Random Thoughts Thread

Interesting editorial on the Pandemic and how it will kill the Sports car.

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/33474/will-the-pandemic-kill-the-sports-car-as-we-know-it

Yup, they predict the death of the Mustang and Camaro as we know it with manual transmission being history. Very interesting read.

This one is also interesting as FCA has shared access to the potential Dodge version of the 1993 Grand Cherokee.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33690/rare-photo-shows-never-made-dodge-version-of-the-1993-jeep-grand-cherokee

image.png

Final bit for those that love off road auto's is this Semi Truck custom ride with 1,100 HP.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/33699/this-1100-hp-off-road-semi-truck-is-perfect-for-minor-errands

image.png

Seems Renault and Nissan have ruled out a merger of the companies but have decided to close plants and build both Companies auto's in the same plant in regions where it makes sense to save money and become more efficient. Renault and Nissan are going with a global EV platform that both companies will use to build and sell global EVs to be more efficient at lower costs than the competition. Interesting read on their direction and future.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-nissan-renault-alliance-costs/renault-and-nissan-rule-out-merger-as-they-unveil-survival-plan-idUSKBN2330T6

23 states have sued the Potus45 administration over the rollback of efficiency standards for auto's.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-autos-emissions/u-s-states-sue-trump-administration-over-fuel-efficiency-rollback-idUSKBN2332UT

To quote the story:

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel called the rule a “gift to the fossil fuel industry” that would harm the state, home to Detroit’s Big Three automakers, because it would reduce automotive-related employment by 4%. She said automakers were afraid of a “mean tweet” from U.S. President Donald Trump.

Seems Ford has a Solution for killing 99.9% of Covid-19 in Police Explorers. There is a new setting that will boost the interior temperature to 133 degrees for 15 min to kill 99.9$ of all virus / bacteria in the auto.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/05/here-comes-the-heat/

In additional auto news, seems Acura has decided to ditch as the story says the McPherson Struts.

Quote:

We’re of course talking about double wishbones, which Acura confirmed will be found up front in the 2021 TLX. If you were worried the TLX would end up as a flashy retread of your basic Honda Accord or the like, breathe easy — the new car rides atop a dedicated platform, with the eradication of the current-generation model’s MacPherson strut setup lending credence to Acura’s promise of the “quickest, best-handling, and most well-appointed sport sedan in Acura history.”

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/05/back-to-the-future-acura-tlx-ditches-the-macphersons/#more-1722464

EY9CRk6VAAA_B5A-610x427.jpg

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Cadillac is going to get killed on this by auto reviewers and by @smk4565.

The first review I have read of the 2020 CT4-V and while the reviewer likes the auto, he clearly points out it is not the ATS-V, but that is OK as a Blackwing is on it's way. Yet he then points out that this is using a Turbo 4 from the Chevrolet Silverado 1500.

Honestly, I understand why Cadillac is doing this, but they are going to get hit for it in the press until the Blackwing arrives and it better kill the old ATS-V.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-cadillac-ct4-4dr-sdn-v-series-preview/

Diesel Gate is alive and well as the German Courts have ruled VW MUST BUY BACK 60,000 Diesel auto's in Germany giving current value of the auto based on Mileage and then crush them. This will add on billions more the the $33 billion VW has paid out worldwide to date.

Diesel is dead.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/26/vw-diesel-buy-back-germany/

CT4’s problem is that the starting price is only $3-4K less than the CT5.  With the 84 month financing GM is doing there isn’t going to be much difference in payment between the two.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:44 PM, trinacriabob said:

@oldshurst442

Monsieur du Quebec, j'ai trouve' un YouTube situe' dans ton ville, sur une des rues principales

First, can you understand what those French people talking smack in the background are saying?

I had seen this about a month ago and thought you'd enjoy it.

This is one sweet Cutlass Supreme.  It's obviously been kept shielded from the elements. A few things: 

- it needs its hood ornament back ... it would look better

- it would look better with the alloy wheels instead of the wire wheel covers ... and the optional all aluminum alloys were even nicer than the much used body colored rally wheels

- I'm not crazy about the two-tone paint - they could have thrown on a white landau vinyl top instead ... I remembered this video since we were recently discussing the Seafoam fuel system product ... this might be considered a metallic sea foam green, but Olds called it metallic Jadestone 

- check out at about 2:25 into the video - this car has NO air conditioning and it's the top of the line Brougham!

- I like everything else about it ... I wonder which engine it had ... there would have only been 2 gasoline options that year:  the 3.8 V6 or the small Olds V8

Tres belle ... beautiful!

Ive seen this video a while ago.  On this site. I dont remember if @NINETY EIGHT REGENCY posted it or If I might have posted this myself.

