Random Thoughts Thread

16 hours ago, ocnblu said:

My cousin has a 4-year old Forester, it's her first Subaru and it was bought new.  On Saturday at a family breakfast, she said it is her last Subaru.  I found that interesting, but now that I see those multi-year reliability rankings I am not surprised.  She traded a second-gen Liberty in on the Forester.

a lot of the newer Subarus are having engine issues.  Coworker had a new Impreza, waited forever for engine replacement, had loaner for several months.  Lots of issues.  I hear it is not just those issues.  Plus now Subarus have CVT's... wonder how that is going.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, regfootball said:

a lot of the newer Subarus are having engine issues.  Coworker had a new Impreza, waited forever for engine replacement, had loaner for several months.  Lots of issues.  I hear it is not just those issues.  Plus now Subarus have CVT's... wonder how that is going.

Weird boxer engine, new CVTs, and their marketing equals no go for me.  I, too, have read that their reliability is now spotty.  It's their marketing for the wagons that gets to me.  Their sedans look somewhat okay.  The current Impreza has a nice dashboard and cabin.

- - - - -

My random thought:

My phone understands "Southern."  I spoke to Google maps that I wanted directions to "May-retta."  That's what the older Southern folks in and around Atlanta would call Marietta, Georgia a few decades ago.  My damn phone understood me!  I laughed.

7 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I love it, but like the full size Bronco a lot more. 

thinking motorcycle will be my next buy though. I want something like a KLR 650 as a first bike....I like the Honda Africa Twin...but Olds/Drew is thinking of getting a BMw...I like those also. 

KLR:

Image may contain: motorcycle

Image may contain: motorcycle and outdoor

Image may contain: motorcycle

Beautiful. 

The off road and overlanding community loves them, so I will take the ownership experience of actual owners who paid big bucks for them over Balthazars opinion. 

That being said, I didn't buy a Tacoma partially because it felt really dated next to the Ranger.

Good friend has a four runner and loves it.They have gotten this one right. I need something 4WD I can take off road without worrying about scratiching it. If a cheper decent older four runner came up, I might be all over it. 

friend had something like the Suzuki V-Strom, an 'adventure bike'  was a cool bike but he got rid of it and got one of those 6 cylinder Honda Valkerie's now.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Let's get together for something cold to drink when Covid is over, and we can not give a shyte about everything together. 

Sure!

What's a good "I dont give a shyte!" type of drink?   Maybe a boilermaker?  It dont matter as I dont give a shyte!  

We should get together, drink, have a few laughs not giving a shyte!  

• Agree 3

Somebody local bought a new Chevy regular cab dually.  It's white.  It sure looks mean pulling up to a light at daybreak in the opposing lane, and the driver looks good too.  Would love a chance to say "hi, bad-ass truck!"

132268536_2882757831943842_13947922363977890_n.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

Can’t order a truck that doesn’t exist.
No; getting me a tacoma!

Congrats are finally due!  

Tacoma, huh?   

Then you better make sure you opt for that special undercarriage greasing thing they do over at the dealership. 

(I know you got a Chevy)  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Fun Fact: 

Louis Chevrolet, Cavelier De La LaSalle and Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac all spent some time in Montreal.  

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation crew cab / 6.5' bed. 3.0L DuraMax / 10-spd.

It's only money.

GMC...

I meant to say GMC earlier. (as I knew you love the Sierra!)   Its late and Im tired, my mind is mush.  

Awesome!!!

Yup.  Its only money. 

Happy birthday, Dr. Anthony Fauci.  He turns 80 today.  He got his Covid-19 vaccine injection a day or two ago and has a slightly sore arm.

He has been the country's infectious disease guru since 1984 and has advised every U.S. President since Reagan (Ray-gun to some).

Undergrad at College of the Holy Cross in Mass. and medical school at Cornell.  Came from a family who owned and ran a pharmacy in Brooklyn.

When you've got a background like that, there's not a lot for people to criticize. * cough *

Anthony Fauci - Wikipedia

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

It's only money.

Congratulations, It will serve you well. Looking forward to the pictures of the truck. 

What color did you get?

• Agree 2

New Bronco Sport is flat out cool as heck!  Raining buckets here, got off @ noon, went home the easy way, happens to go by a Ford dealer.  They have two Big Bends in, black and Carbonized Gray.  The gray looks cool in person.  I jumped out with my bumbershoot and took a slow walk around them.  😉

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/18/2020 at 1:42 PM, balthazar said:

Bradford-White is supposed to be the best tank water heater brand for quality.

Yep, Installed a B-W 50 gal. Hydrojet WH a few years ago because I found the same after some research and talking to a plumber buddy of mine. Few more bucks, but worth it. The Kenmore Roto-Clean WH I took out was a 1998 and replaced in 2017, great life with hard water too. Kenmore is/was solid stuff! Still have an old Kenmore Intelli-Clean Direct Drive (no belt to break) vacuum cleaner still going strong after 14 years. 

