Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Random Thoughts Thread

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

LoL...as an aside, been watching a bunch of Jeff Bridges films recently...  watched 'Against All Odds', 'Jagged Edge', 'Blown Away', 'Arlington Road', 'RIPD', and 'Hell or High Water'... great actor, been a fan since the 80s..

Been looking for some good movies to watch with my wife, thanks for the inspiration. 

17 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Incorrect.  There would be no upvote from me on any politically charged post.

In this you are consistant and have my respect. 

4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Funny. I was just watching The Big Lebowski the other night. Love Bridges in that!

I would concur. 

• Agree 1

Breaking news, Mercedes has confirmed the all new 2022 C-Class will only come with a range of 4 banger enginers, the C63 is dead and will not have a V8 as the 2021 version has. EV and Hybrid will make up the difference.

Debut of the 2022 C-Class auto's options will show up on February 23rd at 2pm European time, 8am NY tim and 5 am LA time.

Mercedes-Benz explains why the next C-Class is downsizing | Autoblog

2 hours ago, David said:

So the weekend was a comfort food night with left overs. 😋

Left over for Sunday dinner homemade mac n cheese with Havarti cheese. 

20210220_173203.jpg

Saturday night was BBQ chicken sandwiches with the mac n cheese.

20210220_173041.jpg

The process:

Cooked the bacon

20210220_165335.jpg

Then made a bacon roux.

20210220_165340.jpg

Then building up the base of the sauce with seasoning.

20210220_170751.jpg

Pasta is in as this is a one pot mac n cheese.

20210220_171352.jpg

Stirring in the 4 cups of shredded Havarti Cheese.

20210220_171611.jpg

Bacon time, but kept some out for garnishment on top.

20210220_171731.jpg

Time to slowly stir it all together and let the pasta cook.

Now that sounds like dinner......

• Thanks 1

OUCH 150 years of toxic legacy of Fossil Fuels has begun in the decade long project of cleaning up a Philadelphia refinery.

Eventually they hope to build office space, warehouse space and more on the old refinery site.

The company that bought the 1,400 acre site from the bankruptcy courts says it will take 4 years to remove all the Asbestos first. Once that is done, they can then recycle the bulk of the plant as there is enough steel pipe to reach to Florida if laid out.

This site began in 1870 as a refinery, 100 years before the EPA was formed and any formal rules on spills, clean up etc. was created. As such they have to deal with removal of 3,000 tanks of liquid waste along with over 100 buildings and other infrastructure. According to documents attained, there is multiple rail cars buried on the property containing hazardous waste as well as pools of hazards such as benzene and other deadly toxic in the ground.

The company is also considering a residential home section, hotel and restaurants on the site. They expect a 10 to 15 year cleanup of the site before any construction can begin.

All I can say is this, Does anyone remember the Love Canal mess? The Love Canal Tragedy | About EPA | US EPA

image.png

PES Refinery toxic industrial waste cleanup a monumental task | Autoblog

• Sad 2

Breaking News: Ford recalling all 2021 Bronco's for rear Jiggly Suspension modules.

Seems someone in the Mexico Hermosillo plant did not secure the rear suspension module to the sub-frame properly and as such can cause the auto to loose stability. The missing bolt or loose bolt will be addressed as they inspect all 21,504 built to date.

2021 Ford Bronco Sports Called Back for Jiggly Suspension Modules - The Truth About Cars

Breaking News: Honda CEO is stepping down as the head of their R&D will take over Honda and lead it into the future as they change over to an EV auto company. The new CEO Toshihiro Mibe will lead the auto company as they plan to sell globally the majority of all auto's as EV's by 2030 with a start of partnering with GM using their Ultium battery and power train system to build new global EV's. 

