Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

When you make obtuse irrational points that can be interpreted a number of different ways it doesn't exactly give warm fuzzies.

That’s merely a reflection of the “Do as I say, not as I do” policy he seems to follow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

obtuse irrational

interpreted a number of different ways

You have made the mistake of branding my point as irrational and obtuse while admitting it can be interpreted a number of different ways.  Which is it?

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You have made the mistake of branding my point as irrational and obtuse while admitting it can be interpreted a number of different ways.  Which is it?

You do realize that those are necessarily mutual right? It can be all of it. Your posts are, at times, irrational and are also (at times) obtuse (which itself can mean “open to interpretation”). Sometimes they are both. It’s really not that “cerebral” when you think about it.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

Just now, surreal1272 said:

You do realize that those are necessarily mutual right? It can be all of it.

It can also be none of it.  You've chosen to see a glass half empty.  For that, you get yet another demerit.  I can't fit anymore on your page, I must start anew.

• Disagree 1

Up skiing after a busy weekend. Had to laugh to see the EV charging spots covered in packed snow.

Will post more after I get home of all the projects I did. Interested to hear what ya think of my projects.

For now, off to go ski and up my natural Endorphins for happiness 😊

Stay safe all, relaxe and realize that to quote @Robert Hall the glass is neither half full or half empty, it just might not exist at all. Only you put the limits on what you achieve in life!

20210131_073930.jpg

• Agree 2

Snowy and 32 now...this weather definitely has me dreaming of trips I want to take once the world gets to a 'new normal' and I feel like getting on a plane again (2022? 2023?).    I want to take a couple vacations to places I've lived before...

Want to go to Denver...see friends, see some of my favorite places..go up in the mountains.

And I want to visit Marathon, Florida and the Florida Keys..see my old neighborhood, visit old friends...enjoy the sunsets.

In the short term, I'm getting psyched up for my new job that starts Feb 8th.  New technologies, new company, new adventures in WFH.   

1da32e09c1497a907cda4479049e6b2b-denver.jpg

x033x-Sunset-Grille-Raw-Bar-Seven-Mile-Bridge-Marathon-Florida-Keys.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

You continue to be wrong on these two points.  I will have YOU know, I just got a new flip phone.

And you continue to prove my points (on your assumption that you're right, that you're not the actual "glass half empty" type, and your choice of tech). Congrats. It's a nice addition to being accused of being trans-phobic (with good reason).

There's an old saying that applies here. If there are 49 people in the room with you, having a discussion, and 48 of them say that you're wrong, guess what? You're wrong.

11 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I just got a new flip phone.

Yet you go through cars like they are underwear on a 15 year old boy.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

As for the flip phone, I don't like it.  My old one was an LG and it was perfectly reliable for the 5+ yerrs I had it, with a battery that gave me freedom from the cord for a week at a time.

New one needs charged after only 3 days, I am still struggling to keep up with that harried schedule, it's just like owning an EV, you never know what you're going to get, range-wise.  Barra thinks we'll get used to it and learn to love it though.

Or else.

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

As for the flip phone, I don't like it.  My old one was an LG and it was perfectly reliable for the 5+ yerrs I had it, with a battery that gave me freedom from the cord for a week at a time.

New one needs charged after only 3 days, I am still struggling to keep up with that harried schedule, it's just like owning an EV, you never know what you're going to get, range-wise.  Barra thinks we'll get used to it and learn to love it though.

Or else.

I am saying this to be helpful and not hurtful but honest to God I think you need to talk to a mental health professional and have a serious check for some form of Clinical depression.

Depression is nothing to be ashamed of but like any illness needs to be addressed with medication and/or therapy with a good therapist.

I am saying this out of brotherly love and not sarcasm. Get help dude.

Your employer may even have ab Employee Assistance program to get you started.

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, ocnblu said:

144516038_2731095227201082_1167976806775701391_n.jpg

This I like.  Some big time Parthenon action going on at its grille, which is interesting, but the C pillar and the landau roof are only "slightly" on the thick side.  This Riv has to be given credit for venturing out onto its own, so to speak, and not scabbing onto the obscure "safety" of sharing a LeSabre platform and powertrain as it did in its previous iteration.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

1da32e09c1497a907cda4479049e6b2b-denver.jpg

x033x-Sunset-Grille-Raw-Bar-Seven-Mile-Bridge-Marathon-Florida-Keys.jpg

Love that view of Denver.  I like it more when the trees are greener and the photos feature City Park and its castle-like building in the foreground.  Also, I'm thinking that photographers work their magic with the zoom feature to pull in the Front Range beyond and make it look closer than it really is.

