Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Pictures, of everything, where are they?
Less dinner plates, more construction pics!

OK, here's the hacksaw murderer, with the blood of a thousand PVC pipes still in its teeth.

The new faucet.

Scattered remains of PVC, money wasted.

New drains with nothing but stubs.

And my front landing, showing signs of wham, bam, thank you ma'am construction (circa 1986).  Featuring a (moveable, but heavy) ball of junk concrete.

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

Haha, there was a little fat black toad under that ball of concrete and broken bricks when I rolled it out of the way this morning to get rid of it.  I let him dig himself back in, didn't have the heart to move him.  However, with his home desecrated and the sun's heat rising, either he'll burrow deeper, or be forced to relocate.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Cutlass Supreme, baby, still plying the roads DAILY!

117708913_2781332785524726_6842121976141766540_o.jpg

If it's that trashed outside, it's probably fairly scruffy inside.

That looks like a '79.  Probably a beautiful car in its day. I think I spot the little square emblem on the landau roof indicating it's a Brougham.

• Agree 1

Here are some classics don't fit into the monthly spotting threads ... all of them seen in California.

Here's a Chevy wagon of some sort (year and model unknown) in a rest area along US 101 in the vicinity of Hearst Castle.

KIMG1717.thumb.JPG.37776407efe5a96ee526800b6d69c2d7.JPG

Here's a real treat.  I don't recall if and when I've seen one before.  I kept looking at it in this shopping center parking lot, trying to figure out what is was, and it was an EDSEL!

IMG_9373.JPG.d972fe881759a07a6811b247014e420b.JPG

IMG_9372.JPG.eefd7307a8c7384a544425dde9acbf65.JPG

IMG_9371.JPG.4a9734a40aad06099aaf858bf91891f5.JPG

(rear light panel looks "slightly" old Impala like)

• Agree 4

'57 Chevbo is either a mid-series 210, or a Bel Air.
'59 Edsel indeed has some similarities with the rear of the '58 Chevbo.

Ford was arguably top shelf in design in the '30s- Bob Gregorie was head of styling and he just KNEW how a line should go on a body. Perfect radiuses, too. And Ford still created the High Art that the first gen T-Bird is... but by '57-58, I feel Ford started to stumble. The Edsel above's rear bumper, for example, has little flow with the rear of the body- it's just kind of hanging there. 

Look what General Motors / Pontiac was doing the same year; bumper flows with the rear quarter, including the fender spear, and beautifully with the rear cove. General Motors was swiftly moving into the premier design house in the industry in this period.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.51.18 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

'57 Chevbo is either a mid-series 210, or a Bel Air.
'59 Edsel indeed has some similarities with the rear of the '58 Chevbo.

Look what General Motors / Pontiac was doing the same year; bumper flows with the rear quarter, including the fender spear, and beautifully with the rear cove. General Motors was swiftly moving into the premier design house in the industry in this period.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 1.51.18 PM.png

And Edsel made its own engines?  What powered their cars - cylinders, c.i.?  I don't know anything about them except that Kathleen Turner made a comment about an Edsel in one particular movie.

So sad to see Pontiac shelved.  With few exceptions, always the best styled of BOP + C(h).

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

The '59 Edsel rear kind of reminds me of the '60 Chevy rear end, but more blobular. 

1960-Chevrolet-Impala-Rear-Bumper.jpg

Compared to the rear of the '59 Impala, the '60 (and '58) almost pale. ... few tail lamp assemblies have been that uniquely and oddly styled.

Edited by trinacriabob

7 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

And Edsel made its own engines?  What powered their cars - cylinders, c.i.?  I don't know anything about them except that Kathleen Turner made a comment about an Edsel in one particular movie.

Edsel used Ford (lower series) and Mercury bodies (upper series) in '58, and Ford-based bodies for '59 and '60.   As far as engines, they were FoMoCo V8s of the era.  IIRC, the 'E' in the Ford FE series engine stood for 'Edsel'.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^ They just melt in your mouth.  Best donuts ever. 

