Random Thoughts Thread

I found this photo you might enjoy.  It was taken in 2013.  The subject is a 1977 vehicle, hence it was 36 years old at that time.

Confidently holding its own on a rural stretch of interstate, this Cutlass Supreme (Brougham) sedan was in damn fine shape, with whitewalls, base wheel covers, and most likely an Olds 350 V8 engine under the hood.  If it was pampered like that, it has seen at least 40 years of motoring by now.

IMG_5297.JPG.41a9f109a184c896da11ed3dabcbfd87.JPG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I found this photo you might enjoy.  It was taken in 2013.  The subject is a 1977 vehicle, hence it was 36 years old at that time.

Confidently holding its own on a rural stretch of interstate, this Cutlass Supreme (Brougham) sedan was in damn fine shape, with whitewalls, base wheel covers, and most likely an Olds 350 V8 engine under the hood.  If it was pampered like that, it has seen at least 40 years of motoring by now.

IMG_5297.JPG.41a9f109a184c896da11ed3dabcbfd87.JPG

Just saw one in that color last week...a lot of classics are out now it seems even with everything going on....

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Just saw one in that color last week...a lot of classics are out now it seems even with everything going on....

Not who can afford a new auto, but who wants to take on payments during this Pandemic when an Old Classic debt free is just fine for rolling along. :D 

• Like 1

Here is one Chrysler performance car I really liked even though it is a sister to the Mitsubishi version. Only 55K miles on it and the current bid price is $12,100 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143606587133

image.png

image.png

Chrysler Conquest TSi.

To me this was a Hot Turbo Muscle car that I liked from the 80's. Course was in college and could barely fit in then, now, forget it. Still a cool car.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Here is one Chrysler performance car I really liked even though it is a sister to the Mitsubishi version. Only 55K miles on it and the current bid price is $12,100 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143606587133

image.png

image.png

Chrysler Conquest TSi.

To me this was a Hot Turbo Muscle car that I liked from the 80's. Course was in college and could barely fit in then, now, forget it. Still a cool car.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Always thought those were cool....must be an 80s thing.. 🙂 

• Agree 2

Aftermarket convertible conversion on the Tesla Model 3.
For $30K, you get this manually-folding top. For another $10K, they'll electrify it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.35 PM.png

HANDS DOWN, the WORST convertible conversion I have ever seen. I struggle to recall a more pointless / less dignified automotive alteration. Makes the Murano convertible look swanky.
All that stupid money and they couldn't even re-engineer the rear door glass to roll all the way down.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Aftermarket convertible conversion on the Tesla Model 3.
For $30K, you get this manually-folding top. For another $10K, they'll electrify it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 11.31.35 PM.png

HANDS DOWN, the WORST convertible conversion I have ever seen. I struggle to recall a more pointless / less dignified automotive alteration. Makes the Murano convertible look swanky.
All that stupid money and they couldn't even re-engineer the rear door glass to roll all the way down.

It looks like they turned it from car to Dustbuster.........

When Datsun was independent, they were infinitely more fun and engaging.  This Franco-Nippon relationship has not panned out well.  I have nothing against Renault, or Nissan, but some things are better left unmixed.  If the Kicks were available in the USA with a stick, it would be much more fun and in line with Datsun heritage.  Now look at the state of them...

Here's a funky little flying wedge from the days of fun, spirited Datsun vehicles:

Classic_1983_Datsun_Pulsar_42k_orig_MILES__1419480353.jpg

• Haha 4

You learn something new every day, so they say.

In reading tidbits about auto care - here, on other forums, and in magazines, I read that it's a good idea to run a tank of the high octane Top Tier fuel (93 octane) every 3,000 miles or so (along with a bottle of fuel system cleaner, though probably not at the exact same time) if your car runs on regular unleaded.

For the first time ever, I put the 93 octane in my car, which runs on regular 87 octane.  Am I supposed to feel a difference?  You tell me.  It seems to run, start, and idle great.   The premium fuel doesn't come by cheap, so I only plan to do this intermittently.

Edited by trinacriabob

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

In reading tidbits about auto care - here, on other forums, and in magazines, I read that it's a good idea to run a tank of the high octane Top Tier fuel (93 octane) every 3,000 miles or so (along with a bottle of fuel system cleaner, though probably not at the exact same time) if your car runs on regular unleaded.

For the first time ever, I put the 93 octane in my car, which runs on regular 87 octane.  Am I supposed to feel a difference?  You tell me.  It seems to run, start, and idle great.   The premium fuel doesn't come by cheap, so I only plan to do this intermittently.

