Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Randomness on a snowy day---whilst eating lunch, I was reading the local police blotter and their was a description of an incident at a local hotel parking lot that said 'shits were fired'...  I had a mental image of hooligans flinging poo in a parking lot..

Stranger things have happened...

Ranger doing it's thing....not mine...

Image may contain: tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: car, tree, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: night, car and outdoor

New Zealand

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor, nature and water

Pontiac Ventura bubble top. 

Image may contain: car and outdoor

The class struggle is real....

• Agree 2

B-17 Wee Willy after being hit....

Image may contain: sky and cloud

Plane had 128 missions under her belt when she got hit...

Scale model of USS Louisiana...

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor

Cadillac!

Image may contain: car, house and outdoor

Cadillac, once more...

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The class struggle is real....

I saw that Range Rover pic posted in a FB Jeep group today, thought it was funny since most of that generation of RR are probably off the road now w/ engine failure...the 00s RRs were notoriously unreliable...

• Agree 2

Lincoln...

Image may contain: car, tree, night and outdoor

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I saw that Range Rover pic posted in a FB Jeep group today, thought it was funny since most of that generation of RR are probably off the road now w/ engine failure...the 00s RRs were notoriously unreliable...

Yeah....nothing LR seems to run worth a shit once it is a few years old. 

Packard RV...

Look at the plate on the Mustang. 

Image may contain: car

• Agree 2

On 12/13/2020 at 1:24 PM, David said:

Sounds like a Good Avalanche road trip! :D 

My ski slope is only 90 minutes from me. We’re getting blasted with snow today. 8 to 10 inches total expected here in the city. More out at 7 Springs.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

@David, just like we were talking about the other day, EGO just dropped information on a battery powered zero turn. The best part about it, imo, the batteries can also be used in the hand tools! It holds up to 6 batteries, comes with 4. 

https://egopowerplus.com/worththewait

1379817174_EGOZeroTurn.thumb.jpg.907ca14d373f3ade91994abbdeec87f9.jpg

It takes 6 batteries? I hope you can just plug the mower in to charge instead of having to have a rack of chargers 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Would love a Charger, but they like to steal them around here... 😞 

Just got the notice of 1 year left on the lease of my Equinox. Besides the annoying stop/start, it has been a great little CUV. Still quite low in the mileage though! I’m thinking of buying it after the lease anyways for two reasons: 1- the buyout is pretty low, thanks to an extra discount, and being a lower trim level (LS) 2- I have a 12 year old who will be driving not too far down the road, and it won’t hurt to have an extra car around to drive. Who knows, maybe it ends up as his car.... 🙂 

Yikes about the Charger.  I guess a person can look at wherever they live and see the list of which cars in their area are likely to be stolen.  How sad that this could guide someone's purchasing decision to some extent. 

I'm guessing mid-80s Cutlass Supreme coupes are no longer on that list.  LOL.  They certainly were at one time.

Twelve year old kid?  How time flies.  Unbelievable.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Yikes about the Charger.  I guess a person can look at wherever they live and see the list of which cars in their area are likely to be stolen.  How sad that this could guide someone's purchasing decision to some extent. 

I'm guessing mid-80s Cutlass Supreme coupes are no longer on that list.  LOL.  They certainly were at one time.

Twelve year old kid?  How time flies.  Unbelievable.

Honda Civics and Accords were among the most stolen vehicles for years because they were easier to chop up and sell the parts.  Sadly, I am not surprised that some people insist on stealing a speedy car.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It takes 6 batteries? I hope you can just plug the mower in to charge instead of having to have a rack of chargers 

Yes, but unlike some other electric mowers, these batteries can come out and be used for their other tools. 

Yes, the mower itself can be plugged in so you don't have to take them all out to charge. 

• Agree 4

17 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The whole thread was super helpful. My gas powered snow blower bit the dust years ago and I’ve just been shoveling manually since then. With the first 8” of snow on the ground here for the season, I said Eff this. I dug myself a path out, put the Avalanche in 4 low, and crawled to Lowe’s. I picked up the EGO snow blower.

I also ended up ordering snow tires for the truck because I’m still rolling on the OEs and they are dry rotted. Even with tread they are awful in the white stuff. So now Gus will be getting new Blizzaks on Dec 27th.

How do you like it so far, is it powerful enough?

I was considering getting it but they were forecasting warmer than usual winter here ( so far doesn't look that way) and the last two winters we  basically didn't see any snow here in NJ so I was reluctant to spend money on it.

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, ykX said:

How do you like it so far, is it powerful enough?

I was considering getting it but they were forecasting warmer than usual winter here ( so far doesn't look that way) and the last two winters we  basically didn't see any snow here in NJ so I was reluctant to spend money on it.

Would like to know myself, as I love my EGO mower. 

I am probably the only dude on the planet into Vitnage Alfas and mud trucks....but the Dodge at about the 4 minute mark just does it for me. 

Older square body Chevy's just getting it on at about the 1:10 mark just does it for me also. 

