Random Thoughts Thread

Upset right now....not fond of being scammed. Had someone come to my door letting me know that my gas company was going to basically give discounts-just had to sign up. She was professional- being both busy and caught off guard- I believed her. Only to find I got and email “thanks for switching!” THIS after I asked three times if this was for my current company-which she said yes. So now I have a mess to clean up on Monday...pissed is an understatement!!!!

• Sad 6

That new Ford Maverick is shaping up to be pretty darn spiffy.  So many comments online asking for a regular cab from ppl who owned old-skool compact trucks.  Even a Supercab would suffice for me with a 6' bed.  I'm going out on a limb and predict the SuperCrew in the recent spyshots has a longer bed than a Rivian and maybe even a Hummer. 

The days when a pickup truck was judged by its work capacity were good days.

• Agree 2

Palm_Springs_Visitor_Center_Sideview-(re

Probably got gas here at least once when I had a newly minted driver's license and my friends and I were finding random places to go on road trips to spread our wings, just like this places is spreading its wing ... as the Palm Springs Visitors Center instead of as a 76 gas station.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

Les samedis de l'histoire – French America - Pointe-à-Callière | Montréal  Archaeology and History Complex

Mon Dieu, monsieur Grecque.  Je pense que je connais tous cets places dans toi photos, aussi dans les photos vielles.  Je pense que ceci et dans le Vieux-Port, a cote' du musee "nouveau" Pointe-a-Calliere, n'est-ce pas?

I do this without looking at a translator.  Pardon any mistakes, given that I took only took it in high school.  I occasionally talk to myself in French just to keep it up.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

@trinacriabob

A couple of mistakes. But overall excellent.

Yes...  Pointe-à-Callière  

The founding site of Ville-Marie settlement that later became Montréal.

Montage du jour : Le Royal Insurance building et le Sailor's Institute -  Spacing Montreal

Spring flood, Royal Insurance building, Montreal, QC, abou… | Flickr

Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Archaeology and History Complex | Archéo-Québec

It is now, since 1992, a museum complex.  

About - Pointe-à-Callière | Montréal Archaeology and History Complex

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

I occasionally talk to myself in French just to keep it up.

I occasionally talk to myself...in one of the three languages I speak, usually English though, just to keep...sane.  No joke.   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

So far I watched about half this vid, a old timer rebuilding a HydraMatic. GM sold these units to many many other corporations/brands, and apparently they sometimes did modifications to suit their whims. This unit apparently is a Rolls Royce unit, and the video is sprinkled with periodic derogatory comments about the way Rolls chose to change things. 

Not sure I know how to time stamp vids, so go to 26:15 and watch that sequence for about 60 secs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Happy Sunday AND random thought:

Spring ahead ...

right back to bed.

I should have gone back to bed maybe...did a long hike with lots of up and down....feeling it a bit this morning. 

May be an image of car and road

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Mon Dieu, monsieur Grecque.  Je pense que je connais tous cets places dans toi photos, aussi dans les photos vielles.  Je pense que ceci et dans le Vieux-Port, a cote' du musee "nouveau" Pointe-a-Calliere, n'est-ce pas?

I do this without looking at a translator.  Pardon any mistakes, given that I took only took it in high school.  I occasionally talk to myself in French just to keep it up.

Given some of the stuff you have posted, I am surprised it is only sometimes that you find yourself talking to yourself...

(Ducks from thrown wrench...)

Happy Monday, Dude...

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

So far I watched about half this vid, a old timer rebuilding a HydraMatic. GM sold these units to many many other corporations/brands, and apparently they sometimes did modifications to suit their whims. This unit apparently is a Rolls Royce unit, and the video is sprinkled with periodic derogatory comments about the way Rolls chose to change things. 

Not sure I know how to time stamp vids, so go to 26:15 and watch that sequence for about 60 secs.

Good video, guys that can do transmissions are in a league of their own...especially guys who can do it well. 

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Not sure I know how to time stamp vids,

How to time stamp a video:

At the bottom of the video on youtube, there is the title of the video to the left. 

