Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, David said:

Interesting news for the Auto Industry.

PSA and FCA is NOT a merger of equals. PSA gets 6 of the 11 board seats and the CEO and Chairman has the tie-breaker vote, so FCA will only get 5 seats showing the advantage goes to PSA.

Firstly it seems that where heavy PSA/FCA auto's overlap, a consolidation will happen first this year with death of brands as PSA focuses on pushing their brands over FCA brands. Thoughts are Italy will loose it's last little bit of auto industry manufacturing. As stated in the story, FCA has been a money loosing company in Europe especially the wasted Billions on attempting to rebuild the Alfa product line and the ancient Maserati brand. Both needs billions more invested and especially in Hybrid / EV tech. Current tech they have is already a decade plus behind the Germans, Asians and Americans.

Interesting is that Italy has 1.5 million auto building capacity, but currently builds less than 200,000 auto's a year for global consumption. Even before the Pandemic, FCA has all factories on rolling short-term layoffs due to lack of any real demand for Italian auto's.

PSA has already announced that 50% of engineering sites across Europe will close. Also PSA review shows an excessive glut of auto manufacturing in Europe and as such will need to close many plants, but no details have come out yet.

Engineering of US based full size trucks, SUV and mid size SUV's which do not sell well or at all in Europe and other global markets will keep the Auburn Hills site going. Yet all Compact and subcompact auto's will move to PSA platforms as well as any cars they choose to continue to sell under the Dodge/Chrysler name plates.

Seems leaks are coming out as PSA reviews what they need to do to bring their brands to the US and what of FCA needs to be killed off and the first on the list is the DEATH of Chrysler. Cannot blame them as it was starved of product, never really given updates except the MiniVan and as such, slow death into the grave.

Stellantis has the following major problems, excessive production plants and excessive overlap of models in Europe, weak sales in the Asian rim where now global auto sales make up 45% especially in China and old products for some American label brands in North America.

Cuts likely as Fiat Chrysler-PSA tie-up nears approval (apnews.com)

For Mario Kart fans, taking a Tour of Tokyo dressed up as your favorite character was a dream come true, but seems the days could be limited if the continued legal law suites go Nintendo's way which seems it is going.

Surprise, Surprise: Judge Rules Real-Life Mario Kart Tour Violated Nintendo’s IP (thedrive.com)

Would be kind of cool to drive around the streets like in the game. :P 

Yep, that is going to be a mess. Hoping the focus on the American market and throw a bone to D/C and give them both a compact CUV and lux EV for the big C. 🙂  While both brands are a shell of what they used to be-they still have a loyal market...

My poor Cobalt is kinda been ignored a bit with everything going on and the holidays, and went almost 7 months without and oil change (thank goodness for synthetic) and with the weather took my oil and filter to a local lube joint. For the first time in the car’s life, the oil on the dipstick was low (though I suspect the car was not fully warmed either, but low none the less) But everything looks good, fresh QSUD, delco filter and a new air filter. Balt is much, much happier now. Now she needs front pads and rotors....

• Agree 3

Actually there was no plan to link them.  The site has a "replies are merged" function that combines replies if you post things too quickly.  Sometimes I use it to my advantage instead of using the "edit" button, sometimes it bites me in the butt.

Well...it WAS funny either or. 

Its too bad that I wanna make a point with your hypocrisy.  

THAT is the BLU I want back though. The funny Blu.  The interesting tales Blu. 

I could live without your disparaging opinions MAINLY because YOU dont accept discourse. THEREFORE when I see shyte that dont jive...I WILL make sure YOU know about it...

That would include your confusing emoji voting and laughy shyte you do...

That falls under the "insulting my intelligence" category...

If YOU refrain from the DISPARAGING opinions OR if YOU engage in discourse REGARDLESS of how DISPARAGING your posting style may be...I wont have a problem.  

Continue on the way you are now...and it be fireworks every. single. time.  I promise you that.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1

So I mentioned I looked at a '64 GP parts car this weekend. We parted on : I was interested in the engine, but he had a guy before me wanted the whole car. I said 'if that falls thru, call me'.

Seller called me this morning, said it fell thru, asked if I still wanted the motor. I said I'll call you this evening, either way, and let you know. Well; I call at dinner time; he sold the whole car already.

Damn.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

So I mentioned I looked at a '64 GP parts car this weekend. We parted on : I was interested in the engine, but he had a guy before me wanted the whole car. I said 'if that falls thru, call me'.

Seller called me this morning, said it fell thru, asked if I still wanted the motor. I said I'll call you this evening, either way, and let you know. Well; I call at dinner time; he sold the whole car already.