Quote: 

From Honda:

During the approximately six years since he ascended to the presidency in 2015, in the face of a period of great transformation of the company’s business environment, Hachigo took the initiative and formulated Honda’s 2030 Vision to enable Honda to become “a company society wants to exist” into the future. For the fulfilment of the company’s 2030 Vision statement — “to serve people worldwide with the joy of expanding their life’s potential” — Hachigo led Team Honda on a course to “solidify existing businesses” and “prepare for future growth.” Under Hachigo’s leadership, Honda has increased efficiency and strengthened its operating structure in the areas of production and product development. Moreover, by pursuing the “selection and concentration” of its corporate resources on a global basis, a solid foundation for the future was established, preparing Honda to take off in the new era.

Honda CEO Stepping Down, R&D Head Stepping Up - The Truth About Cars

Mercedes Confirmation: The EQC electric SUV which was built for the US market will now not come here even though it is built and sold in Europe and China. The EQS is the first electric sedan that will go on sale later this year in the US as it is built on Mercedes all new electric platform. As such, it would tend to imply that the next generation EQC suv will be moved to this new electric platform and then come here to the US for sale.

Mercedes Cancels US Launch of EQC Electric SUV Over ‘Market Developments’ (thedrive.com)

Personal thought that I am sure will piss some off and it is based on two things, first is implementation of technology and the second is on competence to drive safely which is a privilege earned.

Mercedes Benz has implemented AUTO ON HIGHBEAMS and I had the first chance to experience this driving early up the pass and coming back down yesterday. I also without knowing it at the time but last weekend when we had our local snow storm at sea level, I had seen a new MB SUV driving down Hwy 99 and it kept flicking on and off at various time the high beams. I thought they were trying to get ahold of the person in front of them, but now realize it was the auto feature after seeing multiple new MB SUV's up on Stevens pass doing this same thing.

It would seem this safety feature has a hard time telling the difference between heavy snow fall and auto's in front of the SUV. It was very clear as I passed these auto's as I was in the left lane and they were in the right looking at the auto's in front of them, the people were getting pissed about the flickering high beam light.

As such this brought up the thought of is it safe for people to be driving at night if they cannot see well with regular lights on without turning on the high beams?

This then brings me to my second observations which is based on Multi-Cultural observation that we have plenty of older people who seem to no longer remember well how to drive. From pulling out into traffic, to right turns with a yield sign to which lane on the freeway they should be in at what speed.

I am 53, but I am now thinking starting at age 50 we need to have some basic testing done every 3 to 5 years to insure the person can properly see at night, properly respond to traffic situations, understand the basics of how to do your free right turn, how to use a traffic circle, yield signage, etc.

Driving is a privilege we earn, not a right and the fact that we drive auto's that can easily kill/harm people makes me think of the need to ensure the people driving can properly operate their auto safely.

Thoughts on the auto on high beams and testing of driver knowledge and skills to keep ones licenses?

• Agree 1

I see mass testing every 3-5 yrs as you suggest to be too arduous and costly- I doubt statistics support a considerable degradation of skill at age 50. Testing at 75 years old may have merit... but I think a 'means' methodology based on traffic infractions would also need to be considered. Plenty of people drive well into their 90s with zero issues, so forcing them to repeat competency testing every 3 years for 45 years is way beyond the reasonable. Gov't need to sit down for a while.

The auto-on hi-beams toggling erratically in the snow very likely were reading reflection off falling snow, confusing the technology. Therefore, it actually becomes a safety HAZARD and not ready for release to the public. It needs to be withdrawn until a future version can possibly work around that, or upgraded with an 'automatic disable' when cameras see it's snowing or raining too hard.

Headlights in general are tip-toeing over the line in brightness; it's GREAT for the driver who can see a 2/3rds of a mile down the road, but it's terrible for oncoming drivers. More is not always better, plus you have to ask if leading edge headlight brightness encourages excessive confidence/speed in disproportion of other traffic/drivers. It's well documented that differences in speed rather than merely speed is the cause of more incidents on the road. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @balthazar some valid points you bring up. I for one am an odd duck in that I like to check up on the driving school changes of what is being taught and how it changes driving here, plenty of changes since I took driving school and that is one reason I thought 50 might be a good starting point. I do understand the added cost and time to validate the knowledge and skills, but I think also we can do this via a virtual simulator much like how we have airplane simulators for pilots. Maybe every 5 years as humans age, our body's slow down in response, eye's slow down in how they respond to bright lights as well as movement, health issues, etc. 

