Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is a really rare and unique car, would love to see it restored. 

Seeing the pic (would you call that a thumbnail?) on the vid and then watching the video...all I kept on hearing in my mind was this lyric :  "I think its so groovy now!"

• Agree 1

This is crazy.  You go to either Galveston or South Padre Island and there are all these kitsch images of sharks on stores, restaurants, boardwalks, etc.

IMG_7795.thumb.JPG.bb65a964212b36f5797ee368d779947b.JPG

Then, when I was last there, I called a seafood restaurant to see if they had shark on the menu.  It can be tasty - I have had thrasher shark in California several times.  The lady told me that, in Texas, it is illegal to offer commercially fished shark to restaurant patrons.  So, you can't eat the shark ... and this is in Texas, a state with a big emphasis on guns and hunting, and liberties like that. 

How about passing laws that the shark can't eat you?!?

• Haha 4

OUCH Porsche pricing for the Panamera is Crazy. While the base still starts at $88,550, prices for options have jumped considerably and if you want the Panamera Turbo SE Hybrid Executive edition, that will start at $190,450 and run up from there. 

19 different trim levels from base to the Executive edition on top of a crazy assortment of woods, leathers, etc. Seems maybe Porsche is looking to go Rolls Royce for their top of the line sedan?

2021 Porsche Panamera pricing is here, so gird your wallet - Roadshow (cnet.com)

R.I.P. in piece Shop-Vac, a company the Pandemic took in September 2020 according to Honda.

Honda has offered for years a family favorite, a built in Shop-Vac system to clean the interior of the Honda Odyssey Mini-Van. Sadly the Shop-Vac company closed it's doors last fall with Zero Notice to employees and Honda has not found an a replacement supplier and as such moved up their 2022 Mini-van with no built in vacuum system.

Honda Odyssey loses nifty in-van vacuum option after supplier shuts doors - Roadshow (cnet.com)

• Agree 1

Some days I feel like getting a "boulevardier" as a second car just because ...

I often search for such cars on line.

I'm thinking a '94 to '96 Caprice Classic with the small V8, an early 2000s Grand Marquis with the 4.6L V8, a mid '80s GM full size with the 4.3 V6, or something like that that an elderly person - or any other type of person - stashed in their garage and took really good care of.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

On 1/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, Robert Hall said:

On my job search, got about 2 weeks left on my current gig...been through 2nd interviews at two places, had a couple 1st interviews...in talking w/ recruiters late on Friday it sounds like offers may be coming Mon-Tues on a couple of them.. decisions, decisions..both companies in the fin tech space, one a contract w/ a big Western New York company (100% remote) with a traditional software development environment, the other an FTE position with a small local company that is growing and has pretty cutting-edge technology... 

...and got a very attractive offer from the small local company this afternoon that I'm mulling over...

• Agree 4

On 12/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, balthazar said:

• • • ORDERED A TRUCK TODAY. • • •

So... a week ago stop at the dealer and the guy tells me the order was logged on 12/24, but that GM factories are closed down from X-mas thru the end of Jan, and they have no confirmation. Strangely, the UAW national calendar for 2020/2021 shows them going back to work on 1/3.
Anyway, my order won't get placed until more like Feb 1. ... which pushes delivery back to maybe last week of April / 1st wk of May. -SIGH-

So I've gone back to the GMClocator. Found the right configuration, sans spray-in bedliner, in central PA about 99 miles from me. My dealer told me I'd pay somewhere between MSRP and dealer invoice ($55K - $53K, so let's say $52K)... and this PA truck is $48K.

Thinking about cancelling the order, getting my deposit back and buying off-lot.

Downsides??

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 4

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

...and got a very attractive offer from the small local company this afternoon that I'm mulling over...

In your line of work, things don't appear to be that cyclical ... or maybe I'm wrong about that.  STEM is typically a good route, if you're cut out to do that type of work.  Good luck with your selecting an offer that works for you.

I'm thinking you lived "Office Space" at one time or another.  That movie never stops being funny.  And, for me, the icing on the comic cake is the wound up Middle Eastern/South Asian character with the great accent.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, balthazar said:

PA truck has $7700 off sticker ($5500 from national program, $2200 from dealer), provided you take delivery by 2/1.

Problem is- the truck is still in transit.

You want a Dark Sky Elevation Crew Cab Standard (6.5') Box Duramax, right?  I punched into GMC's locator and searched 250 miles from my zip, I saw zero trucks in that combo, I did see one for $48k with the short (5.5') box though (maybe I am wrong on your favored combo, or I skipped over it in the locator).  I know it is a pain waiting for a factory-ordered vehicle, I've been there.  I'd be doing the same thing you're doing.  If you can find the right one, snatch it up!

