TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

3 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

All these fake exhaust tips integrated into bumpers on all the cars these days are really starting to annoy me.

They look cheap, they get dirty much faster because they're in the exhaust stream in the case of models that have the real tips behind them, an they're usually made of plastic chrome.

I used to ask myself "why do this???" , and of course the answer was that it cuts costs. 

Like the Volkswagen ATLAS and Tiguan, they have these chrome rectangles pieces with a moudling plastic inner, made to look like an exhaust!!! WTF?!! The real tips are actually behind the bumper....

Even the new Lexus LS. Same goddamn deal, you actually even see the real tips that look cheap because they're not plated, and then you see the fake tips that are part of the bumper....I see it in new Mercedes sedans....everywhere....it triggers like an OCD like rageeeee attack in my mind.

FUCK OFF YOU FAKE EXHAUST TIPS!!!!

All of the recently released Benzes are like this.

9 hours ago, ccap41 said:

@ocnblu, what kind of commute do you have? Or what kind of miles per year do you put on your vehicles? 

24 miles each way, 5 days a week.  I usually choose between 3 routes.  One is congested suburban 2-lanes merging onto a 65 MPH 4 lane.  One is a suburban 2-lane through several small towns with a few stop lights in each town.  And one is a short suburban hop to a country 2-lane with a 50 mph limit and everyone goes 60, then onto a short suburban stretch into work.  I can tell you my favourite way to go is the latter route.  All of them take about 35 minutes to complete due to varying degrees of congestion *cough*.  Overall usually about 18k per yerr.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

+1.... how are the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango on different lists when they both use the same uConnect system?

Different buyer demographic perhaps, with different perspectives on useless, dangerous gadgets.

Reason #563 to hate CVT transmissions:  Motor Trend did a comparison test of the Subaru Crosstrek, Jeep Compass Trailhawk and Nissan Rogue Sport.

(They chose the Subaru with a weak argument over the Jeep)

But the Nissan, in a light off-road course, bogged down to the point of coming to a complete halt in sand, despite all manner of button pushing on the part of the test driver.  Could not spin a wheel to save its pathetic life.  SRSLY?  You are going to continue to foist this crap on people, Nissan?

I can think of NO good points of a CVT, and nothing magnifies the suckage as loudly as this example.

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Reason #563 to hate CVT transmissions:  Motor Trend did a comparison test of the Subaru Crosstrek, Jeep Compass Trailhawk and Nissan Rogue Sport.

But the Nissan, in a light off-road course, bogged down to the point of coming to a complete halt in sand, despite all manner of button pushing on the part of the test driver.  Could not spin a wheel to save its pathetic life.  SRSLY?  You are going to continue to foist this crap on people, Nissan?

I can think of NO good points of a CVT, and nothing magnifies the suckage as loudly as this example.

You do know Subaru Crosstrek has CVT too?

Despite that Subarus excel off road.  It is not the CVT, it is the AWD system.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Total Asian Love from MT just like Consumer Rejection.

My son's Jeep Patriot Trail rated edition with the CVT did pretty good off road and even then they ended up dumping the CVT in the final years of production for a traditional transmission.

Makes one really wonder about the engineering of the CVT which is a integral part of the awd / 4x4 system.

• Upvote 1

Yes, MT is so biased...

Subaru despite having smaller engine was faster, handled better, stopped substantially shorter, handled off-road without any trouble, have better fuel economy and cheaper too.

But yes, MT is biased.  You guys are so full of it...

Edited by ykX
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Yes, MT is so biased...

Subaru despite having smaller engine was faster, handled better, stopped substantially shorter, handled off-road without any trouble, have better fuel economy and cheaper too.

Part of the love of our site is to always have a little fun, sarcasm and challenge what everyone says. You should know this by now. :P 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I had a rental Compass for my trip back from NC to AZ a few months ago. If I could, I would pull that CVT out and kill it with fire. I will never own a CVT anything if I can help it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

22219905_1284143741697726_3683472256282166831_o.jpg

Nothing like 18 cylinder power baby! :metal: 

Everyone knows of the U.S. Census. Since 1790, it's been taken every 10 years.

This month I have received the "American Community Survey" from the US Dept of Commerce / US Census Bureau. If those of you reading this don't mind, check the year on your calendar. Yes, it's a mandatory, law-required census, to "better help determine community needs such as where to build new schools, hospitals and fire houses."

The online survey is said to take 40 MINUTES. It asks typical census-type questions, but also goes into excruciating details, such as amount of all income from interest, etc etc, and "include even small amounts of account interest".

Why should the roughly $3.00 my one checking account earns annually have anything whatsoever to do with building a new hospital? This survey takes FAR longer to complete than the 2010 census took, and my issue is not the amount of time, but why do they need to know this level of detail, and why NOW?

This is supposedly supposed to take the place of the normal census 'long form' some are mailed... but why this is not done in 2020 is unknown to me.

Guess what the fine is for not answering this survey? "Not more than $100".

Oh yea- that's totally worth it. :yes:

• Like 2

Proud of my kid.....nerd like his dad!

He was voted to be co-captain of his science competition team.....not bad for a kid who likes bugs! (and cars, and taking stuff apart...):D

• Like 2

Gotta love these MAN auto's tied up like Elephants getting through the mud.

On 10/6/2017 at 9:20 AM, ykX said:

Yes, MT is so biased...

Dammit man, the Subie did not have a turbo hydro matic 350 or tail fins either....

• Haha 1

So my daughter is dealing with some astonishingly stupid claims.  The two right now that feature GM products involve an 87 RWD Cutlass that the owner recently purchased and financed for over forty grand because it was really clean and had low miles.  It is a write off with more than a little negative equity.  Second vehicle is equally insane owner of a 2012 Malibu had 4 serious accidents on four consecutive days.

She has a dozen other claims right now seemingly just as wild.

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

So my daughter is dealing with some astonishingly stupid claims.  The two right now that feature GM products involve an 87 RWD Cutlass that the owner recently purchased and financed for over forty grand because it was really clean and had low miles.  It is a write off with more than a little negative equity.  Second vehicle is equally insane owner of a 2012 Malibu had 4 serious accidents on four consecutive days.

She has a dozen other claims right now seemingly just as wild.

An ‘87 Cutlass for $40K? I simply have no words for that absurdity. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

An ‘87 Cutlass for $40K? I simply have no words for that absurdity. 

Not to mention the absurdity of financing a 30 yr old car...who does that???

• Upvote 2

Id buy a mid 1980s GM G-Body. Pro-street it.

Id dump 40K on it...but that would be only if I had an insane amount of money in my several bank accounts...1 bank account in Switzerland, another in the Cayman Islands...

FUEL-lead-shot.jpg

But in an Oldsmobile dress...like the dude in @A Horse With No Name story!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Amazing how far we have come!

1956 IBM ships their first 5MB Disk Drive.

5MB-IBM-Disk-1956.jpg

Cost was $35,000 then or $315,209.55 cents today. :o 

• Upvote 1