Yes I agree we have had some very healthy old folks driving into their 90's and yet I would question they can react fast enough to various situations.

My own dad is 80 and I am pushing to pull his drivers license as he should not be driving. He does not see that his vision is bad especially at night and he does not respond to peripheral stimulation that needs being addressed such as humans stepping off a side walk when looking ahead. 

I know driving is a form of freedom, but everyone tends to slow down and not respond as well as others especially when they get older.

Interesting thought, I wonder if states have ever thought of doing this.

Breaking news Cooper Tires is no more as a single independent tire company. They are being bought out by Goodyear Tire.

News says this will cement Goodyear's #1 position in the US and raise them up Doubling their presence in China as Auto sales are picking up.

Goodyear Agrees to Buy Cooper Tire for About $2.8 Billion (msn.com)

• Agree 1

On 2/21/2021 at 6:18 AM, ocnblu said:

I know this is totally random, but it just dawned on me after seeing a silver one out on a test drive from a local dealer, the Mach-E front end with body-color "grille" reminds me of something uncircumcised with the tip pushing through.  The ones with blacked-out or otherwise contrasting color in the "grille" area don't, imho.  It is up to the reader's perspective whether that is a good or bad thing, coming from ocn ~

2021-ford-mustang-mach-e_100776390_h.jpg

they could have literally replaced the current Ford Edge with this design, and put a gas motor in it.  Would sell well.

I don't mind the Mach E but the marketplace adopting electrics will be slow.  

• Agree 2

Dialogue has commenced, but the Cherokee Tribe seem pretty set on having Jeep Drop the name.

Chief of Cherokee Nation asks Jeep to stop using tribe's name (msn.com)

I can see Jeep as they bring out their Hybrid and then EV changing the name.

Texas should have done what Canada did back in 1998 to get some power on for people. Use Loco's to power the grid.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, David said:

Personal thought that I am sure will piss some off and it is based on two things, first is implementation of technology and the second is on competence to drive safely which is a privilege earned.

Mercedes Benz has implemented AUTO ON HIGHBEAMS and I had the first chance to experience this driving early up the pass and coming back down yesterday. I also without knowing it at the time but last weekend when we had our local snow storm at sea level, I had seen a new MB SUV driving down Hwy 99 and it kept flicking on and off at various time the high beams. I thought they were trying to get ahold of the person in front of them, but now realize it was the auto feature after seeing multiple new MB SUV's up on Stevens pass doing this same thing.

It would seem this safety feature has a hard time telling the difference between heavy snow fall and auto's in front of the SUV. It was very clear as I passed these auto's as I was in the left lane and they were in the right looking at the auto's in front of them, the people were getting pissed about the flickering high beam light.

As such this brought up the thought of is it safe for people to be driving at night if they cannot see well with regular lights on without turning on the high beams?

This then brings me to my second observations which is based on Multi-Cultural observation that we have plenty of older people who seem to no longer remember well how to drive. From pulling out into traffic, to right turns with a yield sign to which lane on the freeway they should be in at what speed.

I am 53, but I am now thinking starting at age 50 we need to have some basic testing done every 3 to 5 years to insure the person can properly see at night, properly respond to traffic situations, understand the basics of how to do your free right turn, how to use a traffic circle, yield signage, etc.

Driving is a privilege we earn, not a right and the fact that we drive auto's that can easily kill/harm people makes me think of the need to ensure the people driving can properly operate their auto safely.

Thoughts on the auto on high beams and testing of driver knowledge and skills to keep ones licenses?

