Random Thoughts Thread

46 minutes ago, David said:

Anyone play this game? Did not know video game playing was becoming a seasonal thing. Season 2 is here and online chatter is excited about all the new trucks.

No, I need to do more gaming. 

54 minutes ago, David said:

According to the latest interview with Jeep leadership, Jeep wants to be the Greenest SUV company in the world. As such the plans to go hybrid and EV are being put into place. 

Yet with that said, Jeep is also moving forward with giving Jeep Lovers of all things ICE another monster to desire and enjoy.

Jeep Wrangler 392 which is a 6.4L V8 Monster motor.

image.png

To quote the story:

Jeep EPA combined figures are better than you probably thought.

• For the 2021 Cherokee, depending on engine type and size, 21 to 26.
  • The 2021 Compass, 25.
  • The 2021 Gladiator, 16-24.
  • The 2021 Grand Cherokee, 15-21, with the 5.7-liter V-8 being 17, the 6.4-liter V-8 coming in at 15.
  • The 2021 Renegade, 24-27.
  • And for the 2021 Wrangler, 19-25, the top number being the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37645/jeep-wants-to-become-the-greenest-suv-brand-in-the-world

Eco diesel Oil Change is expensive as hell though, over $200. 

Neat Project but a ton of work, comes with parts car...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/columbus/?hoisted_items=3215106891951034&multi_permalinks=1784888301659079&gid=191281357686456&notif_id=1604608733848813&notif_t=commerce_interesting_product&ref=notif

Image may contain: car, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: car, tree and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people

No photo description available.

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: car

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Known with affection in the V8 Buick world as... "The Beater" :

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 8.43.55 PM.png

I like it.  It was probably something in its heyday.  I think I'm reading GS and 455.  After the Pontiac LeMans/GTO, in those years, the Skylark/GS model was the next nicest.  (Nicer than the Cutlass and the Malibu until the colonnades changed all that.)  I like the setting, with all the trees and the topography.  Looks like some townhomes with drive-under garages up on that hill.  Is this a general purpose photo from the web or do you know roughly where this is?

• Agree 1

Seems Mexico will get a New Captiva from China GM.

Seems this will be a 2022 model as it goes into production and sales summer 2021.

GM is selling it in china right now.

image.png

https://jalopnik.com/mexico-is-getting-a-chevy-crossover-thats-so-much-bette-1845654509

I so can relate to this post by The Rock who is too big to fit in a Porsche EV.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHlusgsFrZ4/

image.png

Tough problem to have when you cannot fit in any sports car that movie producers want to use for you. :roflmao:

image.png

• Agree 1

The other end of the Buick thing....not worth restoring, but sorry tos ee the wagon get crushed. 

Another GM wagon bites the dust....

55 Buick...

As we head into winter, the world down under (and I'm not even referring to Australia) is toward the end of spring and approaching summer.  I couldn't help but think of Punta del Este, Uruguay again.  I found a cool video about it and the lady highlighting its key sites in Spanish has an English translator talking over her.  The English speaker doesn't conflict with the Spanish all that much and you can zero in on what you might have learned in high school or college.  What a place, this Punta del Este.  And she didn't even get to discussing more scenic places that are within short driving distance.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

As we head into winter, the world down under (and I'm not even referring to Australia) is toward the end of spring and approaching summer.  I couldn't help but think of Punta del Este, Uruguay again.  I found a cool video about it and the lady highlighting its key sites in Spanish has an English translator talking over her.  The English speaker doesn't conflict with the Spanish all that much and you can zero in on what you might have learned in high school or college.  What a place, this Punta del Este.  And she didn't even get to discussing more scenic places that are within short driving distance.

South America is the next place outside of the USA I want to visit. 

New Chevy Bolts from sixteen grand in Columbus...

https://www.byerschevy.com/VehicleDetails/new-2020-Chevrolet-Bolt_EV-5dr_Wgn_LT-Grove_City-OH/4635882003#close

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Guy I bought some B-59 pieces from is selling his bucket-seat, A/C Electra 225. Not sure if the non-original interior colors are going to affect the value (probably); he's asking $125K.