Love any view of the long bridges on US 1 on the Florida Keys and all that warm, turquoise water.  Haven't been south of Miami for a very long time.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

??? wut...

I seriously think you might be suffering from clinical depression. Am not a mental health professional. Suggest seriously you talk with someone who is.

Out of brotherly concern.

26 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

This I like.  Some big time Parthenon action going on at its grille, which is interesting, but the C pillar and the landau roof are only "slightly" on the thick side.  This Riv has to be given credit for venturing out onto its own, so to speak, and not scabbing onto the obscure "safety" of sharing a LeSabre platform and powertrain as it did in its previous iteration.

I have a bit of a fetish for these. Really liked them back in the day.

20 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Love that view of Denver.  I like it more when the trees are greener and the photos feature City Park and its castle-like building in the foreground.  Also, I'm thinking that photographers work their magic with the zoom feature to pull in the Front Range beyond and make it look closer than it really is.

Love any view of the long bridges on US 1 on the Florida Keys and all that warm, turquoise water.  Haven't been south of Miami for a very long time.

Going back down to Miami and points south is on my bucket list. Been to Fort lauderdale and Palm Beach...but haven't seen Miami for 20 years.

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

Rivieras of that time (1978-84) shared a platform with the Olds Toronado, the last of which died in 1990.  The shorter Rivieras were around from 1985-91.

• Agree 2

Lease end time on the Chrysler van.

Looking at new 2021 Pacifica AWD. Lots of nice upgrades, particularly on interiors including a new console.   Also considering but really not excited about, Traverse, Enclave, Blazer.  Only giving them shade because its GM Card top off month.  Funny thing is even with the top offs, the GM stuff is never the best deal.  The XT6 I drove recently was nice, but its out of budget.  In general I am rolling kind of anti-GM these days.

Had a thought or two about an Explorer, but they are cheap inside, I wasn't a fan of how it drove and it's gotten some teething pains coming out of the gate with the new design.

May look at 2022 Acura MDX when it hits the showrooms this week.  The center console looks to have spoiled what may otherwise be an interesting vehicle.

If i extend the lease I am told the new Grand Cherokee L will be available in a few months, but sales guy said the first ones out are almost all going to be top trim level versions.  It looks nice but dimensionally its as large as a Traverse with not near as much interior space.

2021 Durango has massive improvements inside that may make it a big dark horse, if it saved $$$.  Otherwise, I've never been a fan.

VW Atlas or Cross Sport.  Maybe last resort if a great deal were there.

No intent to look at the overhyped Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride.

Used low mile Ford Flexes are really great deals these days.

May buy out current van, extend the lease also.  

Never been less excited about vehicle shopping in my life.  Maybe because getting over Covid and my lethargy makes me not want to do much of anything.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

Looking at new 2021 Pacifica AWD. Lots of nice upgrades, particularly on interiors including a new console.   Also considering but really not excited about, Traverse, Enclave, Blazer.  Only giving them shade because its GM Card top off month.  Funny thing is even with the top offs, the GM stuff is never the best deal.  The XT6 I drove recently was nice, but its out of budget.  In general I am rolling kind of anti-GM these days.

Had a thought or two about an Explorer, but they are cheap inside, I wasn't a fan of how it drove and it's gotten some teething pains coming out of the gate with the new design.

May look at 2022 Acura MDX when it hits the showrooms this week.  The center console looks to have spoiled what may otherwise be an interesting vehicle.

If i extend the lease I am told the new Grand Cherokee L will be available in a few months, but sales guy said the first ones out are almost all going to be top trim level versions.  It looks nice but dimensionally its as large as a Traverse with not near as much interior space.

2021 Durango has massive improvements inside that may make it a big dark horse, if it saved $$$.  Otherwise, I've never been a fan.

Never been less excited about vehicle shopping in my life.  Maybe because getting over Covid and my lethargy makes me not want to do much of anything.

I do like the new Vans...look a bit edgier, if I can say that about a minivan.....