• Haha 1

...and they say cars don't have souls....

Image may contain: text that says 'Catholic converter $350 S 3Awards The power of Chrysler compels you'

I have a hair clipper, will travel...New meaning for the term "Doggy Style..."

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Brenda' Needs a Beaver Barbery നΜ VAS written_by Bimisi Tayanita illustrateb-by Sumguyen Bangladesh One of the most questionable children's books'

Slightly Political....

Image may contain: 2 people, text that says '"Sir, it has begun. They've donned their gay apparel."'

• Haha 3

Interesting take on the vaccine....

I am glad to see poerformance development work on the newer Ford Motor...

https://www.motor1.com/news/460285/twin-turbo-ford-godzilla-makes-horsepower/?fbclid=IwAR1kAabhzt-2CLWklA2Sv2yC7v9K1cikRf0Sk991P6zp6qF053ZaP9Kc-aI

I was on a conference call this morning--my client's CEO was doing a 'fireside chat' (literally at his house in Provo by the fireplace), and he was talking about how people would still be working mostly from home at least into Spring (they have a new office in Scottsdale but maybe 5-10% of the staff go in regularly), and someone asked if next year people would have to have the covid vaccine to work in the office...CEO said they are talking w/ their lawyers about whether they can make that a requirement, what with 'some people don't believe in vaccines' etc...  

Sounds like it's going to be an interesting year.

Been talking to recruiters about some gigs here locally, since it seems after 6 1/2 years my current gig is winding down...

• Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I was on a conference call this morning--my client's CEO was doing a 'fireside chat' (literally at his house in Provo by the fireplace), and he was talking about how people would still be working mostly from home at least into Spring (they have a new office in Scottsdale but maybe 5-10% of the staff go in regularly), and someone asked if next year people would have to have the covid vaccine to work in the office...CEO said they are talking w/ their lawyers about whether they can make that a requirement, what with 'some people don't believe in vaccines' etc...  

Sounds like it's going to be an interesting year.

Been talking to recruiters about some gigs here locally, since it seems after 6 1/2 years my current gig is winding down...

Good luck on the job front. 

GTO driver looses it...

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yes, but unlike some other electric mowers, these batteries can come out and be used for their other tools. 

Yes, the mower itself can be plugged in so you don't have to take them all out to charge. 

Very cool simple charger to plug into the EGO riding lawn mower.

POWER+ Z6 Zero Turn Riding Mower Charger (egopowerplus.com)

Like ccap41 said, great that you can take out the batteries and use them with the other tools. Base is 4 batteries for 2 acres of mowing and yet add in the 2 additional batteries for 3 acres of mowing.

• Agree 1

^^^

Clearly the fault of those crotch rocket riders.    They just appeared right in front of him. Cut him off.  Basterds! Between them and the guard rail, he just about done everything he could to swerve.  

Anybody try to guess his name tho?  Im sittin' on the fence with 2.  Moe and Ron.  

• Agree 1

This is an interesting read in regards to our discussion about the 1% not paying their fair tax bill and clearly the 50 years of reviews of tax cuts for the Rich have not helped the rest of us be you middle income or poor. As @Drew Dowdell pointed out, we really need to remove all the holes and abuse tax write offs to balance out the tax system including capital gains tax which should always be at the persons tax rate.

50 years of tax cuts for the rich failed to trickle down, economics study says - CBS News

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

^^^

Clearly the fault of those crotch rocket riders.    They just appeared right in front of him. Cut him off.  Basterds! Between them and the guard rail, he just about done everything he could to swerve.  

Anybody try to guess his name tho?  Im sittin' on the fence with 2.  Moe and Ron.  

He's lucky he didn't hit that truck though.  It would have set off a giant wave of snow coming down off the mountain, burying everything in its path.

• Haha 2

I'd love to drive around the streets near the wharves in South Philadelphia and see this.

BB1bWGm1.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

They need to amp up their restoration efforts of the S.S. United States, which holds the record for the fastest transatlantic crossing, at just under 4 days and averaging a little over 41 knots / hr.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For those of us that like the black out packages or RS/Sport trim over chrome, Chevrolet seems to be embracing it as Chevrolet has stated 1/3rd of all SUV/CUV sales where RS/Sport/Blackout versions are available sold and it is one of the hardest trims to keep on the lot. Chevrolet has announced as they refresh all SUV/CUV/Truck products, if the RS/Sport/Blackout editions are not part of that product line, they will be added.

Chevy SUV buyers adore RS, Midnight packages, so there will be more - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Ram 2021 TRX Hellcat production has started and the first one off the assembly line will be auctioned off for Charity.

