Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Happy CINCO de MAYO !!! Ole'.

Hey, today is Cinco de Mayo! Obviously, it's more of an event in the West, particularly California, as our ties and proximity to Mexico are obvious.

Planning on doing anything? I might actually go to a happy hour with some co-workers but I think all Mexican restaurants will be quite busy being that it's Friday AND a "special" day.

I think i might eat some chips and some salsa...or eat some Tacos and Potato Ole's

Edited by Charger4U

Hey, today is Cinco de Mayo!  Obviously, it's more of an event in the West, particularly California, as our ties and proximity to Mexico are obvious.

Planning on doing anything?  I might actually go to a happy hour with some co-workers but I think all Mexican restaurants will be quite busy being that it's Friday AND a "special" day.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is celebrated on the Cinco de Mayo?

Ah, boa tarde, voce mora em Lisboa? Que sorte! Eu conheco Lisboa - foi a li 6 vezes - as primeiras vezes no centro e a ultima ficai na zona de Expo 98, perto da estacao Oriente. Maravilhosa. Uma das cidades mais lindas em tudo o mundo.

O cinco de maio e a Festa da Independencia do Mexico. Nao se com certeza, mais eu acho que foi a independencia e a separacao da Espanha.

Edited by trinacriabob

Desculpe. Otra vez. Gerardo do Mexico explica que era uma batalha com a Francia.

Pretty similar to El Torito. These used to be separate chains, but now they're under the same ownership. You can get a decent lunch for $10. I prefer Chevy's over both of these.

Order of preference:

Acapulco - only because it is the mildest in terms of "fire hydrant needed" factor - it is good, go try it, Crocmeister.

El Torito

Chevy's

Also, "On the Border Grill" - not ubiqutous - is pretty good

One of them has the sweet corn mush that is delicious!

Today was a pretty good day, be it Cinco de Mayo or not.

I have my car all ready and prepped for the engine to be pulled. And I have found somebody to do it for me cheap!

And I had a good night hanging out with the girl I like.

Order of preference:

Acapulco - only because it is the mildest in terms of "fire hydrant needed" factor - it is good, go try it, Crocmeister.

El Torito

Chevy's

Also, "On the Border Grill" - not ubiqutous - is pretty good

One of them has the sweet corn mush that is delicious!

I'll see if I can get the padre to agree to it...he's not into Mexican as much as I am and would prolly rather go to Seoul Jung. Heh...I'd offer him some places in Chinatown, but I'm going with a bro to CBS Seafood for some of their amazing Dim Sum tomorrow...don't think I can handle Chinese twice in one week...

FYI...schools almost out, el padre is flying in Monday night...and we leave in an SUV for San Antonio before going back to The Nap...

All that said, I'll see what he wants to do for meals...is Acapulco open for lunch? That might be nice after I finish my Geology 240 final at 1...

Edited by Croc

Tonight was just another lame friday night for me...atleast I kind of had something to do though...I turned on my car today only to be confronted with an error message to check my side lights (which would mean my turn signals, and due to my custom wiring harness for my new headlights, the angel eyes as well). I popped the hood and as it turns out there were little footprints in the engine bay along with part of the original BMW wiring harness chewed all the way through...I guess being that my car stays very warm for a long time, some bastard mice decided they wanted to camp out in there, and while they were in there they chewed my wiring harness...So I spent an hour or so ripping out my headlights and re-soldering some connections and b.s. like that...Oh, I also laid some traps... :AH-HA_wink:

Please don't put them under the hood, Nicky boy.

Hey CB, thanks for that 4:22 post. Funny! You're sly. Croc, I thought of the same thing you did the moment I saw that.

I didn't do anything special last night. I was in town. It was a warm night, and there were a lot of people walking around for First Friday, when all the downtown art galleries have open house. Cafes set up tables on sidewalks, a couple of places had live acoustic music outside. Franklin & Marshall college set off fireworks as I ventured home. I stood on my deck and watched them wind down. It would have been so much better if someone were here with me.

Edited by ocnblu

All that said, I'll see what he wants to do for meals...is Acapulco open for lunch?  That might be nice after I finish my Geology 240 final at 1...

I'm sure it is. They do a good chunk of their business at that time. Good luck on finals, BTW.

I'm sure it is.  They do a good chunk of their business at that time.  Good luck on finals, BTW.

Thanks, yea it looks like they have some kinda lunch buffet? Sounds decent...I really wanna check it out...

I'll see if I can get the padre to agree to it...he's not into Mexican as much as I am and would prolly rather go to Seoul Jung.  Heh...I'd offer him some places in Chinatown, but I'm going with a bro to CBS Seafood for some of their amazing Dim Sum tomorrow...don't think I can handle Chinese twice in one week...

FYI...schools almost out, el padre is flying in Monday night...and we leave in an SUV for San Antonio before going back to The Nap...

All that said, I'll see what he wants to do for meals...is Acapulco open for lunch?  That might be nice after I finish my Geology 240 final at 1...

What's up with all the Chinatown dim sum places... CBS, NBC, ABC...

My favorite one is on some multi-story building with a multi-story parking lot. I think it's called Empress Pavilion, though it's always busy on weekends... it's best to go there really early, like brunchtime.

Edited by empowah

Aha, OK.

Thanks / Obrigado.

trinacriabob voce e brasileiro/a?

No. Sou Italiano. Eu nasci em Los Angeles CA USA mais os minhos paes e o minho irmao nasciram em Italia. Mais o menos, tudos os minhos primos moram em Italia. Quando era novo, nos fazeram viages do Estados Unidos (Nova Iorque) ate a Italia com o transatlantico e a primeira paragem era sempre Lisboa. Gostava muito do Ponte 25 de Abril. Pensava quando eu sou adulto, eu vou voltar para conhecer o Portugal melhor. Entao, gosto do Portugal muito (Lisboa 6 vezes, Algarve 4 vezes e Porto uma vez). O proximo verao, tenho programado visitar Porto e cidades pertas (Viana do Castelo, Braga) otra vez e Madeira pela primeira vez...para dormir na praia...ou o lado da piscina. Falo Italiano e Espanhol, mais preciso falar e escribir o Portugues com mais facilidade....preciso praticar.

Ate logo!

Acapulco has a buffet, which is nice if you're in a rush and don't want to wait for the food, though the cooked to order stuff is better.

For fast food-type Mexican food, Rubio's is decent, as is Baja Fresh.