Jump to content
TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

So dfelt is THANKFUL for this?

 

48 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, I think @dfelt was thanking me for posting the alert. 

Correct, Thanking for posting that link. One can only plan and strategize when one has details and that link is a good one to know. I hope no one is harshly affected by the next downturn, but one is coming and planning, prepping, etc. is a very important part to minimize the affect of a cooling economy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 6:19 AM, ocnblu said:

 

I don't know what to do here.  I assumed that, at any given time in my life, GM would sell sedans, coupes, and pony cars that were relevant to the times and have at least one or two vehicles that matched my taste in a set of wheels.  Things are very different from a decade ago.  It used to be that there were usually 2 to 3 cars that I couldn't decide between.  If only I had that problem today ...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The check engine light for the economy just came on. We've had a volitile market this year to be sure but today a bad signal just showed up that makes today's stock market plunge different from the others in 2018.

The Treasury yield curve inversion has predicted nearly all of the prior economic recessions. It appeared today.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-funds-doubleline-idUSKBN1O3244

Past recessions have come at about 8 to 10 year intervals, looking like rhythmic oscillations if plotted out over the long haul.  "The Great Recession" was largely based on ridiculous home prices and easy money.  Thinking back to 2008 or 2009, I would have never expected Washington Mutual to go under.  I really liked them back in the day.  We have ridiculous home prices again.  However, I think that now we have overpriced equities for entities that are all about stupid premises and nothing substantial.  Also, so big box retail is suffering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Past recessions have come at about 8 to 10 year intervals, looking like rhythmic oscillations if plotted out over the long haul.  "The Great Recession" was largely based on ridiculous home prices and easy money.  Thinking back to 2008 or 2009, I would have never expected Washington Mutual to go under.  I really liked them back in the day.  We have ridiculous home prices again.  However, I think that now we have overpriced equities for entities that are all about stupid premises and nothing substantial.  Also, so big box retail is suffering. 

Corporate Debt at 9 trillion is going to spank a few companies pretty hard.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I don't know what to do here.  I assumed that, at any given time in my life, GM would sell sedans, coupes, and pony cars that were relevant to the times and have at least one or two vehicles that matched my taste in a set of wheels.  Things are very different from a decade ago.  It used to be that there were usually 2 to 3 cars that I couldn't decide between.  If only I had that problem today ...

Other than trucks, there hasn't really been cars I've lusted after that have been made since I've had a driver's license. We're talking a number of decades here.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

If I try my damnedest to be fair, the Chevy Impala went out of production in 1985, returned for 1994-1996, left, only to reappear again in 2004.  It is a real shame about the latest model though, as it is a real beauty... even convincing the (guilty as sin of hating on domestics) "Consumer Reports" magazine to name it as best in class.

It's a good looking car, esp. like the front end compared to other recent Chevys.  Really nice headlight & grille treatment.  Profile is nice also, though I think the wheelbase is too short relative to the length...kind of look 'pinched' front certain angles. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, balthazar said:

Gov't couldn't even help the guy they made the face of the War on Poverty.

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 4.31.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 1.01.23 AM.png

Perfect illustration of the fact that you CANNOT HELP SOMEONE WHO WILL NOT HELP THEMSELVES.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question:  how come Honda uses one AWD system in their Passport that is torque vectoring and can deliver power to one wheel with the best grip... but Chevrolet uses an inferior AWD system on the lesser Blazer AWD trims?  Honda's system similar to Chevy's on the RS and Premiere is standard issue on the cheapest AWD Passport.  What gives?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Question:  how come Honda uses one AWD system in their Passport that is torque vectoring and can deliver power to one wheel with the best grip... but Chevrolet uses an inferior AWD system on the lesser Blazer AWD trims?  Honda's system similar to Chevy's on the RS and Premiere is standard issue on the cheapest AWD Passport.  What gives?

Isn't that the SOP for GM?   Fewer features and cheaper components on lower trim levels?  Make you pay more to get the good stuff..

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember the Chevy Tracker?  It was a tough little hombre.  This could have been a new Tracker if GM had learned from their mistakes with Suzuki and let them engineer their own stuff instead of pushing junkass Daewoos and early Thetas on them.  https://youtu.be/M6OSnp8pfXI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Remember the Chevy Tracker?  It was a tough little hombre.  This could have been a new Tracker if GM had learned from their mistakes with Suzuki and let them engineer their own stuff instead of pushing junkass Daewoos and early Thetas on them.  https://youtu.be/M6OSnp8pfXI

Nicer looking than the Trax and Equinox but not sure it would have the same success as the Suzuki's of 25 years ago with the segment so crowded now.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frogger said:

Nicer looking than the Trax and Equinox but not sure it would have the same success as the Suzuki's of 25 years ago with the segment so crowded now.

 

Totally agree, it is nicer and yet also still blah enough to just fad into the background. I truly wonder if Suzuki was still selling here if this would move enough to be noticeable?

🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It's a good looking car, esp. like the front end compared to other recent Chevys.  Really nice headlight & grille treatment.  Profile is nice also, though I think the wheelbase is too short relative to the length...kind of look 'pinched' front certain angles. 

