TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

I cannot believe the prices in Toronto.  On my 2005 visit, I drove around Woodbridge to see how much newer brick townhomes with nice finishes with 2 levels stacked above the 2 car garage cost and they were about $325,000 to $375,000 (CDN).  I converted that into U.S. dollars (almost always a lower $ amount) and, for some reason, I thought it was sort of high.  Given what I've seen in Toronto prices based on the last R.E. magazine I checked out, I'd hate to see what those townhomes would cost now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, trinacriabob said:

I cannot believe the prices in Toronto.  On my 2005 visit, I drove around Woodbridge to see how much newer brick townhomes with nice finishes with 2 levels stacked above the 2 car garage cost and they were about $325,000 to $375,000 (CDN).  I converted that into U.S. dollars (almost always a lower $ amount) and, for some reason, I thought it was sort of high.  Given what I've seen in Toronto prices based on the last R.E. magazine I checked out, I'd hate to see what those townhomes would cost now.

Our dollar is worth about 80 cents US these days. It was at par for about 5 years when oil prices were way up there a few years back.

Those townhouses are probably worth around 900k now, maybe 1 million+ if they are luxury.  Lack of supply, GTA has 1 million more people since you last visited and the interest rates have been historically low.  We have a foreign buyers tax now as one of many measures to try and cool the market (they are working somewhat).

We are on a 33x120 lot in the city, typical double brick craftsman that has never been fully gutted.  We pay $6700 in property tax annually but it will be going up over the next few years to account for the valuation increase.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I remember USD : CDN - 1 : 1

I also remember USD : CDN - 1 : 1.52 (circa 1999 ... Prince said "let's party like it's 1999" in one of his songs )

Dang, I'm headed toward the second major job shake up in less than a year. After being laid off last year- I've been working at the old  job while searching for a new one (not another job, but a better one).Found out a few days ago that my position is disappearing and they are hoping they an transfer somewhere else.

This is why I tried hard to get out of retail in general. The industry is dying pretty quickly......:(

Trying to think positive and not stress out....this also throws of my plan of adding another degree to my current one...

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 3

Very nerve wracking, understandably, Uncle Dave.  I hope it is resolved quickly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sorry to hear about this, Dave.  All of these shake ups shake us all up.  Crazy stuff.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Very nerve wracking, understandably, Uncle Dave.  I hope it is resolved quickly.

13 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

I'm sorry to hear about this, Dave.  All of these shake ups shake us all up.  Crazy stuff.

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's not easy-but positive steps should get me there.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OUCH, Guess even the Mercedes-benz 6x6 is stopped by enough snow.

• Upvote 1

Found a Story about a EV startup that started in 1992 but never made it out of 1992. Very interesting off set seating configuration.

Bertone Blitz 

1430 lbs curb weight

72 hp electric motors

0-60 in 6 seconds.

1992_Bertone_Blitz_EV.jpg

On 2/25/2018 at 11:46 AM, balthazar said:

Thanks to Ocnblu for bringing this to my attention. Super Duty 455, 1000HP.

18 T:A.png

Just love that look...

Makes me wonder how well it would do if it came back...

On 2/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, dfelt said:

OUCH, Guess even the Mercedes-benz 6x6 is stopped by enough snow.

I've been to Cortina D'Ampezzo.  The Dolomites defy description.  They don't feel like stereotypical Italy.  It's more like being in Switzerland or Austria.

On 2/25/2018 at 11:46 AM, balthazar said:

Thanks to Ocnblu for bringing this to my attention. Super Duty 455, 1000HP.

18 T:A.png

The wheels and tail lamps say Pontiac and Firebird to me.  When they ran together, I always preferred the Firebird to the Camaro, except in '77 and '78 (owing to the nasty "Smokey and the Bandit" front fascia).

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Someone buy me this, plz.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 8.07.23 PM.png

It has old school California plates.  That is almost undoubtedly the Central Valley.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The wheels and tail lamps say Pontiac and Firebird to me.

Yah- that's cause it's a Trans Am. Trans Am Worldwide debuted it just recently, I understand it's going into production (no price yet). Video I saw sure depicted it as VERY high quality.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

OUCH BUYER BEWARE!

Ferrari approved Dealers rolling back their digital odometers increasing value of a used car.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/18857/lawsuit-suggests-ferrari-may-have-known-dealers-were-using-official-tool-to-roll-back-odometers

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

OUCH BUYER BEWARE!

Ferrari approved Dealers rolling back their digital odometers increasing value of a used car.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/18857/lawsuit-suggests-ferrari-may-have-known-dealers-were-using-official-tool-to-roll-back-odometers

Just waiting for the plaid suits now....

20 hours ago, balthazar said:

Yah- that's cause it's a Trans Am. Trans Am Worldwide debuted it just recently, I understand it's going into production (no price yet). Video I saw sure depicted it as VERY high quality.

It's going to be interesting to see if they will run into problems with using the names, logos, and other appurtenances specific to the Pontiac brand.  It has now been ~10 years since it was phased out. 

I read about it.  It's a customization kit set up for the Camaro.  However, to crank out 1,000 ponies, that calls for a very specific engine, which it will have.  When a new engine gets dropped in, it stops being a "kit" in my book.

At any rate, has anyone noticed the recent change(s) in the Yahoo search page?  While I prefer Google, this Yahoo page now features photography from its Flickr wing.  If you love nature and animal photography, some new and stellar pieces of work are being showcased all the time.  I am in awe of many of them.

• Like 1

Seems Rome has announced that starting in 2024 all Diesel auto's will be banned from city streets. Last year 1.8 million new cars were sold, 2/3rds of them Diesel.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/28/arrivederci-diesel-rome-to-ban-oil-burning-cars-by-2024/

Seems Milan has announced that no Diesel auto's will be allowed in the city starting in 2030.

Cool Police Department has their first BOLT Police car and a EV Police Bike.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1112212_is-this-the-countrys-first-chevrolet-bolt-ev-police-car

Another Video I found exciting for when you have 90 minutes to Kill is a tear down of the Chevy Bolt Battery pack.

EV Awesome! :metal: 

:roflmao:

Stupid Tourist rents brand new $82K Rang Rover, ignors signage of protected beach and gets it stuck and then abandons auto and ocean destroys the auto.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/18863/ocean-destroys-82000-range-rover-sport-after-stupid-tourists-get-stuck-on-protected-beach

The stories here are too funny including this one on a new Chevy Pickup truck gets stuck on the beach, owner rents tractor, gets stuck, talk about major cash loss.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/17360/dude-bros-get-new-chevy-silverado-rented-backhoe-stuck-in-frozen-lake-during-illegal-off-roading-attempt

Awesome Tesla X AWD pulls Semi in snow storm.

Another 4 door coupe? Some are saying a Grand 8 series coupe? Why?

^ Because obviously the 6 series grand coupe is setting the charts on fire.

- - - - -

59 Cadnose.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dfelt said:

Another 4 door coupe? Some are saying a Grand 8 series coupe? Why?

Probably the 8 series Gran Coupe or a 9 series.   The previous 6 series Gran Coupe was a sharp car.