Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

14 minutes ago, balthazar said:

If Chrysler is "all new" by being badge-engineered fiats or Peugeots, don't bother. You already F'd it up.

So totally agree with you. Going to be an interesting year to see what they do and show off.

• Agree 1

Seems everyone is changing to an online market place for shopping. Ford has anounced and launched their new Ford Market Place for shopping from the safety of your home.

Ford Launches Ford Blue Advantage Used-Vehicle Marketplace Allowing Customers to Shop Their Way with Added Peace of Mind | Ford Media Center

On another spectrum all together, Ford has jumped with both feet into Gaming with Rocket League Edition. Build and race your own design of Ford products.

image.png

Exclusive F-150 Rocket League Edition Set for Launch as Ford Blasts Further into Gaming with Psyonix Collaboration | Ford Media Center

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, balthazar said:

If Chrysler is "all new" by being badge-engineered fiats or Peugeots, don't bother. You already F'd it up.

You know what would really be phoqued up?

If Chrysler got neither a Fiat nor a Peugeot as a badge job, but an Opel.

But seriously speaking. For the near near future, ANY badge job from ANY make is better than the alternative for Chrysler the brand.  Chrysler has NO 3 models to sell, which at this point in time is as good as none.  

Stellantis CEO Tavares has to

1. give Chrysler some products to sell IMMEDIATLEY as Chrysler is starved to almost death

2. Which means badge engineering for the short term future. 

3. get an awesome marketing program in place for Chrysler to help sell the new badge engineered product. 

4. High end Peugeots would be ideal as Chrysler needs to maintain a high end appeal. High end Peugeots have what it takes for Chrysler to succeed. 

5. After and if this succeeds, the next generation platforms could be personalized for Chrysler. 

6. If it fails, Chrysler fails. But lets be honest, Chrysler is on borrowed time as we speak anyway. Stellantis does NOT have the time to engineer NEW product JUST for Chrysler. NEW product JUST for Chrysler will take 3 years at a minimum and Chrysler does NOT have 3 years of life left... 

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

But seriously speaking. For the near near future, ANY badge job from ANY make is better than the alternative for Chrysler the brand.  Chrysler has NO 3 models to sell, which at this point in time is as good as none.  

Know how many models alfa-rodeo has? 

The answer isn't a badge-job, the answer requires investment.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I understand this, but I also get what @oldshurst442 is saying, take the best of their top end brands and get them into the portfolio while you then invest in making things even better. I am sure they could take some top end platforms and stretch here, pull there and give is a Chrysler look so they have some product to sell as they look long term to create some even better American focused product.

If they build a New Charger, Challenger, then use what they build there to give it sheet metal tailored for Chrysler, but that still means at least 18 months at the shortest before a new product would be out, so in the short run to get some interest, keep sales going and people coming in the door seeing product, a few rebadges to hold them over in the short run.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, balthazar said:

And Alfa Romeo is as good as dead.  WITH new investment I might add. 

Chrysler is a forgotten brand.  Chrysler NEEDS product. ANY product at this juncture is better than waiting for new investment to come through. Chrysler might not have that kind of time to spare.  Barely over 100 000 sales in 2020 with stale, old news stuff.  The 300's last update was a decade ago.  The Charger at least has been kept fresh with all kinds of exciting updates and marketing appeal.    Pacifica and Grand Caravan. The latter is LITERALY a Dodge. Two minivans of a previous generation in a CUV/SUV world.  At least they are 4 generations NEWER than the 300... but still one generation going on two for 2021 behind in the REAL world...  All three Chrysler vehicles are in nearly extinct niches.    ANY product is a PLUS for Chrysler the brand. Couple that with great marketing that Chryco usually gets done and Chrysler is alive again.  

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, David said:

Many here will be happy to hear this, Stellantis has bailed on bringing Peugeot to the US at least for the next 10 years and instead will focus on putting money and R&D into putting new products into the Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and Jeep.

CEO Carlos Tavares has committed to re-inventing Chrysler with an all new product lineup. Watch for details.

