Random Thoughts Thread

45 minutes ago, David said:

Amazing that some people can abuse an auto. Why have such a nice auto if you could not care less about taking care of it. Crazy.

A beautifully detailed late model Escalde rolls up to ones of the Lowes I frequent sometimes when i am there....ladder racks and guy sues it to haul concrete. Go figure. and it's like a two year old Escalate, not like a twelve year old one.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• balthazar

• David

• Robert Hall

• ocnblu

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This whole crossover craze has gone a bit too far....

Been away for a while.. summer stuff.. figured I'd get out an live while the weather was warm. Decided to get back into riding bikes.. had given it up back in '05 after my then wife (now ex) had issue

i didn't know the guy with the fwd jeepiat was the gatekeeper on automotive enthusiast cred...

Posted Images

2 hours ago, David said:

Amazing that some people can abuse an auto. Why have such a nice auto if you could not care less about taking care of it. Crazy.

Lazy I would guess. Or simply worked way too much......

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I cant figure out what car is burning at the 37  second mark....any ideas?

Poor Car, not fair, but then ICE does Burn well. :P 

image.png

18 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

50578011d022477ce69e9e034322245f.jpg

Good eye, amazing that someone would burn a car, but then like now crazy times for sure.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, balthazar said:

That's not the Valiant pictured, on fire. Hood edge of burned car is dead straight, and the lower air intakes are much wider on the Valiant.

Wow, I do not see those details. So then what do you suspect it is?

5 minutes ago, balthazar said:

That's not the Valiant pictured, on fire. Hood edge of burned car is dead straight, and the lower air intakes are much wider on the Valiant.

Wonder whaat it is....

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

One of these almost became my 2nd car.  A year after I started college a neighbor a few doors down from us getting a new Buick Century (97), and offered me a super deal to buy it. It only had 13k on it at the time. A week before I was to buy, someone stole the car and took the PA on a police chase...and crashed it. Still have a soft spot for these.....

• Sad 1
21 minutes ago, balthazar said:

ah-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Lookit the immense pig nostrils!!!

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 3.21.19 PM.png

That is so Hideous! What the hell are the stylist thinking? Puff Puff Pass way too much if you ask me.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

I cant figure out what car is burning at the 37  second mark....any ideas?

I saw the cover for this YouTube.  I learned a few strange things in "one thing leads to another" fashion a few days ago.

I randomly looked up Lakeview Terrace.  It is a far flung and low density neighborhood within the city of Los Angeles and in which the San Gabriel Mts. jut up behind it.  As a kid, I always liked the name and, with ~460 sq. mi worth. of city, I had never been there.  It sounded "terraced."  It's not high end at all, but some horse owners make it home, with the foothills behind it.  It is close to Pacoima, a largely Hispanic area with its share of problems, and Sylmar, another suburb that became known as the epicenter of the 1971 L.A. earthquake, upon which the 1974 film "Earthquake" was based

Lakeview Terrace is actually racially mixed.  Everyone lives there.  As I read the article, that's where the Rodney King beating took place.  It took 28 years for me to learn that fact.  I always though it occurred in South Central or other inner city area.

Then, there's an actual movie named "Lakeview Terrace."  I didn't know that.  It's about some unusual dynamics among some Lakeview Terrace neighbors who are having a row.  I plan to get the DVD and watch it.

Random association on the Random Thoughts thread gone awry.

• Upvote 1

Seems a mega recall is here for GM. Stop sale on all C8 Corvettes plus more.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36751/gm-orders-stop-sale-on-c8-corvette-over-brake-by-wire-sensor-issue-report

The recall will also apply to the Chevy Trailblazer, Buick Encore, as well as Cadillac's CT4, CT5 and XT4.

Ford Raptor Bronco with 37" tires caught off-road testing.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/36752/the-wild-ford-bronco-raptor-prototype-is-testing-with-37-inch-tires

• Upvote 1

Just like the "cybertruck" (is it tangible or not?), I was thinking the early BMW images of the giant nostrils was a farce.
But no. See below; remember when folk would sit in the sun with those folding reflective tanning boards?

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 10.33.15 PM.png

The rest of it looks straight out of 2005.

