Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Just recently there was a statistics published that in US more EVs are sold than cars with manual transmission.   It is not a huge indication, but it is a direction market is slowly going

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Now THIS saddens me. 

According to the recent news, there are 48 models in the US for 2019 year that offer manual transmissions. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-manual-transmission-cars

According to Statista, seems they will be around for a bit. https://www.statista.com/statistics/204123/transmission-type-market-share-in-automobile-production-worldwide/

image.png

Sadly while this might give some hope, Toyota has come out and clearly said Manuals are dead. https://www.hotcars.com/manual-transmission-toyota-sales-data/

Their sales data showed 2,800 or just 1% of all corollas sold were with a Manual transmission not justifying the investment. Tacoma and Yaris only 5% were manuals that were sold. Even their Toyota 86 only 33% were manual. The small amount of sales is not justifying the R&D costs and certification costs.

Replacing Manual Transmissions is the Flappy Paddel that gamers have come to enjoy playing race games. Seems the youth of today do not want to row gears, but flap them instead!

This is in comparison to Mazda that shows 76% of Miata's sold are manual here, but drops to single digits for their other autos. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/05/15/mazda-mx5-miata-manual-take-rate/

@dfelt Why would anyone buy a Corolla with manual?  I doubt there were a lot manual Corollas even 10-15 years ago. 

I am surprised though that 86 has only 33% of manual transmission sales.  That really puzzles me, especially considering Miata has so many more manual takers.

Makes sense to have manual in the car that has some soul and spunk, not commuting appliance.

• Agree 3

26 minutes ago, ykX said:

@dfelt Why would anyone buy a Corolla with manual?  I doubt there were a lot manual Corollas even 10-15 years ago. 

I am surprised though that 86 has only 33% of manual transmission sales.  That really puzzles me, especially considering Miata has so many more manual takers.

Makes sense to have manual in the car that has some soul and spunk, not commuting appliance.

In olden days, penny pinchers bought econoboxes w/ manuals because they were usually the cheapest, and got better gas mileage than automatics.    That is odd about the 86, would have thought it would have similar numbers as the Miata. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Take it for the limited info I could quickly dig up, but while Mazda is at the bottom of the list for average age buyers compared to Toyota per Carmax, the two auto's we speak of here are opposite age groups. Miata has a much older age base of buyers that had exposure to manual transmissions. Toyota 86 is a Millennial thing where Flappy Paddles on an Xbox or Play station steering wheel and not exposed to actual manual transmission auto's. This tends to make sense.

image.png

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

One thing I've noticed is that I see more Model-X and S in the wild than I see S-Class... and I like the S-Class, so they catch my eye. 

Misaligned belt moldings and general crappy workmanship catch my eye in a negative way (Tesla hallmarks).

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2019 at 9:03 AM, ocnblu said:

2020 Buick Encore GX data has been added to the GM online order guide, if anyone wants to view it.

CAn you link me? My old link appears to be broken.

On 11/9/2019 at 2:38 PM, balthazar said:

How some EV fans talk about maintenance on IC vehicles :

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 9.00.41 PM.png

Fully capable of 100mph scheduled service too. 

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well, we'll see if this recession is really a thing I guess.  50% employee cuts across the board at work. 

At your work? 🤔

I see Hong Kong is officially in a recession along with Russia, Italy, Greece, Japan, and I could go on but yea, I think the Global economy is taking a pause.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

At your work? 🤔

I see Hong Kong is officially in a recession along with Russia, Italy, Greece, Japan, and I could go on but yea, I think the Global economy is taking a pause.

Yeah.  I'm possibly losing my job by the end of the year.   I've been there 13 years though, so my severance package will be good.  I'm not super worried about it.  Might even take some time off. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, ykX said:

@Drew Dowdell What field do you work in?

I'm an I.T. Project manager specializing in infrastructure projects or mergers and acquisitions..  Basically, I build/upgrade/tear down/move big server projects.

I happen to work in the energy sector right now, but I'm pretty sector agnostic.  My job translates well to any sector.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm an I.T. Project manager specializing in infrastructure projects or mergers and acquisitions..  Basically, I build/upgrade/tear down/move big server projects.

I happen to work in the energy sector right now, but I'm pretty sector agnostic.  My job translates well to any sector.

I have friends in IT (mostly working in financial sector) and I didn't hear about big cuts.

That's great that you can work in almost any field.  I have pretty specialized job, that's why my commute is so long, and if I loose my job, there only few places remaining in my area where I can work. 

7 minutes ago, ykX said:

I have friends in IT (mostly working in financial sector) and I didn't hear about big cuts.

That's great that you can work in almost any field.  I have pretty specialized job, that's why my commute is so long, and if I loose my job, there only few places remaining in my area where I can work. 

In other parts of the world, energy isn't doing so hot right now.  In the US, it's sort of in limbo.  It has nothing to do with I.T..

I imagine financial sector is doing pretty well for the moment. 

What do you do ykX?

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah.  I'm possibly losing my job by the end of the year.   I've been there 13 years though, so my severance package will be good.  I'm not super worried about it.  Might even take some time off. 

Wishing you all the best Drew!

