Random Thoughts Thread

12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That front end just looks weird.

I'll be getting my first test car in a number of years tomorrow.  It's a Mazda CX-5 Signature.  Get your questions ready. Palisade will be coming later next month. 

Oooh. and it's the Turbo too. 

I hate Halloween.  Nobody comes around anymore.  That part is good.  However, you can't go to a customer service counter, library, or reception desk without having candy from a plastic orange pumpkin given to you.  I think I've eaten about 15 or 20 candy bar minis by now.  It's hardly health food.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I hate Halloween.  Nobody comes around anymore.  That part is good.  However, you can't go to a customer service counter, library, or reception desk without having candy from a plastic orange pumpkin given to you.  I think I've eaten about 15 or 20 candy bar minis by now.  It's hardly health food.

just say no stephen colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ Down on traditional Cadillac performance, but I still liked these quite a bit.
Would be cool to convert to RWD and drop 600 HP into.
- - - - -

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 8.28.46 PM.png

Looks like those Buick teeth are scrapping the ground.

• Agree 1

On 11/2/2019 at 7:30 PM, ocnblu said:

74645271_2655941447796240_263607513327337472_n.jpg

I voted up for the ad and the comfort of the interior and the ride.

I'd vote down for the fail in exterior design, its alienation of Cadillac and Seville buyers, and the insertion of funky engines in the engine bay (bad 4100 and even worse V8-6-4, IIRC) that made matters worse.

- - - - -

At any rate, what I was going to say is that the extra hour gained on Sunday is still paying dividends.  It has felt great!

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

At any rate, what I was going to say is that the extra hour gained on Sunday is still paying dividends.  It has felt great!

Dude wut... my body clock woke me up an hour before my alarm... I was holding my eyeballs shut as hard as I could to no avail.

What is that Facebook meme?  "Only a white man would cut the bottom off a blanket, sew it to the top and try to tell you you have a longer blanket."

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

*DROOOOOOL*  2021 Silverado 2500HD Z71 Carhartt Edition #OMFGWTFIWANT!  What a MANWICH!

2021-Chevrolet-SilveradoHD-Carhartt-Special-Edition-001.jpg

Ugliest Truck Award, continues to prove why they are 3rd in the market place. Chevrolet has LOST their Design Language to the Borg! 🙄😢

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Ugliest Truck Award, continues to prove why they are 3rd in the market place. Chevrolet has LOST their Design Language to the Borg!

Did you forget your eye doctor appointment, Pops?  It's like a freight train rolling across the plains... unstoppable.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ykX said:

I am going to take my whole family to see it.

Can't wait 😀

I wont see it in the movie theatres, but I will buy the DVD/Blu Ray in about 6 months from now when it comes out.

I just hope its an accurate interpretation of what transpired and not some American "Phoque YEAH!!!" flag waving baloney...

I love Ferrari. Old man Ferrari was an @ssh073.  Shrewd shrewd business man nad even harder personality.  But FoMoCo ran its business the same way. By that time Henry was out of the picture (and we all know Enzo and Henry probably had the same character traits) but FoMoCo was still just as a hard company to do business with also.

I love Ford. I LOVE the Ford GT40 and the legend of it all.  But I dont want the story to be all Ford heroics (with little British recognition) and pure Italian evilness just because Ferrari said no to Ford.

Im sure Ferrari had its reasons for backing down on the deal at the last minute and if one was to ask what was the Italian point of view, Im sure they'd say that American business practises are evil...

Because on this side of the pond...all we hear is how Ferrari phoqued this up and how Ferrari screwed that up and Ford was pissed and Ford got revenge....and Im sure that that version is not all that accurate...

Edited by oldshurst442

Sema 2019 looks to be awesome.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/behind-scenes-sema-2019-photo-gallery/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/sema/sneak-peek-75plus-chevy-engines-at-sema-2019/ar-AAJRKUA?li=BBnb4R5

So many amazing auto's to see.

Slide 1 of 76: 001-SEMA-2019-Chevy-Engine-8-to-1-headers.jpg

This exhaust is a lovely class act of metal work.

001-sema-2019-behind-the-scenes-photo-ga

Seems rat mobiles are in too.

Amazing all the custom big block motor work at the show this year.

Seems failure of a front wheel assembly from hitting something is what caused this amazing womans death at almost 550 mph.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/cause-determined-in-jessi-combs-fatal-speed-record-crash/ar-AAJQHG7?li=BBnbfcL

RIP Jessi Combs ☠️

18 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Why?

He doesn't believe anyone unless he saw it with his own eyes or hear it with his own ears.  He doesn't believe any car or non-car publications either :)

Anyway, from what I have read the story in the movie is pretty close to what really happened with some small deviations to make it a "movie", it is not a documentary after all.

• Like 1

There is always 3 sides to a story.

Im just assuming that the version we always hear about is biased towards America feeling great about herself. 

Example:

The Iran Hostage crisis in 1979.  In some American media, Canada's involvement is almost never mentioned or if mentioned, very subdued to what extent Canada was involved in.  Especially in the movie. 

The movie 42. Jackie Robinson.  

Montreal was just casually mentioned that Jackie could go back to Montreal because some players did not want him there.

But in reality, Brooklyn's triple A team, the Montreal Royals, played a bigger part for Jackie Robinson in being the first black player in the Majors than what American media and movies want to portray.

1 minute ago, ykX said:

He doesn't believe anyone unless he saw it with his own eyes or hear it with his own ears.  He doesn't believe any car or non-car publications either :)

Anyway, from what I have read the story in the movie is pretty close to what really happened with some small deviations to make it a "movie", it is not a documentary after all.

Not a documentary...

Like Hollywood gets history correct...

And yeah...publications are all about advert money...

