2015 Jeep Renegade

(edit: down several posts is the review----here    http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/84699-2015-jeep-renegade/page-3#entry763643  )

-----

note:  I went to get my first oil change on my new Town and Country and the dship had a new Renegade on the showfloor.

After checking it out, I intend to take a test drive soon.  I didn't realize it would have the option for a stick, and on both FWD and AWD.  Otherwise the 2.4 engine will sell the most since that is how you get an automatic.

So this for now is just an impression on sitting in it and seeing it in person, and especially with it right next to the lame Compass, I can tell you what looks cheeky and cartoonish in pictures has a lot more character and meat to it in person.  I was rather taken aback by how good a job Jeep did with the look of the vehicle, and in particular the interior and packaging.  I was shocked at how well the 'Jeep meets Kia Soul' look fits into the Jeep karma.

The price of the vehicle in the show floor was mid twenties for an automatic 4x4 Latitude.  I can pretty much say that if the equipment and price is comparable between a Trax and the Renegade, the Renegade crushes the Trax in terms of room and space, style, character, while being darned close on MPG.

The interior was pretty darned nice for the price and room abounds.  I am 6'-1" and there was at least 4" of headroom left atop my head, front and back.  No shortage of girth, plenty of shoulder and hip room.  Leg room was most impressive, front and back.  Felt completely comfortable in either row, with a minor exception of the second row cushion being a tish low.  No worries, the footwell under the front seat allows for a natural sitting position in the rear and 4 people will by nicely comfy at any time in this Jeep.  Actually there is not much interior room difference between the Cherokee and Renegade (They actually are on different platforms).

I would totally be ok taking a long road trip in this vehicle, sitting in either the front or back.

The cargo area is not huge, but not small. Similar to an outlander Sport or the Previous Compass.  

The interior as a whole is quite well done for having to look 'Jeep' and sell at the low price points.  There are some neat details in there in a few spots and overall fits in quite well with the idea of the brand.  

The Renegade is on the Fiat 500L or X platform (hope it does not have the 500L's reliability rap), and so you can tell why it has similar room and elements in the dash are in similar spots.  But there is no way at all you can tell from looking out over the hood.  The Jeep has a very blocky and chunk look out the hood and again it fits in with the Jeep karma.

Hope to get test drives very soon.  I still am more of a sedan guy, but i am intrigued by the 1.4 turbo plus stick in FWD.  I know the mpg is a few off the Trax but it is still good for a tall box and to able to shift by one self would be interesting.  But i will look into the auto as well, since I am kind of getting tired of shift myself for awhile.  The turbo lag on the 500L freaked me out; it should be interesting to see if that is fixed on the Renegade.

I think overall the personality of this smaller box vehicle has the potential to be a mainstream hit but also cut into the cult class of vehicles like the Mini Countryman, Juke, etc.  I also think it stacks up well to fight off all the likes of Trax, CX-3, HRV, etc that will storm the market soon.  Myself after sitting in this Jeep I don't think i would ever have any more interest in the Trax.  Since it also feels more spacious than an Escape, I think it may compete a bit with the likes of those, the CX-5, others in that realm as well.

I think this thing will be a huge seller to women.

Should be interesting to see how it does but i predict it will do quite well.  And from checking it out, I believe it will be a really functional vehicle with good space in a small package.  And despite the cute look, it still has Jeep going on......Good price and not too bad mpg either.  Good job Jeep.

Edited by regfootball

Was able to do more than just press nose.  This thing was unlocked!  I would have to go for the Trailhawk version for its ferocity though.  It feels plenty girthy in the front seat, and headroom is endless.  Load area is a bit small, but the false floor can be lifted and taken out for more load height.  And with 4WD lock and different terrain settings, even the non-Trailhawk seems to be more "ready" than anything else in its class.  Sweet little cheeky monkey!

post-37-0-92327000-1428862027_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-76241300-1428862040_thumb.jpg

• Agree 1

Was able to do more than just press nose.  This thing was unlocked!  I would have to go for the Trailhawk version for its ferocity though.  It feels plenty girthy in the front seat, and headroom is endless.  Load area is a bit small, but the false floor can be lifted and taken out for more load height.  And with 4WD lock and different terrain settings, even the non-Trailhawk seems to be more "ready" than anything else in its class.  Sweet little cheeky monkey!