Damn.

Too soon If I say "you snooze, you lose" to you? 

Dog Eyes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Just a suggestion, have you thought of adding 'blu to your Ignored Users list?  Might be a good way to reduce your agita with him... I don't have anyone on Ignore here (I like to see posts from everyone), but do use it judiciously on another forum I frequent that uses the same software as here...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Just a suggestion, have you thought of adding 'blu to your Ignored Users list?  Might be a good way to reduce your agita with him... I don't have anyone on Ignore here (I like to see posts from everyone), but do use it judiciously on another forum I frequent that uses the same software as as here...

I have faith in him in that he will stop trolling.  I dont like to use the ignore feature.  Its a neat feature. But seeing as we arent teenagers in these parts...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Pastitsio

pastistio.thumb.JPG.6bdd457a97394009229972b341260c35.JPG

I love pastitsio.  I order it every time I go into a Greek place that offers a combo lunch or dinner.  I have usually seen it baked with noodles that are flatter ... or are bigger tubes (that's just what I've seen). 

I will not touch moussaka, just like I will not touch eggplant parmigiana.

Let's not even start talking about Greek desserts.  If a Greek or Middle Eastern Orthodox church has an annual festival, I will drop by to eat their overpriced food ... because everything is a la carte.  However, if it goes to help operate their churches, that's fine with me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I havent had moose-kaka (my big fat greek wedding reference) in a long time.  My wife is like you. She dont like it tooo much, so she wont make it.  I like eggplant parmigiana but my favorite would be fried eggplant.  Yes...of course, with tzatziki on the side.  With those flour battered "melitzanes" , would be fried tomatoes.  

Oh...I should have called out your name when I mentioned other posters I like to chit chat with in here. You obviously is someone I enjoy chit chatting too.

Surrreal is another.

I feel like Im giving an acceptance award speech to which Im thanking everybody but Im also missing many others in my speech.

(from a selfish point a view) 

I hope that the vaccines will work and enough of us phoquers will be vaccinated by (Greek Orthodox) Easter (including my family and I) so I could enjoy some necessary quality time with family and friends EATING (Greek foods) on such a sacred religious day.  Would seem appropriate...  (Hope  while being in company with loved ones on the day we celebrate our Saviour sacrificing himself for us)  

Talking about moussaka and fried tomatoes and XMAS just passing us by made me miss my extended family and friends...   (saddened eyes and spirit)  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Hmmmm. Interesting thought. 

You must like cherries because you pick. 

David also created a special Alternative Fuels thread because Blu had plenty of red and white whine with his cheese regarding too much EV talk (in this thread).

And guess what?

He trolled endlessly in THAT thread AGAINST EVs bullying everyone that wanted to enjoy EV talk.

Wait. There is more.

David never ONCE complained that the talk strayed away to ICEV on occasion.

🤔

PS   He doing it again with his false narrative  

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Pastitsio

pastistio.thumb.JPG.6bdd457a97394009229972b341260c35.JPG

THAT would be the leftovers.

I made some meat sauce. The wife made the bechamel.  

We need the 🤤 drool emoji in the instant ones. That looks Da Bomb man. YUMMY!!! :P 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I havent had moose-kaka (my big fat greek wedding reference) in a long time.  My wife is like you. She dont like it tooo much, so she wont make it.  I like eggplant parmigiana but my favorite would be fried eggplant.  Yes...of course, with tzatziki on the side.  With those flour battered "melitzanes" , would be fried tomatoes.  

Oh...I should have called out your name when I mentioned other posters I like to chit chat with in here. You obviously is someone I enjoy chit chatting too.

Surrreal is another.

I feel like Im giving an acceptance award speech to which Im thanking everybody but Im also missing many others in my speech.

(from a selfish point a view) 

I hope that the vaccines will work and enough of us phoquers will be vaccinated by (Greek Orthodox) Easter (including my family and I) so I could enjoy some necessary quality time with family and friends EATING (Greek foods) on such a sacred religious day.  Would seem appropriate...  (Hope  while being in company with loved ones on the day we celebrate our Saviour sacrificing himself for us)  

Talking about moussaka and fried tomatoes and XMAS just passing us by made me miss my extended family and friends...   (saddened eyes and spirit)  

Yes, I am looking forward to vaccination of the world so we all can get back to enjoying life with family, friends and travel. Road Trips Big Time!!! I miss my bi-yearly visit to Fairmount Hot Springs in Canada and exploring Banff National Park.