- - - - -
Gonna leave this here...

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 10.59.05 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Just like the "cybertruck" (is it tangible or not?), I was thinking the early BMW images of the giant nostrils was a farce.
But no. See below; remember when folk would sit in the sun with those folding reflective tanning boards?

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 10.33.15 PM.png

The rest of it looks straight out of 2005.

- - - - -
Gonna leave this here...

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 10.59.05 PM.png

Yeah, not a fan of that G6...look so strange!

1 minute ago, balthazar said:

Ugh; those power numbers....

- - - - -
Meanwhile: Buick torque = 4-wheel wheelies ~

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 12.14.23 AM.png

Is that a Buick Apollo?

Moltie's sarcasm sensor has been on the fritz for years.  Of course it's a Skylark but it's pointed at the moon, hence my "Apollo" comment.  SMH sigh

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Moltie's sarcasm sensor has been on the fritz for years.  Of course it's a Skylark but it's pointed at the moon, hence my "Apollo" comment.  SMH sigh

I figured that was what you meant, just chose not to address it and play it literal... I'm not sure the significance of Balthy's non sequitur comment, though.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
On 9/25/2020 at 8:32 PM, ocnblu said:

These were damn fine cars. I had a good friend, a fellow woodworker, who owned one for years. Ran over a quarter of a million miles pretty much trouble free.

Chrysler does what Toyota can't, build genuinely appealing vehicles. Even the Minivan in this detailing video has a lot more charm than most modern Toyota products.

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Bye Bye warm weather.....

My cats are inside much more.,

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I want the regular Bronco, but this will be a good little 'ute!

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This video just continues to prove how much of a pig humans can be and how lazy they are to clean up after themselves. There is NO REASON to be this lazy and not teach your kids how to be respectful of the auto as well as clean up after themselves.

I will hand it to the guy as he has some amazing talent for cleaning up as the end result is shocking on how clean and new like this auto has become.

Thanks for posting as I always learn new little tricks for keeping my own auto's top notch.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, balthazar said:

'70 Electra :

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 8.23.18 PM.png

I have a thing for the beauty of average women and the cars of the era, this pic makes my day!

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, ykX said:

Not a fan of the car but the girl is definitely not average :)

She has a girl next door charm.  Let's just define her as girl next door and someone I would like to get to know better....

Good ole Ford Truck....

• Upvote 1

One more video for today. Old song, but they are having so much fun singing, I can't resist posting it up.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

She has a girl next door charm.  Let's just define her as girl next door and someone I would like to get to know better....

Pretty girl and a Buick in a very Ohio looking setting... 

• Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Pretty girl and a Buick in a very Ohio looking setting... 

Didn't hurt my feelings at all.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ykX said:

Not a fan of the car but the girl is definitely not average :)

Right! Awesome young woman with Awesome Hair. Loved the long hair of that era and still love it today. Wish more woman would take the time to have long curly hair. Course my wife has long hair, always thought it made the woman. :D 

• Upvote 2

I don't know if today is National Coffee Day but I'm going by a Dunkin Donuts and they are proclaiming it National Dunkin Day. Buy something, get free coffee.

For $ 3, I bought 2 of those steak-egg-cheese roll ups for breakfast and got a free medium coffee. Score!

• Upvote 2
36 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Most modern vehicles don't need valve adjustments.

I'd steer clear of anything requiring valve adjustments...

• Upvote 1

Apparently my '40 has procedures to adjust the valves, tho I've not poked inside the motor and I don't hear any clattering.

- - - - -
I BESEECH anyone to tell me the benefit of this ("semi-autonomous driving"). It's FAR easier and more comfortable to actually grip something (the wheel) than hold your hands, flaoting, in mid-air. :

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 4.23.25 PM.png

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Apparently my '40 has procedures to adjust the valves, tho I've not poked inside the motor and I don't hear any clattering.

- - - - -
I BESEECH anyone to tell me the benefit of this ("semi-autonomous driving"). It's FAR easier and more comfortable to actually grip something (the wheel) than hold your hands, flaoting, in mid-air. :

Cadillac's implementation is far superior. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Cadillac's implementation is far superior. 