Cheeky indeed. Trax will probably get slaughtered by this thing.

The Renegade is new, different and so will make a splash and have sales.

Down side, BIG DNA from the Terrible Fiat 500 line. Not sure I would be willing to take a risk on it as they have way to many problems right now on their new auto releases.

Yet to compare external and internal pics while nice, The Chevy does stand on it's own.

post-12-0-68512300-1428894366_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-98565800-1428894367_thumb.jpg

Yes of course, when it comes to daily reliability I suspect the Chevy will be a superior product.  I just wish GM would make some sort of effort toward a modicum of off-road capability.  There is no dirt whatsoever at the Trax site, in any of the photos.  However, YouTube features several videos of the Mokka in mud and snow, being thrashed a bit.  So, maybe it's a liability thing on GMNA's part, not sure.

Two different customers I think

I would like to see a Trax with gloss black wheels, white letter BFG All-Terrain T/A tires, blacked out chrome and dark headlights and taillights.  Trax Z71?  ;)

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

I would like to see a Trax with gloss black wheels, white letter BFG All-Terrain T/A tires, blacked out chrome and dark headlights and taillights.  Trax Z71?  ;)

I think it needs more engine to do that sadly..   :(

Every time I see the PR guy from Buick, I bug him about putting the 1.6T into the Encore..... so you can't say I'm not working on it. 

• Agree 1

+1 That would be one sick Ride!  :gitfunky:

Yes and no.  On a primary level, the Trax fits in with the HRv's, CX-3's, etc.  However, I think people will cross shop due to 4wd and general price point, and they likely will be classfied into the same size group.  They will probably be compared in magazine comparos.  You will get shoppers that will go down the ladder from Cherokee due to not being able to afford or want to spend so much and they will look at the Renegade.  Of course now the Terrain and Equinox are too big or expensive for some.

Yes and no.  On a primary level, the Trax fits in with the HRv's, CX-3's, etc.  However, I think people will cross shop due to 4wd and general price point, and they likely will be classfied into the same size group.  They will probably be compared in magazine comparos.  You will get shoppers that will go down the ladder from Cherokee due to not being able to afford or want to spend so much and they will look at the Renegade.  Of course now the Terrain and Equinox are too big or expensive for some.

The Renegade appeals more to the "I really want a Wrangler, but can't justify it" set.  The Trax appeals to the "I'd buy a Sonic, but I want AWD and to sit high up" set.   I like the Renegade, I really do, however the Chevy has the better interior for anyone who isn't out there in the mud. 

All Chevy has to do is point out that they have the better AWD system (and aside from Trailhawk versions of the Renegade and Cherokee, it's true) to ease the mommy fears about going in snow. 

Yeahbut $32,510 pales in comparison to a loaded Encore with 138 hp.

It's actually about the same price as a loaded Encore.  The Encore is far more luxury inside though, primarily through using nicer materials. 

I haven't driven a Renegade yet, but I'm betting that it is a lot louder inside and doesn't ride like the Buick out on the highway. 

Albert likes the look of the Renegade, but could never abide by its interior.  He tried it out at the NY auto show last year.   The 138hp in the Encore isn't an issue for him.  It feels perky enough around town and gets him to turnpike speeds just fine. He thinks the Encore is more powerful than our 160hp CRV, but that's all in the gearing so whatever... 

As I said earlier... two different types of Customers. 

the small CUV market has grown so much, it already is splintering into sub groups.

MSRP on more typical LT Trax AWD are about 25,300-26,000 and up from there, to even on the verge of 27,000

Most of the Renegade Latitude 4X4 i have built are falling in about the same range.

So if you simply come down to 

small

"cute"

AWD or 4WD

American brand

SUV

four cylinder

25,000- abouts at start,

they are remarkably similar and I easily can see many a shopping comparison from consumers, especially women CUV shoppers

Edited by regfootball

We will see clearly those that want more luxury will end up in a Trax or Encore and those that want the image of off road out doors going with the Renegade. Each will have fans and customers and I agree with Drew that I do not see one cannibalizing the others.

The Car and Driver I just got has a road test on the new Renegade.  Which version?

1.4 Sport, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

The test is not yet available on the website, but when it is, I will post it.

A pretty complimentary review.

I so wanted to post it, I thought ocnblu would like to read about it.........

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Car and Driver I just got has a road test on the new Renegade.  Which version?

