Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

When a group of car folk are together, and the talk turns to perfect body proportions, this is what starts forming in my mind while I'm waiting my turn; short frontal overhang / hood, long rear deck /overhang.
[Altered wheelbase race car has both axle centers moved forward, then I digitally slid the greenhouse forward about a scale foot].

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 3.31.30 PM.png

• Agree 1

Most people are not aware that Braking in your auto could change starting January 1st 2021 when a no copper law goes into effect for California and Washington state in regards to brake pads. As such a R&D storm has been going on to find a suitable replacement.

Copper is toxic to both humans and animals and as such, the west coast had back in 2014 passed laws giving till 2021 to replace it to meet clean water quality standards. This was led by San Francisco that was failing their water quality tests due to the high copper concentrations from brake pad dust.

I had forgotten about this till I came across this updated story here:

How the New Copper Ban Is Affecting High-Performance Car Brakes (thedrive.com)

Yes they focus on high performance auto's as Europe also pushes to ban copper in break pads, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Seems JLR is defending what it sees as a theft of intellectual property by the VW company. To quote the story: The vehicles in question include the Porsche Cayenne; Lamborghini Urus; Audi Q8, Q7, Q5, A6 Allroad and E-Tron; and VW’s Tiguan.

Seems that VW tried to get this dismissed, but the US court system found sufficient evidence to allow the trial to move forward to the court room. JLR says that VW can remove the illegal AWD traction control option systems from their auto's to continue to sell them in the US. Who knew that the ability to select Snow, Mud, Rain, Sand, etc. modes in an SUV was patented to just one company.

Jaguar Land Rover Sues to Ban VW Group's SUV Imports to America (thedrive.com)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

This is awesome, always like it when they point out their own errors or false stuff that gearheads know would not be possible, but it does play for a good laugh.

• Agree 3

GM attempted during bankruptcy to thin their low volume small Cadillac dealerships by offering $100,000 to walk away from being a dealership. No one really took them up on the offer. Today GM is offering 880 small / low volume dealerships anywhere from $300,000 to $500,000 to dealerships that are not willing to join them in moving the Cadillac brand to an all EV product line, service EVs and offer charging as well as remodel to the grand new vision that GM has for Cadillac.

Since there is room to negotiate the amount paid, it would seem that many of these small dealerships that move a few Cadillacs a month might actually take GM up on their offer to pocket up to half a million dollars and stop being a Cadillac dealership. A solid way to step away from the EV plan for those wary of the future and investment it will require.

Original story was here: EV-wary dealers offered upward of $500,000 to drop Cadillac (autonews.com) (SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED)

Free read here: GM offers to pay dealers to drop Cadillac brand in switch to EVs | Autoblog 

Takata, the AIRBAG company that made faulty cheap airbags and keeps giving has ended up in another massive auto recall.

GM will recall nearly 6 million 2007 to 2014 trucks to replace 100 million airbag inflators at an estimated cost of $1.2 Billion dollars. Full size Trucks and SUVs are being covered here. Unlike Honda, Ford and BMW that had deaths associated to the fatal hardware, GM has not had a single case to date, but the NHTSA is not taking any chance on additional American Deaths and issued this morning a mandatory recall to replace the parts.

GM Recalling Nearly 6 Million Vehicles Over Eternal Takata Scandal (thetruthaboutcars.com)

• Agree 1

While I love to travel, I have to say, this video makes me think twice about visiting eastern European countries. Talk about using up a life or two of his 9 lives.

A very Cool Restoration video.

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, balthazar said:

As stated before [and re-verified here] - the Bolt sells VERY well for a BEV; #4 in the U.S. in 2019 at 16,418 units. Model 3 is an anomaly at 159K units, #2 prius prime was 23,630, #3 model x was 19,225. #5; Model S- 14,100. I don't think that's bad at all.

But if we don't highlight the propulsion, and look at the Bolt vs. same-class vehicle types, then no; 16K units isn't great. Would a kia soul be in that class (31,621 U.S. sales)?

Prius Prime is a plug-in hybrid... not a BEV. 

• Agree 1

Talk about a Face only a Mother Could Love. The first review of the all new 2021 BMW M440i coupe and the car is just UGLY IMHO. No Style, Nothing exciting to look at, almost makes one want to puke.