There are some choices out there...but nothing really stands out. Saw a new Bronco, felt a bit meh about it. But I think I need to really look one over at the dealership to decide....

Chances are if I’m not screwed over by the bad OC on the Equinox, we probably will keep that. If for no other reason as an extra car, mine, or my son’s ride...

Kinda a bit that way myself. Think I need warmth, and a chance to work on my cars- and way less social media and politics.....

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

I think this looks promising. 

3 hours ago, daves87rs said:

I do like the new Vans...look a bit edgier, if I can say that about a minivan.....

There are some choices out there...but nothing really stands out. Saw a new Bronco, felt a bit meh about it. But I think I need to really look one over at the dealership to decide....

Chances are if I’m not screwed over by the bad OC on the Equinox, we probably will keep that. If for no other reason as an extra car, mine, or my son’s ride...

Kinda a bit that way myself. Think I need warmth, and a chance to work on my cars- and way less social media and politics.....

The full size Bronco will be much nicer. But pricey. Totally killed my desire to own a Wrangler....well almost. 

7 hours ago, regfootball said:

Disagree on Palisade and Telluride, think they are excellent products. 

Pacifica is amazing, we have had a ton as rentals for debate trips here at the university where I work. 

Pickup truck is hard to go wrong with though. Love everything in the midsize segment, except the Honda has an unreliable 9 speed automatic. 

10 hours ago, ocnblu said:

145100886_10224692156596333_3971264628884376663_o.jpg

This was such an awesome forward looking car for its era. Love the pic!

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

145037122_10157951716848364_8018551690144042240_o.jpg

Honest to god I wish I ahd spent the money to buy Camino's wagon of the same vintage when he was selling it. Strong upvote from me here. 

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1

https://www.trucks.com/2021/02/01/electric-mail-trucks-make-sense/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=popup&utm_content=ram

workhorse.hackney-USPS-prototype.jpg

All the frustrated Workhorse Group investors and others watching the U.S. Postal Service drag out its decision about what vehicles to purchase to replace its aging mail delivery truck fleet should be watching the first actions of the Biden administration carefully.

Workhorse, a tiny, unprofitable electric delivery van and truck company based in Ohio, is one of three teams competing for at least a slice of what’s expected to be well over $6 billion in orders. It is competing against teams that include mature automakers such as Ford offering internal combustion vehicles. Investors are counting on a giant Postal Service contract to launch the company. But constant delays in the program have dampened their hopes. 

More at link

• Agree 1

OK, Yesterday was a long day for me, a bit tiring, but so worth it as my Endorphins are running high. Came home and made dinner, afterwards in cleaning up, I just crashed. As such, I will start by posting my projects I did.

Friday, I finished up building my mobile dirt bin so that I can pour all my pot soil into it, then re-vitalize it for use in the spring again. So pictures are in completed product to the start of my lumber pile.

20210128_164308.jpg20210123_142927.jpg20210128_151423.jpg20210128_142013.jpg20210123_143024.jpg20210123_142951.jpg20210123_143050.jpg20210123_143121.jpg20210123_143134.jpg

Second Project was Saturday where I spent the day at my sisters house. Installed two wall mounts, then did in-wall wiring to have it very clean.

First TV was a 55" Samsung for her workout room.

20210130_120544.jpg

Second TV was Samsung's Q80 76" TV in her Great Room with sound bar floating. Also did the in wall wiring and electrical. Both TVs are Hardwired Gigabit ethernet back to her switch in her laundry room where the core switch I installed and connected to her private modem and out to the internet.

20210130_175909.jpg

• Agree 3

Sunday was as always a day for my own sanity, skiing at Steven's Pass Ski Resort. Great way to increase the endorphins and be happy. My glass is always half full and on days like ski day, no glass exists as all is full of energy and happiness.

Got there, we have great snow fall so far, way taller than the auto.

20210131_073943.jpg

@A Horse With No Name Been seeing allot of these here at the resort this year. Seems people love them for coming up and sleeping in them over the weekend.

20210131_085408.jpg

Stevens Pass has been doing a great job to enforce social distancing and keeping us all safe even in the bathrooms.

20210131_102912.jpg

Unfortunatly, it was a very foggy soupy day. So had to be extra careful to prevent hitting any trees and more importantly is to avoid running over any ski rats, aka kids as well as slow adults.