At the right, there are a few clickable links.    'Thumbs Up'  -   'Thumbs Down'  -   'Share'  -  'Save' 

We want to click on 'Share'

After clicking on 'Share', there is a small box to where we want to share the video at, time stamped if you will. 

We could pause the video where we want to share it at or we could type it manually.  Then we just copy/paste the link or click on the 'copy' link and voila!   We could now share a time stamped video.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Go home Jeep. You’re clearly drunk.

B0A69CAC-81B2-4679-BC63-37CE6D0BAE45.thumb.jpeg.b753b3dbc24a58944b77a31ea4be146e.jpeg

Aren't these to compete with Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons/XL, Expeditions/Max, Escalades, and Navigators though? 

Tahoe starts at 49k - Suburban starts at 51k

Yukon starts at 51k - XL starts at 60k

Escalade starts at 76k - ESV starts at 80k

Navigator starts at 76k - L starts at 85k

Yeah, after breaking it down it does seem considerably higher than its closest competition. 

On 3/13/2021 at 6:50 AM, ocnblu said:

That new Ford Maverick is shaping up to be pretty darn spiffy.  So many comments online asking for a regular cab from ppl who owned old-skool compact trucks.  Even a Supercab would suffice for me with a 6' bed.  I'm going out on a limb and predict the SuperCrew in the recent spyshots has a longer bed than a Rivian and maybe even a Hummer. 

The days when a pickup truck was judged by its work capacity were good days.

Have you not paid attention to the truck segment for the last 20 years? They one-up each other almost yearly on payload capacity and towing capacity along with added off-road models. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Go home Jeep. You’re clearly drunk.

B0A69CAC-81B2-4679-BC63-37CE6D0BAE45.thumb.jpeg.b753b3dbc24a58944b77a31ea4be146e.jpeg

They will probably get it...

59 Jeep, Patina, my kind of Jeep....not an 80 thousand dollar mall cruiser...

May be an image of outdoors and tree

May be an image of outdoors

• Agree 1

On 3/12/2021 at 11:47 PM, daves87rs said:

Upset right now....not fond of being scammed. Had someone come to my door letting me know that my gas company was going to basically give discounts-just had to sign up. She was professional- being both busy and caught off guard- I believed her. Only to find I got and email “thanks for switching!” THIS after I asked three times if this was for my current company-which she said yes. So now I have a mess to clean up on Monday...pissed is an understatement!!!!

Always fun when you can quote yourself... 😉  Was able to get of hold of both my company, and the “scam” company. My gas company put a nice block so that no one can change it but me. The other bit was that the other “company” called me as they were missing quite a bit of info. Needless to say I gave them a “kind” no and they will leave me alone....hopefully things will be good!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Aren't these to compete with Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons/XL, Expeditions/Max, Escalades, and Navigators though? 

Tahoe starts at 49k - Suburban starts at 51k

Yukon starts at 51k - XL starts at 60k

Escalade starts at 76k - ESV starts at 80k

Navigator starts at 76k - L starts at 85k

Yeah, after breaking it down it does seem considerably higher than its closest competition.

Yes but competing with both Tahoe/Expedition and Escalade/Navigator is not a good plan IMO. Jeep can go after the cheaper two but the luxury market is a whole ballgame and I cannot see anyone paying $105,995 for a Jeep anything. They may surprise me with that but I just don’t see it happening long term. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

Yes but competing with both Tahoe/Expedition and Escalade/Navigator is not a good plan IMO. Jeep can go after the cheaper two but the luxury market is a whole ballgame and I cannot see anyone paying $105,995 for a Jeep anything. They may surprise me with that but I just don’t see it happening long term. 

I just want them to stay in business long enough to make a market case for the New Full size Bronco, would be happy with that. Would not mind adding a Bronco to the fleet. 

Neat old truck with patina runs again...

16 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

isn't the "Grand" one the luxury one and the non-Grand the one to compete with the Tahoe/Expy? Or is the "Grand" the extended version ala Suburban/Max? 

I could be completely wrong. I haven't done much reading on it at all, mostly just looked at pictures of it. 