2021 BMW M440i is one long-faced coupe - Roadshow (cnet.com)

image.png

If ya love Baja racing, then the Bronco R model that raced and finished, but still after two years did not win is cool. Truly pushing the boundaries of racing rigs.

image.png

Ford Bronco R redeems itself, finishes the 2020 Baja 1000 - Roadshow (cnet.com)

• Agree 1

Car options in a year will be reduced by one less option. VW has decided to kill the Passat as it is being replaced by the ID.4 EV CUV. Seems VW believes the market is dying for cars as everyone wants trucks or SUV/CUVs.

Volkswagen Passat Receives Date of Execution; VW Shifts Production Power Away From Lame Sedan (thetruthaboutcars.com)

Poor BMW ICE, getting sat on by a Porsche EV.

Porsche Taycan Driveway Crash Is Everything Wrong With High-Power Electric Cars (jalopnik.com)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, David said:

Talk about a Face only a Mother Could Love. The first review of the all new 2021 BMW M440i coupe and the car is just UGLY IMHO. No Style, Nothing exciting to look at, almost makes one want to puke.

2021 BMW M440i is one long-faced coupe - Roadshow (cnet.com)

image.png

If ya love Baja racing, then the Bronco R model that raced and finished, but still after two years did not win is cool. Truly pushing the boundaries of racing rigs.

image.png

Ford Bronco R redeems itself, finishes the 2020 Baja 1000 - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Love the Bronco, agree on the BMW. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Awesomest thing in the world is if 880 dealers accept the offer.

Right, so Cadillac can go bankrupt and sell zero cars. Try again , Clyde. 

8 hours ago, David said:

Car options in a year will be reduced by one less option. VW has decided to kill the Passat as it is being replaced by the ID.4 EV CUV. Seems VW believes the market is dying for cars as everyone wants trucks or SUV/CUVs.

Volkswagen Passat Receives Date of Execution; VW Shifts Production Power Away From Lame Sedan (thetruthaboutcars.com)

Poor BMW ICE, getting sat on by a Porsche EV.

Porsche Taycan Driveway Crash Is Everything Wrong With High-Power Electric Cars (jalopnik.com)

They are right about the market dying for cars. One of the many reasons I did not get a GTI/GLI and got a truck instead with my last vehicle purchase. 

On 11/20/2020 at 10:01 PM, ocnblu said:

126936078_10217199519532251_437363398747675248_o.jpg

I absolutely love this. Would so totally rock it. 

Global warming it would see has reached a tipping point...and not a good one. 

• Agree 1

I know I post lots of videos, but if you watch none of the rest..w.atch this. This channel went through 3 Land Rover defenders in the first 200 miles of driving. And no, none of them were destroyed in accidents. 

One reason Land Rover, BMW, and the like will never get a dime of my money. 

But the video is funny. 

More good jeep content...

I love this channel. 

More Jeep content. 

• Agree 1

Heck yes on the thunder chicken...had a guy I knew get a new one back in 74 or so....neat car....remember being a young boy and listening to that thing roll up in the driveway 

Last post for a bit, Have a fetish for VW campers. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

$50 grand and steel 'spare rim' wheels. Land Rover = junk.

Kind of an anti-bling move.

I did discover yesterday on FB that apparently Escalades ordered w/ 22s are shipped w/ these plain wheels---kinda of an anti-bling look also.

126477838_10222969649091638_5151442035628050953_o.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, balthazar said:

$50 grand and steel 'spare rim' wheels. Land Rover = junk.

Yeah, and the one in the video needed a replacement motor b efore it hit 200 miles,  definitely not something you would spend actual money on. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Awesomest thing in the world is if 880 dealers accept the offer.

So it the “awesomest” thing if 880 dealerships shut down and thousands of people lose their jobs (and most won’t even get a piece of that $500k for each dealership)? All because of your disdain for EVs? You’re a special kind of Jack up aren’t you? Where is that American jobs first policy you have advocated over the last five years or so?

For the record, I figured you were probably making a joke about it but at the same time, you probably actually want that to happen. Make sure you repay that though to any nearby Caddy dealers that may close their doors. Maybe you can hire the body guys that will get laid off as a result. 

29 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Why do you hate choice?

Because it frightens him. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ford offers them as well on the Bronco Sport. 

I believe they're actually aluminum though. 

Bronco Sport Steel Wheels.jpg

Regular Bronco has some also, I like these..seems they come in black on the Black Diamond trim.

5f0e18c0aee6a80e715f20b7.jpeg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Why do you hate choice?

I prefer choice, myself. 

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Regular Bronco has some also, I like these..seems they come in black on the Black Diamond trim.