Keep in mind M-B's impl is in an Actros semi truck...very different driving experience than a car or SUV.  A very different use case.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Keep in mind M-B's impl is in an Actros semi truck...very different driving experience than a car or SUV.  A very different use case.

I still think what Cadillac has done could also work for a Class 8 Semi truck, but I do get the point your driving at Robert. Thanks

• Upvote 1

You're talking about a vehicle piloting itself; navigating lanes & doing appropriate speed/ braking/ distancing, with some course changes (if within the AD network of allowable operating zones). If following the laws of the roadway you're on, said vehicle should perform exactly the same whether a semi or a sedan. Did you think AD allows a sport sedan to do 90 in a 55 and cut off drivers/pass on the shoulder, but semi's shouldn't be doing that?

But the point wasn't the driving dynamics, but hard selling a technology that allows the driver to hover their fingers an inch or 2 from the wheel. That's not even to the level of a gimmick- it's downright annoying. Either steer, or fold your arms and take a nap.

Edited by balthazar

Trucks are driven professionally for 8-10 hours a day or more, everyday--cars far less on average, so its a different usage scenario. 

18 hours ago, balthazar said:

- - - - -

Have you watched an actual video if it in action? You certainly don't need to hover your hands over the wheel the entire time. 

• Thanks 1

FORD RECALLS HUGE

AP has multiple stories on recalls from Ford. 

Ford is recalling 558,000 mid size SUV/CUVs for a Brake Fluid leak issue caused by the front brake lines failing.

The recall covers certain 2015 through 2018 Ford Edge and 2016 through 2018 Lincoln MKX vehicles.

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-06525b5786d13c76a18d8c37fb42ced9

Ford is recalling 700,000 auto's as the backup camera can just go dark at any time.

The recall covers most 2020 versions of Ford’s F-Series trucks, as well as the 2020 Explorer, Mustang, Transit, Expedition, Escape, Ranger and Edge. Also included are the Lincoln Nautilus and Corsair. F-Series trucks are the top-selling vehicle in the U.S.

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-archive-2553654e6b900a207462ec2cb2575b51

Ford recalls 2.5 million auto's for latch and brake problems.

2.1 million auto's are being recalled due to latches that can fail allowing the doors to open while the auto is in motion. This is the third recall for this problem.

344,000 F-150 pickups are being recalled for Master Brake Cylinder leaks that can cause the brake system to fail resulting in crashes.

The recall covers vehicles in the U.S. and includes the 2012 to 2015 Ford Focus, the 2013 to 2014 Ford Fusion, the 2011 to 2014 Ford Fiesta, and the 2013 to 2015 Ford Escape and C-Max. Also covered are the 2013 and 2014 Lincoln MKZ, the 2015 Lincoln MKC, the 2015 Ford Mustang and the 2014 to 2016 Ford Transit Connect van.

The brake fluid recall covers certain 2014 through 2017 F-150s in the U.S. and Canada. The F-Series pickups are the top-selling vehicles in the United States.

https://apnews.com/article/593f7b1b881af8645f80297ed07fbda1

5 minutes ago, David said:

Break Fluid leak issue caused by the front break lines failing.

Just read about these big Ford recalls on the morning News feed. Especially concerning are the "brake" lines that break :smilewide:

Backup camera issue sounds like it's more of an electrical voltage drop issue than just the cameras' too.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

Just read about these big Ford recalls on the morning News feed. Especially concerning are the "brake" lines that break :smilewide:

Backup camera issue sounds like it's more of an electrical voltage drop issue than just the cameras' too.

My failure for working my job while also monitoring about the auto industry. :P 

Fixed, thank you :D 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, regfootball said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34220888/2021-bmw-x2-edition-m-mesh-revealed/

The void of Pontiac EXCITEMENT!!! is long gone

BUT IT LOOKS LIKE BMW IS OUT TO FILL THE VOID!!!

MESH GRILLE!!! RED STICKERS!!!!

some day, maybe more CLADDING

2021 bmw x2 edition m mesh

2021 bmw x2 edition m mesh

:puke:

Sums this up perfectly!

• Haha 1

I would take this way before I would want to drive that BMW.

image.png

• Upvote 1