Fairmont Hot Springs Resort Fairmont Hot Springs, British Columbia, CA - Reservations.com

Banff Travel Guide - Canadian Rockies Activities - Banff National Park

Banff National Park (pc.gc.ca)

12 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Is it wrong to already want spring? 

YES, Ski season has just started. We need MORE SNOW, MORE COLD. 

But for those that like warmth, enjoy the south.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, David said:

Yes, I am looking forward to vaccination of the world so we all can get back to enjoying life with family, friends and travel. Road Trips Big Time!!! I miss my bi-yearly visit to Fairmount Hot Springs in Canada and exploring Banff National Park.

Oh yeah, definitely getting cabin fever after spending most of the last 9 months at home...looking to the world returning to something resembling 'normal'.. no idea when I will get back on an airplane.. but I really, really would like to spend a week in the Colorado mountains...

• Agree 2

In honesty I’m not in a rush to get the vaccine just yet. While I understand the science, I want to wait a see it work a bit before I make the jump. Being high risk still has me on the cautious end with anything to do with Covid 19.  With friends who are getting it (nurses) things are so far so good. the upside is that the more that do get it (whether vaccine or sick) will at least make it less dangerous hopefully...where it will be like the flu....

Would be nice to have some kind of normal soon....

• Agree 3

If I have to work in an office again anytime soon, I'd definitely want to get the vaccine before being in a cube farm around other human resource units.   Hopefully I'll find another remote gig, my current one is winding down most likely in mid-February after 6 1/2 years. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

If I have to work in an office again anytime soon, I'd definitely want to get the vaccine before being in a cube farm around other human resource units.   Hopefully I'll find another remote gig, my current one is winding down most likely in mid-February after 6 1/2 years. 

Miss my office job.....hopefully it will survive the furlough....Cool part is that I did both.

The second job on the other hand may require it, due to it being in retail and dealing with the public.

If the 1st goes bust, I think I would do a remote job if possible.....

4 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Flu cases down 98%... how is that possible?

I doubt they are down that much, but with all the masks, sanitizers, and distancing-can’t say I am surprised either....

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Miss my office job.....hopefully it will survive the furlough....Cool part is that I did both.

After 3 1/2 years of working remote full time, going back to an office and a commute would take some adjustment. I do like sleeping in until 7:30.. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Robert Hall said:

After 3 1/2 years of working remote full time, going back to an office and a commute would take some adjustment. I do like sleeping in until 7:30.. 

Now that I have gone to work from home full time, I honestly cannot see giving up my 2hrs a day to go into an office when everything I do can be done remotely. Like you, I do like sleeping in till 5am rather than 4am when I would get up and get going to catch the bus into Seattle for my early concalls with Cork Ireland.

I honestly see no value to having people go into an office versus Zoom and working at home. Cheaper for the companies and better work / Life balance for Employees.

I think many companies will see the value in not having to provide commercial office space. Higher profits, lower costs for the company.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, David said:

Down Voted as you went political here.

LOL what a kneejerk reaction.  It offers no issue to take sides on.  This post supports Drew's oft-broken (even by him) rule prohibiting political talk in the forums.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

61 Cat cop.png

Wow.  A coupe doing police work.  You don't see that too often.

Pontiac could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  Clearly, I'm kidding.  What I meant is that PMD could take a more generic GM product that it shared with other divisions and do something with the nostrils so that it snares you and you won't easily forget it.

2 door cop cars courtesy of the Montreal po-po department.  

CinéMobile - Our Locations - DODGE POLARA

Pin by Margaret Homer on Vintage | Police cars, Old police cars, Ford police

I betcha that the next police car from Montreal Ill post will blow your minds.  (and not in a good way)  I had forgotten about them. 

djensoniq82 1987 Chevrolet Celebrity's Photo Gallery at CarDomain

Automotive History: Some Unusual Or Unexpected Police Cars From The United  States And Canada | Curbside Classic

Dafuq was Montreal thinking when they opted for these?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

2 door cop cars courtesy of the Montreal po-po department.  

CinéMobile - Our Locations - DODGE POLARA

Pin by Margaret Homer on Vintage | Police cars, Old police cars, Ford police

I betcha that the next police car from Montreal Ill post will blow your minds.  (and not in a good way)  I had forgotten about them. 

Automotive History: Some Unusual Or Unexpected Police Cars From The United  States And Canada | Curbside Classic

Well, the bad guys could actually run from those cars.... 😉 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

At 

At least they weren't K-cars.  In the '80s cop show 'Night Heat' (filmed in Toronto) the detectives drove Reliants...IIRC, there were ones in police lights and livery also.   I wonder if the Toronto police actually had them...

i001424716.jpg

• Agree 1