5f0e18c0aee6a80e715f20b7.jpeg

The two door version of this is what I would like as a driveway mate of my Ranger. 

15 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Ford offers them as well on the Bronco Sport. 

I believe they're actually aluminum though. 

Bronco Sport Steel Wheels.jpg

I love that light grey. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The steelies on the Defender look KICK-@SS!

Defender Steelies.jpg

Defender Steelies2.jpg

They do, and I would love to buy one used. But you apparently need a NASA-esque budget to keep one running. Love the blue and white one on the bottom. 

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I prefer choice, myself. 

The two door version of this is what I would like as a driveway mate of my Ranger. 

I love that light grey. 

I think I'd probably really enjoy a 2dr Bronco.   If I could get one in brown w/ a tan interior that would be ideal.  

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The steelies on the Defender look KICK-@SS!

Defender Steelies.jpg

Defender Steelies2.jpg

REALLY like those wheels on that.  My best friend has a Jeep Liberty and loves it.  He's not really sure what he wants to go to next and he's kinda defaulting to a Wrangler, but I've been raising the idea of a Defender to him for a few years from now when they've worked the bugs out. 

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

REALLY like those wheels on that.  My best friend has a Jeep Liberty and loves it.  He's not really sure what he wants to go to next and he's kinda defaulting to a Wrangler, but I've been raising the idea of a Defender to him for a few years from now when they've worked the bugs out. 

Lot of bugs to work out of that.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

So it's the “awesomest” thing if 880 dealerships shut down and thousands of people lose their jobs (and most won’t even get a piece of that $500k for each dealership)? All because of your disdain for EVs? You’re a special kind of jacked up aren’t you? Where is that American jobs first policy you have advocated over the last five years or so? 

For the record, I figured you were probably making a joke about it but at the same time, you probably actually want that to happen. Make sure you relay that thought to any nearby Caddy dealers that may close their doors. Maybe you can hire the body shop guys that will get laid off as a result. 

Edited in bold above because I posted that before I finished my first cup of coffee, which is a blatant policy violation in my house. The manager wants to see me later today as a result. Sorry folks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

His Jeep has been remarkably good to him. 96k miles and just general wear and tear items plus one water pump which I taught him how to replace a couple weeks ago. 

IMG_3074.JPEG

It's not the Jeep we worry about. Rather, it's the Land Rover.

44 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I can't seem to figure out how to configure the Defender with those wheels

I was getting ready to try it at break. I think you need a really base model. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

You do need to go with Base on everything and this is the wheel choice. 

Interesting how Rural and red areas are much more highly represented per capita when it comes to Covid....map is from national Geographic. 

map-2020-10-pc1.svg

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yeah I know.. I was pointing out the difference. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, David said:

I have never been a fan of steel or aluminum steel rims. To me it just looks cheap and as if they forgot to finish the look of the auto. Hard Pass on steel rims.

No, actually I think they can look fine. and for a vehicle that is going to see construction sites, off road use, or b e driven in the third world-outside of roads that are good like what we ahve in North america....Steel wheels can be bent back into shape by a mechanic in Guatamala with a second grade education, just like they can be bent back into shape by a rural Amish blacksmith with an 8th grade education, or replaced cheaply if you live in a place like Detroit and bend one on a pothole. 

Actually love the Bronco look with steel wheels. 

Big wheel and tire combos are over rated. I even prefer the look of wranglers on 33's rather than 37's. 

I am slomost to the point that I just like black wheels the best on any vehicle. If I ahd money, I would swap out the alloy silver wheels on my ranger for black ones. 

43 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Always had steeliness on my cars it seems... I can live with them with the right type of tire....

Back to some more work on the house...might be a buy winter!

In case I don’t post much this weekend, have a safe and great Thanksgiving!!

thanksgiving laughing GIF by Chris Timmons

Happy Thanksgiving. 

• Thanks 2

XMA Header Image

Perfect examnple of a basic steelo wheel looking good. Looks purpsoeful and appropriate. 

This still looks good, but the black steel still looks bettter for an off road vehicle, IMHO. 

KMC Machete Beadlocks on 37s - Mojito JL Rubicon Build : Wrangler

What I was saying about black wheels...

2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited Mojave Sand

This is just lindless bling...

Wrangler Is King: Custom Builds Of The Off-Road Icon | GearJunkie

And this is a huge no. 

Wrangler Is King: Custom Builds Of The Off-Road Icon | GearJunkie