Random Thoughts Thread

21 minutes ago, balthazar said:

But they couldn't give them away. A more expensive variant of the same formula is going to sell in double digits/month. What's the pay-off?

Maybe the company write off against profits to reduce their tax bill? :smilewide:

Very Cool, Jaguar i-Pace is faster and stops faster than the Tesla X P100D

FYI, Jaguar at 10AM PST will be revealing the production version of the i-Pace EV CUV.

Reveal started at 10am PST. really cool watching on the race track and offroad.

I am pumped.

Very cool CUV! :metal: 

WOW, Autoblog says the Honda CR-V is getting a 3rd seat row. Talk about making a butt ugly CUV cramped.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/01/honda-cr-v-third-row-hybrid-geneva/

Crazy, :wacko:

• Agree 1

I've seen pics of the I-Pace and MAN is it an awkward, stubby, ungraceful lump. I've read that some folk love it, but some folk love anything ever built as a motor vehicle, I guess. Jaguar used to instill a (very fitting) feline gracefulness in their cars, I guess that's out the window.

• Thanks 1

Saw this and a first rate job, wish for better looking rims / tire combo.

Cadillac really needs to get back into having a pickup truck.

Escalade-Pickup.png

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 10.23.00 PM.png

Please take clear note of the absolute purity of design, coupled with the permanence of genuine materials.  Real metals with durable surfaces... no second-rate plastics.  An icon of American industrial excellence.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

what do you see?

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 9.52.41 PM.png

WOW, Very cool Engine design of 8 carbs on the sides with center exhaust straight up, open pipe. Never seen an engine layout like this before. Bet it is loud.

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Very strange...it's like the location of the intake(s) and exhaust are reversed...wonder what the purpose of such  a configuration is. 

Look at where the distributor is, in a place you usually find a water pump? This motor has me very confused.

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

And where is the fan and radiator? 

Seems to have plumbing on the front of the block going underneath to the back. I see the piping for where coolant would go in and it seems to go in under the cab to some place else.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Seems Cadillac commercial at the oscars show plenty of the XT4, but nothing on You Tube officially yet other than other peoples posts.

Seems a Dealership caught the full commercial just as is, posted it with their on ending of call them to reserve one now.

Liking the looks of it....

54 minutes ago, balthazar said:

32802u_0.jpg

35-in rims. Packard, I believe '21.

Wonder what the approach and departure angles are on that!?

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Cadillac had this commercial on the Oscars tonight and posted to their Youtube Channel.

I like that the Escala look is being put into production. I wish it had debuted on an updated CT6 first.   I had the same objection with the Continental nose actually being released for sale on the MKZ before the Continental was out. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

771.gif

Is that a Chevy/GMC van with a 4WD conversion?  It's gotta be a van but I can't tell the make from here... guessing by the license plate cut-out on the front bumple.

Very strange how the driveshafts come from the black trapezoid (transfer case?) and connect to thingys behind each wheel..never seen a driveline like that.. 

Googling turned up this--Vemco V-drive 4x4 conversion..

The Vehicle Engineering and Manufacturing Company of Fort Wayne Indiana offered Ford and Chevy van conversions from approximately 1976-1980, and went out of business soon thereafter.

Same picture of the van on it's side w/ rust..
http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2017/06/a-full-size-chevy-van-with-vemco-v.html

This article is linked from the above link, refers to it as a Dana system.  Has that same strange picture.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-outtake-1980-dana-v-drive-4wd-gmc-school-van-a-rarity-indeed/

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Thanks 2

I'd heard of Quigley 4x4 conversions, usually with Ford Econolines.   But had not heard of Mowag---Swiss Dodge van 4x4 conversions.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/reader-ride-dodge-mowag-4x4-b350-van-swiss-rarity/

Dodge-Mowag-red.png

• Agree 3

@ocnblu @balthazar @A Horse With No Name

Thought you all would get a kick out of this Driving Manifesto!

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/18952/this-is-the-human-driving-manifesto

Have to admit, I agree with a number of points he makes.

• Agree 2