Random Thoughts Thread

I got the Bevel up Jointer previously, which is proving to be a work horse in my shop.

05P3701 - Veritas Bevel-Up Jointer Plane, A2

I would love to get an infill plane at some point, but they are pricey. This one is made by the Lazarus Hand plane company....one off.....but $1800....

313 5.JPG

Image may contain: 2 people, text that says 'BREAKING NEWS: Hair & Makeup team resigns from The White House. E Ho ON'

More infill planes...

331 3.JPG

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

41 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Never know how much you miss the sun when you don’t see it as much......

Had a very nice sunny afternoon yesterday here.  Today, back to the regularly scheduled gloom.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2

This is amazingly beautiful....

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Had a very nice sunny afternoon yesterday here.  Today, back to the regularly scheduled gloom.

Beautiful here in Columbus today. 

I love this guys content....

• Agree 2

I have become really captivated with mid centuryu modern design....I want to try a few pieces when i get through a few comission pieces I am building. 

This design feels heavy though....I think it needs a slightly different base. 

• Agree 2

Skull in chainmail from the batle of Visby, 1361....

No photo description available.

I can combine my love of cars with my love of woodworking, so cool. 

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

....or this....love old square body Chevy's. 

Image may contain: meme, text and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people, sky and outdoor, text that says 'ENJOY LIFE... There's plenty of time to be dead'

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is amazingly beautiful....

Beautiful here in Columbus today. 

I love this guys content....

Sun came out here at noon, beautiful afternoon now..  

I love the MCM furniture... have a bunch of it from Arizona, want to use it in the front living room eventually...some needs restored/refinished...a couple pieces came apart in moving. 

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Sun came out here at noon, beautiful afternoon now..  

I love the MCM furniture... have a bunch of it from Arizona, want to use it in the front living room eventually...some needs restored/refinished...a couple pieces came apart in moving. 

I am two hours south and have lots of tools and clamps to put things back together.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, grass, car, plant, outdoor and nature

I got a kick out of the first photo.

As for the second one, it sort of reminds me of the kin folk that the Griswolds had in Kansas in the movie "Vacation" that they visited en route to Wally World.

MCM is a weird thing, to me, because there's MCM that's too, too time stamped and MCM that is timeless.  One would have to look at each table, sofa, and even house to decide if it's an MCM that they could live with.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 1

Everyone would love be told they're a 10, right?

Well, it's out at the end of the bell shaped curve of probability, so it's not likely.

However, there are only 10 more days.

So, 10 is a good number after all.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Never know how much you miss the sun when you don’t see it as much......

I love a Cloudy day or drizzle over sunny days. :P 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, David said:

I love a Cloudy day or drizzle over sunny days. 

I am okay with an overcast day.  You can still do a lot.  In fact, you can do many things very comfortably.

I am a little less okay with drizzly or rainy days.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

Did an XT6 test drive this past weekend. Will get a short writeup up in reader reviews in the next couple days. 

too bad it’s pricing is sooo out of whack 

It’s likable otherwise

🤣🤣

Does anyone know about these, or want one?  I've seen like two total on the road since their intro.

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

Did an XT6 test drive this past weekend. Will get a short writeup up in reader reviews in the next couple days. 

It’s likable otherwise

🤣🤣

I liked what I saw on several Cadillac models when I was in a GM showroom recently. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Does anyone know about these, or want one?  I've seen like two total on the road since their intro.

I see very few also. 

9 hours ago, regfootball said:

It's priced where it's slotted- between the XT5 and Escalade. And closer to the XT5 than the E, which is logical. What's 'out of whack' about it?

Tho the pre-production buzz was that this was going to be an 'XT8' (with the Escalade being a 'XT10'), all the reviews I've watched on the XT6 seem to really like it. I've seen a few driving around by me.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I am okay with an overcast day.  You can still do a lot.  In fact, you can do many things very comfortably.

I am a little less okay with drizzly or rainy days.