1.4 Sport, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, ALL WHEEL DRIVE.

The test is not yet available on the website, but when it is, I will post it.

A pretty complimentary review.

I so wanted to post it, I thought ocnblu would like to read about it.........

here's that review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-jeep-renegade-sport-4x4-14t-manual-test-review

dealer i bought my cobalt from sent email about 1,000 down, 99 dollar a month lease deals on chevy trax LS FWD, wonder if they want to keep selling units before this renegade gets too popular

Edited by regfootball

• 2 weeks later...

Nice little review. I basically did the same a couple weeks ago when I saw one on a local lot. I too was very impressed with them in person. It also wasn't as tiny as I was expecting it to be. I didn't get to get in and mess around inside but I was very impressed overall with the exterior. The price seemed a little high to me. The one I saw was a FWD Lattitude and it was 24k. I know that isn't outrageous but it was only FWD and it is a Jeep. Also, I really liked how it had 17 inch wheels. They weren't big, weren't small and replacing tires wouldn't be an absolute nightmare.

This is the one I saw

ACD7F015-DA3E-4F77-9B78-A038682210B3_zps

2106600E-4718-41F9-BB72-B5B6DB1E1611_zps

I'm definitely getting sticker shock from that, but then again Buick sells the Encore in that range with the 1.4T. Cars in general are so damn expensive now. I can't imagine spending close to $25k for a compact that isn't performance oriented. That's only a few grand shy of what my Malibu stickered for and I've got a LOT more car for the money.

With that said, I do like the Renegade's funky styling and interior.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

I'm definitely getting sticker shock from that, but then again Buick sells the Encore in that range with the 1.4T. Cars in general are so damn expensive now. I can't imagine spending close to $25k for a compact that isn't performance oriented. That's only a few grand shy of what my Malibu stickered for and I've got a LOT more car for the money.

With that said, I do like the Renegade's funky styling and interior.

We're really happy with our Encore and it isn't for the vroom vroom performance.  We live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh but we are in downtown often.  I also take lots of long trips in the Encore.  It's great for both city scooting and long distance comfort.  0-60 is pretty meaningless to us.

That said,  I'll have a Renegade Trailhawk and Renegade Sport review up in a week or three.

One of my friends works at a Jeep store, and I took a trip to drive the Renegade, as I was possibly interested in buying one.

The first thing that surprised me was the size. It was a little larger than I imagined, and it definitely sat up higher than I thought it would. I have to say, I really do like the looks of it, it's funky, but still kinda tough looking. It gives of the impression it wants you to have fun with it. And it looks decent even in lower trim levels, which is something that can't be said for many other new cars.

It drove well enough. The model I tried was a FWD Lattitude with the 2.4 and 9AT. I wasn't expecting much from a powertrain standpoint, and I didn't get much. It was a little poky, for sure. Mid-range was decent, but it could definitely use some more power. The transmission was decent. Mostly imperceptible shifts, but it definitely likes to get up to top gear asap. It was also a little confused occasionally during part throttle and lift off. Overall, not bad. I'd much prefer the 4WD hooked up to the 1.4T and 6MT.

Ride and handling were rather good. The steering wasn't totally lacking in feel, was decently weighted, and accurate enough. The vehicle went where you told it. That's about all you can expect of such a vehicle. It would by no means be torture to drive on a backroad. The ride was about what I expected. A little bouncy, but devoid of sharp impacts and discomfort. Noise levels seemed average.

The interior I thought was good. For sure superior to the Trax. More rear seat room, nicer materials, and more eye-pleasing layout and design. The one I drove I had the 3-tone white/orange/brown interior, and it looked great. Would be a nightmare to keep clean, though. The rear seat can be configured multiple ways which I thought was a neat trick.

In short, I think it's a solid little offering. If I hadn't just bought my 4Runner and gone with something smaller, it would definitely have been my choice in the segment. The Trax is decent, but rather boring, and bland to look at. The Mazda will be too sporty for it's own good. The Honda can't be had with AWD and a manual. No CVT's for me. And all of them lack the (admittedly light) off-roading nature and ability of the Renegade. I think it'll be a very successful model. It's certainly light years better than the Compass and Patriot. 

I think Drew's right, this market segment will be so big it will be enough to support all the entries.

