Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Or a BP station. Their gasoline nozzles are green.  

Yup, now that you mention it, it appears to be a BP, but in studying the nozzles on that pump, it looks like both nirvana juices are dispensed from there.  I mean, it stands to reason they'll offer the diesel in the SUVs.

That Endeavour is cool too, except for the douche nozzle.

Encore GX on the roll.  While I miss a waterfall grille texture and ventiport hood trim, this CUV looks sharp, imo.  I really like the strong hip line on the quarters, another time-honoured Buick styling trait.  The horizontally themed taillights and wide front end graphics lend an upscale, mature air to it that suddenly makes the original Encore design seem lacking.  The added uniqueness of the Sport Touring ("ST" is a Ford thing!) on this new model is appealing (although I would not get it in white) but the more subdued trims also look good, as seen with the blue one in the vid.  Check out this rolling footage.

As I finished work today. In my parking lot, there was a new Silverado. All black.  Black and blacked-out everything. I must say...it was like that train wreck that @ocnblu  couldnt take his eyes off...I was looking at it for the longest time. 

Image result for all black 2019 silverado"

I do not know if it was a Z51 off road package like the pic above, but it was a 4 door,  it had a high ground clearance. 

I was pondering why is it that I dont like pick-up trucks.  This is why I didnt notice if the Silverado in question was a Z51 because when it comes to pick-up trucks, I simply dont care. I tune out.  Unless its a muscle truck...  454 SS, Syclone and Typhoon, Lightning, Raptor, Ram SRT10, Lil Red Express, etc 

So...I was thinking, why dont I like pick-up trucks? 

Big.  BOF.  V8.  RWD.

I mean, I LOVE big American "land yachts".    Big cruising machines. Especially in convertible form.  ESPECIALLY if muscle car. Impala SS, Galaxie 500 XL.    Bonnevilles, Grand Prixs, Super88s,  El Dorados, Coupe DeVilles, Chrysler 300s, New Yorkers,  Imperials, Continentals...  The list goes on and on. 

I mean, the similarities in today's pick-up trucks as compared to the fabulous American cars of yore are  striking.  The great American car did evolve into what we have as pick-up trucks today.  So, why didnt I evolve as well?

Just a thought that I had today...maybe I start changing my attitude towards fullsized pick-up trucks and SUVs...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Encore GX on the roll.  While I miss a waterfall grille texture and ventiport hood trim, this CUV looks sharp, imo.  I really like the strong hip line on the quarters, another time-honoured Buick styling trait.  The horizontally themed taillights and wide front end graphics lend an upscale, mature air to it that suddenly makes the original Encore design seem lacking.  The added uniqueness of the Sport Touring ("ST" is a Ford thing!) on this new model is appealing (although I would not get it in white) but the more subdued trims also look good, as seen with the blue one in the vid.  Check out this rolling footage.

I agree...it has a more grown up look than the bug eyed one now...granted I like that one too....

• Agree 1

Z51 is a Corvette.  Z71 is a truck but that's OK you're new.  *wink*

Hey that one dude from Chevy at the Los Angeles show presentation, didn't he say they're showing the 2021 Tahoe/Suburban shortly at a special event?  I forget what day he said.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

As I finished work today. In my parking lot, there was a new Silverado. All black.  Black and blacked-out everything. I must say...it was like that train wreck that @ocnblu  couldnt take his eyes off...I was looking at it for the longest time. 

Image result for all black 2019 silverado"

I do not know if it was a Z51 off road package like the pic above, but it was a 4 door,  it had a high ground clearance. 

I was pondering why is it that I dont like pick-up trucks.  This is why I didnt notice if the Silverado in question was a Z51 because when it comes to pick-up trucks, I simply dont care. I tune out.  Unless its a muscle truck...  454 SS, Syclone and Typhoon, Lightning, Raptor, Ram SRT10, Lil Red Express, etc 

So...I was thinking, why dont I like pick-up trucks? 

Big.  BOF.  V8.  RWD.

I mean, I LOVE big American "land yachts".    Big cruising machines. Especially in convertible form.  ESPECIALLY if muscle car. Impala SS, Galaxie 500 XL.    Bonnevilles, Grand Prixs, Super88s,  El Dorados, Coupe DeVilles, Chrysler 300s, New Yorkers,  Imperials, Continentals...  The list goes on and on. 

I mean, the similarities in today's pick-up trucks as compared to the fabulous American cars of yore are  striking.  The great American car did evolve into what we have as pick-up trucks today.  So, why didnt I evolve as well?

Just a thought that I had today...maybe I start changing my attitude towards fullsized pick-up trucks and SUVs...

Ya mean Z71????? 🤔

Never heard of a Z51 unless this is the Canuck model? :P

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Ya mean Z71????? 🤔

Never heard of a Z51 unless this is the Canuck model? :P

Z51 has been a performance package on the Corvette for ages..

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah....Z71.

I had a minor brain fart.  I know Z51 is a Corvette trim. Its just that even if Im changing heart for fullsized pick-up trucks and fullsized SUVs...Id still rather have a Z51.  😛

Either that or old age is kicking in and Im mixing up my numbers with my letters and my cars with my trucks... that would be called, I believe...virility.  