The ride is perfectly smooth, while being sporty when called upon. I've never seen a fwd vehicle this large be so nimble. It's almost ridiculous. The V6 works, and altho I know it's not, and because I took the stock mufflers off and replaced them with flowmasters I once had on my '11 Camaro RS, the way it moves and sounds, U'd swear it had a V8. It kicks me in my dick the fact that we raised such a new generation that are so wuss and sissified as to not be "car guys and girls. " That would rather drive what are essentially STATION WAGONS.. as their go to choice. Think about the fact that all the efforts put into engineering these great cars we have will go by the wayside, so these weak joystick loving Mutha-f@#kas can" sit up high."

Also.. How cool would it be if GM, as gesture.. Dropped the LGW and AWD in the Impala as an SS for send off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, balthazar said:

Other than trucks, there hasn't really been cars I've lusted after that have been made since I've had a driver's license. We're talking a number of decades here.

I am not in your boat, but the current number is pretty damn small.

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

If I try my damnedest to be fair, the Chevy Impala went out of production in 1985, returned for 1994-1996, left, only to reappear again in 2004.  It is a real shame about the latest model though, as it is a real beauty... even convincing the (guilty as sin of hating on domestics) "Consumer Reports" magazine to name it as best in class.

I have always enjoyed my time with them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I don't know what to do here.  I assumed that, at any given time in my life, GM would sell sedans, coupes, and pony cars that were relevant to the times and have at least one or two vehicles that matched my taste in a set of wheels.  Things are very different from a decade ago.  It used to be that there were usually 2 to 3 cars that I couldn't decide between.  If only I had that problem today ...

I am there and then some. Going to be replacing the Beetle in a year or two because I am driving an insane amount of miles.  IF Honda is still building the Civic SI and Subaru is still building the WRX...no reason to look at a Ford or Chevy.

Both of these guys are spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The ride is perfectly smooth, while being sporty when called upon. I've never seen a fwd vehicle this large be so nimble. It's almost ridiculous. The V6 works, and altho I know it's not, and because I took the stock mufflers off and replaced them with flowmasters I once had on my '11 Camaro RS, the way it moves and sounds, U'd swear it had a V8. It kicks me in my dick the fact that we raised such a new generation that are so wuss and sissified as to not be "car guys and girls. " That would rather drive what are essentially STATION WAGONS.. as their go to choice. Think about the fact that all the efforts put into engineering these great cars we have will go by the wayside, so these weak joystick loving Mutha-f@#kas can" sit up high."

Also.. How cool would it be if GM, as gesture.. Dropped the LGW and AWD in the Impala as an SS for send off? 

Actually, it is worse than that.  It seems that Millennials would rather live in cities and take public transportation instead of driving a car.  If you look at who is buying (or leasing) CUVs, most buyers are past 40 not under 25.

  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Actually, it is worse than that.  It seems that Millennials would rather live in cities and take public transportation instead of driving a car.  If you look at who is buying (or leasing) CUVs, most buyers are past 40 not under 25.

This would exactly be my kids and their friends. Will have long ranging impacts on things like Suburbs and shopping malls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This would exactly be my kids and their friends. Will have long ranging impacts on things like Suburbs and shopping malls.

If I were 25, I'd be living in a major tech city but probably have an SUV.   Closer to 50, I like being in the suburbs with a yard and square footage, though I'd like more garage space.   But I'm never going back to rural.    My Dad loved the farm, I liked it as a kid, but now couldn't take the isolation and lack of nearby amenities.. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This would exactly be my kids and their friends. Will have long ranging impacts on things like Suburbs and shopping malls.

This.. my daughter started off like this.. but when I and her mother basically said "No.. if U wanna go somewhere now, since U're 16+.. its only gonna be school or work" BOOM!!! Just like that.. "Daddy can U take me to get my license?" Now.. she puts miles on that Cruze.. as she did the Equinox she had before. 

FUKK THAT!!! I'm not enabling bullcrap behavior.. thus in essence backtracking progress. Now I gotta get out there and see what are basically Station Wagons and Minivans marring the roads and holding up traffic when Corollas and Priui did just fine pissing me off. UUUUUM the state of the youth of today.. WE SCREWED THEM UP!!! We didn't wan't them to have to deal with the non-hugs and strict knowing of what we did by our parents.. who were parents.. so we became their friends.. and they in turn use us. Honestly.. we are the first parents in generations that in unison scream in a whisper.. "JESUS CHRIST THESE KIDS ARE LAME!" But we do it with a whisper, because if they hear us.. they will run to school touting a book bag in one hand and a AR in the other and shoot up the place because of self-esteem issues. Damn BARNEY the Dinosaur

45647080_10212593284096432_8581451649338310656_o.jpg

  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's pretty funny....for some reason, Mr CtG, I thought you were a Millennial (under 30).  Mistaken..

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Is it how he types and words things? Because I would have assumed that as well... 😬

Yeah, the 'U', etc... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That's pretty funny....for some reason, Mr CtG, I thought you were a Millennial (under 30).  Mistaken..

Naaah.. I'm only immature when it comes to foreign cars and lovers of such 😎. The "U" comes from my luv of Prince music, and the way I speak in type is similar in flow to the way I would speak in casual conversation. This is no English class last I checked 

Edited by Cmicasa the Great
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×