Also right is the notion that cars are getting so expensive and little rides like this being 25-30+ is a little outrageous, but that is the market.  These things will sell because they are actually some of the cheapest cars to get new yet.  A Trax ought not be 28k in the showroom, that's even a hard pill to swallow for an Equinox.

Really love everyone's findings and take on this rig so far.  Great to hear.  I hope to get a chance to test drive one this week.

Gonna call your bluff and ask you to find the Equinox with a sticker price of 28 grand and a v6.  A discounted price, maybe, but not an MSRP.

No no, I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying that the 'Nox is almost the size of a GC, so $28k isn't a bad price for one..... but at $34k for a smaller CR-V I would have second thoughts when not getting a V6.   (that said, you can get a Terrain Denali with an I4 for Grand Cherokee Limited money, but hey, it's your money)

The Equinox and Terrain are terrible vehicles. 

Eh,  I wouldn't go that far. They ride and drive pretty well and in 4-cylinder guise, they get decent fuel economy. They're tweener cars... smashed between the CR-V/RAV-4  and the Grand Cherokee/Edge in size. 

Where they really fall down is on their interiors which are now about 5 years out of date.

Gonna call your bluff and ask you to find the Equinox with a sticker price of 28 grand and a v6.  A discounted price, maybe, but not an MSRP.

No no, I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying that the 'Nox is almost the size of a GC, so $28k isn't a bad price for one..... but at $34k for a smaller CR-V I would have second thoughts when not getting a V6.   (that said, you can get a Terrain Denali with an I4 for Grand Cherokee Limited money, but hey, it's your money)

gotcha.  The Equinox is the seller it is because it is one of the few GM vehicles that is packaged well.  Lots of first and second row room for its class.  I am worried what GM will do to it downsizing it.

Even if the interiors are out of date, i think the design of the dash is well done still.  Chevy could have stood to have upgraded the seat cloth and door panels a bit, i think.

If GM merely did interior upgrades and an all new powertrain in the thing, they could continue to sell it with the same body style for 3 more years easy.

Edited by regfootball

gotcha.  The Equinox is the seller it is because it is one of the few GM vehicles that is packaged well.  Lots of first and second row room for its class.  I am worried what GM will do to it downsizing it.

Even if the interiors are out of date, i think the design of the dash is well done still.  Chevy could have stood to have upgraded the seat cloth and door panels a bit, i think.

If GM merely did interior upgrades and an all new powertrain in the thing, they could continue to sell it with the same body style for 3 more years easy.

I would have been happy with just the interior upgrades.  I don't know what new powertrain they'd put in.... the 2.5?  In my view, that's actually a step backwards.

a 1.6t or 1.8t and 8 speed auto would be nice on the Nox.  But would the rest of the chassis be up to date then.....2.5 is not great....

They got rid of the CD player, how is that for an interior upgrade?  (fossils like me still buy cds and use them in the car, sometimes)

Edited by regfootball

a 1.6t or 1.8t and 8 speed auto would be nice on the Nox.  But would the rest of the chassis be up to date then.....2.5 is not great....

They got rid of the CD player, how is that for an interior upgrade?  (fossils like me still buy cds and use them in the car, sometimes)

Typically such changes (the 1.5T and 1.6T are different engine family from the 2.4) require big wiring harness changes, EPA re-certifications, cold and hot weather testing.....  and then you start talking real money...

Eh,  I wouldn't go that far. They ride and drive pretty well and in 4-cylinder guise, they get decent fuel economy. They're tweener cars... smashed between the CR-V/RAV-4  and the Grand Cherokee/Edge in size. 

Where they really fall down is on their interiors which are now about 5 years out of date.

Relative to most of their competition, I stand by my claim. They have a decent ride, and that's about it. They're underpowered in I4 guise, get crap mileage, and are overpriced as hell. This, in addition to just being generally outdated and totally dull to drive. Resale value isn't stellar, either.

In truth, they are just about the very last small SUV I'd buy, with the list being-

1-Forester

2-Cherokee

3-CX-5

4-Rav

5-CR-V

6-Escape

7-'Nox/Terrain

8-Sportage/Tucson 

Their only saving grace is the available V6.

Relative to most of their competition, I stand by my claim. They have a decent ride, and that's about it. They're underpowered in I4 guise, get crap mileage, and are overpriced as hell. This, in addition to just being generally outdated and totally dull to drive. Resale value isn't stellar, either.