• Like 1

My gig may be up at the end of the year...but it will probably get extended another year.  I do like working remotely and get along great w/ my client of the last 5 years.  My client is working to move away from the software platform I've been developing applications on (they are tired of IBM's byzantine licensing model) and want to move most of development to the Barbados and India teams, but are so inept with managing product rollouts that they will be lucky to migrate off of IBM in a year...  

I've had inquiries from several recruiters about financial and insurance sector software dev jobs here in the Cleveland area, so I'm not too worried, but I do love working from home 100%, esp. weeks like this with heavy snow in the forecast. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thanks all!

Happy belated Birthday Drew! 29 again? 😁

Is that Winter storm hitting you guys out there today?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

For the 12th time.

They're talking about a winter storm, but it's just rain here now.

You're 12?

Wow!  You look so...old.  

Happy Birthday, Drew! 

We got snow. They said storm. So far its just a normal winter snowfall.  But it is the first of the season so I gather lots of accidents...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

For the 12th time.

They're talking about a winter storm, but it's just rain here now.

29 on 12th Anniversary! Nice! 😀

Yeah, the News weatherman says there's a cold snap hitting the Upper Midwest and NE. It was 85 here today haha, actually warmer than normal usually mid to upper 70's by now, but I'll take 80's any day, love it and still only 25 - 30% humidity too. 

• Sad 1

Yeah, it looks like things will get interesting, that is for sure. I’m hoping everyone here will be in good shape and as happy as they can be in a looming recession...

Job wise I’m in pretty good shape now- it’s always nice to know your bosses really need you.. 🙂 Still even dabbing a bit in the old job while my one issue is still at home MIL is freshly divorced, and trying to get back on her feet. Though she might drive us nuts first!!

Forgot who it was here that was all about the Pontiacs, but this story is very cool along with the pictures of all these Pontiac's.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/barn-find-large-collection-of-pontiac-firebirds-uncovered/ar-BBWEPgv?li=BBnb4R5

Slide 1 of 10: Barn Find: Large Collection Of Pontiac Firebirds Uncovered

Including WTF is this as I have never seen this Pontiac.

Slide 10 of 10: Barn Find: Large Collection Of Pontiac Firebirds Uncovered

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Including WTF is this as I have never seen this Pontiac.

Slide 10 of 10: Barn Find: Large Collection Of Pontiac Firebirds Uncovered

That's  a '74 Firebird Formula.   My brother had a dark blue '74 Firebird Formula 400 back in the late 70s with a white and blue interior. 

Here's a '75...much the same, but they moved the turn signals to the grille and went to a wrap around rear window.

maxresdefault-4.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Forgot who it was here that was all about the Pontiacs, but this story is very cool along with the pictures of all these Pontiac's.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic-cars/barn-find-large-collection-of-pontiac-firebirds-uncovered/ar-BBWEPgv?li=BBnb4R5

Slide 1 of 10: Barn Find: Large Collection Of Pontiac Firebirds Uncovered

All 1974s, it seems, as I don't spot any wraparound glass on the back lite.  Big stylistic improvement over the 1970-1973 models.  People instinctively seem to take to canted back front fascias and grilles, especially on sports cars.

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Here's a '75...much the same, but they moved the turn signals to the grille and went to a wrap around rear window.

maxresdefault-4.jpg

In my opinion, this was the best year for Firebird in terms of appearance.  (Never mind that the catalytic converter came onto the scene this year.)  Both the inset turn signals and the wrap around back lite add so much to this car.  In 1976, the inset lamps went away and the grille got honeycomb-ed.  I still prefer the 1975.  As a kid with acne, I'd go to the Pontiac dealership and paw these cars.  And, as you can imagine, there was sometimes a loss leader in inventory with an inline 6 and NO air ... in SoCal, no less.

Sometimes, one has to "just say no" to specials and coupons.

I clipped a handful of Long John Silver coupons on threw them into the console.  At midday, I was hungry and the light bulb went on.  I used one.  I got 2 pieces of fish, 2 sides, and 2 hush puppies.  I then regretted it.  I didn't get sick or anything.  The food was just gross.  I threw out the remaining clipped coupons.  Perhaps that's why 5 years lapse between visits to LJS.

Again, like Nancy Reagan once said, "just say no."  The "Tour de Costco" is almost guaranteed to have a better outcome.

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Sometimes, one has to "just say no" to specials and coupons.

I clipped a handful of Long John Silver coupons on threw them into the console.  At midday, I was hungry and the light bulb went on.  I used one.  I got 2 pieces of fish, 2 sides, and 2 hush puppies.  I then regretted it.  I didn't get sick or anything.  The food was just gross.  I threw out the remaining clipped coupons.  Perhaps that's why 5 years lapse between visits to LJS.

Again, like Nancy Reagan once said, "just say no."  The "Tour de Costco" is almost guaranteed to have a better outcome.

Greasy.  Heavy on the breading.  Light on the meat.  Turrible.

• Haha 1

Haven't eaten at a Long John Silvers in maybe 15 years..pretty bad IIRC.   A random eating experience I do miss, though...I miss having an IKEA nearby...I used to go to the one in Chandler, AZ periodically for lunch or breakfast..  tasty.   Never been a Costco shopper, with Amazon I rarely need big box retailers. 

• Agree 1