As a Skin Cancer survivor, I know even while I was never a sun worshiper or fan of having sunny days, I am even more now of an avoider of the sun and lather on sun screen lotion even during cloudy bright days. Course Seattle has Drizzle 9 months of the year and as such, we are used to hiking, camping and playing in the drizzle no matter what the temp is, so I love it and it does not stop me from gardening or doing pretty much anything outside.

I can respect everyone for enjoying the sun and less so the rain especially when you do not live in a place that has it often.

Course the rain storms in Texas were crazy huge when they hit. Talk about flooding events.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Totally agree with you, I have NEVER seen any marketing for the Cadillac XT6. I talked back in November when I got the oil change done on my Escalade and my sales rep informed me he was retiring due to the pandemic and decided to stay safe in the woods. 

I asked him how the XT6 was doing and he said that they had sold maybe 6 for all of 2020 at the time compared to the dozens of XT5 and Escalades over the year. Problem he saw was that people seem to like many other options out there better than the XT6 and the interior. He said which I agree with that the fit n finish is good but GM did not give it the luxury level that people are expecting for the price. In fact he said the weird part is people have a better luxury impression of a Denali equipped CUV over the XT6 as his sister GMC/Buick store was selling gang busters all they could get of CUVs.

It is sad as while I was excited for when Cadillac talked about it, was disappointed when I actually saw it and the rushed job to just get it to market and have another niche filled with a product.

GM needs to stop doing this if they want Cadillac to grow.

Focus on the Luxury and let GMC/Buick fill in all the Niche areas for appliance sizes. 

• Agree 3

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I recall seeing XT6s at the auto show back in Feb or March, but I don't recall seeing one on the road..but 2020 was a strange year and I was on the road very little. 

I intend to road trip a lot in 2021. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'm not going out and about amidst a plague populace...not sure when I will be taking any trips again. 

I am going to do a lot of camping and social distancing. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I intend to road trip a lot in 2021. 

8 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I'm not going out and about amidst a plague populace...not sure when I will be taking any trips again. 

5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

My wife and I did one 500 mile road trip, the North Cascade Loop. North Cascades Scenic Highway (scenicwa.com)
We only stopped in a true Western Cowboy town, still has wood sidewalks, horse tie up posts, etc. Winthrop (Scenic Washinton | Best Small Towns in Washington | Winthrop) to use the bathrooms, otherwise we had all our food with us in the Escalade and only stopped at places where no one else was at to stretch legs and look at the beautiful scenery. Lucky for me the Escalade can make the loop on a single gas tank, so minimal people interaction there too.

This is the kind of road trips we will do in 2021 planning to minimize any interaction with other people during this pandemic.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I think I need a small RV/camper...maybe one of those Honda Elements w/ the pop up roof...would be fun to go out on the islands in the summer and go camping.  I'm not a tent person. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I think I need a small RV/camper...maybe one of those Honda Elements w/ the pop up roof...would be fun to go out on the islands in the summer and go camping.  I'm not a tent person. 

The ursla pop up tent top for the Wrangler is really cool but a bit pricey. That would be my chouice. Or get a Hiker trailer, they are about five grand well equippeed and coudl easily be towed by your GC. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Sales guy said it's becoming their best selling model now that people are finding out.  Must be why Caddy did a whack job on the XT5 to add the 3rd row.

I liked it, except engine options are only the 3.6 and the interior is not really Cadillac level in certain colors and trims.  There actually was a used new Aviator on their lot at the same time i went and took a look at and for sure the Aviator presents way nicer and has that 400hp v6.

I look at it as if you want an Acadia sized vehicle but don't want an Acadia because its frumpy, and because there is no third row Blazer, the XT6 is by default the 'GM fans mid sized deluxe three row'.

Not a bad thing really, some folks don't want a BMW or something douchey like that.

The ride and handling i really liked.  It was the sport version.  Quick steering. With another 50 horsepower it would be quite the stealthy thing.  I was actually good on interior materials, just that it has that old XT5 dash and console, so its dated when it comes out.  Otherwise, it's just kind of 'there'.  Not an object of desire, really.