Road And Track chose a Hyundai as their sports car machine oif the year...over a Corvette mid engine....

yeah...because the Corvette did not advance the performance envelope enough. Especially at 60 000 US dollars...

Enzo Ferrari.

He is all about the racing. We all know that. His passion. Racing.

Ferrari the company. A small company.  FoMoCo.  Big multi national corporation.

We could all safely assume, they discussed the details with the lawyers present. We could also safely assume, that Enzo, all he probably wanted was control of the racing. He probably stated that several times.

Now...at that meeting when it was time to sign. 

We do not know what was written in those contracts, but to have old Man Ferrari just walk out displeased like he was...well...

What was written in those contracts that pissed that old Italian guy off to just walk away?

And we all know as the legendary story goes that Ford Jr. wanted to crush Ferrari in...building muscle cars? 

Nope!

In out doing Ferrari by one-upping them all the time in tree stumping full sized pick-up trucks and SUVs?

Nope!

By beating them in...racing at LeMans...at their own game?

So...was it that Ford's team of lawyers that tried to pull one over Enzo's eyes about which company really controlled the racing projects?

You see...I wanna know what REALLY went down in that meeting and who tried to screw who over...

It happens still today.

The whole Marvel Comics/Disney/Sony debacle with Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland and The MCU universe and the rights to what and bigger sharing in the profits while who finances what and what characters will play in what movies and poor old Stan Lee gets hosed and now he is dead. May he rest in peace!!!

But yeah!!!

America. Phoque Yeah!  That old Italian Guinea WOP. Phoque Him because...well...we Americans NEVER screw ANYBODY over....and well...GT40 and 1-2-3 at LeMans and yeah.  Bald Eagles everywhere!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

One sticking point that was brought up in the book and in other sources over the years was the naming of the proposed merged company.  Ford insisted it would be named Ford-Ferrari and Ferrari wanted it to be Ferrari-Ford and neither would budge.    Apocryphal?  Perhaps.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Small little Ferrari... finding budget room for $570,000,000.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2018/04/15/ferrari-570-million-f1-budget-revealed/#46c043b27fa5

They have a bit more capital to work with today than in olden days.

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

One sticking point that was brought up in the book and in other sources over the years was the naming of the proposed merged company.  Ford insisted it would be named Ford-Ferrari and Ferrari wanted it to be Ferrari-Ford and neither would budge.    Apocryphal?  Perhaps.

Could very well be!

I just want a movie that does not BS me with American flag waving. I could live with some of it in some movies. But Ferrari is just as much Italian pride as Ford is American pride...

And then there is the British in all of this. The Ford GT40 was a British Lola car and both American car guys and British car guys helped it become what it became. 

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I call bullsh!t on anybody saying magazines are biased toward sponsorship. Maybe I'm ignorant but I believe there are too many writers/editors who have enough pride and respect in their work to just write something they don't believe in. 

eh... they clearly have their favorites.  It's obvious when excuses are made for certain brands that are criticisms of others. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

And then there is the British in all of this. The Ford GT40 was a British Lola car and both American car guys and British car guys helped it become what it became. 

Most of the development occurred in the UK, and after Shelby got involved--- two years into the program--- he was flying back and forth from LA to the UK and occasionally to Detroit...weekly..(the facility was in an airport hangar at Heathrow, I believe)...  from the book, IIRC.    

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Small little Ferrari... finding budget room for $570,000,000.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2018/04/15/ferrari-570-million-f1-budget-revealed/#46c043b27fa5

This is today, when Ferrari is peddling all kinds of products from toilet paper to dildos...

Not back in the 1960s, and hence the merger with...Ford. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

eh... they clearly have their favorites.  It's obvious when excuses are made for certain brands that are criticisms of others. 

You're one of the writers/editors as well.

Should we question you based on how they treat you and what they make available to you? 

Nah, I have faith you write honestly. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

You're one of the writers/editors as well.

Should we question you based on how they treat you and what they make available to you? 

Nah, I have faith you write honestly. 

If you think so, you should definitely call me out on it, and @William Maley too.

I'm not saying that all writers do it, but there are some pretty clear biases out there. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you think so, you should definitely call me out on it, and @William Maley too.

I'm not saying that all writers do it, but there are some pretty clear biases out there. 

What is one that is pretty clear, to you? 

I definitely do not see it in you guys, but I'm not the one questioning writers. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What is one that is pretty clear, to you? 

I definitely do not see it in you guys, but I'm not the one questioning writers. 

I've seen it where the Camry is rated better than the Accord.  It's a difference of opinion of course, but the Camry has been having some noticeable "creaks and rattles" issues lately where the Accord is solid as a rock and has better engines. 

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

America. Phoque Yeah!  That old Italian Guinea WOP. Phoque Him because...well...we Americans NEVER screw ANYBODY over....

Bad news; the U.S. hardly has a monopoly on trying to one-up others.

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Seems highly unlikely; would Enzo have been anywhere near so egotistical to think microscopic ferrari would be on the letterhead with Ford??

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Bad news; the U.S. hardly has a monopoly on trying to one-up others.

Not a monopoly, no.

But this is why I do NOT want to see a US flag waving affair regarding this movie. 

I get that its a movie and not a documentary. I get that its Hollywood and the storytelling has to be...um...nice and presentable and watchable....to make...money so it has to please the um...targeted demographic...

But flagrant lies are less than enjoyable to me when its "based on a true story".

Fantasy stories like Captain America this is not. Enzo and Shelby and Ford and all the other real people involved are...in fact real people and the facts should NOT be skewed.  Time lines and the order of when things happened and maybe certain events could eliminated or enhanced...that is good. But flagrant lies. Not so much.  And that is all I ask of the movie. 

No flagrant lies and egregious flag waving...