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 11.42.57 AM.png

It's gorgeous. 

• Like 1

That reminds me of a house outside Port Washington, Ohio that I've gone past for decades..  only a couple miles from my family farm.    Also reminds me of houses in Milan, Ohio--visited there a couple years ago, neat little town.

8f4ee7738086755ba6bc385824ff3886-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That reminds me of a house outside Port Washington, Ohio that I've gone past for decades..  only a couple miles from my family farm.    Also reminds me of houses in Milan, Ohio--visited there a couple years ago, neat little town.

8f4ee7738086755ba6bc385824ff3886-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

There is a rather epic thread on the restoration on the Old nWoodworking Machines Website. You have to register to see the pics, but it is a rather ambitious project. 

12079049_1056138714421005_22330423177665

The Port Washington house is over 5700 sq ft, 9 bedrooms..sold for $189k in 2017.  Built in 1868. Big old houses like that seem to me like they would be a maintenance nightmare...(not to mention all the steep stairs).

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The Port Washington house is over 5700 sq ft, 9 bedrooms..sold for $189k in 2017.  Built in 1868. Big old houses like that seem to me like they would be a maintenance nightmare...(not to mention all the steep stairs).

The house they are rebuilding is the ultiamte nightmare. Known as haunted (not tht I believe in the paranormal) but last lived in during the year 1954. Before they started you could look from the basement and see stars at night. 

Sadly, similar era house is shut down and used to house bats with open windows in a park near me. And they tore down a spectacular victorian like this to build a new home subdivision just north of me. But the hosue they tore down was pretty rough. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Capitalization. Horse can't type. Needs new horse shoes on front hooves.

@A Horse With No Name @Robert Hall @balthazar The Seattle scene of brick / brick Tudor inspired brick homes is still hot in some regards based on the prices, though the pandemic has cooled the prices a bit.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2324-Boyer-Ave-E-Seattle-WA-98112/49006596_zpid/

image.png

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3606-SW-Admiral-Way-Seattle-WA-98126/49124548_zpid/

image.png

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1905-26th-Ave-E-Seattle-WA-98112/49098271_zpid/

image.png

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5723-25th-Ave-NE-Seattle-WA-98105/49117516_zpid/

image.png

This is to me an overpriced fixer upper that has 6 bed rooms. But while I love a brick home, I would demo it and build new.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6200-Rainier-Ave-S-Seattle-WA-98118/48694116_zpid/

image.png

Here is the 4 bedroom, 3 bath rambler I had in Flower Mound Texas. Had bought it new and built, Amazing how much has changed since 1994.

image.png

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I am thinking of traveling out west next summer if Covid dies down/we get a vaccine that works. 

I have never been to Montana.  Love the photos of Glacier National Park with snow capped peaks and hillsides full of lupine and evergreens. I've been to the Idaho panhandle (Coeur d'Alene) and could have crossed over to Montana easily and should have done it.  However, I have been to Sandpoint, Idaho on my way up to Canada to see Banff and Calgary.  Little did I know at the time that Sandpoint was Sarah Palin's hometown.

A friend of mine's sister lived in Montana for a while.  My friend is Cuban and so is his sister.  Her husband is Anglo and very pale.  They lived in an area of smaller towns.  She would go into small businesses and, in casual conversation, was asked what reservation or tribe she was from!  She is very good at poking fun at herself and thought it was funny.  It is, and so is her telling the stories.

Only about 1 million people live in all of Montana.  Californians got their share of flack when they started to move in.  Some were equity refugees, some were retirees, and a smaller batch were Hollywood types who bought ranches to get away from it all.  Not all the newcomers stay.

• Thanks 1

It's definitely a Boeing 737.  It also looks like this image piggybacks onto a Ryanair livery - they're the "Southwest Airlines of Europe," but there ain't no free 2 bags on Ryanair ... quite the opposite.  I found this photo funny.  Check out the front door, too.

0e3014b1dfb034cbca6f61d8cea86674.jpg

• Agree 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

The other end of the Buick thing....not worth restoring, but sorry tos ee the wagon get crushed. 

Another GM wagon bites the dust....