51 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

isn't the "Grand" one the luxury one and the non-Grand the one to compete with the Tahoe/Expy? Or is the "Grand" the extended version ala Suburban/Max? 

I could be completely wrong. I haven't done much reading on it at all, mostly just looked at pictures of it. 

My understanding is the Grand is the Suburban version over the Tahoe version, but then I can be wrong too, but that is how it appears to me.

58 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

There will be the Wagoneer vs Tahoe/Expy and Grand Wagoneer vs Suburban/Expy XL

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

My understanding is there is only 1 wheelbase.  Grand is luxury trim.  Closest GM analogy is Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are like Yukon and Yukon Denali. 

From another article 

Yes. Jeep plans to introduce a long-wheelbase Wagoneer to properly compete with its crosstown rivals' bigger siblings. And if the standard-length Wagoneer's size is anything to go by, then the long-wheelbase Jeep is sure to overshadow even the biggest of these big SUVs, the 226.9-inch-long Cadillac Escalade ESV.”

And the “Series III” is their absolute top trim level. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, at initial launch, though, the W and GW are only available in the shorter wheelbase.  I assume the LWB model will be call 'L' or 'XL'.   Though 'Megabeast' would work also. 

The W/GW wheelbase is 123, longer than the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade SWB models, so a LWB would probably be 130 or so?

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, at initial launch, though, the W and GW are only available in the shorter wheelbase.  I assume the LWB model will be call 'L' or 'XL'.   Though 'Megabeast' would work also. 

The W/GW wheelbase is 123, longer than the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade SWB models, so a LWB would probably be 130 or so?

Per the same article, the “grand” part of the Wagoneer will indicate the length. That’s my understanding of it but you are right that they may start it off that way. Seems a little silly to me if you’re going to have both wheelbases though. “Grand” would make much more sense for the bigger model IMO. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Per the same article, the “grand” part of the Wagoneer will indicate the length. That’s my understanding of it but you are right that they may start it off that way. Seems a little silly to me if you’re going to have both wheelbases though. “Grand” would make much more sense for the bigger model IMO. 

The launch video from Stellantis I saw did not make any mention of a longer wheelbase, and they both appeared the same.   Likewise for the Car & Driver articles on both.

Which article are you referencing?

Launch video:

Car & Driver articles:

https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/wagoneer

https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/grand-wagoneer

This article mentions that Motor Trend believes LWB versions of both could be coming later

https://www.motor1.com/news/494206/extra-long-jeep-wagoneer-coming/

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The launch video from Stellantis I saw did not make any mention of a longer wheelbase, and they both appeared the same.   Likewise for the Car & Driver articles on both.

Which article are you referencing?

Launch video:

Car & Driver articles:

https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/wagoneer

https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/grand-wagoneer

This article mentions that Motor Trend believes LWB versions of both could be coming later

https://www.motor1.com/news/494206/extra-long-jeep-wagoneer-coming/

It was an MT article but after rereading it, you are correct and my dyslexia is kicking my butt today lol. Still seems a strange naming strategy to me but I get why they did it since the "Grand" part used to represent the higher trim models of Wagoneers past.

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

There's no difference in wheelbase/body length between the Grand and non-.  The difference is in the features/engine.  The Wagoneer gets the 5.7L Hemi, the Grand gets the 6.4L Hemi.  The top of the line Grand Wagoneer easily competes with the Escalade.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Random throught(s):

Mask prices are coming down.  I have too much hand sanitizing lotion around.

Better start slathering it on every 2 to 3 hrs to sanitize yourself! ;)

34 minutes ago, daves87rs said:

Slightly disappointed right now with the Ford Maverick. Rumors I am hearing is that it is going to start pretty close to 30k, mostly as there are no plans for “base” models-mostly 4 door upleveled ones. I am guessing the plan is to run these with the Bronco Sport......

Due to inflation, 30K auto's seem to be the new 15K entery level auto of the past decades. I honestly would not be surprised to see 22,500 to 25,000 be your subcompact starting auto's due to all the electronics and safety requirements.

• Haha 1