Bottom line here-

If you can’t afford to maintain one- you shouldn’t have one.

If you can’t prove you can drive (whether every 3-5 years tested or getting a ticket), you lose that privilege....

I’m simply tired of all the stupid on the road.......

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, David said:

Breaking news Cooper Tires is no more as a single independent tire company. They are being bought out by Goodyear Tire.

News says this will cement Goodyear's #1 position in the US and raise them up Doubling their presence in China as Auto sales are picking up.

Goodyear Agrees to Buy Cooper Tire for About $2.8 Billion (msn.com)

The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Yes I agree we have had some very healthy old folks driving into their 90's and yet I would question they can react fast enough to various situations.

The very real issue is you'd be looking at age discrimination lawsuits in trying to implement something like that.

46 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

I’m simply tired of all the stupid on the road.......

Hope you're ready for 'all the stupid' being able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds!!

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The very real issue is you'd be looking at age discrimination lawsuits in trying to implement something like that.

In Quebec, Im not sure about the age, but when a person reaches 70 years old, they need to redo their driver's test. Eyesight, reaction time etc.  

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/road-safety/clienteles/seniors/health-and-safety/

You are required to undergo a medical examination and a vision test six months prior to your 75th and 80th birthdays, and every two years thereafter. We will send you an explanatory letter along with the forms to be completed and signed by the appropriate health care professionals. Return the forms to us once they have been completed and signed.

But we are not a litigious society up here...  Maybe in the US this type of thing will not pass law so easily. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Dialogue has commenced, but the Cherokee Tribe seem pretty set on having Jeep Drop the name.

Chief of Cherokee Nation asks Jeep to stop using tribe's name (msn.com)

Yup...

With Washington's NFL team and MLB's Cleveland team and with all else...I am not surprised.  Nor am I mad about it.  

'Tis the times we live in.    (But in no way am I saying that people shouldnt feel offended either. If that is how they feel, then THAT is how they feel...who am I to tell them otherwise?  And if they no longer want their heritage to be stereotyped that way for commercial purposes, then yeah...I AGREE with them!)  

Vision and serious medical issues are one thing, but neither is a driving skills test. 

According to hard data, 80+ drivers are slightly BETTER than 20-24 yr olds AND 25-29 yr olds as far as the 'all crashes' AND 'injury' crash rates goes. When you come to fatal crashes, 80+ is on par with 16-17 yr olds.

What are we going to do about that - gotta raise the age to obtain a drivers license...

Just now, balthazar said:

Right- same here in the States, basically. Provisional license at 16, full driver's at 17 (I am sure it varies by state).

If they're causing the most incidents/injuries & deaths, perhaps that needs to be PL at 18 and full DL at 19.

I mean... if we're 'after the problem' here... ;)

And its more complicated than that in Quebec...

Its more staggered. Full license is obtained at 25 years old.    But I got the feeling that you understood where I was going with this.   I wanted to show you that yeah...in Quebec, we have pushed forward the age of driving...to a sense, right?   I mean, teenaged Quebecois could start to learn to drive at 16, staggered license up until 25...

Edumacation is the key though if we are 'after the problem'.  

In Quebec, we actually DO a good job in TEACHING the new drivers the RULES of the road.  In theory FOR the theory of driving.

But for the ACTUAL driving part, we fail as hard as anybody else so yeah...I agree with your sentiment 100% about young folk and old folk and all that... 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Hope you're ready for 'all the stupid' being able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds!!

I do not see an age discrimination lawsuit by having clear defined requirements of being able to drive and control your auto. I see no reason to not use the same test the teens have to take to insure you are still able to safely drive an auto.

I agree with so many EVs going 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, the auto body shops will be kept busy especially in winter.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

The potential legal problem isn't in testing drivers at a certain age, it's testing ONLY drivers of a certain age (vs. testing them all). Within the realm of licensed driving, that's an age-based 'discrimination'. Potentially.