Edited by ocnblu
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Excellent news. 

51 minutes ago, ykX said:

None.  If you see something you like, especially at a better price, go get it without hesitation.

I learned when I was looking for my car, good deals don't last very long.

I still think about a few cars I didn't buy, a 68 GTO and a 57 Ford Ranchero in  particular. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

You want a Dark Sky Elevation Crew Cab Standard (6.5') Box Duramax, right?  I punched into GMC's locator and searched 250 miles from my zip, I saw zero trucks in that combo, I did see one for $48k with the short (5.5') box though (maybe I am wrong on your favored combo, or I skipped over it in the locator).  I know it is a pain waiting for a factory-ordered vehicle, I've been there.  I'd be doing the same thing you're doing.  If you can find the right one, snatch it up!

Curious to see what you do in the vehicle department. Cactus Grey ranger to go with my black one wight be really nice in the C and G fleet. Although i am not going to be able to afford the special bespoke sand color (Sand Dune). 

They had a sand dune Zr2 at my local chevy dealer, it didn't hang round long before it was sold. 

Although for fifty large, I could really see myself buying a Chevy Trail Boss. 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

PA truck has $7700 off sticker ($5500 from national program, $2200 from dealer), provided you take delivery by 2/1.

Problem is- the truck is still in transit.

That's a healthy discount. 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

So... a week ago stop at the dealer and the guy tells me the order was logged on 12/24, but that GM factories are closed down from X-mas thru the end of Jan, and they have no confirmation. Strangely, the UAW national calendar for 2020/2021 shows them going back to work on 1/3.
Anyway, my order won't get placed until more like Feb 1. ... which pushes delivery back to maybe last week of April / 1st wk of May. -SIGH-

So I've gone back to the GMClocator. Found the right configuration, sans spray-in bedliner, in central PA about 99 miles from me. My dealer told me I'd pay somewhere between MSRP and dealer invoice ($55K - $53K, so let's say $52K)... and this PA truck is $48K.

Thinking about cancelling the order, getting my deposit back and buying off-lot.

Downsides??

No downsides other than the time you spend taking pics so the rest of us can see it. 

• Agree 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:39 PM, ocnblu said:

2021 Ranger STX Special Edition in Cactus Gray ~

vehicle.png

Got passed by a Bronco Sport in Cactus grey out on the interstate yesterday, I like the color more every time I see it. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

In your line of work, things don't appear to be that cyclical ... or maybe I'm wrong about that.  STEM is typically a good route, if you're cut out to do that type of work.  Good luck with your selecting an offer that works for you.

I'm thinking you lived "Office Space" at one time or another.  That movie never stops being funny.  And, for me, the icing on the comic cake is the wound up Middle Eastern/South Asian character with the great accent.

Yes, software engineering/IT remains a strong field...plenty going on in NE Ohio, and with everyone looking for 100% remote currently, my 3 1/2 years of full time remote experience works in my favor.  

'Office Space' felt like a documentary to me..it reminded me a lot of corporate IT in the 90s.   A more recent one was the show 'Silicon Valley' which was a brilliant satire of startup company culture.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 3

Thinking about it myself, I think I want to customer order my next car. My Equinox is kinda a rare bird, is that in 19 the Kenetic blue was only thrown a small number of LS trimmed ones (It’s only offered for LT/Premier) Though I did consider ordering mine...

My Cavalier was a custom order. I wanted it completely stripped of dealer options so that I could add my own when ready. (Plan was to customize the car)

Not sure what the next ride will be, but I would like it to my tastes......

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Thinking about it myself, I think I want to customer order my next car. My Equinox is kinda a rare bird, is that in 19 the Kenetic blue was only thrown a small number of LS trimmed ones (It’s only offered for LT/Premier) Though I did consider ordering mine...

My Cavalier was a custom order. I wanted it completely stripped of dealer options so that I could add my own when ready. (Plan was to customize the car)

Not sure what the next ride will be, but I would like it to my tastes......

Getting harder to do, fewer option packages on modern cars. Which is why vehicles like the Ford Bronoc are so cool. I think there will be a lot of good choices in how to equip it. 

• Agree 1

First car I ever got behind the wheel of was a 71 country squire istting on my dads lap turning the steering wheel in a park with nothing else around. This video brings back fantastic memories. 

One more vintage Ford wagon video then I've got to get some work done. 