Stick with the fuel system cleaner.  Much cheaper and more effective.  I recommend Lucas fuel system cleaner.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-fuel-treatment

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Octane is required to avoid detonation. If you engine is rated for 87, putting 93 in it won't have a discernible difference. Maybe if you went to 110, you'd notice it, but that likely has other chemical differences which may contribute.
Putting 93 in an 87-rated car is a waste of money from all I've read.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/04/11/tech-101-octane-the-facts-and-the-fiction-behind-those-higher-priced-fuels

Injector cleaner has an actual benefit, tho I still question if it does all that much. I've had a subtle stumble in my truck and put injector cleaner (Lucas) thru every other tank for a long while- to the total tune of 1.5 gal, but it never went away or ran any different/showed a MPG change.

Edited by balthazar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Stick with the fuel system cleaner.  Much cheaper and more effective.  I recommend Lucas fuel system cleaner.

I've done well with Chevron's Techron.  I didn't know about Lucas until they had a stadium named after them!  I know that I have an aversion to the name Seafoam,  based on visualizing sea foam (great at the beach, but for my engine?) and some guys at the parts stores counters seem to love Seafoam.

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Octane is required to avoid detonation. If you engine is rated for 87, putting 93 in it won't have a discernible difference. Maybe if you went to 110, you'd notice it, but that likely has other chemical differences which may contribute. Putting 93 in an 87-rated car is a waste of money from all I've read.

Injector cleaner has an actual benefit, tho I still question if it does all that much. I've had a subtle stumble in my truck and put injector cleaner (Lucas) thru every other tank for a long while- to the total tune of 1.5 gal, but it never went away or ran any different/showed a MPG change.

I will most definitely not be making a habit out of this.  If I plan to continue with this regimen, I'll do it once every 2,500 or 3,000 miles.  The "problem" is that I have a car that hasn't yet been tuned that still idles quietly and runs smoothly.  My perception is that it running slightly better.  If it's $ 1 a gallon more and the tank holds 17 gallons, that's $ 17 I am paying every 3 months for this cheap thrill.  I'm barely into this new full tank with Shell 93 octane.  Let me ride out this tank to see if it keeps feeling different.

7 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I used to run my first car on quite a bit of amoco silver. (89). In the 10 years i owned it it ran and idled great. Something i might need to go back to.

And using only top tier fuel again......

Top tier fuel like Shell and Chevron among others is the only way to go. I never run anything but Top Tier in my vehicles. It does make a difference running a quality fuel and having the detergents to clean as gasoline by itself can carbon up the valves and combustion chamber pretty fast. Not to mention the money you will end up saving on repairs of a gummed up fuel system and filters running cheap gas like Costco or (insert name) grocery store gas station. Makes me cringe every time I see the long line of cars at Costco gas pumps, don't get me wrong I love Costco, but would never pump their gas in my rides.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I used to run my first car on quite a bit of amoco silver. (89). In the 10 years i owned it it ran and idled great. Something i might need to go back to.

And using only top tier fuel again......

Is Amoco like Sunoco? We don't have either over here in the West.

19 hours ago, ocnblu said:

100508705_3509885905706738_4748501218093957120_n.jpg

Hey, I think that's smk's ride!

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Is Amoco like Sunoco? We don't have either over here in the West.

Hey, I think that's smk's ride!

Amoco I think was more of a east coast thing..they were also part of Standard stations, and a few others I know I am missing...

Amaco was bought by BP in 1997, and pretty much got rid of Amaco. Funny part is that they are bringing back the name again....we just got our first few back in Michigan again...

but Yep- like Sunoco , BP/Amoco is top tier and good gas... 🙂 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, USA-1 said:

Top tier fuel like Shell and Chevron among others is the only way to go. I never run anything but Top Tier in my vehicles. It does make a difference running a quality fuel and having the detergents to clean as gasoline by itself can carbon up the valves and combustion chamber pretty fast. Not to mention the money you will end up saving on repairs of a gummed up fuel system and filters running cheap gas like Costco or (insert name) grocery store gas station. Makes me cringe every time I see the long line of cars at Costco gas pumps, don't get me wrong I love Costco, but would never pump their gas in my rides.

33B83A73-CCBA-47EF-A75B-88C82DFB9799.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@balthazar and others

Take note, though, that, for some reason, Sunoco has fallen off the Top Tier list, possibly due to sourcing during the pandemic.  They're supposed to be the fuel endorsed by NASCAR* or some other major automotive event.