Ram kicks off 2021 TRX production, will auction the first one off the line for charity - Roadshow (cnet.com)

In 1968 Ford did a special Santa Bronco add. Now in 2020 Ford brings back the Santa Magic again. Seems Santa uses something a bit stronger than Reindeer for the snowier areas of the Globe, a Bronco!

image.png

After 52 years, Santa still digs the Ford Bronco - Roadshow (cnet.com)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, David said:

For those of us that like the black out packages or RS/Sport trim over chrome, Chevrolet seems to be embracing it as Chevrolet has stated 1/3rd of all SUV/CUV sales where RS/Sport/Blackout versions are available sold and it is one of the hardest trims to keep on the lot. Chevrolet has announced as they refresh all SUV/CUV/Truck products, if the RS/Sport/Blackout editions are not part of that product line, they will be added.

Chevy SUV buyers adore RS, Midnight packages, so there will be more - Roadshow (cnet.com)

I find that Chrome is great for 77 and older cars. I really like blacked out cars.

• Agree 1

Love seeing this, a review on all the various headlight cleaning / restore kits and which ones are best. A ranking which helps based on oxidation level for which ones work best.

I Can See Clearly Now: The Best Headlight Restoration Kits - The Truth About Cars

OUCH, OUCH, OUCH, VW was hoping to wrap things up in the European courts about Diesel gate and instead found themselves punished by the courts which will lead them to having to deal with more appeals.

Volkswagen Experiences Déjà Vu in the European Court of Justice - The Truth About Cars

Interesting write up and video showing how to use a Trailer Hitch Plow to clear your drive way.

This Trailer Hitch Snowplow on My Subaru Saved My Driveway From a Massive Winter Storm (thedrive.com)

On 12/14/2020 at 4:26 PM, David said:

Interesting stories today. First is on the top 10 wipers. I use what is rated #1 Bosch wipers and am interested in what others use and why?

For me Bosch last about 2 years for me on an auto along with using RainX on the windshields. Just seems to be a superior super clean wipe.

10 best wiper blades for 2020 - Roadshow (cnet.com)

image.png

Don’t buy wipers at the store. Don’t buy wipers at Amazon.

Buy wipers from RockAuto.com they are 1/3rd of the cost compared to any retail or Amazon. You can get the Trico bar wipers from the which are equivalent to Bosch Icons for like $6 each plus shipping. If you have a bunch of vehicles, order for all your vehicles at the same time and save on shipping costs. Getting 6 blades for my whole fleet was like $48 after shipping. That’s the same as 2 Bosch Icons at Amazon.

Holy hell that is pretty much the color I chose for MY living room, painted it this week!  It's actually called "Rare Gray" but it's definitely greenish, which is wut I wanted.

IMG_0523.JPG

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Holy hell that is pretty much the color I chose for MY living room, painted it this week!  It's actually called "Rare Gray" but it's definitely greenish, which is wut I wanted.

IMG_0523.JPG

Mine is very much green rather than gray.  It might get repainting to a lighter color in the summer. That color has been up 15+ years.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Mine is very much green rather than gray.  It might get repainting to a lighter color in the summer. That color has been up 15+ years.

I defer to safe and boring.  I tend to like that parchment beige color on walls, white on ceilings, and tan carpet in bedrooms, living rooms, and dining rooms.  Also, medium to medium-dark stained wood on millwork.  Not the super dark wood that's now "in," nor millwork painted in white (reminds me of what people did, and do, in Atlanta) or other enamel colors.

You are now going into new or remodeled houses and there's a big push on gray walls as well as the weathered driftwood wood flooring (or vinyl, if economizing) that leans more gray than tan.  I question if this is a good idea in Seattle and Syracuse NY, where gray skies prevail.  In Phoenix, Denver, and Miami, there's enough sunshine to offset the effect (on your psyche) of gray walls and gray flooring. 

- - - - -

Ok, for my tech question:

Is ViewSonic for a basic, no frills desktop monitor a decent enough brand?

57 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I defer to safe and boring.  I tend to like that parchment beige color on walls, white on ceilings, and tan carpet in bedrooms, living rooms, and dining rooms.  Also, medium to medium-dark stained wood on millwork.  Not the super dark wood that's now "in," nor millwork painted in white (reminds me of what people did, and do, in Atlanta) or other enamel colors.

You are now going into new or remodeled houses and there's a big push on gray walls as well as the weathered driftwood wood flooring (or vinyl, if economizing) that leans more gray than tan.  I question if this is a good idea in Seattle and Syracuse NY, where gray skies prevail.  In Phoenix, Denver, and Miami, there's enough sunshine to offset the effect (on your psyche) of gray walls and gray flooring. 

- - - - -

I did a walk through of the house next door after it was remodeled last year and up for sale...similar 1967 split level as mine, and it was all gray on the first floor...gray kitchen, gray flooring, dark gray cabinets, black counter tops...the Millennials seem to love that shit, it sold for $100k more than I paid for my house in 2017.    I wouldn't want gray in a climate w/ a lot of gray sky days.

My house is mostly off-white (eggshell) inside, w/ the kitchen in a light green and one bedroom in green w/ wall paper...I want to eventually repaint it all inside, maybe some light green outside.. it's white/light brick w/ dark green window trim currently.  I like the grayish green.

Edited by Robert Hall