In truth, they are just about the very last small SUV I'd buy, with the list being-

1-Forester

2-Cherokee

3-CX-5

4-Rav

5-CR-V

6-Escape

7-'Nox/Terrain

8-Sportage/Tucson 

Well, they're also much larger than all of those you list as well.  It's almost a full size class difference in capacity. 

I think the Renegade is definitely something to watch in this class, it is sized with and will compare to the Encore, Trax, CX-3, etc., but they serve different roles.  If I was shopping right now a Trax would be my number two choice for a new vehicle.  I'd prefer a Mazda 3 hatch, but the AWD of the Trax is tempting, along with the available 4G LTE for my son to run things on his tablet.  Encore is nice, but I don't need all that price and luxury.  Renegade is interesting, though, and if I had any intentions of off-roading would give the Trax a run for it's money.  It would be interesting to see Chevy offer a more off-road friendly version of the Trax, but it would need more power and I just don't think they'll do it.  So if that's your interest, Renegade is THE choice in the segment.  Interestingly (at least to me), the CX-3 loses something in styling  when they take a small sedan and turn it into a CUV, and doesn't do enough to really stand out, so though a Mazda 3 may be my overall vehicle choice, Mazda's entry into this class is near the bottom for me.  I'm not really at all interested in the HR-V for similar reasons to the CX-3, visually it bores me and it just doesn't bring anything all that new or exciting to the party.  I've seen the Soul listed in some places as being a part of this class as well, but for it's sake I hope it doesn't get cross-shopped here.  Easily the ugliest of the vehicles to compete there, plus the somewhat iffy Kia mark I think will have it lose a lot of sales to competitors if it has to match up with these.

1-Forester

2-Cherokee

3-CX-5

4-Rav

5-CR-V

6-Escape

7-'Nox/Terrain

8-Sportage/Tucson 

Well, they're also much larger than all of those you list as well.  It's almost a full size class difference in capacity. 

And in all my years of experience with them in car sales, that has never ONCE been the deciding factor in someone buying one.

I think the Renegade is definitely something to watch in this class, it is sized with and will compare to the Encore, Trax, CX-3, etc., but they serve different roles.  If I was shopping right now a Trax would be my number two choice for a new vehicle.  I'd prefer a Mazda 3 hatch, but the AWD of the Trax is tempting, along with the available 4G LTE for my son to run things on his tablet.  Encore is nice, but I don't need all that price and luxury.  Renegade is interesting, though, and if I had any intentions of off-roading would give the Trax a run for it's money.  It would be interesting to see Chevy offer a more off-road friendly version of the Trax, but it would need more power and I just don't think they'll do it.  So if that's your interest, Renegade is THE choice in the segment.  Interestingly (at least to me), the CX-3 loses something in styling  when they take a small sedan and turn it into a CUV, and doesn't do enough to really stand out, so though a Mazda 3 may be my overall vehicle choice, Mazda's entry into this class is near the bottom for me.  I'm not really at all interested in the HR-V for similar reasons to the CX-3, visually it bores me and it just doesn't bring anything all that new or exciting to the party.  I've seen the Soul listed in some places as being a part of this class as well, but for it's sake I hope it doesn't get cross-shopped here.  Easily the ugliest of the vehicles to compete there, plus the somewhat iffy Kia mark I think will have it lose a lot of sales to competitors if it has to match up with these.

in the instance someone is cross shopping the Trax and Renegade, i think the interior space advantage the Renegade has could be killer.

Kia's Sould doesn't have AWD and really is not their competitor here, but I was checking MSRP's on those today for kicks, and I found it crazy that most of the MSRP's on those are getting up in that territory of the Renegades and Trax as well (FWD's at least)..  It is scary the asking prices on these small rides.

Conversely today I saw that Ford is really breaking out incentives on the Escape nowadays.  They are really cheap to buy right now and I don't mean just the S model.  One shop I looked at had a FWD 2.0 Escape for like 22 and change, that was almost 7 grand off.  With the new Edge coming in and trying to seek high transaction prices, and with Ford having no direct competitor in the Trax type segment, I think Ford has a strategy of dumping Escapes for market share....now that this new body has been out for awhile.  If I were shopping and were drawn to the Renegade or Trax, I think the Escape prices would bring me in for a test drive and to be honest their value proposition would probably be what wins me over right now.  I'm not sure Ford wants to be in the small CUV segment to be honest.