* oh yeah, baby, I'm all about NASCAR ... surely I jest ... my 200 hp can get me in trouble if I wanted it to ...

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

'mountain folk' walking into town, Hazard KY 1940 :

HazardKY40 MT folk.png

My folks were in that area then...my Mom was from nearby Hindman and was 9 then, and my Dad was from Prestonsburg and 19..  he would join the Army Air Corps in 1941, then they met after the war.

In present day NE Ohio,

I've been enjoying great weather this weekend...spending time in the backyard and grilling/cooking..grilled some bacon-wrapped filets yesterday, and today made chicken habanero tamales and margaritas.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

Imma gonna do some American pop culture references to Hazzard and Kentucky as only a Greek boy from French territory Canada would know about a certain Hazzard County and the beautiful state of Kentucky.  

Blue Moon of Kentucky keep on shining...

And of course, Hazzard County.  This particular Hazzard  is of course,  fictional...

I do realize that Hazard, KY is spelled with one "z" and is of course, a real place. 

Oh...and I happen to love the tune, Red River Valley.      

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

@oldshurst442

Monsieur du Quebec, j'ai trouve' un YouTube situe' dans ton ville, sur une des rues principales

First, can you understand what those French people talking smack in the background are saying?

I had seen this about a month ago and thought you'd enjoy it.

This is one sweet Cutlass Supreme.  It's obviously been kept shielded from the elements. A few things: 

- it needs its hood ornament back ... it would look better

- it would look better with the alloy wheels instead of the wire wheel covers ... and the optional all aluminum alloys were even nicer than the much used body colored rally wheels

- I'm not crazy about the two-tone paint - they could have thrown on a white landau vinyl top instead ... I remembered this video since we were recently discussing the Seafoam fuel system product ... this might be considered a metallic sea foam green, but Olds called it metallic Jadestone 

- check out at about 2:25 into the video - this car has NO air conditioning and it's the top of the line Brougham!

- I like everything else about it ... I wonder which engine it had ... there would have only been 2 gasoline options that year:  the 3.8 V6 or the small Olds V8

Tres belle ... beautiful!

• Agree 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:32 PM, USA-1 said:

Here you have your facts wrong, Costco is a top tier fuel with detergents. I have found Shell especially runs terrible in my auto's and yet Costco runs great. Never had a problem. Costco keeps their filters clean and has all their certs clearly displayed on their top tier status with detergents. 

There is no reason to pay more money at Shell, Cheveron, Esso, Exxon, etc. The spec's today have really taken away any benefit those gas stations have. 

One place to stay away from is the Krogers, Walmart, etc. discount gas stations where they want you to pay extra for detergent when you pump and clearly have no standards on when they change fuel filters, etc.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Here you have your facts wrong, Costco is a top tier fuel with detergents. I have found Shell especially runs terrible in my auto's and yet Costco runs great. Never had a problem. Costco keeps their filters clean and has all their certs clearly displayed on their top tier status with detergents. 

There is no reason to pay more money at Shell, Cheveron, Esso, Exxon, etc. The spec's today have really taken away any benefit those gas stations have. 

One place to stay away from is the Krogers, Walmart, etc. discount gas stations where they want you to pay extra for detergent when you pump and clearly have no standards on when they change fuel filters, etc.

I get the Kroger fuel points, but rarely use them now.

The Cobalt hates Kroger gas....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I get the Kroger fuel points, but rarely use them now.

The Cobalt hates Kroger gas....

Yup, Kroger owns Fred Meyers out here on the West Coast and their fuel used to be Top Tier, but then Kroger bought them and then first thing they did was replace the pumps with new pumps that have a side panel where you have to pay $14.99 to add detergents and other stuff for your auto that they say keeps the injectors clean and all this marketing BS.

Does not matter that they dropped the price to be even with Costco, they charge for everything that Costco already offers and Costco usually comes in a few pennies cheaper. 

The SS requires premium and as such Costco only offers regular or Premium and their Premium here is about 15 cents cheaper than everyone else and the SS runs like a champ. As such, I let my sisters families use my Kroger/Fred Meyer points to get cheap gas for their auto's which they do no seem to care about unlike me.

Happy Post Memorial Day week everyone! 

I hope this finds everyone healthy and safe. Seattle area is drizzle after a very wet weekend, temps in the mid 50's this day with low 70's and sun by Friday here supposedly.

