Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Ya- I don't get the long-running fashion of slapping skirts on cars that didn't come with them- it's almost universally a worse look.
And in the custom arena- 101% of the 'cruiser / bubble' skirts look awful.

Here's the same body shell '63 vs. 64 Eldorado- the '63 looks fine but I prefer the '64 ~

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 9.50.08 AM.png

Cars that big, coupes especially, need skirts to look right. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I can 'see past' those flares; if the quarters had none, I still say it would look bad with full skirts.
Look at your Toro.

Also has the wheel flares... but it is a relatively short rear deck.  I'm talking about cars with half a Stratofortress as a trunk. Ones that look like fuselages. 

• Agree 1

I never cared for the '55 Biscayne- too bug-eyed and strange. Also; 1st gen Corvair-esque from the rear, which I don't hate, but it's not necc 'beautiful'. Still, I love that it was brought back from the grave ad I appreciate the elevated strata it lives in as a General Motors concept car.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 10.04.36 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Did I hear someone say fuselages?

Image result for 1984 corvette

How about this one?

Related image

I think l also read something about skirts?

Related image

and skirts not looking so good with fender flares?

Image result for skirts gif

I must have misread then...sorry! 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

1-1512052940567@2x.jpg

2-1512052940963.jpg

Did someone say... FUSELAGES?

3-1512052941357.jpg

16087988910_3030154c1e.jpg

16087823258_68bcb1d8f7.jpg

My high school gym Teacher Alex Barron had one of those...I always smiled when it rolled in the high school lot.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I like the Mopar C-body fuselage styling era.....here are a couple more...the Dodge and the mega beast Imperial. 

81833.jpg

john-griffiths-1970-imperial-crown-coupe.jpg

That imperial is wonderful!

• Agree 1

I actively tried to pick up a '70 Polara coupe with the Superlite option, but we couldn't agree on a price.
I was also heavily eyeballing a '69 version, don't recall if price was ever discussed/talked to anyone.
- - - - -
1960 Pontiac Mustang (local 1-dealer, 1-year package) ~

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.01.07 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

Shawangunk Mountains, Ulster County NY ~

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 11.04.34 PM.png

Nice...  a place in NY I'd like to visit again is Letchworth State Park and the Gennessee River in Wyoming County, NY (pic below)..  I visited there 20 years ago when I was at a wedding in the Buffalo area.

I was up in Western NY last year to Dunkirk, saw the lighthouse and some beaches...a short drive from Cleveland. Want to go to Chautauqua Lake and Niagara Falls this summer. 

07948c28-65df-40e1-ae17-2fd4a1307d42.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

Shawangunk Mountains, Ulster County NY ~

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 11.04.34 PM.png

There's a tourist railroad near there that I've wanted to visit. 

55 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Nice...  a place in NY I'd like to visit again is Letchworth State Park and the Gennessee River in Wyoming County, NY (pic below)..  I visited there 20 years ago when I was at a wedding in the Buffalo area.

I was up in Western NY last year to Dunkirk, saw the lighthouse and some beaches...a short drive from Cleveland. Want to go to Chautauqua Lake and Niagara Falls this summer. 

07948c28-65df-40e1-ae17-2fd4a1307d42.jpg

You should come out my way and go to Fallingwater. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You should come out my way and go to Fallingwater. 

I've been wanting to do that for years...maybe this summer.  Been to Pittsburgh many times, but haven't explored the surrounding area much. 

Nothing like a 1971 Buick Estate Wagon, all 227 inches of her with a 455 V8 good for 355HP at 10 mpg. This station wagon as I learned is 3 inches longer than today's Chevrolet Suburban. :P 

image.png

• Agree 4

43 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Buick built & tested a 525 CI V8 for production. Story goes, an engineer loaded it with 5 or 6 Division uppers and the car laid rubber many tens of feet. They decided the 455 was plenty (510 torque!)
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 11.54.41 AM.png

I really love cars of this era.

About 45 seconds in...pretty brutal....looks like a lot of cars got damaged or destroyed on these car hauling rail cars...wonder how the OEMS and insurance companies deal with that...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I really love cars of this era.

