Trivia Tuesday, April 7 2015

COME 'N GIT 'EM!

1.) What American car is credited as having introduced the plastic front grille?

2.) In the '50s and '60s, Chrysler built the 300 series of high performance cars. They began naming them in alphabetic order, starting in ’56 with ‘300-B’. By the time the run concluded, Chrysler had skipped a letter- why?

3.) What ‘obsolete’ engine configuration did Chrysler use in one of its 1990s concept vehicles?

4.) The first (2000) 1976 Cadillac Sevilles produced were all metallic silver with grey leather interiors. Why no color deviation?

5.) A chief engineer for a vehicle manufacturer was laid up in the hospital for a stretch after surgery. To keep busy during the resulting downtime, he carved a bar of soap into a 3-D emblem for the company, which was put onto production vehicles nearly unaltered. What is the company & emblem?

View full article

2. i was skipped to not to confuse people with number 1.

3. Chrysler Atlantic had a 4.0L I8 made from two 2.0L Dodge Neon engines.

4. Ensure quality control, prior to ramp up of production.

5. Mack Bulldog.

Ya- Cavalier is way too new. 
Ford's soybean push was in the '40s, but did it extend to grilles?

My buddy is hotly pursuing a '68 Toro (and not having any luck), but said pursual has had me recently looking into Toro info & a few videos- I am surprised to know the grilles were plastic- that's verified, DD?

Ya- Cavalier is way too new. 

Ford's soybean push was in the '40s, but did it extend to grilles?

My buddy is hotly pursuing a '68 Toro (and not having any luck), but said pursual has had me recently looking into Toro info & a few videos- I am surprised to know the grilles were plastic- that's verified, DD?

I guess it depends on what you consider "the grille".

If you consider these lattice pieces that cover the headlights to be "the grille", then I am 98.263% sure they are plastic.  On the earlier years where the headlights drop down, the grille on the '66 and '67 are metal. 

post-51-0-09681900-1428453790_thumb.jpg

The best I can come up with is the ~64 Plymouth Cuda... but even then I'm not sure if that center bit is metal or plastic.

my other guess was the Avanti since it is fiberglass.. but that doesn't really have a grille.

Aside from that, it's going to be something obscure like a Crosley or Allstate

Pontiac with the endura nose? (that's the innovation I'm guessing on... and yes, just a shot in the dark)

When was that? Late 60's?

1968 I believe... and we already know that the 1968 Toronado is not the answer, and Balth said that this plastic grille came a few years before.

All right, going to spill it here. I never did get a year from you guys, and subsequent research shows it spans more than one model, so I think it's due.

Answer is 1966 Pontiac. The GTO & GP both had plastic grille work (and bezels), tho for '67 the GTO reverted to metal grilles.
Everything built before this had metal grille work. I had heard it credited to only the GP, but I see GTO had 'em too.

Thanks for playing- see you next Tuesday!

• Agree 1