Random Thoughts Thread

This made the local news as some car restorers bought a bunch from this place. You forget about what is now classic car junk yards that are tucked away between the tall evergreen trees here in Washington State.

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/features/washingtons-hidden-classic-car-wrecking-yard/

118 Photos as the yard is all Chevrolet. Some amazing rides.

1200-1904.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

What makes you think OH, Cubie?

EDIT : googled the truck lettering... unless you knew 'Canal Fulton'.

Yeah, I recognized Canal Fulton, been through there, around 40 miles from here. 

Just drove a co-workers new 2017 Escape S (the base model) with the 2.5....this thing handles much better than I thought in this weather! Just proved my wife's point of why we don't need a Jeep for MI....:lol:

I think I could do one of these in Blue or silver and the Ford discount......though I after seeing some more Terrians, I like those too......

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Michelin Alpin all-season tires according to the article...the pic is attributed to the Corvette Product Manager Harlan Charles..taken in his driveway in December...

If it's the Michelin Alpin, it is a winter/snow tire. 

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Dodge proposal sketch circa 1966.

66 ? Dodge.png

That looks about the size of the bus I ride every day. (IT'S NOT A SHORT BUS! :lol:)

But in all seriousness, that's a pretty awesome looking automobile but probably pretty terrible to drive if you're not cruising the interstate eating miles up. 

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

If it's the Michelin Alpin, it is a winter/snow tire.  

Wondered about that, the article called them all-season.  I like Michelins..the Defenders on my Jeep have been good this winter (albeit I haven't had to go out in the snow much). 

Interesting how that Dodge concept could have been be badged as anything--it really has no resemblance to any production Dodge of the era...

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Dodge proposal sketch circa 1966.

66 ? Dodge.png

Knowing Europe, they would say this was a people killer and illegal since it does not have those polite crumple points and scoop points to protect the average walking person.

Forget about the fact that people need to pay attention to where they are going!

Thanks for posting this car, it is really cool even though we all know it would be a massive 2 person only car the size of a Suburban. :P 

26 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Interesting how that Dodge concept could have been be badged as anything--it really has no resemblance to any production Dodge of the era...

Yup, I am surprised it was a dodge as I could easily see it as a Chrysler.

Just now, dfelt said:

Knowing Europe, they would say this was a people killer and illegal since it does not have those polite crumple points and scoop points to protect the average walking person.

Forget about the fact that people need to pay attention to where they are going!

That's from 50+ years ago, though...don't think anyone cared about that then..pedestrians were there to be mowed down and maimed then.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Wondered about that, the article called them all-season.  I like Michelins..the Defenders on my Jeep have been good this winter (albeit I haven't had to go out in the snow much). 

Yeah I recognized that name and I had to check it out to confirm but it's definitely not an all-season. I've actually never owned anything with Michelins on it. I'd love to try them out eventually. The most probably candidate is the PS3 A/S but having two sets of wheels for my Focus I guess any summer and winter tire is fair game. 

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I hate that car design has to compensate for idiots. Such a shame. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

Yeah I recognized that name and I had to check it out to confirm but it's definitely not an all-season. I've actually never owned anything with Michelins on it. I'd love to try them out eventually. The most probably candidate is the PS3 A/S but having two sets of wheels for my Focus I guess any summer and winter tire is fair game. 

My sister's old Mercedes 500SEL and 300CE I often drove in Arizona had Michelins, but it was always sunny, dusty and boring out so their was never winter weather to deal with...  

The Jeep's original Goodyear Forteras had 32k on them when I replaced them and they were pretty worn down...

My two favorite tires are the BF Goodrich All-Terrains and the Michelin Defenders. They just handle Snow, mud, rain and dry weather so well. 

Yes the BF handle better Snow, Mud, Rain than the Defenders, but the defenders are much more quiet on dry roads and rain, but totally decent in snow, when I drive the escalade up skiing.

Cannot go wrong with either one and they do last.

• Agree 1

I wanted to randomly add that I'm glad that the Philadelphia Eagles took the Super Bowl.  New England has won it too often lately, with last year's game being absurd.  I left the place I was chowing down that evening and watching the game ... and learned that New England had turned it around on Atlanta (it would have been their first win) at the very end as I was looking at my phone while going through the checkout stand.  Philadelphia has gone a time or two over the years, but has never won.  Now they have. I am not a huge fan of sitting around an entire sports season and spending three and a half hour clips of time to watch all the games.  However, I manage to get somewhat interested toward the end.  I tend to root for the underdog, unless it's a place and/or a team I very much dislike.