Or is it senility?  🤔

Z51...Z71

Virility...senility.     

Same thing in my own little world.  🧐

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Or is it senility?  🤔

Z51...Z71

Well, they are only 20 units apart..easy mistake.   GM does some odd stuff in how they use w/ alphanumeric trim names and packages...consider ZR1 and ZR2...1 digit different, yet products so different...

Edited by Robert Hall

Well, we're up to 500 pages of random thoughts!

Random thought:  while inconvenient for a big hub city like New York, the Big Apple sure looks like a postcard when blanketed in snow.

Stay safe, all you folks living in areas experiencing adverse weather.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Well, we're up to 500 pages of random thoughts!

Random thought:  while inconvenient for a big hub city like New York, the Big Apple sure looks like a postcard when blanketed in snow.

Stay safe, all you folks living in areas experiencing adverse weather.

Snow covers the grim underneath. :P 

Frozen sunny days here in the West, aka Seattle. Wish it would rain here so we get snow in the mountains to ski. :( 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Dreary gray morning here in the Cleveland burbs...rain, freezing rain and flurries..glad I don't have to commute.

Missing PHX about now? :D 61 right now, 45 this morning. Beautiful! If you say "No" I know you're lying! :roflmao:

• Agree 1

Raining like hell here in the SF Bay Area. 56 deg F.

Well, at least the turbos are making more power. Cool and humid is good. That's like denser air and water injection. Besides, the Pilot Sport 4S is actually pretty good in the rain (surprisingly).

4 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Missing PHX about now? :D 61 right now, 45 this morning. Beautiful! If you say "No" I know you're lying! :roflmao:

I do kind of miss Dec through maybe Feb.   I loathe May through Sept there though...

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I do kind of miss Dec through maybe Feb.   I loathe May through Sept there though...

Nov. through May more like. June through Sept. is triple digits. Even Oct. this year was awesome. Mid to upper 80's. Beaut!!

On 9/9/2019 at 9:16 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

@dwightlooi - I had an off-topic question for you.  

Why couldn't a pushrod engine or even a SOHC engine still have 4 valves per cylinder?

They can. Google GM Duramax 6.6 turbodiesel (L5P) -- that's pushrods, 4-valves and 910 ft-lbs @ 1,600 rpm. Also, most of the Honda Civic engines in the 1990s and 2000s were SOHC 4-valve designs -- Google Honda D16/D17. Even today, the 3.5V6 in the Pilot, Odyssey and (Acura) MDX is a SOHC 4-valve design -- Google Hona J35.

• Thanks 3
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

They can. Google GM Duramax 6.6 turbodiesel (L5P) -- that's pushrods, 4-valves and 910 ft-lbs @ 1,600 rpm. Also, most of the Honda Civic engines in the 1990s and 2000s were SOHC 4-valve designs -- Google Honda D16/D17. Even today, the 3.5V6 in the Pilot, Odyssey and (Acura) MDX is a SOHC 4-valve design -- Google Hona J35.

Cool, thanks!

Seems the April 2020 New York Auto show will be missing two of the biggest German makers, Mercedes-Benz and BMW are going alternative ways to show off their new product launches and reach out to potential customers. 

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-benz-new-york-auto-show/

Detroit, Chicago and now New York MB will not be at, they state that BMW has nixed this upcoming NY auto show too. The only question is the late fall LA auto show, will Mercedes-Benz show up there or not?

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Seems the April 2020 New York Auto show will be missing two of the biggest German makers, Mercedes-Benz and BMW are going alternative ways to show off their new product launches and reach out to potential customers. 

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/mercedes-benz-new-york-auto-show/

Detroit, Chicago and now New York MB will not be at, they state that BMW has nixed this upcoming NY auto show too. The only question is the late fall LA auto show, will Mercedes-Benz show up there or not?

Here the PHX IAS only had the C Class, SL, GLS and a GLC I think that's it, no other CUV's, E or S Class. BMW only had X5, the new X7 and a 3 Series.  And they were basically sharing a section, pretty weird.

Bummed Aston didn't have the new DBX CUV as it's supposed to launch late Spring 2020. They had a DB11 out.

Interesting read on the current state of the global economy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnmauldin/2019/12/03/we-are-on-the-brink-of-the-second-great-depression/ We Could Be Nearing The Second Great Depression - Forbes

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, ykX said:

They have been saying same thing for at least last 1.5 years.  Yet, nothing happened.

I am not saying it will not happen, maybe it will.  However, if it happens, many economists will say we predicted it, while they were wrong many times, before their "professional prediction" really came true.

Yup, shows desperation to the point of wishing economic hardship.  Extremism.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Had a friend over and put the tree up. Happy holidays everyone.

IMG_20191203_194156.jpg

Awesome 3 Amigo's! :metal:

@Drew Dowdell Is that a Trumpet I see in the background? If so, what brand and who plays?

Grew up playing trumpet and piano focused on Jazz all the way till college. Then my daughter took the trumpet and piano over. :)