State is in Phase two of opening up, but with infections still running about 300 new cases a day and deaths at about 10 to 15 a day, I have no desire to be out and about in the mass of Humanity. 

Stay safe and healthy everyone., Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

Give birth in your old Minivan and maybe FCA will give ya a new Plugin Hybrid minivan.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/12/woman-gives-birth-moving-car-video-jimmy-kimmel-chrysler-pacifica/?icid=autoblog|trend|woman-who-gives-birth-on-video-in-moving-car-gets-another-surprise

Amazing that the dad video recorded the birth while driving to the hospital. Scary.

Have to say that this next story is very cool. I like Lulu. Total Aluminum car, very cool build, so many more photo's on the web site. 1,530 lbs of dry weight, 4 banger crate motor from GM for 275 HP / 295 lb-ft of torque. Total cost of build was $35,000. He has Lulu 2 in the works with a new 1,000 lb dry weight powered by a BMW inline 6 motorcycle motor.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/18/lulu-home-built-car-mickey-thompson-indy-harvey-aluminum-special/?icid=autoblog|trend|meet-lulu,-an-all-aluminum,-home-built,-indy-inspired-masterpiece

image.png

image.png

image.png

The last story that has me cracking up is the top 3 luxury auto's that consistently carry the biggest discounts off MSRP pricing. #1 for years has been the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and it has now been replaced by the 2020 Aston Martin DB11, course #2 is still the S-class followed in 3rd place by the Audi A8 sedan. Seems the Germans build luxury auto's with a Heavy discount built in. LOL :roflmao:

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/06/biggest-discount-aston-martin-db11-may-2020/?icid=autoblog|trend|2020-aston-martin-db11-tops-this-month's-list-of-discounts

Hertz filed for bankruptcy.  Under their umbrella are Thrifty, Dollar, and more.  An institution since my childhood.  Now, a casualty of COVID-19.  Sad.

Hey, who can forget this guy ... and this particular commercial was in 1993 ... think of the timing ... the police chase of the Ford Bronco on the 405 wasn't too long after 1993 ...

• Like 1

Seems an AMG version of the New G-Wagon is coming. Interesting that they have gone independent suspension coping what you get on the Hummer H1 as the suspension on the new AMG G-Wagon. No more solid axles for G-Wagon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/26/mercedes-amg-g-class-wagen-4x4-squared-spied/#slide-2235479

Another round of German auto's coping what was created in America and only now is the best luxury SUV? 😆

In other sad lay off news, McLaren is laying of 1,200 employees as the future is not so bright for the super car maker with the Virus going crazy around the world.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/26/mclaren-lays-off-1200-employees-coronavirus/

RIP the almost 350,000 deaths from Covid-19.

image.png

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Sad 2

• 98% of g-wagins don’t go offroad.
• Rental cars- might’ve had 2 in 30 years.

• s-class incentives are no surprise, and they’ve been higher than that dollar amount in the past. Daimler pulls a dieselgate-esque sleight of hand and splits it’s incentives with the dealer to make it look not so bad.

Wonder if they looked at the GT??

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Yup, Kroger owns Fred Meyers out here on the West Coast and their fuel used to be Top Tier, but then Kroger bought them and then first thing they did was replace the pumps with new pumps that have a side panel where you have to pay $14.99 to add detergents and other stuff for your auto that they say keeps the injectors clean and all this marketing BS.

Does not matter that they dropped the price to be even with Costco, they charge for everything that Costco already offers and Costco usually comes in a few pennies cheaper. 

The SS requires premium and as such Costco only offers regular or Premium and their Premium here is about 15 cents cheaper than everyone else and the SS runs like a champ. As such, I let my sisters families use my Kroger/Fred Meyer points to get cheap gas for their auto's which they do no seem to care about unlike me.

Happy Post Memorial Day week everyone! 

I hope this finds everyone healthy and safe. Seattle area is drizzle after a very wet weekend, temps in the mid 50's this day with low 70's and sun by Friday here supposedly.

State is in Phase two of opening up, but with infections still running about 300 new cases a day and deaths at about 10 to 15 a day, I have no desire to be out and about in the mass of Humanity. 

Stay safe and healthy everyone., Wishing you all the best.

Agreed.

My Equiniox has only seen Top Tier ( BP, Mobil) Since I have owned it.  Due to the good buyout and the low miles, I will most likely keep it after the lease is up. Wife is keeping hers for sure..... 🙂

If I have to get Krogers gas, its 93, or 89 if the budget is tight. I won’t even give my 20 year old lawn mower 87 from Kroger.....