Stellantis CEO Says Chrysler Will Get U.S.-Market Attention, Not Peugeot (caranddriver.com)

Peugeot has no compelling offerings... it'll just be another redundant brand. Let's put it this way... they can't even get Fiat a foot hold beyond the (very low quality) 500.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, David said:

Many here will be happy to hear this, Stellantis has bailed on bringing Peugeot to the US at least for the next 10 years and instead will focus on putting money and R&D into putting new products into the Chrysler, Dodge, Ram and Jeep.

CEO Carlos Tavares has committed to re-inventing Chrysler with an all new product lineup. Watch for details.

Stellantis CEO Says Chrysler Will Get U.S.-Market Attention, Not Peugeot (caranddriver.com)

It’s all talk with no money involved...yet. Sadly, I think money is going to be their issue.....

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 9.10.50 AM.png

55 Chevy is one of my all time favorite cars, love the 55 Pontiac also. But this one is especially sweet. 

5 hours ago, daves87rs said:

It’s all talk with no money involved...yet. Sadly, I think money is going to be their issue.....

...and developmental time frame. "Pull something out of your ass quickly...." is never a productive thought process when it comes to design or engeneering. 

8 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

Peugeot has no compelling offerings... it'll just be another redundant brand. Let's put it this way... they can't even get Fiat a foot hold beyond the (very low quality) 500.

For once I agree with you completely. Huge upvote from me. 

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Or quietly retiring from the competitive auto business while there is still time. Given the build quality, design, and moxie of the Euro divisions, maybe they can make playing cards. Or soup bowls. 

• Haha 1

On a totally non automotive front...maybe they can get a buzz....

Bees Love Cannabis! Researchers Discover Hemp Could Help Restore Bee Populations

https://returntonow.net/2020/02/11/bees-love-hemp-study/?fbclid=IwAR2B6p_v9hloHZTuTocvarZbm_fsTVusyzGH2sthDt74T6emjlRlz56lv2U

Bees apparently love Cannibus....

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Get something different. You'll only have a finite amount of vehicles in your lifetime. Try something new learn something new.

This philosophy is why I want a motorcycle. 

• Agree 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eames_Lounge_Chair

Image result for eames chair

I really want one. Wife is not so impressed.....

My friend Scott made this, over 800 pieces of wood, 13 inches wide, eight inches tall. For a charity auction. 

No photo description available.

May be an image of indoor

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eames_Lounge_Chair

Image result for eames chair

I really want one. Wife is not so impressed.....

My friend Scott made this, over 800 pieces of wood, 13 inches wide, eight inches tall. For a charity auction. 

Cool Wood Work on the Basket.

The chair, I like the looks of, more of a man chair I think. My brother in-law has one in his office and loves it, I tried it and adjusted it and could not get comfy. Truly a chair for certain body types I guess and not big Shrek's like me. :P 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Get something different. You'll only have a finite amount of vehicles in your lifetime. Try something new learn something new.

This philosophy is why I want a motorcycle. 

Ever had a Tricycle?

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

That’s some good looking food....

Ordered in, bought a few gifts, watched Josh Groban (yes, I survived 🙂 ) and had a happy wife for Valentines Day. Looks like we we be in most of the week...not one, but two snow storms on the way this week.......

6 hours ago, David said:

Snowing in Seattle and everyone not born here is freaking out. About a foot or so.

20210214_150029.jpg

That will be here later this week...will be my Equinox buried in this snow......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, David said:

Snowing in Seattle and everyone not born here is freaking out. About a foot or so.

20210214_150029.jpg

About to get it in Columbus also. Painful not seeing the SS in a heated garage. 

2 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Always liked the fuselage era Mopies...haven't seen a '69-70 Polara or Monaco in forever..

I did see a 1970 thunderbird out and about yesterday...decent shape.....18 degrees out. My wife and I took a five mile winter hike. 

Some wood turning for Monday. 

Not my work!

Flames, not just for that 34 Ford street rod...