• Agree 3

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, and it was a close game....they way it should be...

After a while, past Super Bowls tend to run together.  However, I will have to say that I enjoyed the big spread in the score that Seattle enjoyed throughout the game in one Super Bowl within the last 3 to 5 years.  When it's a team's first time to win and it's a team you like, you don't mind the big spread.  Also, looking at the list on winners on Wiki, I was really glad when New Orleans won it within 5 years of Hurricane Katrina.  They needed that!  And they earned it, too.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

After a while, past Super Bowls tend to run together.  However, I will have to say that I enjoyed the big spread in the score that Seattle enjoyed throughout the game in one Super Bowl within the last 3 to 5 years.  When it's a team's first time to win and it's a team you like, you don't mind the big spread 

That was a painful one--2014, they destroyed my Broncos.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

SydMead1.jpg

One of Syd Mead's designs? 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I've held that one in hand somewhere/sometime in the past.

- - - - -
Some concept car art done by my friend, Ex-Hudson & ex-Chrysler stylist Don Butler. I believe this was for Chrysler circa 1956, showing a very early version of the production '59 swivel seats (but with an added recline feature).

56 ? Chrysler art Don Butler.png

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 11:36 PM, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

After disappointing seasons this year for the teams I follow, it was satisfying to see an underdog win.  Was an entertaining Super Bowl. 

Steelers did OK...

https://www.facebook.com/100009450681424/videos/2001082776883392/

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Steelers did OK...

Yes they did..would have been nice to see them in the Super Bowl.   The catch rule calls this season have been crazy.   Since the Browns are so horrible I've gone back to being a Steelers fan also (which I was as a kid since I was close to the Burgh living in Steubenville). 

23 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yea, why are OEM still putting steeler rims with hubcaps on cars. Just terrible..........

:huh: O'h wait your talking about football, well the Steelers I am surprised are still around considering we pretty much got rid of steel manufacturing. But it would be cool if they did do better. But the stupid rules and calls just make me shake my head at the NFL. :nono:

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yea, why are OEM still putting steeler rims with hubcaps on cars. Just terrible..........

:huh: O'h wait your talking about football, well the Steelers I am surprised are still around considering we pretty much got rid of steel manufacturing. But it would be cool if they did do better. But the stupid rules and calls just make me shake my head at the NFL. :nono:

Yes, steel rims and hubcaps don't look good on modern cars...but on late 60s-early 70s muscle cars, they look fantastic, IMO...

maxresdefault-2.jpg

13600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The catch rule calls this season have been crazy.

I think what you meant to say is BULLSH!T and it's been like quite a few seasons at this point. Dez's "catch" I'm pretty sure was like 2012 and Calvin Jonhson's even older in 2010.

Yes, this was called an incomplete pass. It was a game winner with time expiring on that play too. Or maybe the clock was just under a minute.. Either way it should have won them the game. 

js6cdsff8xmniw1bfrsp.gif

So the Facebook link is of a car getting crushed, check it out...think it is a pre-production prototype. 

My father took a turn for the worse Sunday and passed away.  He was 79.  Thursday his blood work came back good and the doctor said he might live another 5 years.

Vintage Mopar Muscle is fantastic for clearing my head today, thanks for posting that up.

And yes, Steel wheels with hubcaps complete the look. Not much of an NFL fan...

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I think what you meant to say is BULLSH!T and it's been like quite a few seasons at this point. Dez's "catch" I'm pretty sure was like 2012 and Calvin Jonhson's even older in 2010.

Yes, this was called an incomplete pass. It was a game winner with time expiring on that play too. Or maybe the clock was just under a minute.. Either way it should have won them the game. 

js6cdsff8xmniw1bfrsp.gif

Looks like a complete pass to me..

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear that...losing parents can be rough...lost my Dad at age 78 in 1999 after a 3 year fight with cancer.   That hit me hard as we were close.  Lost my Mom almost 2 years ago at age 85, felt nothing.   She and I had been semi-estranged for a while..

• Agree 1