I just saw one of those blurbs on the most popular breed of dog, ranked from 1 to 99, based on registrations or something like that, and it goes like this:

1.  Labrador 

2. German Shepherd

3. Golden Retriever

It's not surprising when you think of what dogs you see around.

My three favorite breeds come in at 13, 25, and 29 on the list, respectively:  Australian Shepherd, Border Collie, and Miniature Australian Shepherd.  For these three breeds, you need a good dose of time and energy to keep up with them.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

If I were to buy a crossover, should I get one with a turbo 4cyl (e.g. Equinox, Terrain) or get a V6 (Cadillac XT5)? 

I have heard that turbocharged engines have some issues with lasting a long period of time.  Maybe I am wrong about this.

^ A few years after I got my Duramax in '06, a guy at a gas station said to me :
'That's a turbo-diesel, right?'
"Yep."

'How many miles you have on it?' Then it was about 75K.
'Good luck; around 120K the turbo will likely explode.' he advised.

Now it has 198,500 miles on the same turbo.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I just saw one of those blurbs on the most popular breed of dog, ranked from 1 to 99, based on registrations or something like that, and it goes like this:

1.  Labrador 

2. German Shepherd

3. Golden Retriever

It's not surprising when you think of what dogs you see around.

My three favorite breeds come in at 13, 25, and 29 on the list, respectively:  Australian Shepherd, Border Collie, and Miniature Australian Shepherd.  For these three breeds, you need a good dose of time and energy to keep up with them.

The list has changed over the years, that is for sure.

I grew up around dogs as both my mom and aunt raised show dogs. Lots of cool dogs out there... 🙂 

Our dogs (Lhasa Apso) is at 78

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ A few years after I got my Duramax in '06, a guy at a gas station said to me :
'That's a turbo-diesel, right?'
"Yep."

'How many miles you have on it?' Then it was about 75K.
'Good luck; around 120K the turbo will likely explode.' he advised.

Now it has 198,500 miles on the same turbo.

Yeah, I think turbos in trucks will always do pretty well.. 🙂 

It’s these smaller cars/CUVs that people barely take care of that worry me.  I figure if I care for the turbo’d cars in have picked up in the last 2 years ( Nox 1.5, Trax 1.4) they should go for a while. Heck, I still do the “wait to cool the turbo” even though they are built to handle better abuse now.

But when I helped drop my dad’s Equinox off for an oil change (also a 19) they had a Trax in there waiting almost 16k for a change, and a Malibu almost 15k to get one.

While part hunting for the Cobalt in the boneyards I’ve already seen some 13-15 Fusions and 11-14 Cruzes with blown engines/turbos......

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, I think turbos in trucks will always do pretty well.. 🙂 

It’s these smaller cars/CUVs that people barely take care of that worry me.  I figure if I care for the turbo’d cars in have picked up in the last 2 years ( Nox 1.5, Trax 1.4) they should go for a while. Heck, I still do the “wait to cool the turbo” even though they are built to handle better abuse now.

But when I helped drop my dad’s Equinox off for an oil change (also a 19) they had a Trax in there waiting almost 16k for a change, and a Malibu almost 15k to get one.

While part hunting for the Cobalt in the boneyards I’ve already seen some 13-15 Fusions and 11-14 Cruzes with blown engines/turbos......

This is what concerns me.  How is taking care of a turbocharged GAS engine different from a NA GAS engine?

12 hours ago, riviera74 said:

If I were to buy a crossover, should I get one with a turbo 4cyl (e.g. Equinox, Terrain) or get a V6 (Cadillac XT5)? 

I have heard that turbocharged engines have some issues with lasting a long period of time.  Maybe I am wrong about this.

I do not see a problem with the Turbo engines as long as you follow their scheduled maintenance in the owners book. This is the biggest problem in that many owners ignore basic maintenance with a Turbo engine that can easily eat through the protective elements of the synthetic oil and then with bad habits of stomping on the engine it burns rings or other problems.

Turbo motors have higher maintenance than non turbo motors. I remember my brother inlaw who bought a buick Regal GX with the supercharged motor and he had it blown at 75 or 80 thousand miles and complained that Americans cannot build auto's to last. I asked him if he did the required maintenance on the car as the supercharged motor has specific needs to be done according to the scheduled owner manual and he said no, you just drive the auto and occasionally get the oil changed. 