We had 3 Krispy Kreme locations about 20 years ago.  We now only have one.  But that location is still rockin'.   For some reason, Montrealers didn't take to them.  

Krispy Kreme is awful, a mouth full of Lard spilled all over. Had one when it was hot and off the production line, thought it was good, went back to have another out of the box a couple hours later as the family was traveling. Tasted and felt like I would imagine when you try to take a bite out of a pile of cisco lard.

Hard pass on donuts. Just do not get the appeal, I imagine for the french they would rather have a croissant than a doughnut. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, David said:

Krispy Kreme is awful, a mouth full of Lard spilled all over. Had one when it was hot and off the production line, thought it was good, went back to have another out of the box a couple hours later as the family was traveling. Tasted and felt like I would imagine when you try to take a bite out of a pile of cisco lard.

Hard pass on donuts. Just do not get the appeal, I imagine for the french they would rather have a croissant than a doughnut. 

I'm part of the way with you on this.

I do not get the appeal of Krispy Kreme at all.  It's their glazing and slickness that I don't like.  I only go during National Donut Day or if someone else really wants to go.  I much prefer Dunkin Donuts because their donuts are "normal" in consistency, frosting, etc.  So are the donuts of some indie shops.

A good croissant does trump a donut, either filled with jam or turned into a small sandwich.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Boy it’s been a hot week.....

around 50 at night and mid 60's during the day, summer has not really shown up except for a 2 week stretch in July.

15 hours ago, balthazar said:

^ They shared chassis', not bodies.
In '58, Edsel's junior series cars used an overbored version of Ford's 352 V8, measuring 361 CI. But the senior Edsels used a proprietary 410 CI V8.

It was '59 that the Edsel got 'corporatized', including offering a I6 from Ford.

I'd assume parts of the bodies were same, probably the same cowl, roof and inner panels, same glass.  And that 410 was of the MEL engine family, as was Mercury's 383, the 430 and later 462 used in Lincolns..

Edited by Robert Hall

Review of the 2020 Corvette and the writer has some valid points, but I have to say it is tiring to read how surprised they are that America can build such a low priced, but fun and exciting sports car. Where did these morons grow up? Europe!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-chevrolet-corvette-2dr-stingray-cpe-review/

5 minutes ago, David said:

Review of the 2020 Corvette and the writer has some valid points, but I have to say it is tiring to read how surprised they are that America can build such a low priced, but fun and exciting sports car. Where did these morons grow up? Europe!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2020-chevrolet-corvette-2dr-stingray-cpe-review/

To be fair, while not surprising that GM can built a great sports car it was always built to a price point which was noticeable, unlike most European sports cars.  Now GM built a great all around sports car but it is loosing money on each one of the them.  I don't expect a Corvette to be priced the way it is now for much longer.

19 minutes ago, ykX said:

To be fair, while not surprising that GM can built a great sports car it was always built to a price point which was noticeable, unlike most European sports cars.  Now GM built a great all around sports car but it is loosing money on each one of the them.  I don't expect a Corvette to be priced the way it is now for much longer.

Can you point to the info that shows GM is loosing money on each and every corvette they make?

2 minutes ago, David said:

Can you point to the info that shows GM is loosing money on each and every corvette they make?

https://www.motor1.com/news/385310/gm-loses-on-base-corvette/#:~:text=A source from GM has,increases in the following years.

"A source from GM has talked to Motor Trend about an interesting revelation; GM will continue to lose money on every all-new Chevrolet Corvette they sell under $80,000. The source also confirmed that the price of the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette would rise by 2021, with rumored additional increases in the following years."

• Thanks 1

Just now, ykX said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/385310/gm-loses-on-base-corvette/#:~:text=A source from GM has,increases in the following years.

"A source from GM has talked to Motor Trend about an interesting revelation; GM will continue to lose money on every all-new Chevrolet Corvette they sell under $80,000. The source also confirmed that the price of the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette would rise by 2021, with rumored additional increases in the following years."