I could use a wagon that could swallow a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood inside of it. I love the ranger but....a wagon would be handy. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

First car I ever got behind the wheel of was a 71 country squire istting on my dads lap turning the steering wheel in a park with nothing else around. This video brings back fantastic memories.  

Reminds me of my earliest 'driving' memories w/ my Dad...I'd sit in his lap and steer his '69 Mustang, '67 Cougar or '72 Marquis up and down our 3/4 mile driveway and on the gravel country road running past our property...must have been 1974-1975...

I also remember driving his 1961 John Deere 2010 tractor around..  found a pic of one very similar...those old tractors are neat.

c1a997359487703d252db865454b5e72.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

My dad never did that with me. A buddy had a ‘68 Sedan deVille when we were 15, and I drove that in his back fields... I have a list somewhere but I think that was the first car I drove.

My old roommate Jami was a short awkward little guy. His parents had a 59 cadillac 4 door with the huge fins that he drove to high school....a bunch fo girls would sing the theme to "Batman" every day when he rolled up in the school parking lot. 

I have told this story before, but I am over 55, I am allowed to repeat myself. 

Image may contain: one or more people, motorcycle, sky and outdoor

Always knew he was a gearhead....good looking bike!

12 minutes ago, David said:

Very first auto I drove was our 1970 Mercury Station wagon.

image.png

Love that Era of Mercury wagon. 

• Haha 1

My first car was a silver 1994 Ford Probe GT. Acquired used in 1996 with a rather high 73,000 miles for $7,500. It had a buttery smooth Mazda KL-DE 2.5L 24-valve V6 which made 164 bhp @ 6000 rpm, 156 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm and a 5-speed manual transmission. It took 7.5 secs to reach 60 mph and got 20/26 mpg. The tires were 225/50 R16 Michelin Pilot HX MXM which gave plenty of grip despite the all strut suspension.

--

In many ways, my subsequent cars -- which included a 1987 GTi 16v, 1988 MR2 Supercharged, 1991 Celica All-Trac Turbo and 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD -- weren't quite as new or as nice. The Probe was lost in an accident without comprehensive insurance and my college era wallet never allowed it to be replaced with something comparable. So, I ended up buying older cars which I could buy, own for less than a year and sell for the same amount I paid for it (or a little more on occasion).

ford-probe-1994-1600-03.jpg

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

My first car was a silver 1994 Ford Probe GT. Acquired used in 1996 with a rather high 73,000 miles for $7,500. It had a buttery smooth Mazda KL-DE 2.5L 24-valve V6 which made 164 bhp @ 6000 rpm, 156 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm and a 5-speed manual transmission. It took 7.5 secs to reach 60 mph and got 20/26 mpg. The tires were 225/50 R16 Michelin Pilot HX MXM which gave plenty of grip despite the all strut suspension.

--

In many ways, my subsequent cars -- which included a 1987 GTi 16v, 1988 MR2 Supercharged, 1991 Celica All-Trac Turbo and 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD -- weren't quite as new or as nice. The Probe was lost in an accident without comprehensive insurance and my college era wallet never allowed it to be replaced with something comparable. So, I ended up buying older cars which I could buy, own for less than a year and sell for the same amount I paid for it (or a little more on occasion).

Great to see ya back Dwight! Loved the probes, was a cool Ford/Mazda car.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dwightlooi said:

My first car was a silver 1994 Ford Probe GT.

1996 Mazda MX-6 with almost 100k miles.  Drove it till it hit 200k miles (which took less than 4 years). It was a great car, but not for tall people.

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, ykX said:

1996 Mazda MX-6 with almost 100k miles.  Drove it till it hit 200k miles (which took less than 4 years). It was a great car, but not for tall people.

The K-series 2.5 remains one of the smoothest V6 engines to date. The combination of a short 74.2mm stroke, 60 deg angle, relatively low compression (9.5:1), belt driven cams and being devoid of modern direct injection clatter meant that it was supremely quiet and creamy all the way to its 7,000 rpm fuel cut. This was one of those engines where you can hardly tell the difference between 2,000 rpm and 7,000 rpm. You could hear the whirl of the alternator fan but you couldn't hear the engine! There wasn't much above 6,200 rpm though and the briskest pace was achieved by shifting way short of the redline. They do have a habit of cracking the distributor caps, but that is a cheap and easy repair you can do in 15 minutes.

--

Oh, and if you totally neglect it and snap the timing belt? No problem! I it was a non-interference engine and the pistons wouldn't hit the valves.

