outlander PHEV in the U.S. Was it worth the wait?
      Much like the Eclipse Cross I posted a couple of weeks back, this first drive of the Outlander PHEV was quite brief. I only had about 15 to 20 miles of driving under my belt, while the rest saw me sitting in the passenger seat. Hopefully, in the near future, I’ll be able to spend some more time to give an overall impression.
      The Outlander PHEV wants everyone to know that it is a plug-in hybrid vehicle with PHEV decals on the rear doors and badges on the front fenders. Most people will find it to be a bit much. Otherwise, I like the Outlander’s shape with a boxy profile and slightly bold front end. The interior design is a bit plain, but most controls are within easy reach. The top-line GT I drove featured leather surfaces and plenty of soft-touch materials. I would have liked to see less piano black plastic used throughout as it becomes a fingerprint magnet. One issue with the Outlander PHEV’s interior is the placement of the Park button. Due to the location of the gear selector, it isn’t easy to find the button. My drive partner spent a few moments wondering where the button was before I pointed it out. Not the most user-friendly setup. Unlike the standard Outlander which offers three-rows of seating, the PHEV makes do with two. This is due to the placement of the battery pack in the back. I’m ok with this sacrifice as the third-row in the regular Outlander should only be used for emergencies due to the limited amount of space and uncomfortable seats. Powering the Outlander PHEV are two 80 horsepower electric motors. The one on the front axle produces 101 pound-feet and the one on the rear makes 144 pound-feet. A 2.0L DOHC four-cylinder with 117 horsepower and 137 lb-ft acts as the generator. There are three different driving modes on the Outlander PHEV: EV Mode, Series Hybrid mode (gas engine provides energy for electric motors for extra power and charges the battery), and Parallel Hybrid mode (gas engine power the wheels and electric motors). The plug-in hybrid system is very responsive in EV mode thanks to the instantaneous torque available from the two electric motors. In the Series Hybrid mode, the gas engine, for the most part, is muted and doesn’t intrude. Only during hard acceleration does the engine begin to make some racket. Transitions between the electric to the hybrid powertrain is very seamless. One disappointment is the range. Mitsubishi says the Outlander PHEV can travel up to 22 miles on a full charge. Chrysler’s bigger Pacifica Hybrid can go 32 miles on a full charge. A lot of this comes down to the Pacifica using a larger battery pack. Mitsubishi has introduced an updated Outlander PHEV for Japan and Europe that introduces larger battery pack and engine. The overall electric range has increased to 28 miles on the WLTP testing cycle. We’re wondering when this updated powertrain will arrive in the U.S. (2020?) Mitsubishi offers three different charging options for the Outlander PHEV - 120V, 240V, and a DC fast-charging through a CHAdeMO port. Charging times are eight hours with the 120V charger, 3.5 hours on the 240V, and 25 minutes for an 80 percent charge on the DC fast-charger. Six-levels of regenerative braking from B0 to B5 can be selected through a pair of paddles behind the wheel. I left the vehicle in B3 and found it to be a nice balance of regeneration without slowing the vehicle down too much. Handling is about what you might expect with a crossover. There is a fair amount of body roll when cornering and the steering feels somewhat light. Ride quality is quite nice as most bumps and imperfections are ironed out. The 2018 Outlander PHEV begins at $34,595 for the SEL S-AWC and $40,295 for the GT S-AWC. There is a tax credit available for the model, but be aware that only comes into play when you do your taxes. You cannot use it to help drop the price of the Outlander PHEV. Disclaimer: Mitsubishi provided breakfast, a quick snack, and the Outlander PHEV for this first drive event.
      Model: Outlander PHEV
      Engine: 2.0L MIVEC DOHC, 16-valve Inline-Four (Gas Generator); Twin AC synchronous permanent magnetic motors
      Driveline: Single-Speed Transmission, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 117 @ 4,500 (Gas); 80 @ 0 (Electric Motors)
      Torque @ RPM: 137 @ 4,500 (Gas); 101 @ 0 (Front Electric Motor); 144 @ 0 (Rear Electric Motor)
      Fuel Economy: Gas+Electric Combined/Combined - 74/25
      Curb Weight: 4,178 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Aichi, Japan
      Base Price: $34,595 (SEL S-AWC), $40,295 (GT S-AWC)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      As we got off the on-ramp to I-94, my driving partner realized something.
      “We’re going the wrong direction.”
      Instead of going westbound, we were traveling eastbound. We had misread the directions only a few hundred yards from the starting point. Once realizing this, I drove towards the next exit to turn around. A few extra miles wouldn’t hurt either in the vehicle that I was piloting.
      Mitsubishi had invited a small number of Detroit-based automotive writers to drive the new Eclipse Cross and Outlander PHEV. Which is how I found myself behind the wheel of the Eclipse Cross to begin the drive. This is Mitsubishi’s contender in the hotly contested compact crossover marketplace. The company is hoping the combination of a distinctive design, turbocharged engine, and other features will bring in people into the showroom. My first impression shows some good signs, but there are some quirks that may put off some people.
      I should note this isn’t going to be a full-blown first drive. I only had about 15 to 20 miles of driving under my belt, while the rest saw me sitting in the passenger seat, proving directions to my partner and exploring various bits of the vehicle. Think of this as the appetizer to hopefully a full review sometime in the future.
      Mitsubishi’s design team went slightly overboard with the Eclipse Cross’ exterior. Busy would be an understatement considering the various details on display with sharp angles, a fair amount of chrome for the front, and a split-window tailgate. The color really plays a key role in emphasizing the various details. My particular vehicle was finished in white, which helped tone down some of the design. I will give Mitsubishi credit for designing something that stands out from what is becoming a very crowded field. A slight disappointment is the lack of the design flair for the interior. It looks somewhat stale and plain. But Mitsubishi has made an effort to fix some of the weaknesses I highlighted in my Outlander Sport review. Material quality is noticeably better with Mitsubishi using more solid feeling plastics throughout. There are some spots where some soft-touch plastics are used such on the door panels. Build quality is improved with solid thunk when the doors close and tight gaps. One item I sadly did not get the chance to try fully is the 7-inch infotainment system. The base model has the screen integrated into the dash, while LE models and above have the screen sitting above the dash. LE and above also get a touchpad controller to move around the system. I have concerns about the touchpad considering how many problems I have with something similar used in Lexus models. But those who have tried the touchpad say it works very well with quick responses. Power comes from a turbocharged 1.5L four-cylinder punching out 152 horsepower and 184 pound-feet. This is connected to a CVT and routes power to either the front-wheels (only available on the ES) or Mitsubishi’s Super All-Wheel Control. The engine feels quite adequate as it provides decent oomph when leaving a stop or needing to getting up to speed with traffic. One item I did find odd was the slight delay of the powertrain responding after suddenly stepping on the accelerator hard. Not sure if this is an engine programming issue or something to do with the CVT. The suspension does a surprising job of ironing out most bumps and imperfections. There is a tradeoff as the Eclipse Cross has some significant body roll when cornering.  Disclaimer: Mitsubishi provided breakfast, a quick snack, and the Eclipse Cross for this first drive event.
      Model: Eclipse Cross
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.5L MIVEC Direct-Injected Inline-Four
      Driveline: Front or All-Wheel Drive, CVT
      Horsepower @ RPM: 152 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 184 @ 3,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27 (ES FWD), 25/26/28 (ES S-AWC), 25/26/25 (LE, SE, and SEL S-AWC)
      Curb Weight: 3,307 - 3,516 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Kurashiki, Okayama, Japan
      Base Price: $23,295 - $30,395 (Doesn't include a $995 destination charge)
  • My Clubs