The Escape just does nothing for me, though I do like the looks of the Edge, besides, if I'm shopping in this segment the Escape wouldn't even be an option for me.  Dropping the price doesn't make it a smaller more efficient vehicle, and that's what this segment is about.  These buyers aren't generally going to care if they can get bigger for the same or less because bigger isn't what they were after in the first place.  If the vehicle doesn't meet their needs then there really isn't a value proposition.

• 4 weeks later...

DRIVEN

2015 Jeep Latitude FWD 2.4A  MSRP 24,730

HIGHS

Cheeky little monkey!  And this is not bad, it's ok to have one funky Jeep in the lineup....good looks + distinctive

Lots of little easter egg Jeep logo finds in different places inside (for example, the Jeep name in the seats and the little Jeep grilles on the windshield)

Vast improvement over its predecessors, Compass and Patriorot

Headroom, girth, and COMMANDING chair posture in the front (headroom continues in rear)

Interesting and well designed interior.  Lots of cool detail and plastics are appropriate for this class and price.  Nice tan cloth.

"To character" gauges and I felt the switchgear and controls were also nicer than expected

Don't forget, good ergonomics as well.

2.4 plus nine speed automatic is a good powertrain in this rig.  Good acceleration.  Decently smooth motor.  and......

Most of the time>>>>>, the 8 speed (or is it 9 speed) transmission demonstrates willing kick down and good behavior

Good highway car, 1700 rpm at high speed (should make for good mpg right???), reasonably quiet

Pretty good stoplight to stoplight too, remember, there are enough gears for any situtation!

I liked the steering, I thought it was weighted decently and somewhat quick.  Great feeling heated steering wheel is nice and thick and has great button layout.

A surprisingly decent interpretation of entry level into the Jeep brand

LOWS

Small trunk, unacceptably small (smaller than I originally thought but blame the subwoofer for some of that)

Smaller and tight second row leg room + low cushion (how did i miss this before?)

Not athletic or sporty

Every now and then the transmission gets a little busy with a lot of shifting or other funkiness

The motor can be buzzy when you kick the throttle down and ask it to accelerate hard on the freeway

The aura inside and view out the windshield is more akin to being inside a NASA bubble and looking out instead of a car

The side window is glass is really thin and chintzy (seals are less meaty too) and it lets in unexpected noise high in the cabin, probably spoils good noise reduction efforts elsewhere

A little bit of a feeling that some of the vehicle dynamics could be refined more, though.  For example, it is not on par with the Escape in this way (i know, the Escape is a 'higher' class, but they do ---crossover----***cough**** on prices more than you think)

Also, just a little bit of a real sense that Sergio and Tony are lingering somewhere in the trunk.  Can you trust Fiat guts?

Not really a full replacement for the vehicles one class up, if that is your reason to look.  It doesn't transcend the subcompact group.  Stick with a Cherokee if you can swing it.

SUMMARY

I think Chrysler did a pretty decent job with all they needed to do here.  This had to be a world Jeep, and be smaller for other markets.  It had to coexist and possibly replace the Compass and Patriot.  It had have some Fiat guts.  It had to have pretty decent mpg.  It had to reflect some of Jeep's styling cues, and it had to dial down the butch relative to say, a Wrangler, because of who the market may be for this rig.

It's really a stylistic coup, if a bit corny it really stands out and yet can be on the Jeep show floor too.  And it does ride and drive pretty decent.  It is not top tier, but there is satisfaction in the ride and drive that i think people will believe they are getting what they are paying for and maybe a bit more.  Along with that, you get some funky design and show the world you are a fun somebody.

There's some little bits of fine tuning here for Tony to do here, if they can keep Sergio out of it.  A little more refinement of the shifting, and some NVH bits (thicker side glass for one).

My feeling here is the personality is there in spades and the ride and drive supports that adequately for most people.  It feels like a substantial vehicle for its class and price, and when you combine personality, value, and good performance, its a win for the buyer.  I would give a B+, but i think I could feel Tony hiding in the trunk still.  Maybe i give it a solid B for now.  Or  B+, take your pick.  

Anyone who checks this out though, i suggest taking a Cherokee out for a spin as well.  With a similar powertrain and more lux inside, it may be a better rig for a lot of folks, if you aren't married to the cheeky monkey look.

Edited by regfootball