Random Thoughts Thread

That's cool...my coworker in Scottsdale that is into camping and off roading goes to that event every year.   He's the Land Cruiser fan, has a restored '70s FJ 40 and an '86 FJ 60 resto mod w/ a GM LS e-rod engine and 6spd automatic. 

51 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Please correct me if I am missing it @balthazar but did not the beginning of the industry do a type of skateboard concept with the frame and the body was just bolted down onto the top of it with everything else either between the frame or under it?

There was little in the way of 'convention' in the early years. Some vehicles with large flywheels did have portions of the power train south of the framerails, but others just had their frames 'riding high' with all the buggy wheels. Here's Henry Ford's 1896 Quadricycle- all is north of the rails here. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 2.19.12 PM.png

I don't think the term 'skateboard' really applies; it's really just 'body on frame'.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 2

reg, that is not rust.  I am no BMW fan by a long shot... but that is corrosion protection material spilling out of the door drain holes.

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Here's Henry Ford's 1896 Ecosport - all is north of the rails here. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 2.19.12 PM.png

Fixed that for ya Balthy

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

reg, that is not rust.  I am no BMW fan by a long shot... but that is corrosion protection material spilling out of the door drain holes.

Fixed that for ya Balthy

ORLY?  so some BMW douche upped for the full package..including rustproofing?

Edited by regfootball
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, regfootball said:

ORLY?  so some BMW douche upped for the full package..including rustproofing?

Well that is a factory situation.  VW slathers a similar stuff on their cars too.

rmx-o-rly_o_1594251.jpg

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Could be...we have salt mines under Lake Erie...road salt is a big thing here. 

So hard on the environment. 

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Oh yeah...and it leads to so many potholes..the streets outside my subdivision are pretty cratered...

May I suggest a Hummer? :P 

37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

He's already got a 4x4 Jeep, he should be fine

I glad I do have a decent amount sidewall w/ the 20 inch tires, but I still dodge the potholes..don't want to foul my alignment...

IMG-1580.JPG

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

He's already got a 4x4 Jeep, he should be fine

True, but you can always use a beater for beaten streets. :P 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I glad I do have a decent amount sidewall w/ the 20 inch wheels, but I still dodge the potholes..don't want to foul my alignment...

Yea, this last winter was harder late in Feb and so we have more than usual and that is with using environmental deicer what ever is in it. At least non of my auto's have become rust buckets. :P 

27 minutes ago, dfelt said:

True, but you can always use a beater for beaten streets. :P 

Yeah, but I never bought into the 'winter beater' idea..I like one reliable vehicle for year round use.  Though my sister has gone the winter beater route sort of with her STS. 

General Motors has applied for a trademark to register “Chevrolet Trailblazer Activ” with the United States Patent Office.

Hmmm... could Chevy be planning to sell a butched-up, off-roady Trax/Trailblazer in the U.S.?  Sounds interesting!

I have such a weird dilemma at hand... I would love a basic, regular cab Silverado WT with chrome bumper/alloy wheel package... OR, a new Trax/Trailblazer, and the idea of a Trailblazer Activ intrigues me... I know... CUV and all that, but darn it, my Jeep is so darn useful on the daily... I am also intrigued by the VW Tarok concept... then AGAIN, I am reading that perhaps for 2020 GM will finally update the Colorado/Canyon...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I have a common dilemma : would love a new truck but don't want the accompanying monthly payment. $500/mnth = suckage.

So true, been without a auto payment for years and yet I suspect once the wife decides on her next auto, we will have one again. Life.

14 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I have such a weird dilemma at hand... I would love a basic, regular cab Silverado WT with chrome bumper/alloy wheel package... OR, a new Trax/Trailblazer, and the idea of a Trailblazer Activ intrigues me... I know... CUV and all that, but darn it, my Jeep is so darn useful on the daily... I am also intrigued by the VW Tarok concept... then AGAIN, I am reading that perhaps for 2020 GM will finally update the Colorado/Canyon...

Wish I could say I have a GM in the future.....Chevy's baby truck is the only one on my radar....

Jeep stole my heart....hello Detroit Built Grand Cherokee and Jeep Gladeator.......

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

So true, been without a auto payment for years and yet I suspect once the wife decides on her next auto, we will have one again. Life.

Went 8 years before my Nox.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

^ #42 won, #73 finished 2nd, #48 finished 5th. Margin of victory : 2 feet.
BTW - Richard Petty was in the same race, but his #43 '57 Olds was out after only 8 laps with engine trouble.
Pole speed was 140.1 MPH, average speed was 135.5. Pretty ferocious for stock-block cars- running 3.75 hrs at 135 MPH.

Only racing I like is factory chassis'd/engined cars. Modern NASCAR 'sticker' cars are boring.

- - - - - 
The quizzically styled & tagged '42 Olds 'B-44'. Olds had regular series nameplates ('98' and '76), but this year all models also had 'B-44' grille badging. I've not found the reasoning for it as of yet.

License plate in ad reads 'NU 4U 4-42'.

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 9.20.55 AM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 4:19 PM, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-04-27 at 10.08.33 PM.png

Is that an armrest I see in the front seat?  The exhaust looks modified.  I had a small metal model of this car when I was a kid.  I remember the sculpting above the wheels wells.  The first Riv may have been better proportioned but the first Toro made a bolder, sleeker statement.

It's amazing how many people will ride your tail when you're on the freeway and have the cruise set at 5 mph above the speed limit AND you're one lane inboard from the fast/left lane.  Is that not fast enough for them?

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

96 Dodge ESX 1.jpeg

Too fastback to retain to police cruiser segment.  Will need some modification.  Front headlamps are too 04-07 GP, one of the few but big styling demerits of the last Grand Prix.

• Toro has the 'Strato Bucket' interior, which had a fold-down armrest. Yes- the exhausts are unquestionably larger than factory. 
• The Dodge ESX may have 'had '04 GP headlights', but the ESX debuted in 1996. For a modern car I do really like the profile/proportioning: 

96 Dodge ESX 2.jpg

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Too fastback to retain to police cruiser segment.  Will need some modification.  Front headlamps are too 04-07 GP, one of the few but big styling demerits of the last Grand Prix.

That was the Intrepid ESX concept from 1996...kind of predicted the general styling of the 2nd gen Intrepid, but sleeker.  I always liked the LH cars, even though they were FWD. I remember seeing this concept in person on the University of Michigan campus back in the day. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That was the Intrepid ESX concept from 1996...kind of predicted the general styling of the 2nd gen Intrepid, but sleeker.  I always liked the LH cars, even though they were FWD. I remember seeing this concept in person on the University of Michigan campus back in the day. 

Right.  I may have even test driven this car (road hum, if I recall) when it was released.  They can work with this and the 1999 concept and bring it forward to 2020 or 2021.  If they plan to keep the law enforcement market, the size and shape of the greenhouse will be critical.