Random Thoughts Thread

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

Well, no. Dow was right about 17,500 when Trump was elected, so it's still up 4000 pts from then. Beyond that, the S&P was up 19.4% last year alone, so the bump is even greater if you're in it for the long term. This is not to dismiss the 5000 pt drop from the peak tho.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 12.04.59 AM.png

Lets actually go with his inauguration day when he is held accountable for the stock market, not the past president. From this point forward he truly had control of changing the dynamics and now we sit near this point again on Xmas day just shy of 2 years in the white house.

The Dow closed at 19,827.25 on Inauguration Day, Jan. 20, 2017

• Agree 1

IF you want to believe the President has any DIRECT effect on the market, you'd legitimately have to go back to Nov 8, not Jan 20. Altho I understand the indirect effects, saying the President sets stock market performance is as legitimate as saying he sets the price of gas. It's consumer & investor actions, not the White House. At EoD Nov 7, the Dow was at 17,888. That was the 9th session of straight losses, the first time it had hit that mark since 1980.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

IF you want to believe the President has any DIRECT effect on the market, you'd legitimately have to go back to Nov 8, not Jan 20. Altho I understand the indirect effects, saying the President sets stock market performance is as legitimate as saying he sets the price of gas. It's consumer & investor actions, not the White House. At EoD Nov 7, the Dow was at 17,888.

I get what your saying :) 

Packard Proving Grounds, founded in 1927. Then & now :: note the dual driveway entering at 3:00 in the aerial shot. The remaining parcel, gateway, dual drives & a 458-ft section of the original test track are what remains, now a designated historical site and open for a variety of functions ~

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 11.19.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 11.17.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 11.20.22 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Would make a nice toy...

More...

48406922_1120940581407361_74932815355424

48396519_2888229711194523_83539579218427

c12d45b2c817f8ce2b7fb4b266a0a47a.jpg

86D3U8Q.jpg

1513632882708-09_jfk_airport_new_york_ci

015lFkA.png

I’ll take the charger, please.....

16 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Thinking of picking this up for $2500. Runs but need engine work, new shocks and tires and obviously some body work 

20181223_101611.jpg

20181223_101641.jpg

20181225_080807.jpg

Depends how rust free it is.......

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I’ll take the charger, please.....

Depends how rust free it is.......

Why settle for just one...

And that's why Balthy is buying it...like every other vintage car...all of the rust is free with purchase!

https://youtu.be/ANSUO98oWY0

Funny!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Wut? What am I buying now? 😯
A Charger? For me or for dave?

dave- despite the season, yer not getting a Charger from me. Sorry buddy.

I was making reference to his post....all of the Rust in the Chevy Blazer you are looking at is free.

• Haha 2

On 12/14/2018 at 4:14 AM, balthazar said:

I was unaware, as apparently most people are, that the $2 bill is still in production (since it's reissue in '76).
THought this related tidbit was intertesting :
"
A documented case of using two-dollar bills to send a message to a community is the case of Geneva Steel and the communities in the surrounding Utah County. In 1989, Geneva Steel paid its employee bonuses in $2 bills. When the bills began to appear in different places, people recognized the importance of the company to the local economy"

On 12/14/2018 at 8:03 AM, Robert Hall said:

I've had maybe a dozen in circulation come to me in change over the last 30+ years.  Pretty uncommon to see one. 

On 12/14/2018 at 8:24 AM, dfelt said:

I think many people save them as they are uncommon. I have a whole stash of them. lol

I got one as change on the dining car on an Amtrak trip years ago.  I keep it in my wallet as a good luck charm. ....

...... hasn't seemed to work. 

• Agree 3

On 12/25/2018 at 10:33 AM, balthazar said:

IF you want to believe the President has any DIRECT effect on the market, you'd legitimately have to go back to Nov 8, not Jan 20. Altho I understand the indirect effects, saying the President sets stock market performance is as legitimate as saying he sets the price of gas. It's consumer & investor actions, not the White House. At EoD Nov 7, the Dow was at 17,888. That was the 9th session of straight losses, the first time it had hit that mark since 1980.

What the stock market likes most is certainty.  With the current resident of the Whitehouse, the only thing that is certain is the uncertainty. 