I didn't realize it was $80,000. I thought the number was lower. I knew or heard they were losing money on the lower trimmed ones but $80,000 isn't too low of a trim/package. 

Didn't they just release 2021 pricing and it didn't change at all? I'll have to check that. 

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jul/0708-2021-corvette.html#:~:text=DETROIT — Corvette has always represented,and %2467%2C495 for the convertible. 

"DETROIT — Corvette has always represented iconic American design, performance, technical ingenuity and attainability. The 2021 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray retains carryover pricing – the same as the introductory model – with MSRP starting at $59,995 for the coupe and $67,495 for the convertible. Both models include destination freight charge."

• Thanks 1

No official pricing on the Chevy web site yet, but I think 2020 was delayed due to the covid, hence maybe pricing will stay low for a little longer.  However, that mid-engined platform cost GM a LOT to develop.  It will be long while till they start making profit from it.  I think we will see this platform for a long time being used on different Corvette trims and special models.  

24 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jul/0708-2021-corvette.html#:~:text=DETROIT — Corvette has always represented,and %2467%2C495 for the convertible. 

"DETROIT — Corvette has always represented iconic American design, performance, technical ingenuity and attainability. The 2021 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray retains carryover pricing – the same as the introductory model – with MSRP starting at $59,995 for the coupe and $67,495 for the convertible. Both models include destination freight charge."

@ykX

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd assume parts of the bodies were same, probably the same cowl, roof and inner panels, same glass.  And that 410 was of the MEL engine family, as was Mercury's 383, the 430 and later 462 used in Lincolns..

Some structural sections of it- sure. but that's not a "Ford body".
Regardless of the family, the engine was developed specifically for and only used in the Edsel. That makes it an Edsel V8.
Ford had a 430 CI V8, they could've just used that, but didn't.

410 CI was a big motor- well north of anything General Motors had in their car lines in '58. Cadillac was down at 365 CI.

10 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

If it can carry the space shuttle, then it can carry this

IMG_9716.thumb.JPG.8fad956b1a78daf83136704f60b99bcd.JPG

See those daily in my neck of the woods here in Mountlake Terrace as they take off and then turn right headed west to Japan.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well, today I ripped out old carpet and pried up old tack strips in my living room. Also cleaned out and organized my garage (thanks for all the hard work and help, Mom.) Then hauled it all to the dump very carefully. It is so handy to own a pickup truck! Oh, and I had professional help with my kitchen sink plumbing. Things are shaping up around this joint... still got a lot to do, as homeowners know, there is always a project or plan.

Want to paint the living room and choose new flooring next, too many good choices out there, need to keep to a strict budget.  I am thinking hard floors, so I can plug in the leaf blower and go to town, instead of vacuuming.

Been working on mine as well. Just repainted a room and the kitchen is coming this week.

Going to do a bit more- then I’m done for a while. All monies are to be saved after this, as I see some very hard times coming as the economy falls apart.... 😞 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Less strenuous home improvement project today:  painted the door from garage into the house and added a new lock set.  Didn't feel I needed a deadbolt, so I gave it up and installed a blank plate over the hole.  Turned out nice.  I've had the new lockset for prolly 2 years, decided to use my vacay to actually get things DONE.

IMG_0360.JPG

• Agree 2

@ocnblu You will like this, a story on how after 250,000 miles the Diesel Minivan sold in Europe still rocks.

$600, 250,000 mile, diesel, manual, Chrysler Voyager minivan

https://jalopnik.com/a03318c5-a506-45b6-850f-b7039234dffe 

https://jalopnik.com/the-quirks-that-make-my-european-250-000-mile-diesel-ma-1844719494

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

WTH is the deadbolt so high on the door? Weird.

During the time the house was built, there was a notorious local gang of midget burglars wreaking havoc in Lancaster County.  This was done as a precaution.

• Haha 2