20210131_100413.jpg

20210131_092520.jpg20210131_102005.jpg20210131_100748.jpg20210131_100425.jpg20210131_100744.jpg20210131_100419.jpg20210131_112018.jpg20210131_102202.jpg20210131_112028.jpg

20210131_073930.jpg

20210131_101208.jpg

• Agree 1

Got a bit of snow overnight, still coming down intermittently.  But we got off pretty mildly compared to areas further east I believe.   Neighbors appear to have a GMC Terrain in their driveway that I hadn't noticed before. 

IMG-4866.jpg

IMG-4868.jpg

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Rivieras of that time (1978-84) shared a platform with the Olds Toronado, the last of which died in 1990.  The shorter Rivieras were around from 1985-91.

I did not like the short, short Riviera.  It didn't look like a lot of bang for the buck. They rectified the issue and cleaned it up a few years later.  The version available in '92 looked plenty fine.

A parallel analogy holds for the Toronado.

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

IMG-4866.jpg

Looks like those ranch homes have some "ranch dressing."

12 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Yeah- Jersey getting hammered. I hate it. 

CED72574-0D51-49D8-9D6F-C26826272E8D.jpeg

I notice the kink in the C pillar more than I notice the snow!  But that's just me.  As long as it's reliable. 

And, like the slogan under Gov. Jim Florio once said, "New Jersey & you ... perfect together."

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, David said:

OK, Yesterday was a long day for me, a bit tiring, but so worth it as my Endorphins are running high. Came home and made dinner, afterwards in cleaning up, I just crashed. As such, I will start by posting my projects I did.

Friday, I finished up building my mobile dirt bin so that I can pour all my pot soil into it, then re-vitalize it for use in the spring again. So pictures are in completed product to the start of my lumber pile.

20210128_164308.jpg20210123_142927.jpg20210128_151423.jpg20210128_142013.jpg20210123_143024.jpg20210123_142951.jpg20210123_143050.jpg20210123_143121.jpg20210123_143134.jpg

Second Project was Saturday where I spent the day at my sisters house. Installed two wall mounts, then did in-wall wiring to have it very clean.

First TV was a 55" Samsung for her workout room.

20210130_120544.jpg

Second TV was Samsung's Q80 76" TV in her Great Room with sound bar floating. Also did the in wall wiring and electrical. Both TVs are Hardwired Gigabit ethernet back to her switch in her laundry room where the core switch I installed and connected to her private modem and out to the internet.

20210130_175909.jpg

Anything woodworking related I love, thanks for the post. 

• Thanks 1

My random thought is this beautiful photo while looking to find the timing of peak color in Quebec.  This is the kind of stuff I dream of:

Laurentian-Mountains-5a7b31843de42300376

Too bad it doesn't indicate which town in the Laurentian region this is ...

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Looks like Balthy needs a bigger garage with all those vehicles out in the snow...

Or a Winter home in Tennesee.

10 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

144707630_10222320412473267_6044306315104404432_n.jpg

I love it!

19 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

1954 Lincoln Capri

145276697_10224519531593139_5855148417748389626_o.jpg

I really have a soft spot for the 49-54 era of American cars. Thanks for this pic.....love it!

45 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Snow day, home from work.  Bored silly.

I seldom get bored. I have so many proejcts going in my wood shop, so many books I want to read....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

When I see sh!t like this, it makes me wonder who, among well known C&G members, are candidates to attend Burning Man ... and who are not.

Ohhhh, I would love to go and be naked in the desert!

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

My random thought is this beautiful photo while looking to find the timing of peak color in Quebec.  This is the kind of stuff I dream of:

Laurentian-Mountains-5a7b31843de42300376

Too bad it doesn't indicate which town in the Laurentian region this is ...

Saint Sauveur, Quebec.

In between 3 ski slopes. Saint-Sauveur, Mont Gabriel and Olympia.

Saint Sauveur water park is at the Saint Sauveur mountain peak. 

Is the address if you wanna Google Map it. 

226 Rue Principale, Saint-Sauveur, QC J0R 1R0

I used to go skiing at Saint-Sauveur often enough.  The water park in the summer was a favorite too.  My friends and I only passed by that church once as we were exploring the town as the church itself is out of the way from the ski slopes.  It has quite a distinct presence and that is why I remembered it from the pic.  Fond memories came flooding back to me.  Thanks! 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1