Pretty good for empty nesters and retirees.

Edited by regfootball
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Just get inflatable car mattress for your GC and a roof basket for your stuff. Inexpensive and comfortable solution for occasional camper.

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, David said:

Totally agree with you, I have NEVER seen any marketing for the Cadillac XT6. I talked back in November when I got the oil change done on my Escalade and my sales rep informed me he was retiring due to the pandemic and decided to stay safe in the woods. 

I asked him how the XT6 was doing and he said that they had sold maybe 6 for all of 2020 at the time compared to the dozens of XT5 and Escalades over the year. Problem he saw was that people seem to like many other options out there better than the XT6 and the interior. He said which I agree with that the fit n finish is good but GM did not give it the luxury level that people are expecting for the price. In fact he said the weird part is people have a better luxury impression of a Denali equipped CUV over the XT6 as his sister GMC/Buick store was selling gang busters all they could get of CUVs.

It is sad as while I was excited for when Cadillac talked about it, was disappointed when I actually saw it and the rushed job to just get it to market and have another niche filled with a product.

GM needs to stop doing this if they want Cadillac to grow.

Focus on the Luxury and let GMC/Buick fill in all the Niche areas for appliance sizes. 

At the core, they probably saw the XT5 sales declining no matter what they do with that, so the XT6 just simply gives that person with the XT5 something to trade into or re-lease....just like the XT5 they had but with a 'new' twist.  Yes they did just frankenstein it together.

• Agree 1

The real issue with the XT6 (and probably the XT5 as well) is that neither of them have an interior worthy of Cadillac.  The Escalade interior should be in both the XT5 and XT6 sooner rather than later.

BTW, the 350/400 numbers on the back of the XT4 and XT5 and XT6 refer to torque, not horsepower.  It's a terrible gimmick, given that the number on the back used to refer to engine size with c.i. or c.c.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, ykX said:

Just get inflatable car mattress for your GC and a roof basket for your stuff. Inexpensive and comfortable solution for occasional camper.

This is actually really good advice. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, trinacriabob said:

@Robert Hall I will say that both the Cisco and Sun Microsystems logos are cool.

It would have been a huge marketing gaffe if Cisco had instead gone with Frisco.

I'm partial to Sun Microsystems, I've owned a few of their workstations, used them throughout the 90s, they created the Java programming language that I've used for 25 years, and had a couple job offers from them in the 90s (that w/ 20/20 hindsight, should have taken).  

I put in the MCI Worldcom logo because that is where I started my career, was at MCI before Worldcom bought them...good times in Colorado Springs in the late 90s. 

• Agree 1

Image may contain: 8 people, people sitting

Just now, Robert Hall said:

I'm partial to Sun Microsystems, I've owned a few of their workstations, used them throughout the 90s, they created the Java programming language that I've used for 25 years, and had a couple job offers from them in the 90s (that w/ 20/20 hindsight, should have taken).  

I put in the MCI Worldcom logo because that is where I started my career, was at MCI before Worldcom bought them...good times in Colorado Springs in the late 90s. 

Colorado springs would be a decent place to live but I hear its wildly politically cosnervative. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Colorado springs would be a decent place to live but I hear its wildly politically conservative. 

It is..that is part of why I left there for more cosmopolitan Denver...beautiful place, though.   I didn't realize it was so conservative when I moved there, but it was quite a change from Ann Arbor where I moved from.  Boulder would have been a good fit for me, but it's become obscenely expensive to live there now. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

The real issue with the XT6 (and probably the XT5 as well) is that neither of them have an interior worthy of Cadillac.  The Escalade interior should be in both the XT5 and XT6 sooner rather than later.

BTW, the 350/400 numbers on the back of the XT4 and XT5 and XT6 refer to torque, not horsepower.  It's a terrible gimmick, given that the number on the back used to refer to engine size with c.i. or c.c.

The new numbering system will make more sense for EVs than the current ICE product. Cadillac should stay with C.I. or C.C. and leave the Torque to the EVs.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1