1 hour ago, David said:

with so many EVs going 0 to 60 in 3 seconds, the auto body shops will be kept busy especially in winter.

Well, unless the owners are dead and don't need their car repaired.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

The potential legal problem isn't in testing drivers at a certain age, it's testing ONLY drivers of a certain age (vs. testing them all). Within the realm of licensed driving, that's an age-based 'discrimination'. Potentially.

Well, unless the owners are dead and don't need their car repaired.

Again, a privilege, not a right. Testing should happen after a certain age. If there is such a thing as too young to drive, there damn sure is such a thing as too old. Reflexes dull over time and that is a fact, for starters. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Again, a privilege, not a right. Testing should happen after a certain age. If there is such a thing as too young to drive, there damn sure is such a thing as too old. Reflexes dull over time and that is a fact, for starters. 

Agree completely. 

May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'HEY YOU GUYS!'

• Agree 1

Privilege/right is immaterial. Employment isn't a guaranteed right, but you can’t have different age-related treatments of employees. 
I don’t disagree about ability degradation, but how that’s addressed is the question. And again I point to 16-17 yr old drivers, the worst of all age groups and fresh out of edumacation; what’s the suggestion there to address tje carnage- test them every 6 months until they’re 20?

Edited by balthazar

8 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Privilege/right is immaterial. Employment isn't a guaranteed right, but you can’t have different age-related treatments of employees. 
I don’t disagree about ability degradation, but how that’s addressed is the question. And again I point to 16-17 yr old drivers, the worst of all age groups and fresh out of edumacation; what’s the suggestion there to address tje carnage- test them every 6 months until they’re 20?

Except there laws regarding employment practices. The same does not exist for driving privileges. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Than to make everyone a better driver, then it would make sense to require every 5 yrs a drivers test of all ages if we are to remove age as an issue and improve driver skills.

I would also then say we need a national standard on drivers skill and testing and I would want to incorporate defensive driving skills for Ice, Snow, Water (hydro planning) as there is far too many that are on a frost covered road, slip a little and freak out as they truly do not know how to respond. 

Better Safety for all then. Yes this makes it more expensive to learn to drive, but then a privilege earned is never cheap.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Except there laws regarding employment practices. The same does not exist for driving privileges. 

Right; there was discrimination, then there were lawsuits / anti-discrimination laws, not the other way around.

Currently, there is no age-related onerous testing of a certain portion of approved/licensed drivers. 

I'm merely prognosticating on the litigious nature of people and the current times we live in. I see all sorts of outcry if a '75-yr old and older regular driving skills test' is implemented.

12 minutes ago, David said:

I would also then say we need a national standard on drivers skill and testing and I would want to incorporate defensive driving skills for Ice, Snow,

Totally disagree WRT a national testing standard. Unworkable. Now you're talking -say- having southern FL drivers in some sort of winter-environment test facility and the like. States have all sorts of different traffic laws & standards; you'd have to nationalize traffic laws, too.

Last thing we need in the guise of improvement is the federal gov't's grubby hands in the matter.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Right; there was discrimination, then there were lawsuits / anti-discrimination laws, not the other way around.

Currently, there is no age-related onerous testing of a certain portion of approved/licensed drivers. 

I'm merely prognosticating on the litigious nature of people and the current times we live in. I see all sorts of outcry if a '75-yr old and older regular driving skills test' is implemented.

Totally disagree WRT a national testing standard. Unworkable. Now you're talking -say- having southern FL drivers in some sort of winter-environment test facility and the like. States have all sorts of different traffic laws & standards; you'd have to nationalize traffic laws, too.

Last thing we need in the guise of improvement is the federal gov't's grubby hands in the matter.