55 Buick...

Are you trying to torture Balthy? :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

^ There's nothing fantastic in there.

At least the last 3 were parted out about as much as they could be from the looks of it.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Just watched the '65 Riviera one. It's tough; I'm fine with letting something like that, once it's given up all it's viable parts, just rot into eternity, but you can't do that with 500,000,000 vehicles.

Again, I almost bought a 65 Riviera when I bought the 66 Fastback Mustang. Actually looked at two, one was a factory silver one family owneed car and one was a factory black car with a need for a bit of restoration work. Would still like to own one. 

One of my favorite Youtube guys weighs in on the new V8 Wrangler. 

Neat Road Trip.

Whole new definition of getting screwed in a truck deal....

I will be using this recipie to cook the thanksgiving Turkey...

Image may contain: text that says 'I was reading a cookbook from the 80s and stumbled across this gem. oysters gently fold oysters in. Sprinkle lightly mix well, Add with pepper. Bake at 400° until top is browned and bubbly (Don't remove liquid which may come to top.) Bake about 20 minutes. Betty Floyd Parker, Montgomery Council NEW TURKEY DRESSING crushed dry bread 1/2 c. sage uncooked popcorn tsp. salt 1/4 c. onions 5c. broth 1/2 c. celery Mix well; stuff turkey. Cook 5 hours at 300° or until popcorn blows the ass off the turkey. BACON VINEGAR DRESSING Blices bacon, cooked Pepper celery and'

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, balthazar said:

How are you supposed to know if a given automotive consideration is comfortable for you, or has good vision, or you like the sound system, or you can FIT in it, if OEMs move to primarily online sales??

Same way I bought my Avalanche online.  I went and test drove a local one to make sure my memory of what I had matched what I wanted.... basically, I made sure I still wanted one and then went and hunted one down. The one I test drove had been abused even though the mileage was low, that's why I didn't buy that one.

Bought mine online from Carvana and they shipped it to me from Indianapolis in 4 days. 

5 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I'd like a paintjob safe offroading trail to take the Avalanche on. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Same way I bought my Avalanche online.  I went and test drove a local one to make sure my memory of what I had matched what I wanted.... basically, I made sure I still wanted one and then went and hunted one down. The one I test drove had been abused even though the mileage was low, that's why I didn't buy that one.

Bought mine online from Carvana and they shipped it to me from Indianapolis in 4 days. 

I'd like a paintjob safe offroading trail to take the Avalanche on. 

If I find one, I will let you know. Supposedly some really good back roads like that in North crolina, some of them dirt, but supposedly fantastic. 

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

620 new cases today in Allegheny County. We've been over 500 every day since Sunday with the exception of monday when not a lot of tests were processed. Today is the worst day on record. 110 deaths statewide in PA today. We're down to 82 ICU beds left for an area of 1.2 million and occupancy is going up on average of 10 per day, so our ICUs will be at or over capacity before Dec 1. 

UPMC and AHN, our two largest hospital networks, have ordered freezer trucks for the bodies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

620 new cases today in Allegheny County. We've been over 500 every day since Sunday with the exception of monday when not a lot of tests were processed. Today is the worst day on record. 110 deaths statewide in PA today. We're down to 82 ICU beds left for an area of 1.2 million and occupancy is going up on average of 10 per day, so our ICUs will be at or over capacity before Dec 1. 

UPMC and AHN, our two largest hospital networks, have ordered freezer trucks for the bodies. 

The economy is never going to recover until we deal with the virus directly and adress it. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Did a private party own the test Avalanche?

Dealership. However, Carvana allowed me to test drive the Avalanche and do my own inspection on it before I agreed to buy it.  I could back out at any point up to 7 days after signing the papers and taking it home as long as I didn't put more than 1,000 miles on it. I also could have refused delivery at the time of pickup with no penalty to me. 

There is no way all dealerships will move online only, but many will. The profit margin increase for them is too high to not pursue it. 

For people who don't care about cars and just want to point and click on an Altima for $199 a month, online only will work just fine. The only reason I bought the truck I did was because it was the truck it was... but I'm picky like that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2