Every new BMW to get a hybrid version

rares209

BMW clearly sees potential in hybrids or is keen to reduce its average CO2 emissions level because the German manufacturer plans to create a hybrid version of every new car.

Speaking to US motoring website AutoBlog, BMW North America CEO Ludwig Willisch said: "With the introduction of every new model there will be a plug-in hybrid version of that, too."

The first fruit to come from the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle program will be the X5 xDrive40e (aka the xDrive PHEV) and its 313hp powertrain, which is capable of 0 to 62mph in 6.8 seconds, 450Nm of torque, a supermini-bettering 77g/km of CO2 emissions and combined fuel economy of 85.6mpg.

When asked about the existence of the i5 and i7, two rumoured models that would sit between the i3 city car and the i8 supercar, Willisch interrupted: "Which we don't have." He added: "Not any time soon." 

It is really no surprise for BMW to push harder into greener technologies. The i8 is a one-of-a-kind supercar that is both fast and frugal, while the BMW i3 proves there is someone besides Tesla who gets the need for electric cars to be more desirable than a Toyota Prius.

Speaking of which, Willisch was also asked about whether BMW sees Tesla as a competitor. "I wouldn't say I don't see any competition. But I still see that a BMW 5 Series and a Tesla are totally different animals." 

bmw-phev-future_w720.jpg

WoW, that was interesting to read, so they are a horse with blinders on as the I3 is an ugly car that is selling to hard core BMW fans but not really much else. They are sitting on the lots here much like the MB EV auto's. People who are not hardcore about EV are not buying.

The Telsa and the 5-series are absolutely competition.  Tesla currently sells to a particularly affluent customer.  They keep their 5-series around as a second car but use the Tesla as their primary car.  The Tesla owners I've talked to here in Pittsburgh (there is a Tesla club here already) are coming from 5-series and E-Classes, not Pruii and Leafs.  Even if the Tesla buyer keeps their 5-series, that is one less sale for BMW and it is highly likely that the 5-series will now go longer between trade-ins. 

BMW is copying Mercedes plan of a plug-in hybrid of every model.  The BMW i8 I think is more engineering exercise and gives them a funky halo car.  The i3 is probably there to counteract M3's M5's and 760iL's thirst for gas, so they meet CAFE and appease the ultra Greenies in Europe. 

From what it seems, really rich people buy Teslas.  So I would say, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Maserati or any other high end $75-100k car is competition, because if the customer bought a Tesla, means they didn't buy something else.

BMW is copying Mercedes plan of a plug-in hybrid of every model.  The BMW i8 I think is more engineering exercise and gives them a funky halo car.  The i3 is probably there to counteract M3's M5's and 760iL's thirst for gas, so they meet CAFE and appease the ultra Greenies in Europe. 

From what it seems, really rich people buy Teslas.  So I would say, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Maserati or any other high end $75-100k car is competition, because if the customer bought a Tesla, means they didn't buy something else.

The Telsa owners I met have high incomes, but are still practical. Remember, there is a large campus here in town for a company with a name that starts with G and rhymes with Moogle.  It's the practical, yet wealthy geeks that are being attracted here.... The 5-series is like a Toyota Camry to them. The 5-series is functional and gets the job done, but the Tesla tickles both the practical and nerdy areas of their brain. 

These people aren't in the market for Porsches or Maseratis (maaaybe the Ghibli... maybe).  

The one guy couldn't stop talking about the rear facing jump seat that his daughter likes because more of her friends can come along.... to him, the Model S is a mini-van that he doesn't have to hate.  

My brother in Silicon Valley is probably a fairly typical Tesla Model S owner.  The Tesla is the daily driver (HOV stickers), but he also has a couple of Mercedes C-Classes and a Lexus SUV.  The Tesla is actually the out-of-town vehicle, as he takes advantages of the Supercharger stations.

The automakers are adapting quite well to the Brave New CAFE World, and we're not all driving penalty boxes but instead better performing, lower polluting, more sustainable vehicles.

My brother in Silicon Valley is probably a fairly typical Tesla Model S owner.  The Tesla is the daily driver (HOV stickers), but he also has a couple of Mercedes C-Classes and a Lexus SUV.  The Tesla is actually the out-of-town vehicle, as he takes advantages of the Supercharger stations.

The automakers are adapting quite well to the Brave New CAFE World, and we're not all driving penalty boxes but instead better performing, lower polluting, more sustainable vehicles.

And as he uses the Tesla more for daily use and long distance use, there are less miles being put on the Benzes.   If they aren't leased, he will probably go longer between replacing them which means fewer sales for Mercedes or BMW or Lexus. 

That is exactly how Tesla is competing with the big lux brands.

If Tesla didn't exist, then the wealthy would be buying BMW or Benz, there is no doubt Tesla steals sales from them.  Maybe some ultra-greenies would buy  a plug-in Prius regardless of their income.  I don't think Mercedes and BMW are doing the full line of plug-ins because of Tesla though, I think it more to due with fuel economy regulations and trying to stay ahead of the competition.

If Tesla didn't exist, then the wealthy would be buying BMW or Benz, there is no doubt Tesla steals sales from them.  Maybe some ultra-greenies would buy  a plug-in Prius regardless of their income.  I don't think Mercedes and BMW are doing the full line of plug-ins because of Tesla though, I think it more to due with fuel economy regulations and trying to stay ahead of the competition.

I am replying to the assertion by the BMW-USA CEO that Tesla isn't competition.  I think he is wrong.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is super exciting. I love the body style of the BMW. And, the fact that they are adding Hybrid choices makes it all the more sexier to me. I am glad that they are doing this. Because after purchasing a hybrid that is all I want. And, not having that feature would have kept me from purchasing one.