See- I mostly look at them as a source of big cube motors. I owned a running '72 Riviera boattail; white, black vinyl half roof, 455, black interior - had been smacked in the rear quarter. It was totally fixable if one got a new quarter... but I was only thinking of putting it's 455/th400 into my '59. I line a '59 coupe next to a '72 Riviera, and I almost can't focus on the '72.

72 Riv.jpg

Edited by balthazar
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

@Drew Dowdell and/or @William Maley, What year did the Cherokee get Apple's CarPlay or does it yet? Or when did they get the latest version of UConnect? I'm looking around for used vehicles and trying to find what else has things I like(that isn't new). 

It has it now with the latest version of uconnect. I think the year it got the facelift would have it. I’d have to look it up. This reminds me that I need to write my review of it.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It has it now with the latest version of uconnect. I think the year it got the facelift would have it. I’d have to look it up. This reminds me that I need to write my review of it.

2019 for the Cherokee, it looks like according to Wikipedia. With the facelift it got UConnect 4 with Apple Car Play and Android Auto.   Looks like the Grand Cherokee got that for 2018. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

See- I mostly look at them as a source of big cube motors. I owned a running '72 Riviera boattail; white, black vinyl half roof, 455, black interior - had been smacked in the rear quarter. It was totally fixable if one got a new quarter... but I was only thinking of putting it's 455/th400 into my '59. I line a '59 coupe next to a '72 Riviera, and I almost can't focus on the '72.

72 Riv.jpg

In a relative sense....yes...50's and 60's iron is better. Compared to the Kia Sedona we had as a rental for our Michigan Debate trip...that Riviera is a Bugatti or a Bentley by comparison.

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So it's not until 2018's then? That's a bummer. 

25 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

2019s. But they've been building them since about July.

Dang,

On another note, have you heard anybody with any Carvana experience? It's a really interesting process but it just seems so odd to order a used car without any pictures of it right up front. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Dang,

On another note, have you heard anybody with any Carvana experience? It's a really interesting process but it just seems so odd to order a used car without any pictures of it right up front. 

Friend of mine got his Cooper through them. He was really happy with the service. Handles the trade and all.

27 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Friend of mine got his Cooper through them. He was really happy with the service. Handles the trade and all.

Yeah I see some things that interest me but the whole process starting without any actual pictures is intimidating to me. Also, their prices seem much better than most anywhere  else so it's hard to believe. Pretty much any vehicle that is priced "too good to be true" is exactly that. 

OK.... so getting a flickering budgetary green light over here at Rancho Balthy, so I headed up the road & was soon sitting in an all black '19 Silverado 1500 LT. And I got a shiny brochure I can lay on the floor on my belly, kick my feet around & read.

The Good ::
• that rear seat 'storage' bulkhead is only attached to the floor with a couple screws & will pop right out. Hopefully there's no sensors for the rear belts, as I would yank the rear seat ASAP.
• The rear of the crew cab is huge- must be about 6" deeper than my '04.
• Most configurations don't have the stupid, space-wasting console / console shifter, thank god.
• Interior is NOT filled with as much soft-touchy-feely materials that have decidedly less durability as I was afraid of. I hate it when car people try & dictate what truck people should have/want.
• Front seat room & comfort is pretty good, IMO.
• I had no issues with exterior visison/site lines (tho the rearview is kinda small), but will be better able to tell on a test drive.
• Dealer can install larger rims; I was wondering of the different diameter tires would be a computer issue. Guess they can reflash.

The Questionable ::
• Bed is deeper than mine & other generations, to the point I would look at the costs to LOWER the truck a few inches.

• The 2nd upper glove box is basically useless because the vertical box's rear 'wall' is the door- I don't have any idea what you'd put in there that wouldn't tumble out. Your only going to use about 20% of it's volume. Should have open down like a drawbridge.
• There's no lower dash cubbies or ashtray. I don't smoke, but I like cubbies.
• I'd love to see Chevy / GMC incorporate a MUCH larger slider rear window. I have to tip my hat- the tundra models where the entire rear window goes down flush is a fantastic idea (maybe the tundra's ONLY good idea, ever).

In this limited exposure, it looks pretty good. Will stop in the GMC dealer soon and see how fingerprinty I can get a few Sierras

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah I see some things that interest me but the whole process starting without any actual pictures is intimidating to me. Also, their prices seem much better than most anywhere  else so it's hard to believe. Pretty much any vehicle that is priced "too good to be true" is exactly that. 