But yeah.  They arent talking about the Oldsmobile. They are talking about the Cobra beside it. What year it is, etc...

On a side note...

Is anybody else watching movies from the 1980s or 1990s or today even, before  this Covid thing and are astonished on how close we were to each other and are cringing at the lack of social distancing and at the same time wishing this nightmare would end sometime soon?

I know I am and *SIGH*  Im missing the good ole days...  (which was not that very long ago....)  (but it seems like it was an eternity)

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

My father had one; '77-95.  Not quick, fairly marshmellowy, but a workhorse that ate up highway. It's tempting from a sentimental standpoint.

I think it would be a good trip car... my aunt had an 80  many years ago.

I was not a huge fan of these wagons until maybe the last ten years or so. My fave wagons are still the clamshells.....

But I would be more than happy with this one. 🙂 

29 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I think it would be a good trip car... my aunt had an 80  many years ago.

I was not a huge fan of these wagons until maybe the last ten years or so. My fave wagons are still the clamshells.....

But I would be more than happy with this one. 🙂 

I loved this station wagon, one of the last true full size made form the 90's.

image.png

• Agree 1

Studebaker is BACK, BIGGER AND BADDER than Ever!

image.png

I did not know that in 2003 a man actually tried to revive this auto name plate and ended up much like Delorean in prison for a Ponzi scam.

Interesting Read and more pics on this SUV here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33717/the-2003-studebaker-xuv-attempted-to-revive-a-classic-name-with-an-illegal-hummer-clone

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

My daddy had a '79 Impala coupe. 

OK, not a station wagon. But a "downsized" 1977-1990 B-Body family platform nonetheless.   

I bought a 1985 Delta 88 sedan in the mid 1990s...   OK, not a Pontiac Catalina Safari but a "downsized" 1977-1990 B Body family platform nonetheless.  

My favorite B-Body from that generation would be the 1987-1990 Caprice Classic Brougham 

I love the front end. I love the taillights. The roof. The bumpers front and rear are sealed where it meets the body.  I love the sealed headlights.  Very classy car.

Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham LS 1987–90 photos

Pictures of Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham LS 1987–90 (1600x1200)

And then it would be the 1979 Impala and Caprice coupe.

The small wrap-around rear window just melts my heart.

Husker du | Chevrolet caprice, Chevy caprice classic, American ...

• Agree 4

In 1893, this was a post office. The oldest building in the  Place St Henri District in Montreal. 

In the 1960s, it was a caisse pop. A national bank (Quebec) where the bank account owners  own shares in the bank and get end of year dividends. And an insurance company. Life insurance. Theft. Fire. Auto.  And a nice Pontiac in the front.

6-2-bureau-de-poste-place-st-henri-date-20x20-et-corrections-parcours-min.jpg

Today. Its a restaurant. 

The Best Bars and Restaurants in Saint-Henri - Eater Montreal

And across the street. Place St-Henri Subway station

La place Saint-Henri | Photo présentée dans l'article La pla… | Flickr

Edited by oldshurst442

NISSAN NEWS of the DAY!

WOW, Had no Idea that the Frontier Pickup from Nissan was 15 years old with very little updates over that time. 2021 will bring a new Frontier Pickup per this story from The Drive.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33728/the-first-real-look-at-the-2021-nissan-frontier-midsize-pickup-truck

image.png

This video shows it cloaked like the picture above next to the Armada. Seems to have grown in size they say at the story above.

Continuing on the cools Nissan front, seems someone decided the Frontier Pickup needed AWD and More Power so in goes a 1,000 HP GT-R motor into a pickup with AWD for a pickup that Nissan should build now.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33714/dropping-a-1000-hp-gt-r-engine-in-a-nissan-pickup-truck-can-only-lead-to-good-things

image.png

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, the current Frontier has been around for a while..it's so boring I sometimes forget it exists...could get lost in an empty parking lot probably.

Nissan/Infiniti infotainment looks like it belongs in 2012.  I am unsurprised that Nissan would essentially neglect their Frontier when better options abound (especially Colorado/Canyon).

7 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Nissan/Infiniti infotainment looks like it belongs in 2012.  I am unsurprised that Nissan would essentially neglect their Frontier when better options abound (especially Colorado/Canyon).

It's too bad, back in the 70s-80s Datsun then Nissan pickups were neat little trucks and competitive in the market.

2021 Chevrolet Z71 Suburban leaked?

According to The Drive that got the info from The New Tahoe Yukon Forum says the Chevrolet Z71 Suburban is on the configurator at the Chevrolet web site. I could not find it when I went just now, but these are the pics they had from the Forum.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thoughts?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33732/first-2021-chevrolet-suburban-z71-photos-slip-out-in-online-configurator

😭 Girlfriend from hell upset about not being able to park in Garage, Scraps Impala project car while boyfriend is on business trip. Good read if your interested, I agree with him in having her booted out and bringing in the police. You DO NOT touch my auto's! 🤬

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33723/girlfriend-from-hell-sends-mans-1967-chevy-impala-project-to-junkyard-while-hes-traveling

image.png

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

NISSAN NEWS of the DAY!