Edited by dwightlooi
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

--

My sons friend Nick ahd one of these. Good cars. 

3 hours ago, balthazar said:

Oh crap.

I just noticed that all the Sierra Elevations in my search radius have a VIN starting with '3'.

One more reason not to buy a Tacoma, they moved production from Texas to South of the Border.  As if you needed another reason not to buy a Tacoma. 

21 minutes ago, ykX said:

Also, the manual transmission was great too.

I loved the transmission in my Miatas, would love to own another Miata. 

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Country code : built in Mexico.
1, 4, 5 = U.S.

Don't worry, a US built Cybertruck headed your way shortly (just kidding). 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Getting harder to do, fewer option packages on modern cars. Which is why vehicles like the Ford Bronoc are so cool. I think there will be a lot of good choices in how to equip it. 

Yeah, short of odd colors-makes it hard to be somewhat different and stand out from the crowd. I guess at least GM has a nice selection of accessories to choose from.

Keeping the Nox means it might get some custom stuff... 🙂 

• Agree 1

Ahead of the arrival of AWESOME EV Trucks, Diesel sales have surged. In 2020 Diesel truck sales jumped 28% as overall new auto sales declined 14%. The latest report shoes that for 2019 and 2020 5 of the top 10 non-gasoline auto's were diesels. The number one top sales was the Tesla Y CUV.

In the drive to boost fuel efficiency, auto makers in the US have resorted to using diesel and it will be interesting to see if this is blunted by the arrival of electric trucks this fall.

Currently there are 13 diesel options for light-duty and heavy-duty pickups and 12 diesel options for SUV's.

Just before arrival of electric trucks, diesel sales are surging (greencarreports.com)

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, David said:

The number one top sales was the Tesla Y CUV.

Incorrect- Model Y has the #1 sales RATE increase, not the #1 non-gas seller.

Tesla sold 442K Model 3 & Model Y vehicles globally in 2020. A bit of sleight-of-hand when every other manufacturer reports country sales subtotals. Then there's the combining of 2 distinct models into one number (an old toyoter trick).

Per registration data, Tesla sold an average of 11,500 Model Y's in the U.S. in the last 3 months of 2020. That would only be a yearly total (average) of 138,000 units.

- - - - -
GM for one has greatly expanded the availability of turbodiesels in light duty trucks. It's so tough to beat the combination of longevity, initial price, power and range of the 3.0L. In early testing, Wards was getting 32 MPG out of it.

Edited by balthazar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GM has released their plans to be Carbon Neutral by 2040 and this will come by eliminating tail-pipe emissions by 2035. 

As such this pretty much says that Chevrolet and GMC Gas / Diesel powered trucks / SUVs will be gone by 2035.

QUOTE: 

Electrification
The use of GM’s products accounts for 75 percent of carbon emissions related to this commitment. GM will offer 30 all-electric models globally by mid-decade and 40 percent of the company’s U.S. models offered will be battery electric vehicles by the end of 2025. GM is investing $27 billion in electric and autonomous vehicles in the next five years – up from the $20 billion planned before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Renewable Energy
To address emissions from its own operations, GM will source 100 percent renewable energy to power its U.S. sites by 2030 and global sites by 2035, which represents a five-year acceleration of the company’s previously announced global goal. Today, GM is the 10th largest offtaker of renewable energy in the world and in 2020, the company received a 2020 Green Power Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

General Motors, the Largest U.S. Automaker, Plans to be Carbon Neutral by 2040 (gm.com)

• Agree 1

Ford Corporation has released their new Marketing Campaign of "Club Quarantine" with DJ D-NICE and the Launch of the 2021 F-150.

Quote:

A “Work It Out” 30-second television spot airs today on OWN, BET and TV One. It features D-Nice driving to a gig in a 2021 F-150 filled with DJ equipment. Respecting social distancing rules and his responsibilities toward masking up, D-Nice brings the party to the partygoers, utilizing the truck’s available Pro Power Onboard to run his equipment.

Ford Launches 2021 F-150 with New Lifestyle Campaign Featuring ‘Club Quarantine’ DJ D-Nice | Ford Media Center

I have to say that right now, I was loving the RAM for looks over Ford or GM options especially the butt ugly Chevrolet pickup. 

Yet then GM launches the 2021 HD Denali Black edition and I have to say this is HOT! Wish you could get it without the Diesel, but still this is now the best looking truck out there I think for the GM, Ford and Ram.

image.png

image.png

Only draw back for me is that the interior while nice, looks so dated.

image.png

• Agree 1