• Agree 1

Arizona Orange Sky December Sunset. Going to be 69-70 for Christmas here. Love it. I'll go up to the snow if I want to ski or screw around in the truck, don't want to live in it. To each their own.

Glad 2020 will soon be OVER!! 

1212201743a_HDR.thumb.jpg.688e3f9708369366e6b9a7eea729c0d0.jpg

• Agree 4

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

It's only money.

Congrats!! Yep, only money and only one life to live, totally worth it.

Need pics soon!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd heard of bumbershoot, it's an annual music festival in Washington..I assume Ocn has some other meaning.

It's a type of umbrella, I believe.

It's some type of event in Seattle.  I would pronounce it "bumper chute" or "bumper shoot," because that's what I thought people were saying, and was corrected.  One more reason for them to dislike transplanted Californians, I suppose.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/23/2020 at 6:19 AM, ocnblu said:

Somebody local bought a new Chevy regular cab dually.  It's white.  It sure looks mean pulling up to a light at daybreak in the opposing lane, and the driver looks good too.  Would love a chance to say "hi, bad-ass truck!"

132268536_2882757831943842_13947922363977890_n.jpg

Given that it's a Dually sounds like it's a good chance to get loaded out back...

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Had a great sunrise yesterday, got to 50 then windy and rainy overnight...snow this afternoon, going to have a white Christmas...

6A6E3D93-804F-47F2-A558-A144082B7373.jpeg

33E13068-B9DF-45AB-9CB5-0B851D62FB9C.jpeg

Snow here in Columbus Ohio.

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Photo:  Nicolas Dory.  Merry Christmas to the group.

Mackenzie-Delta–Reindeer-Herd-Run-3.jpg

And to you also.

On 12/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, balthazar said:

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

Tonka?

• Haha 2

On 12/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, balthazar said:

No; getting me a tacoma!

Good thing I have woodworking tools and some rotted deck boards so we can build a stronger frame.

21 hours ago, balthazar said:

It's only money.

I love the 10 speed in my Ranger. Hope you like the transmission in that new GMC.

On 12/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, balthazar said:

No; getting me a tacoma!

I read your posts in chronological order (before reality sunk in) and thought that the likelihood of you getting a Tacoma(r) is about as likely as me buying a Subaru wagon.

• Agree 1

The Beechcraft Plainsman was a car made in 1946 by the Beech Aircraft Company in Wichita, Kansas. The Plainsman was fitted with an air cooled four cylinder Franklin engine driving a generator, which in turn powered four electric motors, one for each wheel. It was fitted with fully independent air suspension. It also had an aluminum body. It weighed 2,200 pounds, its top speed was 160 miles per hour, and could carry six passengers. Only two were built.

132895216_3651955168160624_6050427047003142088_n.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think that, this Christmas, we should shower ocnblu with a veritable avalanche of "down" and "confused" votes, possibly in exponential form, as a gift for the many he has so liberally bestowed upon other members of our on-line community throughout this year. LOL.

Sound like a plan?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

^^^ In comparison

The Tesla Roadster is a battery electric  vehicle based on the Lotus Elise that was produced by Tesla Motors, now known as Tesla inc.  A Palo Alto California based car manufacturer that is also a technology company with its core technologies as the battery, the computer software and the proprietary motor.  Tesla Motors would eventually start building a proprietary charging network all across the planet.   The Roadster used lithium ion battery sells and the first electric car to travel to more than 200 miles per charge. Tesla would go on to sell 2 450 Roadsters in over 30 countries propelling Tesla to continue on in engineering and producing more electric cars. The Model S, Model X, Model 3 and Model Y while other vehicles are in the pipeline including a pick-up truck and a second generation Roadster.

The Model S and Model 3 becoming smash hit successes.

The other established gasoline powered car manufactures that are a century old, give or take, are currently scrambling to compete with Tesla Inc in the EV market. 

The Tesla Roadster: First Test Drive

Tesla Model S 2020 - View Specs, Prices, Photos & More | Driving

2019 Tesla Model X 75D Specifications - The Car Guide

Model 3 | Tesla Canada

Tesla Model Y deliveries begin ahead of 2022 UK debut | Autocar

Roadster | Tesla

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I read your posts in chronological order (before reality sunk in) and thought that the likelihood of you getting a Tacoma(r) is about as likely as me buying a Subaru wagon.

Actually I like both the crosstrek and Tacoma...But like my Ranger better. 

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

I'd sooner drive my 2-seat, bare frame rail, 45-MPH, manual steering, no heat 1940 everyday than buy a brand new loaded tacoma for one dollar.

I actually really like the Tacoma, but I would pay the $45,000 a new TRD Pro costs to be able to drive the 1940 every day....

But again....I like My Ranger better. It is a suprisingly good vehicle. 

This youtube channel is a fantastic source of information. I love my electric chainsaw and my two gas powered chainsaws. I have 4 table saws at the house....I need a 4th chainsaw so I have as many chainsaws as I do table saws. And I need a 4th Bandsaw, as I only have three bandsaws. 

See how that works?