What do you mean no pictures? Most of them that I've seen have pictures. 

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

OK.... so getting a flickering budgetary green light over here at Rancho Balthy, so I headed up the road & was soon sitting in an all black '19 Silverado 1500 LT. And I got a shiny brochure I can lay on the floor on my belly, kick my feet around & read.

Having met you, the mental picture of this is hilarious. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

There's no lower dash cubbies or ashtray. I don't smoke, but I like cubbies.

Cool!  Hey you have your center armrest storage, plus IIRC there is another storage area under the center seat cushion (I will need to double check on that).

GM alone probably had at least that many dealers.  I remember as a kid in 1980 every little town in my area in Ohio had a new car dealer or two it seemed.  Anecdotal, but probably similar across the country.  Today dealers seem to be concentrated in larger locations, corporate owned chains, and auto mall locations close to major cities and freeways. 

Of course, there were a lot more stores period back then, not just more car dealerships.   Doesn't seem that long ago since it's within my lifetime, but nearly 40 years!  

Edited by Robert Hall

19 hours ago, ccap41 said:

After looking at more vehicles some are and some aren't real pictures of the vehicle but this was one that caught my eye. 

Carvana Pic.PNG

Not a fan of not seeing the real picture till after I start the commit process. Nope not gonna happen. Tells me they have things to hide.

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Not a fan of not seeing the real picture till after I start the commit process. Nope not gonna happen. Tells me they have things to hide.

I agree that not seeing it isn't ideal buuuuut they do reassure you that you're not stuck paying for it to see it. There is a $100 refundable down payment to "order" the vehicle. It seems like a very odd and relatively simply process but it's a car and not a toy car and almost seems too simple and easy. 

Here's the link and you can look around the page for yourself. It's interesting. 

https://www.carvana.com/details/1192593

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Most of the ones I've seen have pictures.

Yeah, I didn't realize that after I found this one without. All of their pictures "from afar" look the same as they use the same background for everything so I didn't realize this was an anomaly and not the norm.

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I agree that not seeing it isn't ideal buuuuut they do reassure you that you're not stuck paying for it to see it. There is a $100 refundable down payment to "order" the vehicle. It seems like a very odd and relatively simply process but it's a car and not a toy car and almost seems too simple and easy. 

Here's the link and you can look around the page for yourself. It's interesting. 

https://www.carvana.com/details/1192593

Yeah, I didn't realize that after I found this one without. All of their pictures "from afar" look the same as they use the same background for everything so I didn't realize this was an anomaly and not the norm.

Thanks CCAP41, I looked around. Interesting concept. For the Amazon type buyers, this should work. For me, I like to see it before even putting a dollar down. Very different way of buying, that is for sure.

All these hyper and super cars from Geneva Auto show that are in multi millions don't even excite me anymore.  Yes, they are hyper, super cars that can do incredible things at the incredible prices and will be bought by a few hyper rich that will never drive them in anger.  Most people will not see them even on the street.

At least cars like Corvettes and Porsches while expensive are not that expensive that most people will not be able to buy them, maybe as a second or third owner.   But these Hyper cars will never be accessible to pretty much anyone.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ykX said:

All these hyper and super cars from Geneva Auto show that are in multi millions don't even excite me anymore.  Yes, they are hyper, super cars that can do incredible things at the incredible prices and will be bought by a few hyper rich that will never drive them in anger.  Most people will not see them even on the street. 

They are so boring and predictable...they all look like they were drawn by boys going through puberty or something out of a cheesy sci-fi show.  And they always catch on fire.    Just carbon fiber toys....

27 minutes ago, ykX said:

At least cars like Corvettes and Porsches while expensive are not that expensive that most people will not be able to buy them, maybe as a second or third owner.   But these Hyper cars will never be accessible to pretty much anyone.

Agreed. I much rather a real Porsche any day... in fact, probably an older one.

• Agree 1

It does suck. The whole hyper car thing has lost my interest as well. I give them about a 10 second look and them move on. I'm legitimately more interested in a Camaro/Mustang than almost any hyper car. the first batch of 3(P1, La Ferrari, 918) were epic and pretty cars but they've morphed into street legal(some) race cars without much for interiors and wings and flaps everywhere.. They just don't look good anymore.