WOW, Had no Idea that the Frontier Pickup from Nissan was 15 years old with very little updates over that time. 2021 will bring a new Frontier Pickup per this story from The Drive.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33728/the-first-real-look-at-the-2021-nissan-frontier-midsize-pickup-truck

image.png

This video shows it cloaked like the picture above next to the Armada. Seems to have grown in size they say at the story above.

Continuing on the cools Nissan front, seems someone decided the Frontier Pickup needed AWD and More Power so in goes a 1,000 HP GT-R motor into a pickup with AWD for a pickup that Nissan should build now.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/33714/dropping-a-1000-hp-gt-r-engine-in-a-nissan-pickup-truck-can-only-lead-to-good-things

image.png

I like the Frontier...

Amazed after all these years (but shouldn't be I guess) that there are people who didn't have a clue about the Nissan Frontier's story.  Also, the 2021 Suburban Z71 was shown months ago.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ocnblu said:

yeti-coolers-on-sale.jpg

Yeti's Rock, Yes pricey, but OMG, they are the best. Amazing stuff, have various products from them and nothing else seems to match Yeti's ability to keep things hot or cold and give long life to stuff you have in it compared to the Garbage stuff Coleman makes as well as others.
Worth every dollar.

6 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Yeti's prices are Rolls-Royce sky high alright: https://www.yeti.com/en_US/hard-coolers

Worth the price if you have ever used Yeti stuff. I agree it is Rolls-Royce price, but the quality and what they can do for you is amazing compared to most other products out there.

Start with a Yeti Cup and see that 24hrs later you can still have a ton of ice in there and very cold drink. Road trips having a Yeti tumbler filled with ice and your favorite beverage on a drive and still having it cold is awesome.

• Agree 1

On 5/30/2020 at 10:21 PM, dfelt said:

Worth the price if you have ever used Yeti stuff. I agree it is Rolls-Royce price, but the quality and what they can do for you is amazing compared to most other products out there.

Start with a Yeti Cup and see that 24hrs later you can still have a ton of ice in there and very cold drink. Road trips having a Yeti tumbler filled with ice and your favorite beverage on a drive and still having it cold is awesome.

I used to think they were overpriced. Then I got one. 

I have a few different cups, and a few come close- but Yeti still wins every time.....

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Who nurses a drink for 24 hours???
Besides, one has plenty of opportunity when they're pulled over for a half hour every 150 miles to "stretch their legs, eat another sandwich, pee (and get more ice)" while their electric vehicle takes on more kilowatts.

🙄 Good Lord, Who pulls over for breaks from the awesome experience of driving except to refuel. Gotta get to where you want to go when ya drive. Plus Yeti keeps a drink way colder or hot than any other product and yes it is worth it to keep your favorite drink at the right temp for hours. That is the difference of Yeti and everyone else.

FYI Balthazar, just joking on the Good Lord tease comment. :P 

• Haha 2

Haven't done a road trip in a while, but I in the previous reality, I'd stop every 100 miles or so for a bio break.   I'd take a cooler w/ bottles of water.  Stop for coffee at McDonalds or Dunkin in the morning.  

Edited by Robert Hall

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Haven't done a road trip in a while, but I in the previous reality, I'd stop every 100 miles or so for a bio break.   

Being a Roller Coaster Junkie, when the kids were growing up, I would pile them in the auto after school and drive the 18hrs to the parks in California through the night so we were there Saturday morning. Then I would drive back Saturday night getting home Sunday.

Yes I am a crazy road trip person, but loved to live life and was so fun to just get out, drive and stop every 500 miles or so in the Suburban to refill the extra large tank I ordered with it when I bought my 94 GMC Suburban. Course Bio Brakes are always important, so would stop at the I5 rest stops when needed, but not places there for drinks or food, so having an ice chest in the auto and refilling the Yeti just makes it perfect for me. I know not everyone is like me.

Even in this Pandemic, get out and go for a long drive and end up back home. At least your out, see the country side and then come back home to a nice BBQ steak and drinks is my thinking. :D 

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Even in this Pandemic, get out and go for a long drive and end up back home. At least your out, see the country side and then come back home to a nice BBQ steak and drinks is my thinking. :D 

The problem w/ driving anywhere right now are bathrooms..public ones at parks etc are closed.   With the nice weather, I do want to go up the coast to some of my favorite beaches, lighthouses, etc. 

• Agree 1