• Agree 3

Spalted maple. I have two logs in the driveway to turn when I get time off Wednesday...not my work...but love this wood. 

Bought a stainless steel excercise bench for my wife. Got to the dudes shop to pick it up and he has half a Boxx 302, a real boss 302, on his wall. Tree fell on the car a few decades ago, this was a parts car for another Boss 302 he restored. He still has the motor, tranny, shock towers, and a bunch of parts. He is thinking about rebuilding the shell and putting this back on the road...

No description available.

More wood art...

May be an image of sculpture and outdoors

• Agree 3

Snow has been light so far here in the Cleveland area.  My driveway was clear yesterday except for the piles of snow and ice down the middle, still there with new snow down.  Supposed to get worse later today. 

637FB638-3743-4532-BB9F-F6AFB5FA5DDB.png

• Agree 3

Bison from my 5 mile winter hike yesterday....at Battelle darby Creek park...wife and I went...was beautiful...trails not busy though at 18 degrees. Wonder why?

May be an image of tree, grass and nature

Just now, Robert Hall said:

Snow has been light so far here in the Cleveland area.  My driveway was clear yesterday except for the piles of snow and ice down the middle, still there with new snow down.  Supposed to get worse later today. 

We are about to get hit. On snow removal duty here at work. 

May be an illustration of indoor

May be an illustration

May be an image of ocean, sky, nature and text

This photograph is by Julie Eiber. 

May be an image of nature and ocean

Moe wood art, unsure of who carved these or who took the photograph. 

May be an image of 2 people and woodwork

• Agree 3

@A Horse With No Name We started a reorganization project as we convert the family room into our workout room and get the wife's hobby stuff organized, had the garage bay filled and working it when the storm hit. I agree, was sad to see my SS baby sitting in the snow. :( 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 8.06.34 PM.png

Perfect, for the car lover and woodworker in me. 

7 minutes ago, David said:

@A Horse With No Name We started a reorganization project as we convert the family room into our workout room and get the wife's hobby stuff organized, had the garage bay filled and working it when the storm hit. I agree, was sad to see my SS baby sitting in the snow. :( 

It needs a good claybar and some carnuba after that...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Yep, we got like 2 inches last night. Have to be out later...not looking forward to that!

• Agree 1

May be an image of car

Neat pic ofr old machinist lathe...old wagon. What model and year car is this?

Oliver scroll saw, large...No photo description available.

Being towed home behind a Chevy Silverado...

May be an image of outdoors

Owned by Chad Stoughtenger....

My dad's first car was a 1950 Studebaker...

Well here is the latest from Jaguar Land Rover. Pretty much ICE is dead by the end of this decade for them.

You can watch their video and read all the details, but this is the bullet list of what is happening:

• New global strategy – Reimagine – announced for the British company under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer, Thierry Bolloré
  • A sustainability-rich reimagination of modern luxury, unique customer experiences, and positive societal impact
  • Start of journey to become a net zero carbon business by 2039
  • Reimagination of Jaguar as an all-electric luxury brand from 2025 to ‘realize its unique potential’
  • In the next five years, Land Rover will welcome six pure electric variants as it continues to be the world leader of luxury SUVs
  • All Jaguar and Land Rover nameplates to be available in pure electric form by end of the decade; first all-electric Land Rover model in 2024
  • Clean-hydrogen fuel-cell power being developed in preparation for future demand
  • Streamlined structure to deliver greater agility and promote an efficiency of focus
  • Global manufacturing and assembly footprint to be retained, rightsized, repurposed and reorganized
  • Collaborations and knowledge-sharing with industry leaders, in particular from within the wider Tata Group will allow the company to explore potential synergies on clean energy, connected services, data and software development leadership
  • On a path towards double-digit EBIT margin and positive cash flow, with an ambition to achieve positive cash net-of-debt by 2025 with a value creation approach delivering quality and profit-over-volume

JAGUAR LAND ROVER REIMAGINES THE FUTURE OF MODERN LUXURY BY DESIGN | JLR Corporate Homepage International

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2