BIIIIG difference between the lawsuits regarding discrimination in employment and ones that you propose could happen regarding driving privileges. Employment affects one person at a time. Driving affects that one person plus everyone else who has to share the road with them. And there does not have to be age related testing per say. Just test every so many years (5-7 perhaps) across the board. Sorry but given that the older you get, the slower your reflexes get, I don’t see how this is really even a debatable topic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David said:

Than to make everyone a better driver, then it would make sense to require every 5 yrs a drivers test of all ages if we are to remove age as an issue and improve driver skills.

I would also then say we need a national standard on drivers skill and testing and I would want to incorporate defensive driving skills for Ice, Snow, Water (hydro planning) as there is far too many that are on a frost covered road, slip a little and freak out as they truly do not know how to respond. 

Better Safety for all then. Yes this makes it more expensive to learn to drive, but then a privilege earned is never cheap.

If they can figure it out driving on the autobaun- we could bring it here. Many other countries around the world have better testing and evaluation of drivers than we do in the US.....

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

In other off topic discussion, this is actually a model of a human cell. Pretty cool. 

No photo description available.

Well this channel is called Random! :P 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Many other countries around the world have better testing and evaluation of drivers than we do in the US.....

Its NOT just the testing and evaluation.

Its also the actual 'how to' that is lacking. 

There is NO actual driver training.  What I mean by driver training, I LITERALLY mean driver training. There is no training on car control. Like what a police officer has to go through. And yes...THAT kind of rigorous driving training. Maybe not the  PIT maneuver, but teach drivers how to respond and drive in emergency situations. Teach them not to panic. Teach them how to understeer. How to oversteer. How to gain control back. How to brake hard. What to do when braking hard. In rain. On snow. On gravel. On clean dry tarmac.  And so forth. And by teaching them these skills, only then could the mindless dolts realize the IMPORTANCE of keeping FOCUSED when driving.  And who knows?   Maybe when these mindless dolts master the basics at the very least and at most, be   proficient in the hard skills of driving  maybe they will become enthusiastic about the whole driving culture...

But when driving schools across North America even fail to teach people to parallel park, what else do you expect on our roads?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

^ That may well be the best route to addressing the problem. Some it may be 'defeated' by technology, IE; over/understeer vs. traction control/ESC. ;)
I've always urged my sons to get out & slide around in the snow, to (safely) push their vehicles in braking, acceleration, limit of handing traction to get to know it. That's an even higher level of literal training vs. whatever vehicle you road test in. 
I believe commercial truckers have testing akin to what you're suggesting. My brother has a Mack tri-axle dump truck and moves his own equipment; his commercial license supersedes his regular license, and infractions committed on his personal vehicles are 'counted' as commercial offenses. It's a prime reason I believe the vast majority of HD truckers drive with such care (and rightly so). 

• Agree 2

On 2/22/2021 at 6:57 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

When I was a kid, MAD magazine had a cartoon about middle aged women replacing sex with food. I still have lots of sex, but my main cravings seem to be power tools and good books. 

There was one MAD magazine cover when I was young that everyone in my house laughed at, and a copy of it was even purchased.  It had the MAD magazine guy with the curly red hair and an irreverent prank involving a cartoon of Sophia Loren and her cleavage.  My parents even laughed at it.  I looked for that image to no avail.

loren_mansfield_better.jpg

But I found this one.  This is a little different.  I've seen this a lot as of late.  (That's Jayne Mansfield.)  It's difficult to infer what the possibilities might be here.

Main cravings - it's kind of perplexing when they become food, travel (even if sitting on an airplane and playing with the video monitor), and sleep ... a lot of quality sleep.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/22/2021 at 7:02 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'Hey Debbie? It's me, The Lord. SADANDUSEI ESS.COM Listen... You need to stop telling the doctor your health is in my hands. You're going to have to watch your carbs and get your A1C checked on the regular, ok?'

Artists and illustrators can't let go of this.  They fail to grasp that Jesus Christ was a man from the Middle East.  Instead, we have become conditioned to believe that he looked like someone who may have attended today's Burning Man festival.

• Haha 2