This is the attitude that many have and why they went with Asian auto's who had basic do nothing NA motors. Yet this same man bought Acura's and thinks they were the world till just recently. He traded his wife's car and his in for a pair of RDX's with Turbo motors. Her RDX has had water leaks and electrical glitches. His has had nothing but problems with the Turbo motor. Less than 15,000 miles and two Turbo's later still having issues. I told him to use the lemon law and have ACURA take them back.

His response was maybe, I will look at Honda as I hear they are good auto's. I cracked up laughing and told him same company, different name. He did not believe me till I proved it to him. Now he is looking at Toyota. Go Figure, Lemmings wanting no responsibility. Pathetic.

3 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

This is what concerns me.  How is taking care of a turbocharged GAS engine different from a NA GAS engine?

Here is some good info for you.

Pro's and Con's of buying a turbo auto.

https://www.samarins.com/check/turbo-car.html

Another review between turbo 4 or NA V6

https://www.autobytel.com/car-ownership/advice/v6-engine-vs-4-cylinder-turbo-engine-which-is-best-133466/

I personally would go NA V6 even though you loose a bit of Torque. I think it is smoother.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I don't think turbo 4 or NA v6 on a CUV would be the deciding factor for me unless all else was equal (never really is unless it is the same car with 2 engine options) then I would likely go NA V6.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, frogger said:

I don't think turbo 4 or NA v6 on a CUV would be the deciding factor for me unless all else was equal (never really is unless it is the same car with 2 engine options) then I would likely go NA V6.

Smoothness of the V6 over the Turbo 4 is very noticeable even though you have a bit less torque, the V6 just drives so much better I think on the Cadillac CUVs which is my experience as having them as loaners for maintenance at the dealer.

Seems France is doing a second round of Auto Company bailouts. After the first initial $5 billion secure loans to keep Renault and other french auto companies alive, France is now moving forward with an $8.8 billion Euro auto industry bailout which not only give additional life to Renault but also many EV auto startups.

Here to keep the auto industry going with production is $3 to $5 thousand dollar incentives to buy an auto. If you go EV you get $6 to $7 thousand dollars towards the purchase of an auto.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/frances-8-billion-euro-auto-industry-bailout-includes-support-for-evs/

Cadillac is going to get killed on this by auto reviewers and by @smk4565.

The first review I have read of the 2020 CT4-V and while the reviewer likes the auto, he clearly points out it is not the ATS-V, but that is OK as a Blackwing is on it's way. Yet he then points out that this is using a Turbo 4 from the Chevrolet Silverado 1500.

Honestly, I understand why Cadillac is doing this, but they are going to get hit for it in the press until the Blackwing arrives and it better kill the old ATS-V.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-cadillac-ct4-4dr-sdn-v-series-preview/

Diesel Gate is alive and well as the German Courts have ruled VW MUST BUY BACK 60,000 Diesel auto's in Germany giving current value of the auto based on Mileage and then crush them. This will add on billions more the the $33 billion VW has paid out worldwide to date.

Diesel is dead.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/26/vw-diesel-buy-back-germany/

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

It’s not going to ‘get killed’. This is standard industry practice now, widespread sharing. In fact- it’s now embraced, except, of course, at GM or Ford. Audi A6 comes with a VW passat engine. Unfortunately for audi, the passat-base is no where near the level of the Silverado. Not that you’ll ever read any “UH-OH” articles focusing on that at Audi.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, riviera74 said:

I Think Dfelt said it best in the links he has above. But  I think some of the biggest is simply not beating the car down, and simply changing the oil often.

My neighbor has a 16 Chevy Trax with the 1.4 turbo. The car is now a bit over 115k. She has not needed to resolve anything but basic service stuff (Fluids, tires, brakes) so far. The car gets an synthetic oil change every 3 months, regardless of mileage. I got to take it for a quick test drive before we got our 20 Trax.  It still runs great with no issues.

If I keep my turbo cars (most likely) I just have to make sure they get extra love....and not abused to keep  them in good running shape....

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It’s not going to ‘get killed’. This is standard industry practice now, widespread sharing. In fact- it’s now embraced, except, of course, at GM or Ford. Audi A6 comes with a VW passat engine. Unfortunately for audi, the passat-base is no where near the level of the Silverado. Not that you’ll ever read any “UH-OH” articles focusing on that at Audi.

I don't see an Audi A6 with a 174hp 2.0T engine that is the only one available in the Passat.  I think the article was stupid to point out the truck engine relationship anyways given how differently tuned they are.

Edited by frogger