• Agree 2

On 12/26/2018 at 9:58 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

I had either a Peugeot 107 and 207, with a manual, in northern Portugal on vacation once.  It was zippy, the fuel economy was great, and it was the only manual econobox I've ever rented that I've actually liked.  Then, at the end of the YouTube, when the announcer does speak, it was in Portuguese.  So, the commercial, a very funny one, could be for the Brazilian market, the Portuguese market, or both.

• Agree 2

I keep a same year penny in my older vehicles. Made this '40' piece out of a piece of brass plumbing pipe, since then I crimped over the edge and it hangs from a small spring on the '40's key. The penny would ride in the ash tray, but the '40 don't have one. Maybe I'll epoxy the penny to the backside of the medallion.

DSC04812 S.JPG

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

Drove down to Steubenville, Ohio today w/ my sister..visited some of our favorite restaurants from childhood there in the 70s (she went to high school and college there, I did kindergarten and elementary school there).  Pizza from a small take-out joint and a 'meatball heel' sandwich from a hole-in-the wall Italian restaurant...as tasty as I remember it from 1977.  

On the way over there and back drove past the GM Lordstown plant twice..it's right beside I-80.  Huge place.   

Did see a couple of the new Silverados out and about, one in dark red and one in dark blue, both 4drs. 

Driving along Ohio Rt 7 along the Ohio river drove through this tunnel that goes through a huge power plant in Stratton, Ohio. 

Sammis-power-plant.jpg

A couple pics of the bridges over the Ohio River at Steubenville..

13346449_1704573409796540_3395965255831785311_n.jpg

Weirton.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I do not remember that chrome bar on the front. Exciting they are here, but will have to wait till I see more on them. Was the Sport model, top of the line Monochromatic? 🤔

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, dfelt said:

Was the Sport model, top of the line Monochromatic? 🤔

Well, the white one in the video is the Premiere, featuring body-color lower cladding.  The RS, IIRC one level down from the Premiere, features gloss black painted lower cladding.  The lower trims get black textured lower cladding, as seen on the black one in the video.

• Thanks 1

Man, didn’t even get to see the Blazers there yet...oh well.

No matter, today I picked up a 2019 Equinox LS in Kinetic Blue.

Posted a few pics of FB, as I get a few more (snowing here now), I will post those bad boys here.....

One thing I like about this color is that it gives it a sporty look without the chrome......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Decided to get rid of stock AM Radio.. cut dash and slipped in a new sytem. Ran wires to the rear after I cut holes in the top, cause these cars only came with a speaker in the middle of the seats and in the middle of the dash. This spring I will paint dash and what not... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

So who's going to rescue that mid-60s Grand Prix out of that garage?

That's a '64. I consider it 'rescued'; it's mine. I am going to do some 'purging' in the garage this week, but I'm working on the '59 right now. But people around me are increasingly on me to get something done with it (including numerous offers to buy), perhaps me posting this pic is looking for more 'kicks in the ass'. I have the resident '63 Corvette still in my shop- it should leave in a few weeks (I hope), opening 1 bay up- perhaps then, along with the Purge, I can look at giving some attention to it. The motor is free, and it hasn't shown any deterioration since it was garaged... but I would have to go thru all systems to attempt to re-road it. It's been sitting for... many years now.

52 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Decided to get rid of stock AM Radio...

What vehicle is that?

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Yeah everything in time. Seats and upholstery was redone but the dash... I was always afraid of doing a repaint but if I take my time this Spring and mask everything off properly I should be good to go

Always fun working on your own ride...

Love the vintage action!

Granted it is just plastic but I still really love 53 to 56 Ford Trucks....

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Always fun working on your own rides

Its really the only way to go in my opinion. Last hope for fun of a Shade Tree Mechanic. New cars are too techy for major things. Being able to pull an engine, tranny, etc is confined to older rides. 

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 1.58.51 AM.png

Could have been a nice Trans-Am

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Its really the only way to go in my opinion. Last hope for fun of a Shade Tree Mechanic. New cars are too techy for major things. Being able to pull an engine, tranny, etc is confined to older rides. 

Course always fun if you have the time and money to take a newer auto you like that say has a blown motor and decide you want to convert it to an EV for local commute fun. :P 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1